Pyrates of the West Coast

Hours had passed. Jim had searched all of the decks, holds and storage lockers. Any place that a sailor could hole up for some much needed rest or a secretive noggin of grog. No one on the ship had seen John Sons since before the storm. His hammock was stowed, his sea chest secured. No clothing that could be identified as belonging to Mr. Sons could be found hanging among the drying clothes and oilskins, and Christine could not remember seeing Shipwreck at table or requesting coffee.

John “Shipwreck” Sons was not aboard the Watch Dog.

Jim Warren hurried back to tell the Quartermaster the news.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A quick survey of surrounding ticked away nuances and details of the English frigate as Capitain Fournier followed behind the officer of undeniable Celt beginnings in quest of the audience he sought. Thanking the Quartermaster who had made introduction as being Mister Lasseter, Fournier stood placidly in wait of what might occure with enterance unto the Other's lair...

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

Noting the presence of the French Captain, Jim gained the Quartermaster’s side and whispered, “Mister Lasseter, sir. I did as ye bid me, at least as far as findin’ Mr. Sons. Shipwreck ain’t aboard sir.”

3ff66f1f.jpg

With removal of hat, Capitaine Founier kept his peace for a moment after the exchange of proper pleasantries. Retrieving the teak box from velvet grasp, he placed it upon the table and slid it to Captain Hollande's reach, as smile of irony crossed his expression.

"I do believe that the contents of that object belong to you, Capitaine...Therin, it is stated by decree that all under my country's rule are to extend aid and service to you if in need..."

The tall Frenchman considered his wording, before continuing on.

"Then...I shall do as is deemed...I do encourage you to listen carefully to what I will say and keep these wisdoms close at hand in regard to what has been given into your possesion..."

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

William looked at the box, but he left it untouched. He understood the gravity of its contents, but he nodded toward Fournier to continue.

This was interrupted by a knock on the ward room door.

"Enter."

Mister Lasseter came around the table and explained the discoveries that were following in fast succession. William's face didn't change much, but he excused himself from Captain Fournier's company, stepping into the corridor with Mister Lasseter. Once they were out of the room, William questioned Mister Lasseter at length.

"Did Mister Sons go back aboard before we cut away from the Danzig?"

"Not with permission from myself or the Bosun."

William placed his hands behind his back and his brow furrowed. "Send word over to the Danzig, post haste. If they cannot account for him, then give the word to search the ship stem to stern. Send word aloft and return with word."

William watched Mister Lasseter go and stood a moment composing himself before returning to the ward room.

"Please continue."

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpg

The Frenchman cocked a brow to the loose manner of the Other's bearing and the amber hued vision narrowed a slight in reaction. There seemed an odd tensness that lingered the air aboard this vessel, one that extended beyond the norm in after effect to the passing storm. Keeping a guise of calm, Capitaine Fournier continued...

" I do not know how or why said contents have been given unto you so easily, though the one that gave me dispatch in near past shurly had something to do with it. And it is in my wondering as to how you would have any connection to the Bertrands..."

He fixed his eyes to William's.

" I am sure you know nothing of the individual who's signature and seal grace that document...I on the other hand, do, and warn that placing faith in the power's of wealth bought title can be a tricky game to play and advise strongly, that you do not view that document as a ticket of free passage and redemption. There are many that consider a "Privateer" no more than a glorified thief and heathen."

The words hung the air heavily as the Frenchman scrutinized the man before him.

"And there are many that consider a "Frenchman" no more than a sanctimonious cheese eater and a wine tippler." William added conversationally, "But I put little stock in such one sided opinions."

William poured Fournier a drink. He came around the table to place the glass directly in the man's hand.

"To his majesty, Louis, King of France." William said with a smile. "May his reign on Earth be a long and pleasant one."

Fournier accepted the glass graciously, allowing the first comment to slide without reaction or comment. To the second, he raised the offering with a minute show of hesitation to toast. With sampling of spirited content and a nod of approval he noted William's segue from queries poised and setting the glass down continued observations.

"It is in my thinking that for one to persue such occupations as what document states, one should be wise in selecting the company they choose...I shall offer you this, in respect of the man I think you to be. On ealier visitation, mention had occured in regard to a certain Dutch individual. With proper endorsement, that idividual could do much in the ways of engraciating yourself to certain patrons of high and secure lineage...a bartering you may wish to call it."

The ironic smile appeared again.

William sat down on the edge of the table. He sipped his drink for a moment, before speaking.

"Let us not mince words, Captain. I'm a man of the sea. Politics and policies are reefs and sandbars. This box is just an extra anchor."

William tapped the small box containing the marque.

"Just because a man has a thing, that does not mean that he will use it. Please, speak plainly."

Jean-Micheale inwardly gave nod of approval to the other's verve and contiued hypothetic wording...

"Politics are the bane of the world, Capitaine Hollande. I have no use for the frivolous whims of the children who play us all as pawns..."

He chuckled.

"What I am telling you, is that in the ways of the current world, loyalties and enimies shift with the tide and winds. What I am relaying to you is a way to ensure some form of security to yourself and crew. The Dutchman has a long history of making poor decisions and has gained the hatred of many...I know of one who would be quite pleased to have that individual in his grasp...A man who would pay dearly to have such...It is a choice of your own, for it benefits myself not one way or the other."

Savoring from the glass's content he considered a moment...

" The pearls that are offered from oyster's shell come in many forms, Capitaine...It is a matter of knowing when one is presented to one's palm."

"I would gladly deliver Mister Scully into the hands of those whom he would find least favorable. He was on my ship for under a quarter of an hour, before my men lined up to beg the favor of shooting him. I almost let them when I learned of his foolishness in the face of so much arrogance. I do believe if I had been in a poorer mood, I would have let them all shoot him once or twice each."

William refreshed Fournier's glass without asking, continuing on in his disregard of Scully.

"In a world where such men as Scully are made Captain, while patriots are made to dance the hemp jig on air, one must except opportunity where one may.

Who is this person who would take our dear and revered Scully away from us and all the world? Let us make haste to that port."

The Frenchman gave a look of appreciation to the refresh of liquid spirits and partook of the offering with a note of relish. Swirling the content in thought, Jean-Micheal considered the words spoken.

" The man in question is a Don located on the Isle of Margarita...A man who enjoys the company of this sanctimonious cheese eater and wine tippler, who's daughter is of certain endearments to myself..."

The statement was punctuated with a hint of secretive smile.

" There is no haste to be made in obtaining that port of call, but, can be made in just over a day's lapse if the conditions fair you well and your vessel is fleet of passage...two days under normality."

Finishing the glass's content, Fournier set it down to the table's surface and focused on the other's expression.

" I thank you for your hospitality, Capitaine. I advise that you speak with those who's council you consider of sound bearing to assure your decision. I beleive that we have both seen a very long and wearing night in our recent past and to this...I shall bid you good evening and good rest. In regard to the subjects breeched, I shall extend to you and your officers an invitation to dine as my guests aboard "Chasse de Mer" when it is of convienence. At that time, we may share a bottle of fine Calvados and you may then tell me your mind. Until then, Capitaine Hollande..."

The smile that now displayed itself was one of genuine warmth, but as the Frenchman turned to take leave, he paused in step.

" Be mindful to the treacherous nature of the man you know hold in security, he will bite the hand that feeds, if given opportunity in which to do so..."

The single most energizing place of solitude on a ship is up on main mast in the basket. I was dreaming about watching as the sun came through ending the grey green cover of storms bid. Then right behind storms end was the expected winds chasing it further on away and to the west. I with every bit of my awares too watch the 'orizon and nay a sail were seen. While the launch made its way over to our ship I was noticing the French were of even keel noting the unbridled silence in the craft. A silence of somber address. I made notes on my sermon for sabbaths service. (What should I call it?) Perhaps? The silence of the lambs. Right then and there we could have taken the French friggate. I watched below as our gunners stood in ready without the look of being so. I could smell coffee on the fires and the galley was in full steam. Effortlessly too I saw the Captain walk straightened with courage and determination as he greeted the French and welcomed them aboard. Though I knew not what was up with Jim and the Quartermaster I knew it weren't good. When my shift ended and I were finally chanced to my quarters I made haste so as to not be with introductions met with our visitors. I went straight away into dreams. Dreams of magnificent sea battles and our foes flying white flags of consent trying to save what little life had been spared by our gunners accuracies. To the winners the spoils and the losers...... Wakened startled out of my sleep I heard running down the corridor outside first wakening me during the load heavy footed approach and then as I sat up I said who goes there? To no avail as the running continued and hearing the following oncomming and retreating sound of two sets of feet giving in as the chase bid further gone. I sat there in the nights silence Thinking who and what was that all about?

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

William waited until Fournier and his men had pushed off in the French cutter before gathering all of the deck crew and officers of the watch to the gun deck. He conversed quietly with Mister Lasseter while they gathered.

"Lads...Lasses...We have an urgent matter at hand. While we passed through this storm relatively unscathed, it is now apparent that we may have lost Mister Sons."

He waited while they exchanged looks amongst each other.

"It appears that he was taken overboard by wave or malady to a silent end. He has not been found aboard the Watch Dog or the Danzig, and I cannot see how he would have found his way to the Chasse de Mer. For the sake of prudence, let us search the Watch Dog one last time before we declare him lost. Watches shall be sent aloft and we shall put the barge in the water."

William turned to Mister Warren. "Please take the Samson around both ships and put four good men on the Danzig to search it again."

William paused to think for a moment. He had to cover the subject of Mister Van Buren, but he didn't want to cast him in a bad light until it could be discovered why he had hidden himself for so long a time.

"Everyone not about a specific duty is to go in pairs to search for Mister Sons and Mister Van Buren. If either of them is found, they are to be brought to the ward room."

After sending out the crew on the search, the Captain is approached by his steward. "Sir, far be it from me to tell you what to do . . . but sit down! You'll be the death of yourself.' After almost forceably pushing the captain into a chair in the ward room, she poured him a drink. 'Now, wait here, and I'm going to bring you something to eat. And if I come back and find you gone, on the search . . ." She didn't finish the threat, but glared at the captain, wagging a finger at him.

::Mr Warren and Mr. Lasseter look about the deck and point at myself, Mr Firethorne, Pete Straw, and Ciaran. Nudging Mr. Ciaran, I say:

Those ole eyes of yours 'll be put to the test 'ere today, eh mate? I be 'oldin' the tiller for ya . . .

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

not being able to sleep another moment I dress and make my way up to the main deck to where it is that I am told of our dearly missing freind Mr. John Sons "Shipwreck" as he be known and the search it already in full operations I see. So I return to me quarters pick up me brings'em near and upon return to main deck ask our Quartermaster that a few oil rag arrows be a fires so as to lighte up the aways and create a place of reflection to allow anythin atween us and thems a silouette in which to be much easier to make than from the dark ahind us. I begins me away search facing straight into the west. Two firey projectiles are shot out and stayin lit on the surface do indeed give us the chance to better see the distances away.

As it so often happens I hears footsteps ahind me and turn and see Merc. Steward I says, would it be with any small effort that the good cook might have any soups on the fires tonight? Merc answers me with a nod of negative origens as she is hurridly making her way past and carrying a nice tray fit fer the captains involve.

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

“Barge Crew, to the boat. Clear away and lower when ready; Mr. P. E. W. and Mr. Cirian, torches for the boat if ye please. You two, Mr. Straw an’ Mr. Firethorne will search the Danzig when we come along side. ‘Tis dark, so keep a sharp eye. The Monsignor will keep the water alight wi’ fire arrows. Anyone sees anything report immediately. Strange things ‘ere lads, so be watchin’ out fer each other as well. Now set to it!”

3ff66f1f.jpg

I cups me hands and yells out to the barges crew even afore it reaches the waters surface. Something in the waters men! On the mark three points a starbord four maybe five ship lengths away. I'll guide you in!

“Aye, Diego! Ye ‘eard ‘im lads, ready: pull away! We’ll make short work o’ this distance.”

A few stout strokes of the oars and the Samson is approaching the area indicated by Diego.

“Diego! Where away?”

3ff66f1f.jpg