Pyrates of the West Coast

::The bidding lasted much longer for the pistol, after twelve bids, it went... again coin and item changed hands... Again Mr. Lasseter selected the next item, a smaller pistol, a bit fancier than the last one... Again he checked it over, deemed it fit and safe...::

Right... here be another fine pistol... I would think a higher bid need ta be made on this 'ere piece.... Look... some silver inlay... If ye thought tha' other pistol were in fine shape, this'n outshines it... who's ta start off the biddin'?

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye Cap'n..... yer not usin' th' coin I gave ye fer th' other items are ye?

::the crew laughed at the joke made...::

Anyone gonna outbid th' Cap'n?

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

Arr, that's the one!

(Ciaran takes a step forward and raises his hand, with a strong openin' bid)

I wonder if one of the most important steps on our journey is the one in which we throw away the map.

-- Loreena McKennitt

My fathers knew of wind and tide, and my blood is maritime.

-- Stan Rogers

I don't pretend to be captain weird.

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

William raised a brow, stifled a grin and put in a following bid of no small significance. He watched a wry smile on Mister Ciaran's face and a grinning McGinty.

(glancing quickly at the Captain, Ciaran raised the bid 3 crowns higher than William's)

I wonder if one of the most important steps on our journey is the one in which we throw away the map.

-- Loreena McKennitt

-- Stan Rogers

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

William had not thought to bid much, having enough in the way of arms to sink a man if he fell overboard, but with the enthusiasm shown by Ciaran, others sailors entered the bidding. Louis Morrell shot up an arm and he was followed after by Pascal, who had once seen the pistol's workings while Diego was in the midst of cleaning it. It was a fine piece. Mister Lasseter had not exaggerated it's splendor. Rather, he had understated it.

William let the volley fly between the crew awhile.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpg

(with John eggin' him on, Ciaran, more bothered than nervous by all of this flurry of bidding, simply waved his hand to the Quartermaster again, and raised the big by 10 crowns)

-- Loreena McKennitt

-- Stan Rogers

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

As the bidding continued, Mister Hawks came forward with Claude Marchande. Both of them hefted the pistol a moment before returning it to the Quartermaster's hands. Mister Hawks and Marchande discussed it a moment before adding a bid that was not significantly higher. Still, it proved too much for Pascal, who dropped out immediately from the flurry of offers.

Morrel looked determined, but worried. William thought he might bid once more and once more only, but he waited to see what Ciaran would do and how far Marchande might take the bidding.

(Ciaran fidgeted and gave a look of determination to Mr. McGuinty)

-- Loreena McKennitt

-- Stan Rogers

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

Thirty two crowns! Thankee Mr. Hawks, Mr. Marchande...

Do I hear thirty three? Lads? Cap'n?

::Mr. Lasseter showed it around the gathered crewmembers all the while asking for a higher bid...::

Look at th' fine piece! Thirty two crowns is a paltry sum! Who will bid higher?

::He noticed the look on Mr. Ciaran's face, he looked about to burst...::

Ciaran? Have you another bid?

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

(The bidding on Diego's marvelous Spanish pistol had now reached the value of a new Ripoll weapon, which placed the pistol well out of range now of most crew members. Determined to have it, Ciaran decided to go for broke. He motioned again to the Quartermast and raised the bid to 50 crowns above any imaginable offer.)

-- Loreena McKennitt

-- Stan Rogers

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

Claude Marchande put up his hands at once, already cautious about spending any money on what he perceived as too fine a weapon. Mister Hawks was already pointing to the blunderbuss and both men were conversing on its merits. Morrell looked disappointed, but he acquiesced with a smile and a shrug, giving over to Ciaran's desire to own the rare pistol. William stood a moment with a smile playing on his lips, but in the end he removed his hat in a short salute of surrender to Mister Ciaran.

Eighty two?!?!? Eighty two crowns bid by Mr. Ciaran! Any other bids? No? Once... twice.... and sold!!!

::The QuarterMaster walked to Mr. Ciaran and handed him the pistol as Ciaran handed a full pouch of coins to him...::

I wish you much joy with this fine pistol...

::He smiled at Mr. Ciaran who had eyes only for the weapon at the moment... Walking back to the barrel he then picked up the last pistol, checked it as he did the others... ::

Right.... one more pistol... startin' bid is eighty crowns!

::There was stunned silence as the statement of the opening bid to which Mr. Lasseter grinned and laughed...::

*chuckle* My apologies lads... Openin' bid'll be one crown.... Have we a bid fer one crown on this fine pistol? Yes? One crown bid by Woodington...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Pascal, Smyth and Fitch went rounds on the next pistol, with only one bid coming from Morrell. The bidding was fast and in short increments. Morrell's bid came late and it was instantly overtaken by Fitch, who had preferred the look of the third pistol precisely because it was plain and very sturdy. He had always viewed inlaid pistols as a vanity of too many precious parts. He couldn't have been more wrong about the Spanish pistol now lovingly handled by the Watch Dog's lead lookout.

Still, the bidding went on.

(John McGuinty ran up excitedly and placed his arm around Ciaran's shoulder)

Ye won it, mate! Ye won it!

I did indeed, (the lookout said, holding the pistol as one would hold a treasure. He rolled it around slowly examining the detail and craftsmanship. He then handed it carefully to John)

So, what think ye? A good investment, 'eh?

(Young Mister McGuinty seemed taken aback that Ciaran would let him hold such a special weapon.)

Aye, (he said, almost whispering). Diego would be happy that he have it, Sir. (He handed the gun back to Ciaran, who nodded and smiled.)

-- Loreena McKennitt

-- Stan Rogers

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

And now, John, I think it's time I have a word with the Captain with regards to a new lookout. Wish us luck, lad!

(McGinty's eyes widened with excitement as Ciaran winked and walked over to where the Captain stood.)

Captain, (Ciaran said) a moment of yer time, Sir, unless ye care to be bidding on more of the weaponry. (Ciaran couldn't resist letting out a small grin, knowing how William had forced the bid up on the Spanish pistol the lookout now held).

-- Loreena McKennitt

-- Stan Rogers

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

"I've enough pistols, and only that one alone would have tempted me to add to my collection."

He gestured to a spot away from the auction at the stern of the quarterdeck. As they made their way there they heard a laugh from several crew members about an unheard joke made by Morrell.

"Have you some business of importance, Mister Ciaran?"

"Have you some business of importance, Mister Ciaran?"

Aye, Sir, I do. Captain, as ye well know with the loss of the Monsignor, the Watch Dog is now down a lookout. I have been making sure that Diego's shift, which was always jes before me own, was covered. But, Sir, I be completely exhausted tryin' the keep up that pace.

Cap'n, the young lad standing yonder, (Ciaran points toward John, who is politely tryin' to watch the auction, not the conversation betwen Captain and lookout), John McGuinty, Sir, he has shown a genuine interest in becomin' a lookout. We have spoken and, Sir, I think that he might jes make a fine addition up in the nest. He's eager to learn, energetic, has good vision, and from what I've observed is dependable. I'd be willing to work with him, Captain and train him meself.

(Ciaran turns to look directly at William) What say ye, Captain?

-- Loreena McKennitt

-- Stan Rogers

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

William looked at McGinty with an analytical eye. It was true, McGinty was a good man and had shown quick thinking in regards to the Monsignor ashore. He was a tall lad and possessed of strength. It was obvious to William that McGinty was mindful of this conversation. He was trying almost too hard not to look this way, but his eyes belied that his attention was peripheral. William nodded.

"I will speak with Mister Lasseter presently on the matter. Thank you for bringing the lad to my attention, Mister Ciaran."

Thank ye fer considerin' him, Sir.

(Ciaran nodded respectfully to the Captain, then returned to stand beside McGuinty as the auction continued)

(Before John could ask, Ciaran told him that the Captain would think on the matter and consult with the Quartermaster about it. That was all that he could report fer now, which seemed enough information to please the lad.)

-- Loreena McKennitt

-- Stan Rogers

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

:: the last of the pistols sold only left the blunderbuss and the small knives... The QuarterMaster picked up the blunderbuss, did his onceover and held it aloft....::

Here be a grande deck clearin' piece! Very stout stock, bronze barrel, brass 'ardware... Navy made it looks ta be... Start th' bid out at seven crowns?

:: Morrel's hand shot up at once...::

AH, thankee Morrel... do I 'ear eight? come lads... yes I 'ave eight from Mr. Johnson...

::Morrel countered with ten, to which "Cutthroat Johnson countered with twelve... Morrel barred his teeth and took it to fifteen... Marchande burst out with a bid of twenty, to which Johnson bid twenty two...::

Aye lads! twenty two! Tha' all? fer this fine beast?

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

With the commencment of bidding mayhem, Tempest and Armand stepped to a less harried area of deck. Taking a spot closer to midship, the two leaned forward to forearm support upon rail and spoke quietly in native tongue to cloud any chance of unsuspecting evesdrop. Now and again, the Gascon would glance sidelong to whatever new object proffered in the near distance to mob's desire, but such events were of mild curiosity.

Things were about to take an abrupt turn and their conversation played them in the guises of advisor and advisee, often traded back and forth. There was a spark that lay within Armand's eyes foretelling anticipation to Destiny's whim, though it was not to be disregarded that a regret lay there as well. There were subjects that niether wish to breech, but the existance of unsaids were blatant persistant want of acknowledgment.

In the harbour's protection, Fate's vehicle lay in wait with ever patience...

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

::Standing with arms crossed nearest Mr. Lasseter, I felt much at home during the auction. Remembering back to the days of the selling off of pigs and cattle upon the farms of the Chesapeake. Many of our family friends lost their lives in skirmishes with both the native people and the tobacco wars. The Smiths, Old Man Taylor, Robert . .

BOOM!!!

Suddenly jolted back to the ship, I see Mr. Lasseter pointing the blunderbuss to the sky and Cutthroat and Marchande up their bidding . . .::

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

Do I 'ear thirty? Yes? No? Ah, thankee Mr. Johnson... ANy more bids? Hmmm?

Merchande? Yer gonna let 'im off with it fer thirty? *chuckle* Thirty five from Mr. Merchande!

::Cutthroat gives the frenchman a smouldering, seething look... He taps his pocket then nods...::

"For'y-Five!!!"

There we be! Forty-five from Mr. Johnson!!! Do we 'ave a higher bid?

::Merchande gave a crooked smile to Cutthroat, closed his eyes and bowed shallow... he held up his hands in surrender...::

Forty-five... once... twice... Sold!

::The coins were exchanged for the blunderbuss amid the jolly banter of the crew... the last remaining items were three small knives of which the QuarterMaster picked them all up together...::

Lastly we 'ave these three knives... matched set, looks ta be...

Bids Lads? wot be yer bids on these wee beauties?

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif