Pyrates of the West Coast

(Ciaran climbs to his position high above deck, glass to eye as he reaches the nest)

I wonder if one of the most important steps on our journey is the one in which we throw away the map.

-- Loreena McKennitt

My fathers knew of wind and tide, and my blood is maritime.

-- Stan Rogers

I don't pretend to be captain weird.

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On second thought Mr P E W and Mr Johnson prepare under certain duress the two twelve pounders (I leans in close in almost a whisper to their backs as they seem to be busied by rope repairs) do not be seen loading the big guns both of them. See to it thay are not facing the Frigate. And cover your actions with canvas. When done preload every other pair up the line facing her. Then go back to the 12's stand and be the smarts for if we need them they will be put to the task of blowiin waterline holes fifteen paces from each other in the facing hull. Gentle men if this comes to a boil of blood let it not be yours. You might get off one shot then you'll be a target. Move up the line skipping sets to return to your previously loaded guns. Is this understood?

They both answered with smiles... yessir!

Make haste men

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

:: As Jack is preparing the arms for deployment, he runs across three short Enlish-made pistols fitted out for grenado cups. He looks back Armand and grins like a young boy at Christmastime. He latches the cups in place on two of them, and tosses one of the destructive weapons to Armand ::

Looks like we might just have us a bit of fun today, eh, mate?

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

" Accueillir, Monsieur Holland...Capitaine Holland? Mon nom Lieutenant Dominique-Gaston Lamair. Enchante' ."

The Lieutenant noted a brief confusion in the other's features.

"Pardon...I have the impression that you are not over familiar to our tongue, oui?"

He chuckled.

"It is of no matter, I am capable to your anglais...Capitaine Fournier will be here to greet you very soon."

Dominique did a subtle survey of the surround to ensure all was as should be. Those that graced the deck did so with perfect attention to poise and etiquette. From behind, a slender man of dencent hiegth approached with confident stride, the intelligent eyes looking over their guest with interest.

Removing his hat, Fournier extended a hand of good faith to William.

'Bonjour et accueiller...."

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

"Merci beaucoup."

William took the man's hand and greeted him as one might a neighbor. The man was possesed of a strong grip and nearer to William's height than Scully had been. William graced him with a genuine smile.

"And with that, gentlemen, we have exhausted the length and breadth of my practical French. I am afraid that I must inconvenience you with my English."

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpg

::Cut-Throat and I make haste in loading the cannon. Quickly, quietly, under great stealth. Seems like we just did this eh PEW?, says Cut-throat.::

Aye, 'cept for now we be under tarp.

::Quietly, we laugh between us.::

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

A good natured laugh emitted from Fournier in response to William's statement.

"That is fine...We can accomidate your...need. May I offer you something to steel your throat and relief from the morning heat?"

Fournier stepped back with a wave of hand to indicate direction.

"Your crewmember's waiting below may come upon deck, there is no reason for them to suffer in the sun, non? I believe you will find my quarters of comfort...If you please, monsieur...or is it Capitaine?"

The French captain guaged william's manner shrewdly but not in an obvious way, then turning with the flash of smile again, lead on to where the things would be revealed to both sides...

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

::The QuarterMaster kept the image if his captain and the officers of the frigate in his glass, watching for anything that might seem out of place...::

Aye... greetin's greetin's... Hmmm... a laugh... ah, goin' below fer refreshments.... very perdictable... lets 'ope it stays tha' way....

::He moved his glass about the french ship, noting all the crew aboard... not a man out of place it seemed...::

Frenchy runnin' a tight ship...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

William considered this, and decided that Mister Warren and the others might have no more of a chance aboard the ship then in the water if trouble should arise.

"Very well. Mister Warrern, you are invited aboard to wait out of the sun."

Mister Warren made a face that wasn't quite appreciative of the invitation, but sent all of the lads up the ropes to the deck of the frigate just the same, joining them at the last.

William followed Fournier below into a ward room set with several chairs. Fournier did not take one himself, but he offered William a place in which to sit. Even as he did so, Fournier attempted a daring chess move early on, in what William had suspected might be as revealing a game as that which he had known with Moreau.

"Capitaine Hollande, are you not also known as this William Brand?"

William wasn't even settled in his seat as this question came. Fournier excepted a glass from his steward as William looked up. William was not surprised at the question. Not terribly happy about it, but not surprised. Of course Fournier would know who he was. A good captain would make it his business to know. Moreau had known.

William could have lied then. He had practiced much on the art of deception, but deception was only as good a weapon as the situation in which it might be used. Instead, he made a counter move of pure truth. He was in a habit of playing his king earlier in every game.

"No, Capitaine. It would be better said that I AM William Brand and I am also known as William Hollande. For William Brand is my name and by it have I been a Captain more than once. William Hollande was never raised above the station of a caulker."

:: Jack finishes the arrangement of arms to his satisfaction. He leans heavily against the bulkhead, drawing Armand's attention ::

Non. Non, monsieur. Just a bit winded after not being active for a stretch of time. Nothing to worry about. I'll be hobbling about in a few moments, as normal.

:: He laughed wryly, then became a bit more serious ::

Tell me, mon ami; the commander of this frigate, is he known to you? And if so, is he an honorable man? I do so hate killing men who would otherwise be known as "honorable"... No fault of their own, to be sure. Wrong place, wrong time, and all that. I'd like to give him an honest turn, that's all.

The Surgeon stood near the Quartermaster perched with extended glass. Inwardly she was cursing William's decision in not having her accompany him. Tempest was familiar with some of the French Capitaine's ways and it would do nothing less than ease things with her presence known. She was rousted out of musing by the offhand observation made by Dorian.

"Frenchy?...."

Fournier gave a hint of smile to the response presented and then acted as if nothing had been said at all. With his steward's arrival and a round poured, Fournier leaned upon the top of chair back directly across from where William sat.

"Capitaine, this is an interesting turn of the card...And I dare to say that "your aid" to that other vessel is not as it may appear..."

Fixing William with amber scrutiny, he went on.

"So...for the sake of curiosity....Where is the crew to the other vessel and better yet, where is her capitaine?"

There was a certain chilling to the soul that arrived with the smile now in place.

Fournier's smile did nothing to William in the least, though he imagined what it might do to most. William had once stared down the twisted visage of a man whose smile and soul went beyond description, still he stayed on the side of care as he spoke.

"My aid is exactly as it appears, whatever you may have heard about me notwithstanding. It is aid as aid may be on the sea. Mutually beneficial. We came upon the Danzig Trader burned to her weatherdecks and in need of much assistance."

William paused to except a glass offered by the Captain's steward.

"Their captain, a man who could have obtained such a title and position only by purse, had used up the fresh water stores of that wounded ship to put out the fires aboard her."

William watches Fournier, searching it no more than any casual observer, before continuing.

"Captain Scully, was re..." William stops, noting a small change in the otherwise unchanging face of Fournier.

The Surgeon stood near the Quartermaster perched with extended glass. Inwardly she was cursing William's decision in not having her accompany him. Tempest was familiar with some of the French Capitaine's ways and it would do nothing less than ease things with her presence known. She was rousted out of musing by the offhand observation made by Dorian.

"Frenchy?...."

Aye... frenchy... beggin' yer pardon, but they is frenchies on tha' ship....

::he pulls his eye from the glass and shoots a humorous look at the Surgeon::

Ye know all about them, doesn't ye...?

::with a half grin he refocuses on the frigate, seeing the barge crew heading up the side... his demenor changes slightly...::

Hmmm.... barge crew goin' aboard... canna tell iffn' tha' be a goode 'r bad thing.... Hmmmm...

:: glances at Tempest ::

Yer not offended by th' 'frenchy' remark, aye? Yer made o' tougher stuff...

This ol' Mick knows tha' by now....

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

The mention of name brought all into focus and to the fore front with the narrow of eyes.

"Pardon, Capitaine....Hollande...You did say...Scully, did you not? And you have this man in your possesion, oui?"

Waving his steward near, Fournier made a quiet request and waited for the servent's return. Obtaining the object requested, Fournier made way around the long sweep of table and placed the teak box down in front of William.

"What is this?" William asked, but when Captain Fournier did not answer, William opened the box revealing a Letter of Marque entitling William with a freedom to plunder the enemies of the French at will.

William looked up at Captain Fournier and sipped his drink with a small smile.

"Captain Scully is in my hold, but I must tell you, I have traded in good faith with those who have survived him, leaving them with enough to arrive in port. I cannot use the latitude of this document to go back upon my word, since it is the only thing of value which I own other than my position.

Still, as Mister Scully is relieved from his duties and not under the shadow of any agreement tied to the Danzig Trader..." William didn't finish. He just smiled and sipped his drink.

:: Jack has by this time made a chair out of an ammunition box, and has found more than adequate rest for his leg. He squares his shoulders, feeling a satisfying crack along his spine. Within seconds, he shivers... ::

Oi! Armand... have you ever felt like someone just walked over your grave?

:: Armand looks back from the companionway outside the Armoury, his face like stone ::

Oui, monsiuer. When battle and death are upon the wind. I always make sure that it is I that walks over their graves, mon ami. You would do well to do the same.

:: Given that admonishment, Jack checks his pistols and blades, then settles back against the bulkhead ::

I've never been one for dying at the hand of another... :: he smiles in a gallows sort of way :: But killing has never bothered me one whit. Aye. We'll show them more mettle than they could ever hope to muster.

I having found the Dutch ships master Mr. Lenearts and Bosun Mr. Eynbrecht did use the two of them to simply parade around the main and quarter deck pointing at missing masts and rigging still needing certain and quick repair. Then leaning over the side and making small talk abour their families while looking as if we were talking about ships matters got to where we were going to start the third time around when I said lets go below and clear the deck with a meal bell. So we did leaving six crew and P E W and Johnson hidden from view in canvas waiting as patiently as a church mouse for a spilled piece of bread.

Having moved below morning meal was being served though it weren't to my liking I sat with both gentlemen and while they ate we all waited the pokerhand plays completion aboard the French Frigate.

when they finished I addressed the entire ships belows main deck with a simple ehhheemmmmm! I had all of them. I had previously stood to face them during my address. I backed up to one (the closest) hull. Men, your captain for reasons of unsound judgement and un necessary losses was relieved of duties. Your ships master is your charge. The war ship looming down upon all of us is French. It is here at the beckoning of one member of my ships financiers. A most valuable resource is being sewn, watered (nurtured) and ripens for the picking whilst we continue this complete and total game of possum. Allowing the best of circumstance we should be allowed to make for the coast off to our west by days end. If need be and we find the worst scernarios involvement we will fight men together side by side men, knowing the magnificance of our faith will not be undermined by any peoples from anys where and certainly not while I'm still kicking. Men we are going to be ready to make to the main deck pon signal by the men stationed under canvas at the ready with your guns. We will be but men facing a potential sitting duck as the likes 'll be thought by them as well. We are with a great advantage and we are well rested and fed..... Now relax and clense your minds, allow peacful thought of home and family to give your need of precedence men. We will not go lightly. I leave the wall walking forward and address: Bosun Eynbrecht see to it that your armory is opened and your men have their stations ready to take to the main deck locked loaded and ready to give hell on a moments notice. Mr Lenaerts shall we go atop?

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

:: Jack steels himself for what may or may not come, noting mentally that the Moon is becoming new; the time of things coming to fruition. He concentrates upon the rocking of the ship, and softly hums the song "The Rose of Tralee" ::

Fournier regained his former perch across the table from William and listened to the musings offered up to verbal manner. Waving his steward to refill William's glass, he moved the large chair out and took a seat.

"You realize that there are those who would kill for the chance to have the very same document you now hold. To have one's name upon a paperment as that and the official seal that gives designation of power is a mighty thing..."

He sipped casually from the goblet, and swirled its contents before placing it to mahogany surface. Leaning forward Fouriner fixed William with a subtle scrutiny.

" I do not know what your connection is in order to obtain that paticular document...I can make assumptions, but it is not my way."

The French Captain leaned into the chair's support and took another draught from waiting glass.

" I think there are things in need of further discussion...The Dutch captain being one. I will tell you, I know of this man and am very aware of his...mannerisms. I do not condone the ways he embodies. I shall see you back to your waiting crew and bid you well for the time being...But, Capitaine Hollande...the document shall remain in my possesion for now."

Fournier watched the other man closely.

"I have enjoyed our conversation and perhaps we shall share a meal in the near future, as a token of my hospitality. We shall remain here until the time is befitting to move on..."

With words spoken, the Frenchman stood in respect then escorted William back to the deck above.

Having gained the deck of the meticulously squared away French ship, Mister Warren noted to his crew, “Here we be agin’, under the muzzles of our own guns.”

“This ‘appens to you often, oui?” The question had come from a young Lieutenant who stepped forward, proffering a tobacco pouch. The man was young, but the scars crossing his left eye and right hand told of some experience.

“Aye, mate. T’is the lot o’ sailors ta be ‘ere, eyin’ each other while the captains discuss our fates.” Mister Warren took the tobacco pouch. It was full of sweet light tobacco, with just a hint of Burleigh. He filled his pipe and returned the pouch. Lighting his pipe, Jim tried to look the image of casual nonchalance, leaning against the rail. Some of the other men relaxed, some smoked and others studied the ship. There was much to see on this well found and well run vessel. Having left their weapons in the bottom of the barge, there was not much else to do. Against this crew, on their decks, weapons would have been of little use anyway.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...