Pyrates of the West Coast

"Better your Scottish, than my Dutch. "William says with a small smile. "Light the lamps, Mister Lasseter, and let us begin."

William picks up the speaking horn at the helm and waits for the Watch Dog to be illuminated. Once the lantersn up and down the length of the ship are lit, he brings the speaking horn to his lips.

"Hello, Heren! Hebt u hulp nodig?!" William calls out, knowing somehow that it isn't quite right, but it seems close enough.

At first, the crew of the Danzig seems not to hear his call, but heads begin to turn and arms begin to point outward towards them. for the first time in hours, the crew of the Danzig becomes quiet. Only the sound of fire and waves comes back for a few seconds.

Then, officers rush to the Danzig's rails. The cutter crew stands in the small boat still holding goods not yet placed.

"Steady on lads. Give them a moment."

An officer begins to wave. No outward sign of aggression appears on the deck. William repeats his poor Dutch.

"Hebt u hulp nodig?!"

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpg

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Danzig is a mess. Fires have destroyed, railings, rigging and most of the Mainmast. Where there might have been two boats in the water, there is only the cutter now. It is overladen with supplies and riding very low in the water. there appear to be injured men untreated on the weatherdeck.

Are you...England?" A man cries from the quarterdeck, his hands cupped together. More men are gathering on the deck.

William smiles a little at the misuse of the word England in place of English, and for the a brief moment considers yelling back, 'I'm not England. I am Wales', but he doesn't. Instead he calls back.

"Yes. We are English! Can we assist you?" he asks, grateful to be understood in his own language.

::the Captain has begun a conversation with the captain of the merchant across the water, the QM stands with his glass, studying the crippled ships crew for any sign that they plan to defend themselves, or try to get away from the Watch Dog... Several crew stand on the deck, axes in hand, until moments ago they were chopping at the base of the main mast, due to the damage it has sustained it would be best to fell it, rather than it collapsing, possibly on a viable mast and rigging.... Asside from those men, no one other than the captain appeared to be armed::

*whispers to the captain* looks like they all unarmed... 'sept fer a lot who was choppin' at th' mainm'st... Cap'n's got a sword... mebee a pistol... I dunna see much else...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

William nods to Mister Lasseter and surveys the deck.

"Who are you? Will you take us?" the man yelled back across the water.

William wasn't sure how to answer this. The answer to the first question might be too revealing and the second could be misunderstood very easily. Was this man asking to be taken to land as passengers, or was he asking if our intentions were to seize the ship?

"We can carry your crew to safety! We will take you to land!" William called back, motioning for the Master Gunner to join him at the quarterdeck.

"We will be..." the man pauses. "...gratitude."

William wastes no time with idle talk and returns his offers immediately.

"Your mast! It threatens you! We shall...knock it over!?"

The man on the other deck pauses at this surprising offer and seems to weigh the advantages and disadvantages of being fired upon by an unknown ship.

"The man is no Captain." William whispers to those about him.

"Yes." is the tentative response from what must be a junior officer. His voice sounds thin from weariness and it shows the man's inexperience.

"Clear your men aft!

William turns to the Master Gunner and Mister Lasseter.

"They are more vulnerable than ever, but compliant. We may yet see no bloodshed today. Still, we shall see some shooting.

Mister Youngblood, I shall now call upon your skills as an amateur actor." William says with a smile. "We shall now pretend to assist them, by blowing the mainmast over. Please have your men pretend to load cannons and then run them out. We don't want them to think that we have had them loaded this entire time."

William says this all with a smile he tries to hide but can't. Still it sobers a bit as he fine tunes his instructions.

"Run out only two at a time until the Mast has been felled. If you should have cannons with powder and shot remaining, feel free to extend our permission to their foremast. Understood, Mister Youngblood?"

Right Sah.

::I makes like I am loading the "Blackwood". I run the cannon and then turn back to Mr. Youngblood.::

On your mark Mr. Youngblood.

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

William waits for the crew of the Danzig to retreat to places of safety. The officer, junior or not, does this with speed, despite whatever mistake he has made in allowing an unknown to fire upon his ship.

"This is turning into a fine ruse, Mister Lasseter. Please pass a steading word down the ship if you please. They're a steady lot."

William turns to the gun deck. "Fire at your leisure, Mister Youngblood. Take your time. I need them to all clear the deck."

Aye sir, RUN OUT THE TWO!

Take your time men let me know when ya got a good sight of her mast on the up roll.

*walks over to one of the guns and looks down the chace. Stepping aside.*

ON THE UP ROLL

FIRE!

BABOOM!!

*the two guns jump back, as the smoke clears in the wind. One shot off its target while the other rips through the side of the mast.*

Petee-2.jpg

Aye Cap'n...

::The QM snaps his glass shut, puts it in his pocket... he turns, clasps his hands behind his back in a very leasurely fashion and strolls forward passing the crew as he head to the bow...::

*in a low voice* Aye Lads... steady, calm.. we gonna have a fine prize soon enough... mayhap wi'out a fight, tho ye be spoilin' fer one... a wee bit o' cannonfire... mayhaps a threat r' two wi' sword n' pistol... we may e'en get a couple o' them lads ta join 'r fine ship...

::he strolls slowly a grin tugging at the corner of his mouth.... soon he is at the bow where he turns and heads back aft...::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

Watchin all this from me prone position with Ciaran as is Swan in her basket as well. I never takes my eye off their captain..... He doesn't once lean too and whisper not a once seemingly happy at the perchance of our arrival to their dispair..... I still don't trust them I whispers to Ciaran there a chance men in the below decks won't know our fire is meant as friendly and they could come up firing keep your eyes on their closed cannons doors. If one door opens let the captain know immediately. I am climbing down to tell the captain this and then I will take up anew out hangin over the hull!

Captain our lookouts are watchin their gun doors sir and I will take up me position on the bowsprit, sir.

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

::sighting in "Blackwood" as best I can I aim and wait for Mr. Youngblood's orders::

READY TO FIRE, SAH!

::I look over at Firethorne and he nods as well::

AT YOUR LEASURE MR. YOUNGBLOOD!

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

::With a resounding BOOM I fire my cannon. With a shriek from the boarders upon the Dutch ship, I can see I grazed the main mast. Splinters flying everywhere the mast leans in the slightest bit towards the starboard side of the Danzig.:

Awwww . . . Bloody 'ell.

Run 'em out again Mr. Youngblood . . . ?

Captain our lookouts are watchin their gun doors sir and I will take up me position on the bowsprit, sir.

"Monsignor..." William turns to the clergyman with a dawning smile and waving him back. "Would you be so kind as to draw the Samson in as quietly as possible and have them thin the arms to make a place for you? I think we shall send you over as our 'olive branch'. We can use you, as a man of peace, to persuade them to send over several important officers to speak with us about the safety of transporting the Danzig's crew. Then we shall have...guests if anything should go amiss.

Do you take my meaning, sir?"

::the QM walks through the cannon smoke, back to the quarterdeck...::

IMGP1953.jpg

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

::I load "Blackwood" in haste with a double shot n' powder. I sight her in and fire:

BOOM

::With a lucky shot I strike the main mast 'bout 14' up. It comes crashing down and sends the rigging and whats left of the sails into the water right near the skiff . . .::

Yarrrgggh . . . . .

::I turn to Firethorne and says::

Firethorne mate, ye be owein' me's a rum . . .

::I turn back to Van Buren who has been standing stoically during the whole "melee". I give him a punch in the shoulder and says::

Gun shy aye? Fetch me a pail of water . .

::As Van Buren runs below decks, I look back away from the Danzig Trader for Mr. Youngblood and says::

A word Mr. Youngblood, please sah . . .