Pyrates of the West Coast

Proximity: 16* 19' 12" N / 61* 4' 26" W

French Frigate Chasse de Mer

The morning's sun gave sheen of silvered apparition to the massive masts and yards, as they with the burden of full sheets, propelled the thirty-two gun ship in her coursings at a steady pace of eleven knots. La Desirade had been reported as in distant view in the last hour's passing, and orders had been sent to ensure that the frigate was in a state that would be acceptable to the view of any high official or noble. Crewmembers scurried here and there to make good of their Capitaine's wishes; not, that in all reality, such a feat was of any cumbersome being for Chasse de Mer was kept in a constant state of perfection, carefully maintained and doted on by those who kept her company.

With the finale of stages of close inspection put to rest, Capitaine Jean-Micheale Fournier excused himself from the ship's company to comfort of private quarter's below. Anticipation strained the bindings of figuritave leash as he gave last survey to the dress uniform hanging nearby. Easing into the thick cushon of opulant chair, he contemplated the careful craftmanship of teak hinged box resting to the left and the contents that lay within its' secure encompassment. Within the day's come and go, he would be accepted into the grand surround of Chateau de la dore' Soliel and the teak burden would be delivered. It promised to be a delightful amount of time to be spent within the company of the Laurents. Jean-Micheale had a finite appreciation for the more eloquated offerings in life, an insatiable appetite for the mixture of pleasurable pursuites in regard to all of his senses. Jean-Micheale was a connoisseur in such capacity that it could easily be said that he was the quintisence of his nationality.

A semi-distant call from unseen heighths above broke his mental meander, the intesity of amber hue centered upon the door that lay directly across from where he now relaxed. A brief pass of time fleeted in laps to the knock he expected, which arrived soon after the call and the voice of his cousin carried through wooden barrier requesting admittance.

" Entrer. "

Closing the door securly behind, Dominique stood slightly winded with the hurried travel from above to below.

" There have been two ships sighted off the port bow, two points to the west..." The Lieutenant paused to catch a breath. " They are not moving, there is no spread of sail to be seen and one of the two appears to be Anglais in design. What are your wishes?"

Fournier regained his footing to the lay of oriental rug below and paced for a moment in thought.

" Redirect bearing to their proximity. When close enough, fire a signal gun to get their attention. Tell the gunnery to be prepared, for we shall leave nothing to chance...I shall return to the quarter deck momentarily. Until then, I trust your prudent judgement."

"Tres vien."

First Lieutenant Lamaire departed with the same urgency to which he had arrived. Fournier regained the comfort of former seat to the heeling pull of the large frigate's change of direction....

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I came out of the basket afore midnight. the wind had already picked up I went to me quarters where I immediately fell fast asleep with no worries and seeing the carpenter and smithy carying their tools back on board I knowed the works done. I slept hard..

only to wake with the rocking of the ship afore dawns magestic due. The ships are still tied and in a storm! My mind raced... I must get up and assist...

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

:: Jack stirs from sleep, and slowly looks around the quiet Sickbay. He notices that the door to the ward has been left propped open, allowing the morning sounds and smells of the ship to drift down to him. He can hear the the voice of the ship, with it's creaks and rustles, intermix with the break of the water against her hull. He longs to see the sunrise, and that spectacular moment when the horizon turns green just before the upper limb solar disk breaks into dazzling view. The gentle undulation of the ship causes him to remember exactly why he chose a life on the sea. Without thinking, he begins to sing ever so quietly... ::

Candlelight dies at the window

And the night wind blows soft from the sea

Though I lie in your arms, I'm a thousand miles away

On the waves sailing fast, sailing free

Now I'm bound for the heart of the ocean

I'm riding the sea in my soul

In the dark and the deep

She will rock me to sleep

Down below... where the black waters roll

When the sea birds cry out in the morning

And the sun lays its kiss on the sand

I'll be drawn to the shore

Like so many times before

As I long to be far from the land.

Now I'm bound for the heart of the ocean

I'm riding the sea in my soul

In the dark and the deep

She will rock me to sleep

Down below... where the black waters roll

I can still hear your voice on the trade winds

I can still taste your tears on the foam

But the lure of the tide that I'm feeling inside

Will not rest till my heart finds its home

Now my heart is the heart of the ocean

There are storms from the sea in my soul

I'm restless and deep

And before I can sleep

I must go... where the black waters roll,

where the black waters roll...

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

::"Here's to the grog, boys, the jolly, jolly grog

Here's to the rum and tobacco

I've a-spent all my tin with the lassies drinking gin

And to cross the briny ocean I must wander"

Over and over I hear this in my head. I find myself humming this as I slowly wake back up.::

Aye, a rums for what ails me.

::I glanced over and see the Surgeon slowly backing away from our ships Master-at-arms. Glancing around the room I hear the name "Armand" being uttered by a soothing French accent. As the surgeon draws away, doors slowly and quietly glide closed.::

'scuse me Steward? Armand? Wot's appened to me 'ead? No matter. A rums for me lump 'tis i need. has Mr. youngblood be 'lerted to me misfortune? I need to get topside and report ta Mr. Youngblood for the night draws near. With Ms Smith attending to the Captain, we have but 1 sailor manning the cannon on the Quarterdeck.

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

26 June 1704

4 bells morning watch 0600

::At the sound of the fourth bell the Quartermaster sat up in his hammock... He had not really slept, only dozed through the night hours... The activities of the late evening still on his mind. The crews from the Watch Dog and the Danzig Trader had been seperated, with the exception of their deposed captain all were returned to their respective ships...

He rolled out of his hammock, stretched, unrigged and stowed the canvas and line, splashed some water from his basin on his face, pulled on his slops and belt, pulled on his rope sandals, wesket, looped the sword baldrick over his shoulder, stuffed the mismatched pistols in his belt and doned his faded blue coat.... he stood, dropping his hands to the butts of the pistols..::

Hmm.... I should get me dragoon back from Armand..... wot ta give 'im in it's place tho... Ah! where be tha' pistol Jack gave me?

::He looks through his sea chest, finding the pistol had fallen down beside his shirts..::

There ye be... aye.. this'll do fine...

::He stuffs the new pistol in his belt along with the others then makes his way out through the ship, stops in the galley and procures a hot tea, then to the Armoury where he checks and loads the new pistol. Once done, he locks the Armoury and heads to the Surgeons Ward.... He knocks on the door...::

Aye Tempest? Armand? Tis Mr. Lasseter...

:: As he waits for an answer and the door to open, he realizes he had not see Tempest or Armand in some time... The recent happenings had kept them apart, no time for relaxation off the stern quarter in days....::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

The familiar voice caught her immediate attention as she came up from behind carrying a satchel of foodstuffs.

"Yes?...."

A smallish grin played her expression at the slight start from the Quartermaster's unawares of her presence.

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

:: Mr. Lasseter turns, slightly startled, not expecting Ms. Fitzgerald to be out of the Ward... He looks her in the eyes, deep green in the low light...::

Aye Lass, I sees ye got away fer a wee bit... I prey yer not overly busy... tho I 'spect ye 'ave been wi' all th' injuries...

::he realizes he is slightly rambling, he regains his wits and comes to why he is there...::

Ah... I was wondering if Armand is about, I was hopin' ta get me, pistol from 'im... an' give 'im this one in return...

:: he draws the fine pistol from his belt, the silver inlay reflecting the weak light...::

If he be about... an' I prey yer able ta find a reprieve an' join me on the quarter fer tea?

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

I was makin me way pon main deck and I heard Rummy's voice "ship Astern" lookin up who's in the basket? Sleepin? I see red! In me state I could cut throat! So I calm a bit all the whiles pullin out me brings 'em near (I pon eves past were sensin the crosbones of Gods wrath. Though red the sky were, I sensed the wind comin and he were bringin it in from the opposite direction of the setting sun making this storm one coming from the east and now blocking the rise of suns first sight.) Cloudy grey and a high ceiling and a lite drizzle upon me face. I see that during the night our drift was such that land is barely visible behind us. Grey black seas and facing the wind I covered the end of me glass turned and brought into focus a frigate heading straight inta us.

I puts it at four, mayhaps four and a half leagues.

SAIL HO!

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

Stepping a pace closer into the deeper surround of shadow, the Surgeon shifts the weight of satchel to the other hand and consider the offer. To inward amusement, she studies the hint of nervousness that the quartermaster unconsciencously allows to be viewed.

"I am sure that he would be more than happy to give back what is yours...It is not as if we are in poor possesion of weaponry."

She brushes by to lay quiet rap upon oaken door...

"Armand, se moi....ouvert, s'il vous plait."

:: Upon hearing the cry of "ship astern", Jack reflexively reaches for the loaded pistol he customarily keeps hidden in his bedding. He curses quietly in frustration, since he had been stripped of arms in his previous fevered state. He sits upright on his cot, and looks squarely at the Surgeon ::

Dr. Fitzgerald? I understand your convictions to date concerning my health. But in all my years of dealing with ships, I have neither looked upon one nor shot at one with my leg. I swear to you that if our ship sees action this day, I shall make every attempt to get shot in a different extremity rather than reinjure my knee.

:: He continues looking at the Doctor with a practice expression of "Your move" upon his face ::

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

::Mr. Lasseter smiles in the shadows, almost stiffling a chuckle at the weaponry comment... ::

Aye, very well then...

::he searches the expression on her face as the door is unsecured and opened by Armand... the brighter light from within spilling out, destroying the dark embrace of the companionway...::

Ah, Armand... ye look ta be well... might I get m'pistol from ye... been odd wi' a mismatched set on me... 'ere, this will replace it...

::he hands Armand the fine pistol, waiting for his in exchange, when a yell is heard topside...::

SHIP ASTERN!!!

Bloody hell!!! Forgive me!

::Yells Mr. Lasseter as he yanks his pistol from Armand and bolts down the passageway, his tankard discarded to the deck, yelling at crew members in his path...::

Outta me way!!! Make a hole 'r I'll make one in ya!!! Bloody MOVE!!!!

:: he bolts up on deck, rounds up and onto the quarterdeck... grabbing the ships glass in the binnacle he scanns the horizon, through the mist he sees it, a ship, full sails, bearing down....::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

The morning winds paid Chasse de Mer kind as she took the spray into her teeth and gained a knot with the quartering breeze. Her pilot ever familiar with the frigate's temperments was pleased with the conditions at present and smiled warmly to her master's appearance above.

Lieutenant Lamaire joined Fournier at the rail, handing into possesion the elegant legnth of brass, wood and glass already extended for use. With a nod of acknowledgment, the tall Frenchman viewed to scene forward of the bow. Careful survey took in details and deduction proved assumptions true...The far ship was frigate class and of deffinate Anglais origin by build. The near was familiar to him in lines and note was taken of her designations, Fournier had seen the smaller ship before and it was only a matter of time before he placed her where abouts.

There was a sudden stir of movement on yon frigate's decks, it was obvious now that Chasse de Mer had been spotted. Lowering the glass, he gave sidelong glance to Dominique.

"Fire signal and steer three points to starboard...We shall see what happens next....The guns are at ready, I shall assume."

The Captain's steward arrives and he has her fetch his coat and hat as he carefully covers the distance to the door with the aid of his crutch. She is still helping him into his coat when he gains the gun deck.

"WE WILL BE TO QUARTERS!"

William scan the deck, careful to note that the monsignor and Bosun are on the weather decks. "Bring me Mister Warren."

The Quartermaster arrives moments later as the decks fill with sailors from above and below.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpg

"Prepare to fire an answering gun off the quarterdeck, Mister Youngblood. Only powder if you please."

William climbs the stairs to the quarterdeck and asks for a glass. He levels it to his eye and scans the approaching ship for a long time.

"Please send word to our good doctor that the French are arrving post haste."

Quickly moving out of the Quartermaster's path, Tempest moves to the hailing of Jack's voice. Raising a brow to his words, she shakes her head and is once agin reminded of her grand da's willfull nature.

"You, Monseignuer, are a bull-headed fellow. Mon dieu! Fine!....I shall allow you your wish, but only in Armand's presence. It is apparent to me that you are determined in your want of fair les quarter cents coups....So be it..."

The announcement is disrupted by Captain's request for audience and she turns swiftly to answer the call.

William turns to the monsignor.

"You are needed aboard the Danzig. Cross over now while we are bound together, and take a compliment of four men. Mister Pew should do for one, and Mister Johnson, another. You may choose whomever else you wish. Take arms, but make yourself the very image of calm. The Dutch and French have had differences enough, so keep a watchful eye to our quarterdeck for orders and instructions."

I follow as Mr P E W Mr Johnson and Tito and meself heads down to the weapons locker to be fitted and Johnson turns around and asks how's the master-at-arms doing and I says he was looking very good the day afore and should be out and about but the seas and his wound bein his knee should keep him below a spell longer.

"Aye, Mister Youngblood. When occasion permits. Fire the salute."

William watches the French Frigate move effortlessly under full sail. She is a fine looking ship and well armed. More than a match for the Watch Dog at Rest or in motion.

William turns to the Danzig Trader. She is well repaired for her short journey to port, but with the conspicuous abscence of two masts, she is little more than an island of wood. William calls to their Ship's Master.

"Me erger niet! Dit zijn vrienden!" William calls, then adds. "Ik zal geen kwaad aan u laten komen!"

William turns to Mister Lasseter as the doctor arrives. "My Dutch has a touch of your Scottish. I hope I haven't just alarmed the Dutch by use of poor grammer."

::Mr. Lasseter laughs at the Captain's comment..::

Aye, Cap'n... I learned me Dutch from a true Scotsman...

When shall I have th' men ready ta cut th' Danzig free?

I prey we don' have a fight just now....

:: he turns to Ms. Fitzgerald..::

Well, th' fresh air doin' ye goode, lass?

*smiles*

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif