Projects before a Festival

MadMike

Whew! Been busting my behind making some products and ordering others for our local pirate festival (and activities at the local library). Here's what I've done over the past three weeks-

1. Made a wooden quadrant loosely based on those exhibited on the Greenwich Maritime website (it's accurate to within a degree).

2. Leather covered powder flask attached to a cord, worn around the neck with a leather pouch.

3. Two replica grenades such as those found on the Whydah and suspected QAR wreck. Totally inert, used some pool balls (will have to order wrought iron fence post balls eventually).

4. Constructed a trades good box/personal camp box much like that exhibited on Foxe's Period Seaman picture website (1700's traders).

5. Made leather belt pouch much like that recovered from the Whydah and the Phipps Expedition wreck.

6. Helped local library with a public display, provided replica artifacts including gold bars (small and large as per Atocha wreck), cartridges, gold chain, replica reales and doubloons, and several pic's from Johnson's "Pyrates".

7. Ah yes, the gold bars... what a pain! Obtained data from a website picturing ENRADA gold bars and chiseled a mould from some scrap wood laying around. My electric lead smelter crapped out the second day, so built a fire on the patio to melt two pounds at a time. Made small and large bars, stamped them with doubloons to give the impression of mint marks (could only do so much). Spray painted with a metallic gold paint, the results were great.

8. Constructed a cat-o-nine tails using stout cord 24" long knotted every two inches- attached to a 1 1/2" dowel (that one got everyone's attention) .

9. Hand sew'd a roughly 3'x5' flag made on the Worley pattern. Skull and crossbones were painted on by hand both sides using oil based paint. All edges hand sewn (not whipstitched).

10. Read "Pirate Jam" to the local kid's at the library (what humiliation). Managed to avoid the "Drunken Sailor" sing-a-long.

Got an activity June 9th and then that's it for several months...

Will try to post pic's.

Yours, &c.

Mike the Exhausted

Try these for starters- "A General History of the Pyrates" edited by Manuel Schonhorn, "Captured by Pirates" by John Richard Stephens, and "The Buccaneers of America" by Alexander Exquemelin.

Well done Mike! and I'm glad the picture collection has been useful to someone.

I can see this being an ongoing thread. Over here were all going all out for the Trafalgar celebrations (even if the French have complained that it's not PC), and the biggest event of the whole year, the International Festival of the Sea is only about 3 weeks away now. The trouble is that I'm the only person in the group who's ever done Nelsonian living history before. So, in the last couple of months I've:

1. Made a complete "undress" captain's uniform for my father

2. Made a complete master's mate's uniform for me

3. Made new trousers to go with my lieutenant's uniform

4. Made 3 complete sailor's outfits (coats, waistcoats, trousers, and painted top hats), and 3 spare coats

5. Been to no less that 4 meetings at Portsmouth dockyard

6. Done minor moderations to make my skiff authentic for 1805.

7. Embroidered and made a sword knot

8. Researched and printed the words and music to 20 Trafalgar era sea-songs.

9. Portrayed one quarter of a crowd and Nelson's flag lieutenant in a TV documentary.

10. Made a complete lady's outfit (dress, jacket, hat)

I am also in the middle of:

11. Making a 4th sailor's outfit

12. Making a second complete lady's outfit

13. Making a midshipman's uniform coat and waistcoat

14. Fitting a bracket to the stern of my skiff to take a flag so we can row Nelson round to inspect his ships in the dockyard by water.

15. Having a nervous breakdown.

By the time it's all finished I estimate I will have used up 25 metres of navy blue wool, 10 metres of white duck, 6 metres of assorted linen, 5 metres of assorted wool, about 60 metres of lining fabric, 4 complete reels of thread, 5 skeins of embroidery thread, 198 buttons (aaarrgh, I have nightmares about button holes!), 300 pints of coffee.

And this is my HOBBY?!?!

Mike, do you think we could start some sort of country retreat for people like us to go and recover?

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Foxe,

Outstanding work! I hand sew'd a period shirt several year's ago, took about 30 hours. Anyone who is a tailor or seamstress making period garments has my admiration (whether they work by hand or machine).

A country retreat sounds like a great idea, maybe we should start a foundation/retirement home for pirate reenactors.

Yours, &c.

Mike

Try these for starters- "A General History of the Pyrates" edited by Manuel Schonhorn, "Captured by Pirates" by John Richard Stephens, and "The Buccaneers of America" by Alexander Exquemelin.

Not so fast Guys!

Post pictures please!!! I would love to see your stuff/projects.

I have been working on a short sailors jacket. I am kind of burnt out now but have been fumbling through the process. I have the lining and the shell, I just need to sew them together and hand sew about 35 button holes.

I will post a picture when its done though!

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Well Done, Foxe!!

Getting ready for the Trifle-Jar celebrations, are we?

BTW- Love the King's Colour with the bombs. Any provenance?

Hawkyns

:wub:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Yeah, we got some groovy "Twatting-the-French" events on his year, apart from Festival of the Sea we're doing a couple of other small events plus Sheerness Trafalgar weekend (where Victory was moored on her return from the battle) and hopefully the actual Trafalgar weekend on HMS Trincomalee. Early next year we're doing Nelson's funeral events in London. Busy time ahead, plus of course it's the 400 year anniversary of the only honest man in Parliament in November.

The flag is that of Thomas Anstis which is described as a Union flag with flaming balls in each quarter. The grenadoes are my interpretation of "flaming balls"

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to wait until after the International Festival of the Sea to start posting photographs, but I'm just too excited...

CaptainSmith.jpg

My father as Captain Sir Sidney Smith

lieutenanthanchett.jpg

And me as Lieutenant Hanchett

I'm sure I'll have a million and one more photos after IFOS. ;)

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

As soon as I get a full night's sleep, I'll compose and post my own list. I cannot believe the number of things I accomplished in preparation for this year's season of Civil War reenacting and (more urgently) my first public Pirate event.

But -- great outfits. Really great.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg