Pyrates of the West Coast

::whispering o'er to Firethorne::

Oi.

Firethorne.

First to hit the Dutchman's main mast be owin' the other a rum next port we be in. . .

::givin' Firethorne a sly smile, he looks back and nods . . . ::

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When the final word was given, William sent for the steward to help him with his coat and hat. She brought him his pistols and mortuary sword from the trunk and the crutch from the corner.

Two men were sent for to carry a chair up to the quarterdeck. William and Miss Smith followed behind as they made their way slowly to the weatherdecks.

The doctor framed the doorway from the surgery and even in the dark, William knew her arms were crossed. He could have told her that he'd do more damage to himself pacing his cabin while all above took place. He could have said that even a wounded captain is needed on deck at times like this. He could have made fateful pronouncements about lightning never striking twice.

Instead, he said nothing. He knew and she knew that despite the risks of further injury or harm, he had to be on the quarterdeck. HE did, and not because he was Captain, but because he was William Brand.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpg

:: Finding no solace in slumber, Jack lies in his Sickbay bunk, silently cursing the enemy gunner responsible for his current predicament. He listens to the familiar sounds of the ship as she and her crew make ready to strike the prey they've found. Earlier, he heard the soft creaks of the tackle falls as the barge was swung over, and he'd smiled with pride at the lack of discernable splashing of the boat being settled into the water ::

"Whatever ye've found, mates, I hope her holds are bursting with swag..." he whispered.

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

::Kneeling behind the gunwale I hear some commotion behind me. I raise slightly to see what the noise is from.::

Bloody 'ell

::I whisper to myself. Captain William Brand emerges from below decks with a steward brandishing his mortuary sword. The faintest glint of sunrise catches the Captain in the eyes. He squints and let a wry smile roll from his lips. For a feather to drop at this point would be deafening . . .::

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

::As the QM waits for further word from the captain, two of the crew gingery make their way up onto the quarterdeck, struggling with a chair... a look of puzzlement and mild anger crosses his face as he approaches the seamen...::

*in a harsh Whisper* Wot in Blazes ye be doin?! Noone asked fer a chair up 'ere! It'll be-----

::He cuts himself off as he sees the Captain being helped by his Steward up the stairs to the quarterdeck... a broad grin forms on Mr. Lasseter's face as the Captain makes his way aft::

*whispers* Aye Cap'n... It does me great joy ta see ye here... As ye been appraised o' th' situation, I on'y await yer command, Cap'n...

:: the grin stays stuck to the quartermasters face as he steps to the side of the Captain...::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

William waits for his chair to be set down to the right and behind the wheel. He does not take a seat there, but stands near the helm, now leaning on his newly fashioned crutch. His shape appears less like a wounded man and more like a leaning scarecrow in the dark. A little light from the approaching dawn, but more from the burning merchantmen plays over his unmoving face.

He turns to his steward and says, "Please bring me the Bosun, Master Gunner and the Monsignor."

Then he rests his free hand on the shoulder of the Quartermaster.

"Captains for kings and seamen for pawns."

I find the Captain and for a brief moment - advise him of whats I knows about the dutch ships, "Seeing as how we don't wish to send the ship to the bottom, the dutch are known for building their ships plank by plank adding the framework later. Captain if we really want to demoralize the artsy fartsies we should knock holes in all of their elaborate wood carvings they are famous for wasting their moneys on! Theys will be perilized and ours for the taking." :lol:

Captain Sir! Swan is with bow and will silently begin at your command to remove those marines and officers she can. Ciaran Is above the fore deck sir and has two muskets and I sir were right above you on the same as Ciaran wait till firin begins orders to take out armed guards on the merchantman.

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

Gentlemen, in a moment I plan to announce our assistance to the Dutchman. When you see the stern lantern lit, I want all of the lanterns lit immediately after. We will give them the startling impression that we have been illuminated this entire time and that they simply missed sighting us due to their own folly or distraction. Who among them could honestly say differently if asked to testify at a later date?

With this illumination, I shall announce our intentions as rescuers of these poor, adrift sailors. We shall have a discussion across the waters. If they should not comply with our offering of assistance, and all of the reward that that implies, then I shall give a single order.

'Put out that fire.'

When I order this, several things shall happen simultaneously, gentlemen. Every lantern is to be doused and every cannon run out. No open ports before this order. Then, any cannon pointed at the mainmast and foremast is to be fired. Bring down any one of them and the other may go with it. As recommended by our Master Carpenter, here, we shall fire all remaining cannons at the more decorative parts of the ship fore and aft. This will create a demoralizing and devastating amount of debris and crippling splinters.

If they persist, I shall give orders to 'Fire from aloft.'

All lookouts aloft are to shoot any uniformed marine or officer they can see. Then any sailor in the cutter is open game from muskets or pistols from either the boarders or lookouts. If their crew does not surrender under this barrage then we shall take further steps."

William turns back to Jack, taking his shoulder for a moment to convey close orders.

"You shall strike her high on her quarterdecks with the grape shot when and if you hear me yell the order to "Clear Amidships!" We shall only engage the ship with further cannon fire if necessary, but have half your men ready for boarding.

The Samson shall swing up behind them after they have surrendered, or following the grapeshot.

Let us hope this is more barter than slaughter, gentlemen. Understood?"

William waits for the smiles, nods and ayes from the small circle of officers.

"Hounds to the deer, Gentlemen. Hounds to the deer. To your posts."

Waiting patiently until he is done conversing with all the officers she was sent to fetch, Tudor tallied off in her head all she would need to feel useful in the upcoming battle. "Sir," she sought the captain's attention when he was done hearing reports "By your leave, may I go to the armoury and fetch some . . ." She paused, a mischevious glint in her eye. "Some weapons." After gaining the captains consent, she silently yet swiftly made her way to where the weapons were stored.

Right Mr. Petee.

At the dousing of the lanterns, aim for the main and fore mast.

Cease fire from Captain's orders to "Clear Amidships."

On your command Mr Petee.

::the Captain gives his orders to the officers, who then disperse to their duties... Mr. Lasseter pulls his glass from his pocket, puts it to hs eye...::

Ah, she's still afire.... no'bad now... still blind to us...

:: the dawn light is now turning from the pink glow to a yellowish pink.... soon the sun will be peeking over the horizon....::

Ah, Cap'n.... I c'n make 'er name now..... She be.... Danzig Trader....

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

"Almost the very ghost of this ship's former name." William says with a smile.

William stands in silence for a time thinking back on his time in Amsterdam and trying to piece together enough Dutch to make the phrases necessary for this interaction.

"How is your Dutch, Mister Lasseter?"

::Looking to my right I see the Dutchman, Van Buren, begin to tremble. Odd to see a man of his years tremble on the outset of battle.::

Hsst.

Van Buren.

Wot be ye tremblin' for?

::His knuckles, still white on the gunwale, look like the ivory taken from a whaler. Soemthing is not right.::

"How is your Dutch, Mister Lasseter?"

:: the QM turns to the Captain::

Me Dutch? far worse th'n me French... *chuckle*

Ne'er had much use fer them dutchies... Spanish, French, aye...

An' mst oft' they speak th' Kings english, to a degree...

I'll give 'er a try if ye need me to... no promises I don't insult 'em right off....

:: he shrugs at the captain, then looks at the merchant, smouldering ahead of them.....::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

::Van Buren turns, looks at the Captain, looks at the deck, and returns back to his position::

Wot in bloody 'ell . . . .?

(The Monsignor passes along the Captain's order to Ciaran and Swan. From their high perches, all three stand poised and ready.)

I wonder if one of the most important steps on our journey is the one in which we throw away the map.

-- Loreena McKennitt

My fathers knew of wind and tide, and my blood is maritime.

-- Stan Rogers

I don't pretend to be captain weird.

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp