Pyrates of the West Coast

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, hmm... I doo believe twas Mr. Youngblood... mayhap wi' help from others... I'll hafta check m' notes....

William simply nodded.

"Mister Youngblood." He said aloud to the now empty room, unsure if he felt anything about this news or if he should. He soon found that he did despite himself.

He was just settling in to his charts again when a call came down from above. Smoke sighted on the horizon.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpg

:: as Mr. Lasseter finishes stowing the weapons back in the Armoury, his final task after restoring hammocks to the negligent,and the foodstuff to the hold, he is almost run down by a lad..::

"Quartermaster, sir! the lookout! smoke on the horizon, come quick!"

:: the lad blurts out a stream of words then takes flight back up to the main deck::

Lardy! wot a mouthfull! I's comin! I's comin!

::Mr. Lasseter takes the steps by twos, he cannonballs up the main hatchway and onto the main deck, grabs a line and swings himself around to make his way aft to the quarterdeck.... taking those steps by twos and almost running into the Bo'sun...::

Report man! Where be th' smoke?

::he draws his glass waiting for a heading...::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Starboard, 15 degrees off the bow, Sir. Ye can't see a ship, only smoke, but at that location in the water t'would have to be a burning ship.

I wonder if one of the most important steps on our journey is the one in which we throw away the map.

-- Loreena McKennitt

My fathers knew of wind and tide, and my blood is maritime.

-- Stan Rogers

I don't pretend to be captain weird.

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

Not sure of my need or even that undone, never before with such a useless involvement of time and place I don't know what to do, where to go, i am without purpose and cause. I sit back down open me book and find a nice script to think on.....

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

Starboard, 15 degrees off the bow, Sir. Ye can't see a ship, only smoke, but at that location in the water t'would have to be a burning ship.

::the QM puts his glass to his eye, looking in the direction of the now visible line of smoke...::

Aye, smoke it is.... could be a whaler... 'r could be a ship afire...

:: the QM heads foreward to the main shrouds, climbs up the ratlines to the fighting top, looks out at the smoke from this vantage...::

Hmm... still canna tell...

Bo'sun! My compliments to th' Cap'n... I's sure he be aware o' th' smoke we see on th' 'orizon! Send word I'd like 'is permission ta make sail closer ta wot might be!

:: he then heads down to the deck and back to the quarterdeck, makes a note in the logbook, awaiting the word from the captain...::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

Bo'sun!  My compliments to th' Cap'n... I's sure he be aware o' th' smoke we see on th' 'orizon! Send word I'd like 'is permission ta make sail closer ta wot might be!

:: he then heads down to the deck and back to the quarterdeck, makes a note in the logbook, awaiting the word from the captain...::

William ponders the request and begins to smile despite himself.

"Send Mister Lasseter word to bring us closer to this unknown fire and we'll see what can be seen. If it is a ship on fire in the water, then she might be rescued or we might gleen the field.

Have Mister Lasseter send word once he has discovered the source of the smoke."

::the Captain's word comes back to the QM that he has permision to gleen a closer look::

Aye! Cox'n! 4 points t' starboard n' hold tha' headin'!

Sailors aloft! set sail fer chase!

Mayhaps we c'n see wot be by the first dog watch...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

(Aye we're giv'n chase then! This too is a good thing it is and the men can think of battles fought and won in the means. Funny they sure wouldn't be thinkin about battles lost would they ya sad sack? They wouldn't be here then would they? I mean if they lost right?) I awoke startled that the ship was moving having been trading words with an old friend back at home when too we were younger and more frequent of youths impatience. I decided to get up and go up onto the main deck!

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

Resting comfortably with the desk's attendance, the Surgeon sipped from the china cup of dark brew intermittant to scribeing the medical log laid before her. There had been no other upsets during the course of the night and tranquility hung the air with morning's arrival. The quill hovered over the ink pot's oriface while giving contemplation to recent observation and occurance. Delving into the distant past and the hallowed halls of Trinity, she racked her cephlalic matter for the workings of trauma and the effects of delusional behavior. The inner bearings of unconscience mind and its delicate balances were not subjects greatly covered. Even time spent in Paris gave no outstanding hint to what she was bridled with currently. Gazing into the dark liquid contained in delicate render, the Surgeon longed for something of more amber hue and sighed heavily. Tempest was irritated with the present quandries, she could remove a brain, disect it with finnesse, give lables to the regions and known functions; but the enigma that it contained by ways of psychological functions, were not on the higher lists of forte'.

Upon returning to the surgical surround earlier, she had made note of the Cook's silent repose and moved on to the Master at Arm's. Removing the bandaging that gave slight barrier to outer air, she had been pleased to see that no sign of Bio-necrosis had come to bear. There were no more signs of diseased weep, swelling had made retreat and the angry redness was paleing. Signs of healling were apparent in the puckering of skin...Soon she would suture the gape, before the window of flesh pliability closed.

Stepping back a pace, the Surgeon rubbed her jawline unconsciencously as she considered the straps holding Jack to bed surface. There was a fleet of sympathy that played the emerald orbs in regard to the bindings. In truth, if not for the delicate nature of the wound, coupled with the lessening, but still present fevered manner, she would be more than pleased to remove them and replace with splint to imobilize just the affected apendage...Glancing to the Master at Arm's sleeping face she whispered,

" Ahhh...Fair les quatre cents coups, eh mon ami? Soon...Soon you shall be able to dance a horn pipe jig on capstan surface and make the others jealouse of your prowess in doing so..."

The quill dipped the black liquid and paused its resurface, as sudden epiphany rose...What she was in need of was a Surgeon's Mate. It ate at her continuously that Armand was performing in such capacity. He never peeped a word of complaint, but it gave her feelings of certain guilt...and guilt never was something that she savored well. In the near future, she would approach the Captain with said request. It was nothing of immediate demand and she would wait until things were some what calm aboard, before doing so.

Glancing in brief to the Cook's flacid prostation in near proximity with puzzelment, she announed to no one in particular, "There is more in heaven and on earth..." Then returned to the scribeing at hand.

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

June 23, 1704 - Aboard the Watch Dog

Between eighth bell of Forenoon Watch and first bell of Afternoon Watch

As the day progressed from the forenoon watch to the afternoon watch, William was visited with regular reports from the quarter deck. The smoke on the horizon was still to distant for a source, but there could be no doubt, given its isolation on the sea, that it was a ship.

The Captain sent for his steward as the ship's doctor visited his wounds with fresh bandages.

The young steward made her way quickly to the Captain's cabin, a tray of food in arms. "You sent for me sir?" She quickly looks down at her load and remembers - "Oh, yes, I didn't know if you would be hungry for the afternoon meal, and as your still on the mend, I took the liberty o' bringing some up for you." She set the tray down, wiped her hands on her skirt and practically snapped to attention. "What orders do you have for me sir?" She smiled to herself, glad to have the captain back.

Bright sun made my welcome to the main deck as I found the men at task. I nodded my approval and good morrow to the many finding my appearance none the worry of my concern. Ciaran approach me and whispered in me ear (good ta see you padre) adding thar be a fire with smoke billows out ta sea and we are making that journey into its identification. Then looking me in the eye he said are you all right monsignor? I looked to his eyes and with no offer of deciept answered with truth. Ciaran my friend I have been better but as Gods work is never done I found reasons to get up off me bum and do his bidding. Grammercy. I should liken to speak with the Quartermaster is he about?

The young steward made her way quickly to the Captain's cabin, a tray of food in arms. "You sent for me sir?" She quickly looks down at her load and remembers - "Oh, yes, I didn't know if you would be hungry for the afternoon meal, and as your still on the mend, I took the liberty o' bringing some up for you." She set the tray down, wiped her hands on her skirt and practically snapped to attention. "What orders do you have for me sir?" She smiled to herself, glad to have the captain back.

William folded one of the many charts on the table to make a space for the tray, setting it aside and tapping his finger for a moment on the table, his eyes somewhere else.

"Thank you, Miss Smith. Please, have a seat."

The Captain poured himself some tea, but then passed the cup to his steward.

"We will soon be approaching the source of our mystery smoke and I should like you to run several messages to the crew for me.

First, inform Mister Warren to prepare the barge crew, as the Master-at-Arms is not able to make any crossings at this time. Tell him to arm the rowers for boarding and to prepare them with all necessary tools for such a task. Mister Warren may recommend someone to stay the helm in his abscence or ask Mister Lasseter to do so.

Second, inform the Master Gunner to prepare grape shot for a deck sweeping if it should be required. I don't want the boarders to have to go against superior forces while so many of us are not recovered.

Third..." William smiled a little. "If the doctor hasn't altogether ruined the shirt I was wearing when I was brought to the surgery, please take it to the tailor and see if it can be rescued. If our good doctor has cut it apart in her efforts to repair me, please bring the remains to me."

(After speaking to the QM about the smoke on the far horizon, then briefly talking with Diego [and feeling more cheerful about the Monsignor's state of being], Ciaran climbs smartly back into the nest.

The Watch Dog be making good time now under full sail with steady winds at our back. With spyglass to eye, Ciaran can now see that it is indeed a ship ablaze on the horizon. The fire appears to be coming from midship and raging, the sails are aflame, and there be frantic movement of crew upon her deck. Ciaran looks down and notes that the QM is using his glass and undoubtedly seeing the same sight.)

I wonder if one of the most important steps on our journey is the one in which we throw away the map.

-- Loreena McKennitt

-- Stan Rogers

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

eehheeeemmmmmmmmm! (throat clearing announcement of presence) Quartermaster sir? (as I walked up to and began to involve the beginnings of me conversations on the quarterdeck with our Quartermaster) He turns abruptly recognizing me voice. Having taken his brings'em near away from his right eye he seemed a bit startled to see me. Sir I says. I am at your disposal, you know that I am a trusted battle axe on your offense sir and wish to be with those when and if needed to board. He stared at me turned put his brings'em near back to his right eye looked back onto the water at the watch dogs target then pulled it down looked again at me and said I shall see monsignor! I says grammercy and bows in retreat as I removed myself and as I descended the stairs I looked back to him and he was again with glass to eye in the heat of needed focus. I went below towards the galley realizing that a good meal should prepare my old and bones well enough indeed.

June 23, 1704 - Aboard the Watch Dog

Ending of Afternoon Watch

Word came down from the quarter deck as the afternoon watch was ending and the first dog watch began. A ship was see, still at some distance, but burning and still manned. No flag was reported.

William sent word back asking for the lookouts to send details of her size, origin and condition as they were discovered.

:: Jack lies awake silently cursing the restraints binding him to his Infirmary bunk. He can tell that the ship is under sail, and the footfalls on the deck above speak of the crew's urgent state of mind. To many of us are wounded for direct action, but the lack of chatter from the gun deck says we're neither running nor engaging. Perhaps we are shadowing another vessel? Or answering a distress signal? He's as hungy for action and swag as anyone else on board - the hunt, the struggle, then the kill.

He looks about the Sickbay, and sees the Surgeon at her writing desk. Although still weak from his recent fever and infection, he carefully swallows, then inhales deeply before attempting to speak ::

Dr. Fitzgerald? We are under way, aren't we? When might I return to my post?

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

(The lad sent the Captain's request to Ciaran, who after a moment of deep concentration says,)

It is. Blimey, it is. Tell the Captain it be the same Dutch merchantman that we had seen before, the same day we later encountered the Black Lament. I am certain it is the same merchantman. Her sails are ablaze, there be fire midship, the masts are heavily damaged, and she be dead in the water. Her crew appears to be trying to put out the fire.

-- Loreena McKennitt

-- Stan Rogers

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

::hearing the discription of the burning ship from Lookout Ciaran, the QM nods, sets his glass to his eye...::

*talks low, to himself*

Aye, looks ta be th' Dutch orange hangin' from th' stern......

Winds right... iffn' it stays true, we c'n fall two points ta larboard, keep outta range o' cannon fire... come back starboard, up on their stern... fall off sharply when we get close, rake 'r stern.... she be ours... Hmm.... send boarders... My, she be ablaze... least it be all in th' riggin'...

::looks away from the ship::

Steward! My compliments, send word ta th' Cap'n... Th' ship afire, we c'n come at 'er from th' stern an' rake 'er... then send boarders, if he so wishes... Til we get closer tha' be me plans...Aye...

Master Gunner! Load th' swivels wi' Grapeshot! We may 'ave a need ta sweep r' decks.... Might I enquire on th' main guns?

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

*hearing Jack stir about and talking to the surgeon Christine tries to sit up; the restraints keeping her down. She couldn't remember being strapped down. The last thing she remembered was Jack crying out about something being in the room with them.*

"Aye, when will be allowed to return to our duties, Dr. Fitzgerald?"

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

Master Gunner! Load th' swivels wi' Grapeshot! We may 'ave a need ta sweep r' decks.... Might I enquire on th' main guns?

Aye, grape in da swivels, the main guns still av da shot an charge that they be previously loaded wit. I can av em cleaned an reloaded wit da grape before we reach the ship ifin ya like sir. Or let me know which side o da ship we be comin up on them on an I can av that side loaded wit da grape an keep the other with round shot just in case we need da range and so nobody come sneakin up on us.

Petee-2.jpg

Nay, Mr. Youngblood, jest give 'em a look-see... keep 'em as they be... 'sept Jeanie an' Havoc, load 'em wi' grape too...

::the QuarterMaster peers through his glass at the ship, every moment getting closer...::

Hmmm.... th' crew be so busy tryin' ta put out th' flames... naught a lad has seen us...

Lessee.... One, two, three, four, five...........six? Six gunports an 'er side... no'bad fer a merchant... no'goode enough either...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif