Pyrates of the West Coast

She took comfort in the gentle stregnth of her partner and for a rare moment, relaxed fully. There was a time and place where gatherings of this nature were common place to her daily life and though it seemed a lifetime away; the Surgeon slipped easily into old habits. With the slight pressure to lower back, she heeded the indication of his lead and stepping lightly, followed his direction. relishing this moment of suspended time, Tempest smiled warmly to her partner and contemplated this newest facet he was giving view of.

William Brand had once again impressed her and it seemed but one more example in a string of many the depth of his being. She had concluded long ago that he was far from the catagory of common brigand, carriage and prowess of verbal qualities had ruled that out. Inwardly, she was amused to the fact that whether William Brand was of high blood in origin or not, his overall manner proved more genteel than many she had known in the past with claim to station. Perhaps he was as she herself was, a castaway of noble lineage. Perhaps one day she would know for certain.

Scanning the proximity as they rounded the backside of the room, she briefly glimpsed Armand and the expression of total contentment that lay over his expression. Chuckling underbreath, she knew that he was in his element within the current surround. She knew her brother well, and although he had never uttered a word of complaint with the hasty departure of Native France and the delights that he was used to; she also knew that soiree's such as this, were the things that he missed the most.

The music soared, wrapping itself around those that came to its call and giving loving dictation of control to its minnions. Rounding the floor and coming closer to the area in which they had entered the throng, her attention was drawn to the man in conversation with Dorian. For a split of second her eyes met with his and she hastened to cover any outward indication of what such a thing would induce...

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The crew of the Watch Dog stood about waiting for some order to come from Mister Youngblood. Since gaining the weatherdeck he had done nothing more than remove his pipe from an inside pocket and tuck it between his teeth. He did not pack or light the clay pipe, but stood over the Monsignor's remains in a profound silence, his brow furrowing and unfurrowing.

"Please see the unfortunate lad to 'is room, Mister Pew." He removed the pipe and stared out to the lights of the port. "See that 'e is cleaned up and properly prepared for a service..." He didn't finish what he had meant to say, though he had thought to himself '...a service more worthy of you than a night burial in some unmarked tract of dirt'.

Mister Pew called for volunteers and so many hands came forward that he was forced to pick and choose from among them. Mister Youngblood went to the rail and filled his pipe from a modest supply of tobacco. He stood a long while puffing and pondering what he should do next. He considered sending word to the Captain ashore, but it would make no great difference to the Monsignor. Instead, he brooded over the many targets ashore.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpg

::Aknowledging Capitaine Fournier's request, and the need to make haste, the QuarterMaster put a kind smile on his face as he weaved through the minagerie of dancers til he came to William and Tempest. He lighted a hand on each of their shoulders...::

I do beg pardon o' th' two o' ye...

::the Captain gave a slightly irritated look at his QuarterMaster, as he had not made any sign that he was in need of relief...

Seeing the look, Dorian smiled further...::

Cap'n, tis not m'choice ta break inta yer dance... we been summoned ta th' Don's private rooms... Capitaine Fournier is waitin' on us... I shall gather th' rest o' r' party.... My apologies fer th' interruption...

::With a slight bow he stepped back looked about and sighted the two Stewards circling towards his position, he stepped lively around the other dancers til he stood in the way of forward progress of his quary. Armand saw him there, standing with a grin, so he slowed the dance and stopped as they came up to Dorian... ::

Hallooo ye two peacocks... My apologies, but we been sumoned by th' Don... 'E waits fer us presently... Capitaine Fournier come ta retrieve us...

::He spread his arm out pointing with open hand to where Fournier stood and the Captian and Surgeon now approached...::

Now I need ta find Mr. St. Anthony an' Mr. Badger...

::Again, he bowed shallowly and stepped away, looking through the crowed room to find the two erstwhile companions... he finally sighted them in a corner, Jack with a bottle in hand, as well as Badger, they were entertaining two young women who laughed and hid their faces behind fans as it appeared the two officer told yarns of their time at sea....

Stepping over and laying a hand on each of the gentlemen's shoulders...::

Goode evenin' Lads... M'Ladies... I beg yer forgivenes, but I must take these fine men from you... we 'ave business to attend... it is a poor excuse, yet must be done... Come Gents...

