Pyrates of the West Coast

Nicholas Johnson "Cut-throat" Johnson Ye be a welcome hand aboard what now be yer ship as well. We are all even here(on board) equal rights equal shares and equal work. I saw you in the pub and thought to meself that is a seaman and will make one of the noastiest boarders ever. (i thought) now how is it that I can make interest of opportunity worth his expensive tastes work for the ship? Seems it did work and I thank ye for your alligience to the "Watch Dogs" cause. Welcome aboard and God bless yer efforts and integrity. Quartermaster lats get this ships hull claened what say? Good morning Tempest how fair thee? Sir William the vote is close to yer favor and needs no further addressing for the crew is appearantly with common goals. A glourious day it be! Huzzah!

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good morning, Monsigner.

(William arches his back until it pops and then douses his face from a bucket at the mizzenmast.)

I am troubled this morning by the most horrible knot in my neck. I foolishly allowed myself to nod off in the cables piled in the forecastle.

(He turns to Nicholas Johnson.)

Good morning, Mister Nicholas. Do you possess any experience as regards the loading and firing of the cannon?

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpg

Standing at proper attention while being addressed by the Ship's Master and Captain, Cut Johnson politely bows to Diego for his welcome. " I thank ye kind sir, for this be an opportunity I could not but accept. Boardin ? Aye sir, I've quite a bit o experience boardin prospective ships as it were....Equality ye say ? That be just the thing to power me work hands, sir ".

Just as Captain William turns to address the ship's newest addition, Johnson respectfully bows. " Any experience Cap'n ?....The only experience I have loadin an firin a cannon, be the one I tucked into me belt, sir. But I admit, with the proper guidance, I be a quick study, an a sturdy hand, sir. If'n gunner be not the place for me, says ye, I'll gladly an eagerly make me'self useful elsewhere....I hear that the Watch Dog be in need o a proper careenin. I could definately be of use there, to start, sir".

Glad ta report that everything at the fort is now done - Mr Hawks has supplied all the needed iron and I have personally made sure the gate is secure and the tower has been structured strong and fyne fer me mates tas use as a lookout. Let's lay this ship down and get this careening job underway! :ph34r:

Turning from the starboard rail and sipping from the morning ritual*

Good morn to you as well, Monsigner. Tis a fine presentation of temperature as can be wished for the process of awakening.

*Takes in the newest recruite and moves from the rail to closer proximity addressing the Captain*

The office suites you well, I do believe. There seems a certain glow permiating from your person, not there before. I give you heartfelt joy in your raise of status, sir. As for the angst of your neck, there is a herbal medicinal balm in my possession that would aleaviate you discomfort in a short of time.

*Centering on Mister Johnson*

Good morn to you, Mister Johnson. May I extend my welcome to you with your choice of signing on. I am the Ship's Physician and Surgeon, at your service if need arises. Please never hesitate no matter how small the complaint.

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

"Thank ye kindly, Miss Fitzgerald. Physician an Surgeon says ye ? Well, me only hope be that we keep meetin on less ailin terms, aye ? Though it be a great comfort to know that a person o yer expertise be near. Ol' Cut does have a tendency to get banged up a bit, here an there ".

Just as Captain William turns to address the ship's newest addition, Johnson respectfully bows. " Any experience Cap'n ?....The only experience I have loadin an firin a cannon, be the one I tucked into me belt, sir. But I admit, with the proper guidance, I be a quick study, an a sturdy hand, sir. If'n gunner be not the place for me, says ye, I'll gladly an eagerly make me'self useful elsewhere....I hear that the Watch Dog be in need o a proper careenin. I could definately be of use there, to start, sir".

When Time permits Mister Johnson, I would have you learn to load and fire one of the swivel guns for the purpose of clearing prize ships of her fighting crew prior to boardings. See that you make this known to the Master Gunner for training in this regard and welcome aboard.

The office suites you well, I do believe. There seems a certain glow permiating from your person, not there before. I give you heartfelt joy in your raise of status, sir. As for the angst of your neck, there is  a herbal medicinal balm in my possession that would aleaviate you discomfort in a short of time.

Thank you, Doctor. If the trouble in my night twisted spine persists than I will avail myself of your services. Is your patient doing well this morning?

When the stalwart Captain William made mention of manning the swivel guns, Johnson's eyes widened in eager anticipation. Clearing the deck of a prize vessel was not only exciting, it was an honor. It was the necessary preparation before a boarding party could engage. Cut-throat had a weather-eye, and was a crack-shot with a pistol. The swivel guns would be a perfect place for one such as Johnson.

With a respectful nod of his head, Johnson's only reply to Captain William was, " Thank ye Cap'n, thank ye ! ".

Johnson immediately set out to locate the Master Gunner to report for duty.

*Centering on the Captain*

The Master Gunner is well at ease and being watched by my Steward. I do suggest that he not be troubled overmuch with queries. Perhaps the Gunner's Mate would be of service to the needs of Mister Nicholas? As to your discomfort, the application of the balm in question is a brief procedure and its affects are rather immediate. I am at your service, as always.

Mister Johnson...You are one to flatter my station, though I do thank you for your kind observation. As to getting banged up a bit...I fear I tend to deal with such circumstances of whimsy on a steady basis. I can assure you that I can remedy such nearly blindfolded.

*Smiles warmly with a slight bow*

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

Good morning, Monsigner.

(William arches his back until it pops and then douses his face from a bucket at the mizzenmast.)

I am troubled this morning by the most horrible knot in my neck. I foolishly allowed myself to nod off in the cables piled in the forecastle.

(He turns to Nicholas Johnson.)

Good morning, Mister Nicholas. Do you possess any experience as regards the loading and firing of the cannon?

Aye Aye Sir William or should I be so bold so as to honor ye with (what might be construed as a premature to many) Aye Aye Captain! Good to be aboard!

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

The Master Gunner is well at ease and being watched by my Steward. I do suggest that he not be troubled overmuch with queries. Perhaps the Gunner's Mate would be of service to the needs of Mister Nicholas?  As to your discomfort, the application of the balm in question is a brief procedure and its affects are rather immediate. I am at your service, as always.

Mister Johnson! A word if you please!

(waits for Mister Johnson to return.)

I shall submit to your care momentarily, Doctor.

(turning to Mister Johnson)

The good doctor has infored me that the Master gunner is not to be disturbed. While hi convilescence persists, I shall demonstrate the finer points of the swivel gun to you.

*Laughes at Mister Johnson's remark*

Well then sir....I shall tell you that my prowess involving the application of sutures would make the Ladies of the English and French court's stitching circles green with envy. But do take care...

As you wish, Captain...

*Notices her cup is empty*

You will excuse me then. For it seems that my cup has lost its contents...I shall be in the Ward if needed.

Sir william would ye mind ifin I too were too jes in the case of need be arise? Should maybe a few of us see the ins and outs of the swivel guns advantages as well?

Of course, Monsigner. I should have everyone aboard learn the swivel guns in time, for the purpose of subplanting any fallen gunner. I will see as many of this crew instructed as I may and in turn, I shall expect you to train another until the knowledge is passed throughout the entire company.

Now, if you will all excuse me for a moment, the good Doctor wishes to remedy my discomfort.

Aye Aye good Sir. I too think we needs to pick up a few long bows fer the crows nests to be with at all times what say?

I might not have mentioned a few items of weaponry i di smuggle on board I have these two short swords and these four boot knives as well I should like to turn into storage. Is there a seaman ye might have talked to abouts the maste-at-arms position to be announced?

I will consider on the longbows. As for the Master-at-Arms, let the list be taken by Mister Lasseter until I can fill the position.

" Aye, Cap'n ! Me eyes an ears be yers, sir ".

Thank you, Mister Johnson.

(William goes below)

*Having refilled the cup with fresh coffee, she notices footsteps enter the Ward and glances over the rim mid-sip and quickly swallows, placing the cup to the side*

Ahh William, I had not expected you so soon...No matter. Please have a seat here by the desk and remove your shirt.

*Removing a set of keys hanging around her neck, unlock the three barriers to the massive chest containing medicinals. Retrieving a clay pot from the depths with a nod, she opens the fastened lid. The aroma permiates the air as she sets it down.*

Now sir, do tell where your discomfort lies...

Sir william would ye mind ifin I too were too jes in the case of need be arise? Should maybe a few of us see the ins and outs of the swivel guns advantages as well?

Of course, Monsigner. I should have everyone aboard learn the swivel guns in time, for the purpose of subplanting any fallen gunner. I will see as many of this crew instructed as I may and in turn, I shall expect you to train another until the knowledge is passed throughout the entire company.

Now, if you will all excuse me for a moment, the good Doctor wishes to remedy my discomfort.

Aye Aye good Sir. I too think we needs to pick up a few long bows fer the crows nests to be with at all times what say?

I might not have mentioned a few items of weaponry i di smuggle on board I have these two short swords and these four boot knives as well I should like to turn into storage. Is there a seaman ye might have talked to abouts the maste-at-arms position to be announced

Stopped in mid step by the Captain himself, Johnson is dismayed at the news of the Master Gunner's unfortunate situation. Taking off his tricorn and placing it over his heart respectfully, Johnson listens to Captain William's new order of operation.

Eyes wide with excitement, Johnson is extatic to learn that his swivel gun mentor would be the Captain himself. Equally, the Ship's Master, sir Diego, would be attending the lesson. Johnson was a fortunate scally-wag indeed.

" Aye, Cap'n ! Me eyes an ears be yers, sir ".

*Having refilled the cup with fresh coffee, she notices footsteps enter the Ward and glances over the rim mid-sip and quickly swallows, placing the cup to the side*

Ahh William, I had not expected you so soon...No matter. Please have a seat here by the desk and remove your shirt.

*Removing a set of keys hanging around her neck, unlock the three barriers to the massive chest containing medicinals. Retrieving a clay pot from the depths with a nod, she opens the fastened lid. The aroma permiates the air as she sets it down.*

(William walks over to the chair and laying his coat and shirt aside, he rest himself in the chair.)

I believe my neck and shoulder is the cause of the trouble, but mostly it is the neck. All of the pain and discomfort has settled in the larboard side making it difficult to turn me head to starboard. If it doesn't resolve itself soon I shall drift to the left.

(William walks over to the chair and laying his coat and shirt aside, he rest himself in the chair.)

I believe my neck and shoulder is the cause of the trouble, but mostly it is the neck. All of the pain and discomfort has settled in the larboard side making it difficult to turn me head to starboard. If it doesn't resolve itself soon I shall drift to the left.

(cupping me hands so as to let the infirmary hear) I hears ye jes what we need is a captain that sails in circles eh? ( laughing hysterically) :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

*Chuckling*

I cannot see where such listing should prove of benefit.

*With gentle care, runs her hands over the afflicted areas to see where the tauntness begins and where it radiates to. Applying the balm and pressure she steadily kneads the areas where the knoting is most obvious and works outward to where the tauntness dissipates*

Do not fall asleep on me now, William. I fear my small frame would not be enough to keep you from toppling off your perch. You should feel a heating sensation for a brief of time as the balm works its magic. I do not feel anything of major wrong...simply a case of muscular protest to an overlong held position through the night.

*Continues to work the muscles for twenty minutes, then checks the tauntness of the once afflicted areas and stands back with approval*

Good as new, or perhaps even better...I did notice areas that seemed to echo old injuries and have worked their offences to the wayside. Check back with me if they should flare again. As you were, my dear.

As Tempest tended to the Captain's stiff neck, Johnson takes the opportunity to approach one of the deck's swivel guns, and examine his future tool-of-trade.

Upon it's post stood one of the Watch Dog's swivel, or "murder guns". Johnson examined the fine piece of craftsmanship with a scrutinizing eye. The barrel was definately equipped to hold various sizes of shot. "Practicle..." Johnson whispered to himself. He studied the twin locks of the gun and took notice that foul weather would perhaps hamper the use of such a weapon. "Mayhaps if'n we fashioned a water cover or guard for the locks, we could use 'em in any weather ".

