Pyrates of the West Coast

"Jack, in the abscence of Mister Morgan, would you be so kind as to distribute a modest number of pistols among the crew."

William places emphasis on the word modest.

"Go about it carefully, Jack. Most...carefully. Let's not start a fight we can't manuever in. Don't give out pistols to any crew member who looks either too wary or too anxious to be armed. Am I understood?"

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpg

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:: Jack stifles the look of relief that suddenly crowds his face ::

Aye, sir. I'll distribute arms with the utmost care. You have my word.

:: Jack heads for the Armoury, and once there, he sets about filling a small rucksack with six pistols, powder, and shot. ::

No more than that, lest we risk general disorder. If it's known I have too few weapons as to affect mutiny, then we'll keep to the good side of things. Another trip, and things should be well in hand...

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

William continued to watch the ship's approach. Then, she quite suddenly turned in her course, showing herself broadside.

William couldn't have been more shocked. She was a xebec.

"As I live and breath..."

It had been some 20 years since he had seen such a ship. She was as delicate and sturdy a xebec as he had ever seen. She was trimmed just like the last one he had known: triangular sails and leaning hard over on her tiller to show her empty gunports.

"Someone bring me Mad Jack."

He continued to watch her until she returned to a forward course, not quite along the Watch Dog's line. He stared through the glass, unable to take his eyes off her. She was the most unexpected joy he had known in the past 48 horrible bells.

His mind went back to a hundred different memories of Mahdi.

How many times had they crossed the Eastern Mediteranean on a xebec? How many times had they sailed into trade ports on just such a craft?

"What the devil is she doing here...?"

Nymphedanced the foam that caressed her fine line, heeling to starboard just once before continuing on her forward progress. Capitaine Moreau scanned the frigate's deck, looking for the man described as the master of the variable threat asleep in the cove ahead. A flash of reflection from afar drew his scrutiny to a lone figure standing calm amonst the semi-flurry of movement...

"So, mon ami...I see you are curious and probably a bit shaken by our sudden appearance. For thirty years, I played my part by the ruse de guerre for the La Marine Nationale and have met such as you...I shall remove your fears, I think."

Turning toward the main deck Moreau called a series of orders in the fashion he had learned in service of the French Crown. The fore and main sails were taken in, leaving her to the power of her smaller mizzen at the aft quarter. Surveying the cove again, he gave a nod to the hand standing near one of the polished culverins to which the waiting slowmatch was applied followed by the thunder of blank shot. Her pilot deftly heeled her to port showing her legnth once more to those in the cove. Signals broke out to announce the xebec's intentions. Moreau studied the Watch Dog with a wisened eye as he addressed the man steering behind and to his left.

"Monsieur Chevalier...keep this bearing. I wish to be no closer until I know that they understand our intention. With luck, someone aboard that ship is a former La Marine Nationale de Angleterre. If there is no response, we shall run up the white semaphore."

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

Cheryl watched the Captain pass by as she took another cloth from the pail of cool water and wrung the excess water from it. She then took the present warm cloth from Diego's forehead and replaced it with the one she had just prepared. The warm cloth goes back into the pail

As she sits back, Diego starts muttering the strange words in his sleep again. Straightening back up, she leans over to stroke his hair. She then starts humming softly a long forgotten tune from her childhood. After a few rounds of the tune, Diego quiets down. She smiles and sits back again, listening to the gentle snoring of Ciaren.

Mad Woman Cheryl

By Odin's mighty spear, I hereby snap and go berzerk!!!"

William stood but a while longer watching the ship's approach. Then the empty report of a powder shot brought him round.

"Mister Badger, please call Mister Lasseter to the deck and have the Master Gunner fire off a signal shot only. No ball, if you please. Only powder. It seems that we have guests."

*The sun is barely over the horizon when a cry comes from the beach…another boat, a cutter flying a French flag is within sight. The men aboard cannot help but to have seen the ship. Still, the cutter sails straight toward the Watch Dog, oblivious to the danger that her master has put her in. Just out of cannon range the cutter tacks broadside to the beach and fires swivel guns fore and aft. There are but two men on board, and they stagger about the boat, striking the little boat’s colors, and then tack back toward the Watch Dog and the shore.*

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

*Jim Warren stands in the stern of the cutter with a flagon in one hand, saluting the rest of the crew…*

“Ahoy the shore! Did we wake ye this fine Mornin? Send word ta the Captain tha’ me an’ ol’ Shipwreck ‘ave brought ‘im a gift. An’ I see tha’ we be havin’ the company o'another ship. Anyone I know?”

*With that Jim staggers and falls into the stern sheets. Shipwreck John is lounging in the bows, unwilling to rise, tankard in hand also…*

*The cutter that Shipwreck John and Jim Warren have brought is 36 feet in length and has ten oar stations. There are seats in the bow for six additional men and one gleaming brass swivel gun. In the stern are accommodations for an additional four men and another swivel gun set to starboard, in addition to the helmsman. The lateen sail and skillful handling will make the boat nimble and quick. It is soon at anchor just yards from the beach…*

3ff66f1f.jpg

Cheryl watched the Captain pass by as she took another cloth from the pail of cool water and wrung the excess water from it. She then took the present warm cloth from Diego's forehead and replaced it with the one she had just prepared. The warm cloth goes back into the pail

As she sits back, Diego starts muttering the strange words in his sleep again. Straightening back up, she leans over to stroke his hair. She then starts humming softly a long forgotten tune from her childhood. After a few rounds of the tune, Diego quiets down. She smiles and sits back again, listening to the gentle snoring of Ciaren.

*With all the comotion going, She decides "That perhaps I would be of use in sick may after all. Sees Cheryl sitting keep vigil, knocks quitely upon the door* Excuse me M'am but I was wandering if I could. . . I mean if it is possible. . .to sit with the Monsingnor for a while!

Kendra2.jpg

"Courage is the decision to fly straight into the flame while knowing the consequences"~ The Adventures Of A Notorious Youth Capt. Hook

By: J. V. Hart

"A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving."~Lao Tzu 490-570 BC

---------

Yes, I am leaving the pub. I don't know when or if I will come back to this port. I will check in from time to time. Until then:

*raising goblet of good cheer*

" To high adventure, and wild romance....long may they endure!"

For I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content

Philippians 4:11

Twitter:

TwittKnitter

Facebook:

shanamartin1

:: Jack answers the call to return topside. He arrives at the main deck just as a single salute is given by a sleek little ship passing off our side. He noted her empty gunports along with the fact that we'd not been called to quarters. Jack quickened his pace to get to the Captain's side, still carrying the rucksack of pistols ::

You wanted to see me, Captain?

*Jim and Shipwreck splash ashore, carrying what was left of a small cask of rum. Crew members quickly gather around, congratulating the pyrates of their success, and wanting to know the details of the venture.*

“Well, here be the tale…Shipwreck an’ I made our way up the coast in the comp’ny o’ some o’ the natives. They be telling me aboot a French ship a’ anchor up north. Seems they be takin’ on water an’ stores an’ tradin’ wi’ the natives. It also seems tha’ each night one o’ the officers was want ta go ashore an’ be acquainted wi’ the native girls. Now the officer would take ten men ta man the oars, but not a full compliment. Two men be left ta stand guard an’ the rest be off on their own business. When the officer be finished wi’ ‘is errand he be firin’ a gun ta bring the rest.”

*Jim stops momentarily to gather the rest of the story…and another tot of rum.*

“Me an’ Shipwreck decides ta ‘ave ‘im stroll down the beach as big as brass, pretenden’ ta be drunk…as ye can see, he be good at it…”

*Jim and Shipwreck collapse in howls of laughter…*

“An’ I be lurkin’ in the water like a big ol’ ‘Gator lizard, waitin’ fer ‘em ta be distracted. Ol’ Ship’ ‘ere, ‘e falls right inta one o’ ‘em an is ‘angin’ on like a long lost brother when I cracks the other one on ‘is ‘ead wi’ the handle o’ me knife. Ship’s man turns ta see what be ‘appenin’ an Ship cracks ‘in on the skull wi’ ‘is pistol. ‘An jus’ like tha’ we be the proud owners o’ this fine cutter.”

*Jim and Shipwreck again fall on each other in peals of laughter…*

“So we ties ‘em up an’ drag ‘em ita the woods there, an’ just as we be finishin’ up, two more o’ the crew shows up wi’ a fine ol’ cask o’ rum. Couldna’ tell wha’ they was sayin’ but I gathered that they was tryin’ ta smuggle tha’ cask back onta the ship. Now tha’ be against regulations, so me an Shipwreck decides ta help ‘em stay honest sailors…”

*Once again, Jim and Shipwreck collapse in paroxysms of laughter. ..*

“One o’ the new men starts ta look around fer the first two, an’ pokes ‘is ‘ead inta the bushes. ‘E was quite surprised ta see ol Ship thar wi’ ‘is pistol pointed between ‘is eyes. The second man ‘as got the rum on the beach, an’ I steps out o’ the trees wi’ me pistol drawn an’ ‘e does the peaceful thing an’ gives up ‘is ‘ands. So we ties up these two an’ make the boat ready ta sail. No one got killed, just cracked skulls an’ wounded pride. Didna’ want ta make ‘em blood mad. Just in case one o’ em could speak the Kings language, we talked about ‘eadin’ north ta join up wi’ one o’ the Kings Men o’ War…thought tha’ might give ‘em somthin’ ta tell the officer when ‘e got back. So then we shoved off an’ ‘eaded north, showin’ a light ever’ once an’ a while, like we was being careless. We sailed all night Friday an’ all day Saturday near shore so’s we might be seen. Saturday night we ‘eaded offshore an’ south, an’ got ‘ere afore light today. Stood off fer three hours so’s we wouldna’ get shot comin’ in. ‘Ats when we decided ta celebrate wi some o’ this ‘ere rhum.”

*Jim and Shipwreck touch glasses and take a deep pull of the rum…*

“An that ain’t all…In the boat we found this ‘ere case o’ twenty pistols an’ these ‘ere ten long guns.”

3ff66f1f.jpg

(Ciaran is awakened by all the commotion and laughter from topside. He sits up, groggy, remembers where he is and walks over to Diego, Cheryl and Kendra.)

How be the Monsignor this mornin? (he says as he takes a cloth and wipes Diego's forehead).

I wonder if one of the most important steps on our journey is the one in which we throw away the map.

-- Loreena McKennitt

My fathers knew of wind and tide, and my blood is maritime.

-- Stan Rogers

I don't pretend to be captain weird.

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

William stood but a while longer watching the ship's approach. Then the empty report of a powder shot brought him round.

"Mister Badger, please call Mister Lasseter to the deck and have the Master Gunner fire off a signal shot only. No ball, if you please. Only powder. It seems that we have guests."

::Hearing the word passed for him by the Captian, the QM makes his way topside after a long night with much to do...::

Aye Cap'n, wot be the news this.... day....

::he is distracted by the sight of not one, but two ships, one a cutter, of which he assumes would be Jim Warren, returned... the other, not a native to these waters... He had last seen such a vessel while on Minorca, in the Med. Sea...

The Captian orders a signal shot to be fired::

Aye, aye...

Mister Youngblood!

Would ye be kind enough ta load one o' the long nines, wi' powder on'y, as a signal back ta th' ship standin' in....

:: The QM takes his position next to the captian, hands clasped behind his back, awaiting further orders... ::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Aye Cap'n...

::knuckles forehead::

Where be th' dingy? Ah, there...

::the QM climbs down the side of the ship to the dingy, attached to the main chains, he then pulls for shore, where a group of sailors stand, laughing, listening to two others... soon he reaches the beach, hops out and pulls the dingy up, then approaches the crew...::

Aye Lads!!!! Wot be th' hoopla?

Mr. Warren! Th' Cap'n requests tha' ye bring th' cutter 'longside o' th' ship... now........

:: stepping closer, he notices the very heavy scent of rum on the men ::

Well, well, well... got inta th' stores??? Drunk ye be... not fit ta do yer duty?

Come along, you too, shipwreck....

:: He turns and leads the two men to the dingy, has them launch it while he stands in the stern :: they row out to the cutter and under his eye, weigh anchor, and bring it alongside of the ship....::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

William rushes to his cabin to dress more formally. After a time he reappears on deck, and for the first time since taking command, he looks the part.

He walks out to the rail in a long coat of tans, yellows and gold over a vest of deep burgandy. He slips the baldric with cutlass over his shoulder and places a wide black hat on his head. He wears no pistol. Only a calm and patient face that only just hides a smile.

He stands at the rail waiting for the cutter to arrive.

Nearing the mouth of the cove and assured of the frigate's knowledge of friendly intent, the achor is ordered to secure position. Capitain Moreau watches the decks of the other vessel, old instincts die hard. Noticing the re-emergence of the Frigate Captain's presence on deck adorned in finery, he retreats to private quarters to return the show of respect. Gaining his former station on the poop deck, Moreau gleens the form of a large launch coming around the Frigate's bow. There is a familiarity to the cutter's line that nags to be recognized and the Frenchman scrutinizes it a bit closer .

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

:: As the cutter makes its way to the ship, the QM sees a man who could only be the captain appear on deck... he is dressed in what must be his finery...::

Look Lads... there be th' Cap'n... 'e's dressed form'ly.... An' you too drunk as skunks...

:: the cutter comes along side, handled well enough so as to not bump into the ships' side, Mr. Sons catching hold of the chains in the bow... The QM then looks up to the deck... ::

Ahoy Cap'n William.... here be th' cutter.... I'll be comin' back aboard...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Once the men are all aboard, William leans in to both lads and whispers, "We shall now make a great show of clapping you both in irons. Be careful that you understand how important it is that you are sent bellow."

William walks away from the two staggering sailors.

"Mister Lasseter! Clap these men in irons and have them taken below! I shall go immediately to the neighboring ship, hard by, and discuss the situation. Mad Jack, Miss Smith, Mister Brisbane and Mister Tucker, you're with me!"

:: Jack hastily straightens his waistcoat, shirt, and hat, and hands the rucksack of pistols Mr. Lasseter ::

Here, sir. Something tells me we won't be needing these.

:: He hurries to rejoin the Captain's party ::

The intense pierce of grey eyes narrow a slight as Moreau's mind works over the sight of the cutter. He decides to bide time until able to view the longboat cleared. There is some matter of ship's buisness taking place on yon decks and he focuses to determine the goings on as two seaman are led below.

"Mister Lasseter! Clap these men in irons and have them taken below! I shall go immediately to the neighboring ship, hard by, and discuss the situation. Mad Jack, Miss Smith, Mister Brisbane and Mister Tucker, you're with me!"

:: Knuckles forehead, standing very stiff ::

You there! Go below an' fetch me some irons! Be quick about it!!!

::He draws his pistol, pionts it at the two men, steps over and disarms them, tucking their pistols into his belt, dropping their swords to the deck behind him ::

*whispers through gritted teeth*

Relax lads... all fer show...

::the man sent below returns with the shackles::

Right! lock 'em up!

:: the QM steps back, keeping his pistol, and now one of their own aimed at each of them as they are in turn shackled::

Very well, Now lads... to th' brig!! MOVE!!!!!

:: the now shackled men shuffle to the hatchway, awkwardly making their way below, just before he follows them, the QM truns to the captain...::

All is well Cap'n.....

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

:: Jack hastily straightens his waistcoat, shirt, and hat, and hands the rucksack of pistols Mr. Lasseter ::

Here, sir. Something tells me we won't be needing these.

:: He hurries to rejoin the Captain's party ::

:: takes the sack from Jack ::

Ah... well... mayhaps not...

::Looks to the captain for what he might want done with the sack of weaponry::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif