Pyrates of the West Coast

After gettin little rest from a long night of makin the pick that Red requested, Jonathan Hawks wakes and splashes cold water on his face. Lookin about ta get his bearings, he slips into his clothes and walks out into the morning air. Takin the pick with, he yawns and starts makin his way to the galley for a bit of food. After all he has a long day ahead going to the cove to get measurements for the Iron hinges and straps for the doors of the fort. Part way to the galley he stubs his toe and then notices he forgot his boots and is barefoot.

Bloody Ell!!! I must o been tired. Not e'n thinkin this morn. Ow in the ell I forgot me boots is beyond me.

Turning about to retrace his steps back to his room, he sees Red and Mr Mister Lasseter conversing so he decides to walk over before hand to see whats up.

Good morning, Mister Lasseter, ana you to Red. I figure I best stop and see if'n thar be any news about or if'n ya require anything else afore I go to the cove for measuring them hinges and straps ya wants made. By the way, er'e be yer pick Red. I opes it be meeting yer expectations. Spent most o the night forgin in I says.

Shoots anything that moves!!

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mornin' Hawks, glad ye be joinin' us...

Ye be headin' ta th' cove wi' Master William, goode...

::clasps hands behind back::

All's workin' well... let's keep it tha' way....

::walks over to the hatch to the hold, peers down into the darkness noting that the hold is almost empty::

Hmmm.... Mad_Jack been workin' th' lads quickly...

:: looks over to the pier, noting all that was in the hold, stacked nicely ::

Goode, tho 'e needs ta cover i'tall wi' tarps...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Aye,

Very well, Jack.... when i'tall be stowed on th' pier, post a guard...

:: heads back to quarterdeck, pulls logbook from binnacle ::

We's movin' along smartly... Aye, we c'n warp'er o'er ta th' cove on the morn.. soon as we's sure th' cannons 'r laid proper there....

:: runs his eyes across the deck, up the masts and rigging ::

Soon......

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

Glad ya likes me work Red. Well, we best be goin ta the fort. But give me a few ta be getting me boots. Twas a long night, don't ask. I'll be back right quick.

Hawks leaves walking gingerly barefoot and with a sore toe. He retrieves his boots and gets back to William the Red with some paper, a quill and some measuring device.

Are ya ready Mate? It be a long day I says and the weather be grand for gettin things done. Mr Lasseter, ya ave a good day. Either Red or I will be reportin back later. If'n ya needs us ya know where we be. I want ta be gettin them there doors fixed right quick so it can start ta be locked up proper. Well, off we go.

Jonathan nods, turns and heads tword the cove with Red by his side.

(Jonathan and William make their way to the cove fort. There they find a half dozen sailors digging and setting embankments and doing the finishing work on the back ramparts. William shows Mister Hawks the Main entrance which lies at the end of an uphill rampart at a right angle to the wall makeing it impossible for an enemy to rush the gate head on and forcing them along the walls greatest length, thus rendering them vulnerable to attack from above. The gate is the span of three men standing side by side. The height is just sufficient for a cart horse, perhaps with a rider. Just inside the entrance the wall turns sharply left and on upward into the courtyard of the lower fort. Three earthen platforms rise up to a level just below the wall . These have the look of cannon ramparts. William points ouot the swing arms, fitted with old block and tackle stripped from the Watch Dog. These are to be used for hauling up powder and cannon. The tower that makes up part of the higher fort is large enough at its base to house both men and provisions.)

As you can see, Mister Hawks, we need some nails, rings, staves, stakes, hinges, door handles and other materials to brace the gates, the swing arms and the tower doors.

When that is done, and if you have a mind to, some of the water barrels need their hoops mending, but you can wait for that until long after the doors are set. Master Lasseter was very specific that the fort should be made secure first and foremost.

We've brought up some pig iron from the docks and we've begun a makeshift smithy with forge and furnace. Tha lads became a little over anxious, so I made them cease any more work on s complete shop until we had you come and look the spot over. We've picked a spot away from the powder store but near enough the wood and water. The wind which comes off of this side of the fort at night and in the morning sends the smoke along the beach into the trees so that a signal of fire doesn't rise to much for peering distant eyes.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpg

Good thinkin on keepin me away from the powder storage, Red. Er ya mite fynd a whole new place ta be buildin a fort. It does get mighty hot e'n up ta 30 paces from a forge. The location is fyne. And I assume ya aves some good men that ave learned the work around a forge. I got no tyme ta be learnin anyone what ta be doing from scratch. Now, it be lookin like I got me work cut out fer me. Does ya ave nough men ta get the doors up in place fer me ta get a proper measurement now? This place is a mess.

:: rises early, freshens up, dresses, heads topside ::

*breathes in thru nose, exhales thru mouth*

Ahhhhhhhh.... nuthin' like a goode sleep....

Lessee wot c'n be accomplished tadee...

::walks down to the waist, peers into the now empty hold::

Goode, Mad_Jack finished up...

::looks over to the pier where all the supplies, et all are stacked, tarped and a guard is standing watch::

'e follows orders well.... I'll make a note o' tha'...

:: slowly the rest of the crew make their presence known, the cook fires are lit, the smell of fresh coffee and food wafts through the air ::

Mmmm.... mornin' meal...

:: heads to the galley, profers a plate of food and hot drink, heads to the quarterdeck, stands at the taffrail and eats ::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

This place is a mess.

(William looks about and apears at a loss for words.)

I suppose it is, sir, but no more than any fortress under construction, yet...

(William continues to look around at an almost empty courtyard and the near completion of all the walls, earthen works and gate housing, then turns back smiling.)

Actually, Mister Hawks, with the exception of the few pilings of lumber and stone for the smithy I'm not sure that I can agree. Is it the abscence of a finished forge that causes you to think so?

*Coming up from the lower deck, her Steward in tow carrying a satchel containing her rapiers and main gauches. Sipping from the ever present cup of morning ritual, she notices the Quartermaster standing at the Taff and calls out...*

Good Morn to you, Dor...ahem... Mister Lasseter! A wonderful idea to take one's break of fast in the open morning air. Prime idea!

*Glances to where the fortification is in construct then looks back*

Ahhh...I do believe that Mister Wake is coming along in a splendid manner with his progress at hand. I thought that I would take advantage of the weather this morning has presented to tour yon beachhead for a closer look. There is an area just beyond and out of the way that I recall as a good place in which Armand and myself might ensure that we are still in tune with our Croise', Prise de Fer and Froissement...* A nod indicating the satchel*

One can never become to comfortable with their skills...*A hint of feral smile*

*Catching movement from the corner of her eye, she turns to see Mad Jack crossing the main deck towards the bow and calls to him.*

Good morning to you, sir! You seem to be recovering nicely from your tumble, I see. Do come visit me later this day so that I may check your sutures. I may be able to remove them depending upon their progress, in a few days...

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

This place is a mess.

(William looks about and apears at a loss for words.)

I suppose it is, sir, but no more than any fortress under construction, yet...

(William continues to look around at an almost empty courtyard and the near completion of all the walls, earthen works and gate housing, then turns back smiling.)

Actually, Mister Hawks, with the exception of the few pilings of lumber and stone for the smithy I'm not sure that I can agree. Is it the abscence of a finished forge that causes you to think so?

Not really Red... Mayhap it just looks that way ta me, seein the way things be leanin and all. Mayhaps I ave ta look closer.

Jonathan strolls around the area getting a closer look at things. They still seem a bit mangled lookin, but in time will look grand and be well fortified.

Well, William, I seen worse in places and gettin a closer look made it not as bad as I first seen. It will be lookin grand in no tyme I says. Now, I needs me a few men to hoist them doors up so's I can get me measurements fer the hinges and straps. nails I ave a few barrels of, so some of them carpenter types cana get workin on things. Ana again, the rings I ave to. Just give the word to them and they can go back and bring em e're. Ow long ya think afor the forge be ready? I ave some iron needin haulin e're to.

Ow long ya think afor the forge be ready? I ave some iron needin haulin e're to.

The forge is to be completed to your specifications, sir, and so I leave it in your capable hands. I shall leave the lads in your charge for just such a purpose and return to the ship, taking just two or three of them to haul out the required iron and tools.

(William hand picks two workers and one of the horse drawn carts and returns to the Watch Dog.)

Ow long ya think afor the forge be ready? I ave some iron needin haulin e're to.

The forge is to be completed to your specifications, sir, and so I leave it in your capable hands. I shall leave the lads in your charge for just such a purpose and return to the ship, taking just two or three of them to haul out the required iron and tools.

(William hand picks two workers and one of the horse drawn carts and returns to the Watch Dog.)

Ok Red, ya be takin care. I be seein ya back at the ship later. These men will do fyne.

Jonathan begins telling the men what he needs done. They get the doors in place and he begins the task of measuring the area for new hinges and straps.

*Crossing to the 'wale, she scans the quay and notices a horse cart's approach. A smile of recognition crosses her features as she sees William and the accompanying hands. She offers a wave of acknowledgment before turning to Armand who waits near. Lowering her voice...*

Where is my thinking today...Do be a dear and retrieve a basket from my quarters. The morning air has played my thoughts and I have cruelly forgotten our break of fast....

*Her brow furrows slightly*

Yes, a basket to accompany us, and we will pause in the market to obtain wittles before we continue with our morning plans. My apologies, Armand...

*A smallish curl of amusement tugs the corners of his mouth as he nods...*

Bien sur, avec plasir...

*She shakes her head then refocuses on the cart drawing nearer...*

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

(As William approaches the Watch Dog his baritone voice carries over the docks.)

Seven long years I courted Sally,

Aye, aye, roll and go!

She called me 'boy and Dilly Dally,'

Spend my money on Sally Brown.

Seven long years and she wouldn't marry,

Aye, aye, roll and go!

And I no longer cared to tarry,

So I courted Sal, her only daughter,

Aye, aye, roll and go!

For her I sail upon the water,

Sally's teeth are white and pearly,

Aye, aye, roll...

(William takes notice of Tempest at the rail and stands a moment in the cart to tip his hat. )

Thank goodness for sea legs.

*Her brow pinches in a brief in response to William's standing. Unconsciously, her eyes scan the possible hazards of a fall from the cart's passage, a hundred scenarios race through the corridors of her mind until he sits once again and she hails...*

Bon Jou....Good Morn to you! A lovely voice you have, sir! A wonderful accompniment to a grand day! Very pleasing indeed!

(William stands briefly again.)

Bonjour, bon docteur! Merci...de votre éloge.

(The cart pulls up to the Watch Dog and two sailors spill out from the cart.)

Gentleman, the morning is yours. Take the time to make yourselves known to the cook at the Kate and see that you are on good terms with a bathing tub before returning to your duties.

(William walks up the gangplank still whistling the previous tune.)

*She smiles at his comment*

Magnifique, Monsuier Wake!...Though there is no need to thank me for praising your vocal talents, instead we should thank you for sharing it. Praise is only given to which is deserving of its mantle.

*Notices her Steward's return, basket in hand*

Tres vien, Armand. Merci beaucoupe!

*Looks back to William as he gains the Main*

We thought we would take a closer look at your work on the beachhead. I have yet to view its progress from any closer than here and I assure you that we shall stay well out of the way. Then on to a dance of vorpal blades. Lovely day this, quite prime.

My lady doctor, you have a tongue as sharp and silvery as any of your instruments. Aye.

(shakes a finger)

A siren surgeon of the first order is our own Tempest. Passing out compliments and ointments...prescribing heavy flattery on humble sailors.

(William's smile spreads into something both boyish and devilish)

Why, any sailor worth his salt can sing a song as well as I have just done.

*Armand looks the other way in attempt to hide his amusement at the comment. She centers her attention on the wag of finger*

Why William...And who plays the card of flattery now, pray tell?

*A hint of predatory smile vanquished by a blink of innocence*

I am but proclaiming truths. Its manner of delivery shall be the fault of my Mother's Irish whimsy and my Father's French eloquance. Parentage, I tell you...

*Fleet of smile*

I am absolved of my crimes by proxy...

:: standing at the taffrail, trying not to but can't help listening in on the banter betwixt the Surgeon and the Master at Arms ::

**clamps jaw, covers mouth with hand**

"snicker.... snort.... Snicker..."

*in a low tone*

My iffn this keeps up, this'll be quite a journey....

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

There can be no blame whatsoever as touching your parentage, seeing what care they put into making the rest of you...

(William's smile only widens the more.)

If you'll excuse me, doctor.

Master Lasseter.

(tips hat)

I have left the fort in the capable hands of the ship's blacksmith and he has set about in the completion of all the iron fittings for our little fortress home. He is there also to finish the forge and the gate housing.

*Raises brows a slight to William's comment as Armand moves further away to stifle his laughter, glancing towards the Taff to see the Quartermaster's amusement a reflection of his own*

Well, William...I...I am sure they would take that as a compliment...ahem.

*A cast of pink touches her cheeks*

Very good then, do enjoy your day.... And Mr. Wake? My compliments to your Sire and Dame, as well.

*Catches her Steward from the corner of eye and glances to the Taff and notices Dorian's expression. With a minute cock of head...*

Something of amusement?