Pyrates of the West Coast

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awakened by a short burst of noises similar to that of someone banging on a door trying to gain entry, I again get up and wait to see if it were my door but alas it is for naught I wait. God allow me to become more than a useless hanging glob of robes and hair....... Time for something to eat.... Amen

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

Bangs on the rail t' get the barge crews attention...........''STARBOARD FOUR YARDS!!''

Avast pullin'!

Starb'd side pull aback, Larb'd side pull for'ard...

::The barge crew does as the Quartermaster commands and the barge turns a very tight clockwise turn, 90 degrees...

Avast pullin'! All hands pull for'ard, ha'pace...

:: the barge glides across the water... ::

Up sweeps! Ye sees anythin' Nigel?

::As they slowly glide across the water, Nigel looking down into the shallows, he shakes his head, then cocks it forward, almost dunking it into the water..::

"Aye Mr. Lasseter! I think I sees it!"

Sweeps down! Keep us steady, Lads... Well Nigel... ye sees it... lower th' grapnel inta th' water... see iffn' ye c'n catch hold o' th' cable...

:: Nigel takes the grapnel from the bottom of the barge, pays out some line and tosses it into the water an arms length infront of the boat, lets the line pay out some more, starts to pull it up, shakes his head, pulls the grapnel out, tosses it again... he does this several times, sometimes throwing it further, some times not so far... finally he pulls up the line and it goes taunt....::

"Mr. Lasseter, I got a bite on it! "

Easy, Lad, easy... haul up th' cable end, lesse wot c'n be done...

:: He nods to the QM and slowly hand over hand brings the grapnel line up until something broaches the surface, the bow oarsmen grab up the end of the cable and haul it into the barge ::

Aye Lads! Fine work! Right then, stow th' sweeps and see iffn' ye c'n work th' cable back ta th' stern...

:: Mr. Lasseter watches as the crew do as told, he looks back at the ship, sees Mr. Badger and tips his hat to him..... the barge crew manhandles the cable to the sternsheets, where the barge is the most stable.. ::

A'right lads... there be enough cable fer alla us ta get a bite on it... I'll guide it o'er the gunn'l, right, nice an' easy..... heave!

:: the barge crew haul on the cable, pulling it tight, causing the stern of the barge to dip, a second pull almost causes the stern to go under... ::

Avast heavin'! Anchor's held fast ta th' bottom... gonna need more ta brake 'er free....

::he cups his hands around his mouth..::

Mr. Badger, we gonna need th' Longboat o'er here... or mayhaps bring th' ship in so we c'n rig up ta th' capstan! Ask th' Cap'n wot' e' prefers iffn' ye please!

:: The crew of Samson waits, holding onto the soggy cable, waiting for the next move...::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Frigate "Chasse de Mer"

Anchored of the coast at Fort-de-France ~Martinique

Capitaine Jean Micheale Fournier stood near the con, enjoying subtle pitch of deck below his feet and the quiet of early morning display of Caribbean dawn. As was normal to manner, he always felt a constant ease when on rolling deck versus the so called "stability"offered by land surface. It was always when on dirt terrain that problems seemed to crop up and taunt his physical- mental well being. He focused sight on architecture that comprised the growth of Fort-de-France and spit in mild disgust. Life was so much more simplistic when running blockade in the Med and he caught his thoughts wandering to memories of that far away place.The toll of ship's bell brought his attention back to the present time...and present aggrivations. Somewhere, amidst the slow to wake Martiniquais, there existed his largest irritation and a seemingly constant one at that.

Monseigneur Louis Claude Garavaque, the name sounded almost as pompous and indugent as the man that bore it. The title of Gouverneur gave further proof to the fact that money and bloodline would enable incompitance rise to lofty position. It seemed that Garavaque bore no real love for Capitaine Fournier, either; for there existed a constant "push me-pull you" bout with every return to Martinique and that was of no secret. Garavaque gave great effort to making things more than just a bit unbearable with little games of self import, re-enforcing just "who exactly was in charge". The Gouverneur's latest attempt had been to keep the "Chasse" capitaine waiting outside chambers for the legnth of two and a half hours past the appointed time for report. Jean Micheale oft pondered whether these little shows of sadistic manner where just due to twisted nature...or that mayhaps Garavaque suspected the intimate rapport involving his Mistress and that this was a form of punishment.

Gut instinct dictated that Madame Dourmerc was entertaining the uncivilized fiend at this moment, and the thought gave unconscience sudder to his stance. Moving to the taff rail, Fournier studied where the penninsula lay across the bay. Thankfully, it would be only another day's passing before he could issue orders to regain the open sea and leave all of this behind for a space of time. Unless, of course, the Aristo Bratling deemed to dictate otherwise....

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

Upon waking, William was faced with the question of the recovered anchor. Too pleased for words, William sat awhile before he sent word for the anchor to be hauled up and lashed into place near the cathead while the cable was repaired. Then he sent orders for the Watch Dog to be put out to sea seven leagues. The location to be at Mister Lasseter's disgression.

Then William's injuries were examined by the doctor and she noted with approval that his color had returned and that he seemed more animate than she had expected. His appetite was strong, and he was able to eat much, though slowly. He was doing very well in her estimation.

Still, she denied his request to be moved into his own quarters, but allowed him to conduct what business he could from the surgery.

William sent for the ship's carpenter.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpg

Standing beside Mr Hawks, we are addressed by the surgeon's assistant, Armand. He conveys that the captain is with improved strength and he asked to be joined by his carpenter. Mr Hawks waves me away and I anxiously follow Armand below deck to join our captain. :ph34r:

"Good morning." William said, trying not to grunt from discomfort even as Armand was propping him up with pillows. "I am sorry that I so recently damaged your handiwork when I cut away the anchor. I was moved more by speed than care, and I know that your deck suffered for it. I'm told that you have sped you efforts to make all the necessary repairs with due diligence and I wanted to thank you for that."

Now, there is another matter. We will be putting to sea again very soon and as I wish to return to my duties, post haste, I may need your very exact skills. With my injuries being what they are, I may require the use of a cane for a short period of time."

A smile as broad as day emerges as I think of that fyne hardwood I have been saving for a special project. I stand tall as I advise our captain that I will need to take a few measurements and will be working on meeting his need as soon as possible. :ph34r:

William allowed himself to be measured, and not for the first time, he was glad that it wasn't for a coffin.

After Rummy left with her measurements, William asked for his charts to be brought and he lay there with them pinned up all about him, studying the next course of action they would take. He let his eyes drift over the cartography of each island and coast line and began plotting where they might find the best "market place".

Upon waking, William was faced with the question of the recovered anchor.  Too pleased for words, William sat awhile before he sent word for the anchor to be hauled up and lashed into place near the cathead while the cable was repaired and sent orders for the Watch Dog to be put out to sea seven leagues.  the location to be at Mister Lasseter's disgression.

:: the seaman returned to Mr. Badger, who then relayed the orders to Mr. Lasseter aboard Samson...::

"We're comin' your way Mr. Lasseter! Hold Fast!"

:: The QM doffed his hat and bowed to the Bo'sun, replacing his hat he turned to the barge crew ::

A'right lads.... keep a hand on th' cable... we gonna rig it ta th' capst'n... tha'll do fine... at yer ease... keep yer eyes sharp... dunno wot we c'n 'spect from shore...

::The crew relaxed some, those nearer the shore kept looking up and down the beach, the others out at the ship as Mr. Badger made reperations to come close in and retrieve the anchor... It was quiet this early, few birds stirred, the sounds of the capstan pawls clanked across the water as the ships' anchor rose from the water, orders yelled to make sail, then she moved... closer to the barge, the ship loomed over them, the helm was put over and the great ship fell off, the spash of the anchor sending a spray of water over the barge...::

Bo'sun! Tha' was almost too close! Ye almost 'ad to go lookin' fer a new barge, an ' we still need a cutter! A'right men! rig a cable o'er th' cathead an' lower it down! Nigel, splice th' end ta th' anchor cable sos it c'n be hauled up... then a new end o' th' anchor cable c'n be rove onto th' main anchor... I's gonna head aboard, Grande work men!

::The QM grabbed hold of the main chains, swung himself up into them, then up onto the beakhead, over and onto the forecastle... he then walked aft to the quarterdeck, where he stood, watching as the men rigged and pulled the main anchor from the depths. Mr. Badger then relayed the last orders to the QM::

Aye, once th' main anchor is made fast, weigh th' other anchor, an' haed us back out ta where we were....

::with that, he headed below to his quarters, freshened up a bit then headed to the officers wardroom and picked through some of the charts spread on the table... he noted that some were missing, in fact, the ones of their present location off shore of the Isle De Desirade...::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

:: Jack stirs and begins to regain a tenuous grasp upon his wits. He feels the gentle rocking of of the ship, far smoother than the jostling gait of the jolly boat in his strange, troubling nightmares. He tries to open his eyes, but the small lamps of the Infirmary may as well have been the Noon sun, making his head throb with pain. And his leg... it hurts, so it must still be there. What are these? Restraints? He hears voices, and he slowly puts identities with what he hears... Dr. Fitz... Fitzgerald? Yes, that's right. And the Captain. Good. He's alive, then. And good Jacob's laugh. "I'm on the Watch Dog. What is my name? Damn it, not again... Jack. My name is Jack. Jack... Samson? No, that's not right. Jack S... St. Anthony. Jack St. Anthony. That's my name! I know my name!" Jack's mouth is parched, his tongue thick. He tries to speak, but his voice emerges as a weak croak ::

Water... Please...

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

:: not finding the charts he was seeking, the QM made his way to the sick ward, with an assumption that the captain may have the charts already... reaching the door, he passed by Armand, and gained enterance...::

Aye Cap'n, we got th' anchor secured, we be headin' out ta deep water soon... I sees ye a'ready got th' charts out... *smiles* I be on deck iffn' ye need me...

:: he turns away, sees the Surgeon and gives her a smile and a wink...::

"water.... Please...."

::A weak voice of the Master at Arms is heard...::

Aye Lad! Vome ta yer senses 'ave ye?

:: the Surgeon brings the dipper from the water bucket and gives it to Jack, soothing his parched throat, she checks him over and makes him relax...::

A'right.... much ta be done.... Oh, Tempest? Seems Ms. Christine, th' Cook.. she be feelin' low.. looks ta been in 'er hammock fer th' past day 'r so... see'in as 'r Cap'n n' Master 't Arms be on th' mend, give 'er a look-see.... Thankee...

::with a smile, he heads topside just in time to see the sails fill with wind and feel the slight lurch of the ship as she gets under weigh...::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

:: not finding the charts he was seeking, the QM made his way to the sick ward, with an assumption that the captain may have the charts already... reaching the door, he passed by Armand, and gained enterance...::

Aye Cap'n, we got th' anchor secured, we be headin' out ta deep water soon... I sees ye a'ready got th' charts out... *smiles* I be on deck iffn' ye need me...

"Thank you, Mister Lasseter."

William returns to the charts and begins making notes both mental and actual.

The maps are filled with evidence of every major seafaring nation of Europe. The Dutch, English, French and Spanish have occupied every coastline and island within a thousand miles worth having and this means that the seas are beginning to fill with goods and with dangers.

"I could throw a stone and hit a target."

22 June, 1704

5 bells 2nd Dog Watch 1830

:: It had been a long day thus far... returning to the cove where the ship was attacked before she was ready to head out, salvaging the main anchor that was left behind, and now, back out to sea... The Quartermaster stood on the quarterdeck, watching as the barge crew finished returning the barge, Samson to its berth...::

Aye Lads, all stowed away? Grande.... Mr. Badger, I must go below ta th' Armoury, need ta stow all th' arms from 'r wee trip there... A'right Lads! report ta th' Armoury, sos I c'n account fer yer weapons...

:: the QM heads below to the Armoury, unlocks the heavy door, swinging it wide open... He stands and waits as each crewmember comes below, hands over what weapons that were issued for the excursion, notes it in the Armoury log, then stowes each sword, pistol, and long arm in it's place... Once finished, he locks up and heads back up on deck...::

Ah, a fine day.... looks as if we be close ta seven leagues out... wot say ye, Mr. Badger?

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

:: Jack strains to adjust to the light. He lolls his head about, trying to get his bearings. He sees the good Doctor, administering water. Cool, sweet water. Tasteless, yet utterly satisfying. His head swings in the direction of the Captain's voice, and he sees the charts in the Captain's hands. He focuses for a bit and says ::

Sir, that be a Portugese rutter. Very accurate. Target... rich... Lots for the taking... If ye catch... me meaning... Admiralty.... sent... me...

:: Jack falls back into haunted slumber, of duty, honor, and betrayal... ::

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

(reading for what seems days I have been diligent to the matters of thought and process and brought them into the forefront of need and sharing.) I found it! I said to myself as I really wanted to yell it out. Now I was re-reading the verse making sure of it's non threatening blind intentions, Christianity is a work of art one that can be mis inerpreted in any one of a number of ways. But "here it is" I said aloud to no one there. So read aloud:

they all died anyway – even though they did not disobey an explicit commandment of God, as Adam did. What a contrast between Adam and Christ, who was yet to come! 15 And what a difference between our sin and God's generous gift of forgiveness. For this one man, Adam, brought death to many through his sin. But this other man, Jesus Christ, brought forgiveness to many through God's bountiful gift. 16 And the result of God's gracious gift is very different from the result of that one man's sin. For Adam's sin led to condemnation, but we have the free gift of being accepted by God, even though we are guilty of many sins. 17 The sin of this one man, Adam, caused death to rule over us, but all who receive God's wonderful, gracious gift of righteousness will live in triumph over sin and death through this one man, Jesus Christ. 18 Yes, Adam's one sin brought condemnation upon everyone, but Christ's one act of righteousness makes all people right in God's sight and gives them life. 19 Because one person disobeyed God, many people became sinners. But because one other person obeyed God, many people will be made right in God's sight. 20 God's law was given so that all people could see how sinful they were. But as people sinned more and more, God's wonderful kindness became more abundant. 21 So just as sin ruled over all people and brought them to death, now God's wonderful kindness rules instead, giving us right standing with God and resulting in eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

The teak wood is indeed the perfect choice for the good captain's crutch. I have shaped it carefully and it is the right length to just fit beneath his arm comfortable like. The support is padded with pret near a half pound of cannon wadding beneath a sheepshin covering. The oiled finish has been hand rubbed in and alas, it is ready to present.

I makes me way to the infirmary and meets Dr Fitzgerald at the doorway. "Beg pardon, Doctor, I sees our captain is resting. Would ye be so kind as to give this to him when he wakes." My arm stretches out toward the surgeon with crutch in hand. Her generally serious expression glows in the light of the lantern with a kind smile as she receives the implement and begins to examine it. "I be much apreciative" I tells her as I make way topside. Thar be a ful moon brewin' this eve. <_<

Moving carefully she tries to get up. Realizing too late this is a bad idea, her weak legs give out on her and she hits the ground hard.....blacks out......*

(His shift finally at end, and the extra time spent watching as the anchor and barge crew return safely, Ciaran finally leaves the nest and deck, and heads below. As his stomach rumbles he decides to go by the galley to see what the cook might have fer him to eat. Walks inside but finds not the cook nor any sign of cooking having recently occurred.

'Tis odd,' Ciaran thinks.

He walks to the cook's quarter and raps upon her door. No answer. Raps again and then opens the door and finds Christine unconscious on the floor, a bloody gash upon her forehead.

Ciaran scoops her up in his arms and carries her to the Surgery. Kicks the door gently with his foot, as he holds the cook in his arms.)

Doctor Fitzgerald! Armand! Ouvert, s'il vous plait!

I wonder if one of the most important steps on our journey is the one in which we throw away the map.

-- Loreena McKennitt

My fathers knew of wind and tide, and my blood is maritime.

-- Stan Rogers

I don't pretend to be captain weird.

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

The fine display of teak craftmanship was stowed safely away until its need was called for. The Surgeon's wooden kingdom had regained its quiet existance after word had been given that none should trespass without medical need until the sun regained its place in the heavens. The Captain had drifted to sleep while studying the aray of charts he had requested, these had been removed from his person and placed securely in one of the large sea chests along the wall.

As Tempest locked the charts away, she could not help thinking of their master. William was recovering from his injury in an above average foward progression. The last inspection of wounds gave no indication of swelling or discoloration; there was no evidence of ill seepage and his fevers seemed to have given loose their hold. She thought back to the conversation they had shared recently and how at ease they seemed to be with each other. It was very similar to the kinderedship she felt with the Quartermaster; though it could be said that there existed unique facets differing in both cases. If William continued in pace of recovery, she would give serious thought to allowing his request of return to the Great cabin in the near future. From behind, a sound of distress broke the silence and she spun on heel, centering on the source.

The Master at Arms was in another unseen battle with the deamons that plagued his unconscience mind. Fleet of foot, Tempest regained his side and watched the troubled expression cross his features in reaction to the latest melee. Gently she mopped his sweat soaked brow to half ledgible verbal protest against his harriers. It weighed upon her heart heavily, these sufferings that persisted to taunt and torment her charge with relentless greed. The catalog that existed within her mental library raced to formulate a relief to Jack's angst. Modern Medicine would not due in this case, the parameters were too vast...But, she thought, modern technique was not always what provided the order of the day. There were other means...older means, and though some might look down on the methodes of certain aboriginal mixtures as false practice, she knew otherwise. The last inspection of Jack's physical ailment had shown some improvement, but it was the malady that tore at his mind that was beginning to concern her more. Mind and body were one in the same and in his tender state of being, Tempest worried that the mental may cause harm to the physical.

It was during these musings that the call of urgency crossed the thresh hold from the outer world.

"Doctor Fitzgerald! Armand! Ouvert, s'il vous plait!"

Armand made quick work of the inner door fastenings and swung it wide to reveal the newest edition of the Ward's hospitality.

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

"Doctor Fitzgerald! Armand! Ouvert, s'il vous plait!"

Armand made quick work of the inner door fastenings and swung it wide to reveal the newest edition of the Ward's hospitality.

(As Armand swung wide the door, Ciaran carries the unconscious cook into Surgery. The Doctor quickly cleared a table against the far wall and instructed that Christine be laid upon it.)

Madame Docteur, Armand, pardon-moi pour ma intrusion! J'ai trouve la cuisiniere sur le plancher. (Ciaran lays her on the table and steps back as Tempest begins to examine Christine. He turns slightly toward Armand.)

I had heard that the cook had been experiencing nightmares since our encounter with the Dark Lament and was not feeling well. I went into the galley a few moments ago and she was not there, so I knocked on her chamber door. There was no answer and as I looked inside I found her like this on the floor. She hit her head, it appears, as she fell. (Ciaran points toward the gash.)

I wonder if one of the most important steps on our journey is the one in which we throw away the map.

-- Loreena McKennitt

My fathers knew of wind and tide, and my blood is maritime.

-- Stan Rogers

I don't pretend to be captain weird.

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

June 22, 1704 - Aboard the Watch Dog

first bell of first watch

The first bell of the first watch rang out clear in the quiet hours of the night. The sounds of conversation from all decks came with it. Some of the crew were at cards in the fo'c'sle where Rummy was in the midst of a melancholy, but nostalgic tune on her flute.

William lay listening to the tune and the three that followed, only interrupted by small murmurings from Jack as he slept.

While they both had been there,William had tried in vain to piece together information about the man as he rambled in fever or talked in his sleep, but what he learned seemed more puzzling than the silence in between. Still, the man was recovering, from his injuries, if not his past.

William's eyes fell upon Christine, who had arrived in Ciaran's arms some time during the second dog watch. She seemed in a sleep and he hoped it was a deep one. He had learned much upon her arrival that he had missed before. He learned of her unexplained imprisonment during battle and the blow to the head she had suffered. Now she lay here yet again with additional harm to her head.

William pressed Tempest again to be moved to his own quarters, where he insisted that he could recovery better surrounded by his own things.

"You will have more room for these unexpected patients if I am not here." William said, putting on his most winning smile and was surprised to see it work as she brought out Rummy's finished work.

At first, William said nothing. Then he couldn't say anything for a time because of laughter. He tried not to, but it just surfaced on its own.

Tempest smiled a little puzzled at his reaction, for it was a fine and sturdy piece of work. The ship's carpenter had put all her best skills into this one.

"I'm sorry doctor." William said as he pressed a hand gingerly to his bandages. It hurt to laugh. A lot of his laughter was in his chest and shoulders, but the pain made him laugh a little more anyway. "It's just that the carpenter has gone the extra mile. I ask for a cane and she makes me a crutch. I just hope that it isn't a sign of things to come."

"You might just need a crutch more for the time being." she offered, smiling a little more now.

William nodded. It was true, a crutch would be better at first and it was very well made. He found this out as he tested it around the room, satisfying the doctor even more that he could be granted some mobility.

"Please be sure to thank Rummy for me. The craftsmanship is of the highest quality and it shall steady me in unsteady seas for a time."

Then Armand guided William in the near dark to his cabin and Tempest remained with Jack as he whispered half-dreamed truths. Christine lay in a half curled moon of slumber.

The second bell of the first watch tolled.

June 22, 1704 - Aboard the Watch Dog

Second bell of first watch