Johnson was taking a quick liking to the weapon indeed. He had heard of the guns being used for harpooning whales as well as for clearing a deck. His mind began to wander over the possibilities of using a harpoon for more than a whaling tool. " Hmmm.....the possibilities.....".

*Chuckling*

I cannot see where such listing should prove of benefit.

*With gentle care, runs her hands over the afflicted areas to see where the tauntness begins and where it radiates to. Applying the balm and pressure she steadily kneads the areas where the knoting is most obvious and works outward to where the tauntness dissipates*

Do not fall asleep on me now, William. I fear my small frame would not be enough to keep you from toppling off your perch. You should feel a heating sensation for a brief of time as the balm works its magic. I do not feel anything of major wrong...simply a case of muscular protest to an overlong held position through the night.

*Continues to work the muscles for twenty minutes, then checks the tauntness of the once afflicted areas and stands back with approval*

Good as new, or perhaps even better...I did notice areas that seemed to echo old injuries and have worked their offences to the wayside. Check back with me if they should flare again. As you were, my dear.

(William swivels his neck first left and then right, popping it on both sides. Then standing up he rotates his left arm at the shoulder, smiling with approval.)

Thank you, Doctor. Thank you very much. You've added a year and a day back to my neck.

(Turns to go and then stops in the doorway.)

Doctor, I thought that you should know that I am moving you into the space that is generally reserved for the second and third mates. Then I shall have the wall between this space, and the added opening forward into the gunnery deck, altered into a larger surgery. I believe that this will supply you with ample room for your craft and an easier egress from your cabin to the tables of operation. The bunks of the second and third mates shall remain. One for you and one for your assistant. Then we shall construct three more bunks along the length of the new space for patients. This will also put you closer to the gunnery deck so that the wounded need not be hauled through the narrow confines of the hall. I'm going to have the bulkhead beyond the new surgery reinforced and thickened to shield you and yours somewhat better from the noise and debris of the gunnery deck. This may also improve the amount of light to the surgery, as there is ample space above to add a skylight over the new room , to say nothing of the additional indirect light from the widened passage.

Of course, if you would prefer some other arrangement I can see what can be done, but I do believe this will afford you the most space we can allow without sacrificing too much of the rear gunnery deck.

What is your thinking on the matter?

Prime, sir...prime indeed. I am pleased that I could be of aid.

*Reaching for the medical log, she pauses as the Captain lingers at the thresh hold.*

Moving? But, William...Should not those quarters be left to those who would be appointed to them? I have no desire to be an inconvienece to those who are deserving. If it is your wish, than I shall accept the larger acomodations with gratitude, as long as there are no problems to arise at a later time from doing so...

As to the larger work space and its location...Better lighting and access to a greater quantity of air would be accomplished by that measure of construction. Now, I am no great expert on the doings of the Gunroom, but are you certain that this will not cause problems with its functioning? Please have patience with my questions, for it is healing that I know...not the acts of war and combat.

*Weak smile*

All of this shifting about is not going to cause issues with your personal quarters, I should hope. I understand that many of the standing walls are simply partitions and can be removed, but I have no wish to take away space from your Great Cabin or the Gunroom...I do prattle on. You do as you see fit and I will abide your choices. As I said, I am but a healer.

Finishing up the last of the hinges for the fort doors, Rummy stopped by to see them being attached and the doors lifted into place. Hearing the thud of the special lock Mr Hawks made, they were tested and are solidly back in useful condition.

"I'm glad you came to see this Rummy, now me and the men e're can rest for a spell. Took a while ta complete and we be hot and tired. Men, good work I says. Go take a plunge and swim yerselves clean. Me, I got me some business at the ship first. These shovels need ta be brought back ana these several throwin daggers and caltrops fer the ships armory. Had me a bit more tyme ta make a few. Well, I best be off afor I bathe meself and ave a good meal. Rummy, I will see you back at the ship to."

Jonathan leaves the cove with a cloth sack over his shoulder containing the daggers and caltrops. With the two shovels in his hands that were repaired, he makes his way to the ship.

Shoots anything that moves!!