Good buy

Charity

Some years back i bought a equinoctial ring dial on the flee market for the price of a little over $1! (I said $3.14 first but i forgot i didn't buy it for 2.50 euro but guilders! I've had it for more time then we have the euro..)

I have seen them several times on the web in nautical stores, and mostly old ones and they'd be over $200 but now i've found a new one and it says it's ="made based on the 16th - 17th century designs found in European museums."

ROTFL...$110!!!!

I am loving this..ya know those programs where people bring stuff they bought for a few dimes and get it taxated and it turns out so valuable..i always say i wish that would happen to me but it has! :o:o:o

This one's mine:

myring.jpg

And this is the store i just saw it:

nautical gift shop

Needless to say i am VERY happy with it :ph34r::o:o

hero.jpg

I found the very same Ring Sundial on ebay last year and I sniped it at US$ 12.50, which I thought was a real steal. Congrats to your 1 $ buy!

BTW The Ring Dial is from Franklin Mint and was in a series with other scientific instruments, among these an astrolabe, a gunner's level etc. I am still looking for those on ebay at a reasonable price, but so far, no luck.

banner.jpg

"The floggings will continue until morale improves!"

Congrats to you too :)

From all i've seen you've a heck of a bargain too :huh:

I was talking over the posibilities of how it ended up on a flea market on our national holiday.

Either the person who put it up for this little didn't know what he/she was dealing with..OR..one of the children (or spouse) took if without knowledge of the person who owned it :ph34r:

In that last case..someone may have gotten in BIG trouble, but for me it was lucky LOL..

hero.jpg

perhaps like a few swords i picked up

never look the gift horse in the mouth

it might have been part of the contents of a house that was emptied in an estate and just cleared at whatever they thought it might bring in ready $

:ph34r:

never look the gift horse in the mouth

Ohh no, never meant to do that ashamed05.gif

It was on a flee market on the town's square on Queens day, which is mostly children who sell things there,and some adults, that's why i wondered but i know people often offer boxes of things for the kids to sell on those flee markets so you may very well be right :)

hero.jpg

BTW The Ring Dial is from Franklin Mint and was in a series with other scientific instruments, among these an astrolabe, a gunner's level etc. I am still looking for those on ebay at a reasonable price, but so far, no luck.

I have the ring dial, the astrolabe, and one other... a sun-dialy compassy thingie...

Fwiw, one might be better off buying a hand-crafted version of these, if the prices for the Franklyn Mint versions are that high.

Go here for some history and pics.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.