Where d'ya spend the booty?

Pew

In creation of each of your costumes, where did you spend the most money? Weapons? Boots? Hats? Tankards?

Looking back would you have done anything different, (or spent the money in a different part of your outfit)?

Would you recommend "making" some of the costume, allowing you to spend more money, etc on weapons . . .

Any help or opinions are appreciated.

:(

(Mugs of rum available.) :(

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

Well since I am not going to spend money on firing flints...Most re-enactorments focus on the gents...the ladies are just show...not in the action. So, I have non-firing replicas. Good enough says I.

My swords and daggers, well, I am lucky enough to live close to swordsonline warehouse...and can get them at a pretty good price. They keep a barrel that has those with small dents and dings in them (hey taking a piece from another ship would have the same...so why not save a few coins :( )

The rest of m'garb has been fairly descent priced...though m'bodice was a bit steep...sigh, god given can't help it...had to find something to fit proper...narrow middrift....upper ...ah ...bit generous to say the least...so got one and have to have it adjusted for the difference. :(

Some of my accessories I made and that saved me some coin.

Consequently, it seems I will be spending most of my money on my boots. I need good fitting ones. (because of a severe injury to my leg....thankfully I can walk but the metal shaft makes it difficult to find a pair of boots) So, the boots will be the most expense because it looks like they will need to be custom fitted.

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...

Avoid ebay when buying non-firing replica pistols. You can almost always get them for less by shopping around online. This isn't always the case, but replica pistols are often cheaper through a distributor.

Look for sales. Find places that offer clothing and accessories and then be patient. Sales come along all the time.

Make as much of your own costume as possible. Then it is both unique and you can brag about creatiing it yourself.

Try to buy from other pirates. This helps them sell their goods and it keeps everything in the "family". For instance, this month alone I'm buying items from three different pirates here on the Pub. This helps them continue in their craft and it means that my costume is unique, hand made and one of a kind.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpg

well as some of you might have guessed or seen i have spent a small fortune on my weaponry but quality will out ...over the years working as an actor at faires and doing theatre i have had a clause in my contracts that any costumes made for me in period garb is part of my payment...and i have a rather substantial under carriage and since most places don't stock or have access to larger sized boots i have also invested in several pairs of period boots and have made moccasins for my colonial/rendevous kit as for accessories i have found excellent things in thrift shops and rumage/yard sales pewter mugs for example for as little as $.50 leather belts and bags for as little as $.25 and traded for a lot of other things and purchased and sold stuff to get better lot prices( buy 6 and sell 4)

and since i have been doing this for a long time i have amassed a rather substantial collection and my house looks like an period manor house inside with all the kit i can use for now ...but always look for bargains!!!

My footwear was the most expensive I've shelled out.

I have some Bald Mountian moccasins that come up and just above my ankle. At the time they originally cost $550.00. But since I was working the faire at the time I got a discount of $450.00. Of course that was at a time I had money.

A friend of mine who moved to Hawaii a few years back, gave me her knee high Bald Mountian moccasins that normally sell for $800.00.

I sure did luck out on that.

The Bald Mountian shoes are custome made to your foot, as are many other footwear offerings nowadays at faires. They are not cheap, but they fit, and they are comfortable.

I've picked up some really cool shoes at K-Mart of all places for about $14.00 that work well too. Depending on what outfit I'm wearing will determine what shoes I wear.

As for weapons, my first and only weapon for years was a small eating knife. As time has gone on, I have quite an arsenal now. More knives than ever (a few I've actually found), a sword, gun (not real), and a few other goodies. Ya, like I'm going to wear all of that stuff at one time.....good way to really make my back hurt!

As for tankards, hit your nearest Thrift store. There's bound to be plenty of them of all kinds. Hey the ones with the Playboy bunny on them are cute. You might even find one with your real name engraved on it.

Geesh I have lots....I use them to fill up my treasure chest for display when needed. I found some really cool wooden goblets at a Thrift store too. I had to tell people to stop giving me mugs, I have an over-flow of them.

As for garb, most I've made myself.

Interesting thread... so I'll chime in.

So far the most money I have spent has been on my Early 18th Century Justaucorp. I am a stickler for detail and it took me forever to find 100% silk grosgrain ($60 per meter). Then the tailors time added $$$ as well, so I don't like to think how much it cost me.

Slops I am making/made myself out of 100+ year old hand woven linen that I found at an antique market.

Tricorn was about $100

Shoes, were custom made in England and were about $160, though the ones I really want are from Sarah Juniper and would cost over $350.

The cheapest firearm I think is the Pendersoli Queen Anne kit that is about $200, but figure on $300-$500+ for most handguns

Swords... for a correct early 18th Century sword, you will probably have to have one made. For a great reproduction cutlass, plan on spending around $600 (check out the Early European Double Shell Cutlass).

There is a line from the movie Mad Max where Max is getting his car fixed and the mechanic says

"speed is just a question of money, how fast do you want to go?"

That applies with re-enacting too, "Authenticity is just a question of money, how Authentic do you want to look?"

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Easy- weaponry. Custom swords, authentic firing guns, hand-made knives, 4 cannon. Easy enough to go a few grand when I add it all up. Clothing and leather gear I mostly make. The materials are not cheap, but it's still way less than what I spent on weapons.

Hawkyns

:rolleyes:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

There is a line from the movie Mad Max where Max is getting his car fixed and the mechanic says

"speed is just a question of money, how fast do you want to go?"

That applies with re-enacting too, "Authenticity is just a question of money, how Authentic do you want to look?"

Wow... well put GoF!!! I think that's going to be my new sig file!!!

As for my answers to those questions...

Where do I spend the most money? On firepower. Itpo (in this pyrate's opinion), one can never have enough blackpowder firearms.

Would I have done anything different? Yes, I would've done even more research in order to get things done right the first time. (Something we re-enactors all know too well.)

Would I recommend making your clothes? Yes, most of them are rather easily sewn. And by doing so, you'll look a step or two cooler than those who are wearing puffy shirts they found for sale on ebay! :rolleyes:

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Great help and ideas!

Funny though, most of the women lean towards good boots or footwear, most of the men towards weapons (except for Mr. Petee.)

:)

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

Would I have done anything different? Yes, I would've done even more research in order to get things done right the first time. (Something we re-enactors all know too well.)

But that is why I sujested starting with semi-period shirt and slops..... if you wanna be a reenactor, your not out much money, and you now know what you want.... but if you wanna go play Pyrate, once again, you haven't spent a lot of money ..... That way, you can still "play", and take your time to find exactly what you want, and what is right for you.........