Found it!

Fox

While looking for something else today I can across this and could hardly believe it. It's a caricature of a Greenwich Pensioner (an inmate of the Greenwich Hospital for wounded seamen) drawn by George Cruikshank in 1827. :blink:

cruikshank1827.jpg

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Funny you should say that Pynch, I've been trying to persuade my dad to let me make him a Greenwich Pensioner's uniform for some 1805 events we're doing this year, but he made me make him a Captain's uniform instead. I though that was far less interesting...

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Funny you should say that Pynch, I've been trying to persuade my dad to let me make him a Greenwich Pensioner's uniform for some 1805 events we're doing this year, but he made me make him a Captain's uniform instead. I though that was far less interesting...

Keep at him Foxe...there are far too many Captains and not enough of Pensioners to keep things interesting. I'm sure he'd be an instant hit.

Thanks for all the great information.

"Show me a man with a tattoo, and I'll show you a man with an interesting past." ~Jack London

Life is a Circus, and I am the Human Cannonball.

Thorn, I'm guessing he can't and that's why his tankard is on the table... :lol:

Pynch, he normally plays either a boatswain or a seaman, but he wanted a smart outfit for the evenings at a couple of events so we're kitting him out as Sir Sidney Smith - he was an interesting character!

I got the idea for dressing him as a Greenwich pensioner when I saw a guy dressed as a Chelsea pensioner (the army equivalent) at an event earlier this year. The Chelsea pensioner was about 80 though and me old man thought it was a bit of an insult to dress him as one too.

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

Great piccie, but how can he smoke and drink at the same time?????

Yeah, and how does he do the hookey pookie? :o

It looks like he is doing the hokey-pokey!

Put your left peg in put your left peg out

You put your left peg in and shake it all about

You do the hokey-pokey and turn yourself about

That's what it's all about! :lol:

(Hmm womderng if the hokey-pokey really is what it's all about :lol: )

Nice!! That would make a sweet tattoo! Hmmm....Pynch? ? ;)

I'd do that one gratis just fer the fun of it!

"Show me a man with a tattoo, and I'll show you a man with an interesting past." ~Jack London

Life is a Circus, and I am the Human Cannonball.