:;reluctantly the two made their apologies as well and grudgingly followed the QuarterMaster over to the rest of their party...::

Right, we're all 'ere... Captain...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Once they were all assembled, William turned to Captain Fournier and they went in their small procession to the waiting Don. William relinquished Tempest's hand to Mister Lasseter as they went, thanking her for the privilege of a dance. There was some preening as they went and the small band's passage did not escape the notice of the room.

Jean-Micheal waited with uncorruptable patience as Le Chien de Garde's children were gathered. As the parade of mer emigrant moved forward to the guidance of French sheppard, they were heeled from behind by Lamaire. Keeping steadfast course through the sea of pompas foul, they crossed under the archway from which Fournier had reapeared.

The next chamber, not crowded to capacity as the one just deserted, gave better view of elegant appointments and the rich adornments of Castillian favor. The far end gave rise by alabaster footing in number of four, leading to the vast width and lofty hiegth of double doors reaching perilously to domed ceiling above. To either side stood men in variation of dress seen upon house servents, their expressions giving forth an air of serious content to be echoed by the muskets planted to their sides. With the party's nearing proximity, in timed sychronicity, two steps were taken inward; the curve of doorhandle grasped; inner mechanisims slid back and the doors were swung outward for admittance.

Revealed on the other side was a long passageway of dark crimson pannels cross sectioned by beams of darkened wood. The lighting offered lay in intermittant spacing suspened by heavy chain from the unseen ceiling and numering six. Six chandeliers of cylindrical form wrought in ornate iron and wood, their circumfrance measuring five and ten feet and each bedecked with a crown of parafin lumination; dimmly giving aid to navigate the hall's expanse. Thick wool carpeting which echoed wall's hue, muffled the strike of footstep and lead on to a doorway barely envisioned at far end.

Passing the mid point, they were given glimpes of two men of sentry guise standing as living statues in shadowed alcoves. Continueing on, a small break of light could be seen just ahead giving indication of next portal and it was here that Jean-Micheale stopped. Turning around, the amber sights looked over his charges as if in silent inspection. Fixing his focus upon William, he offered an expression of reassurance then turned to finish the journey.

Leaving the dull circle of light offered by the last wheel of illumination, they came at last to destination and as with doorway of the past, were met by sentry who stepped to accomodate enterance.

The large doors swung open, muted light spilled forth to the rouge below and the children went forward to the lair where next turn of destiny lay in wait. Atropos leaned forward for better view...then shears of otherworldly existance, hovered closely the being of ethereal thread.....

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

The Don welcomed Fournier with a practiced formality. Then he turned his genteel smile upon William and his crew.

"May I present some of the fine officers of the Watch Dog." William asked, and with a nod from the Don he introduced each of them, beginning with Mister Lasseter. The Don graciously excepted the introduction of each as they were named. His expression changed little beyond the painted smiles and courtly exchanges. When all were introduced a servant passed before each of them with a laden tray filled with tapered, wine filled glass. Each was offered a drink in turn and then all were offered a seat.

William took a seat near the Don, as did Fournier. William gave Fournier a rueful smile. The Don sipped his glass. The Earth rolled forward in the silence before they began.

As all came to rest at proffered seating, the Castillian casually glanced over those in company. By old world standards, women were not generally accepted into meetings of buisness nature, but Jean-Micheale had spoken earlier in great detail, that this formality need be overlooked for this situation. Not being a man of over pompas bearing, Don Vasquez had given heed to old friend's advice and looked upon the two woman present as equals to the men in their company. Though unable to provide information in regard to the young mademoiselle, Fournier had been quick to hint at aristocratic blood involving the other. This placed things in other light and as Vasquez took in the current company, he was not lost to the fact that there was a certain quality to be noted within the carriage and manner of the Surgeon.

Turning to William, the Castillian once again offered genteel smile from the planes of raptoresque features.

"Capitaine Hollande, it is good to be in your company again and I do hope that you, as well as your officers, have enjoyed the night's offering. Capitaine Fournier has been so good as to inform me of the trials that you have endured and it pleases me that he was able to provide for you safe haven in your time of need..."

Though there was no denial to the accent that wove its way through the Don's speech, it was in no way impeading to the clarity in which he spoke. He let comment rest momentarily to sip from slender vessel.

" You and your company have done myself and my family a great service that can not go unnoticed, nor shall it go unrewarded..." The dark eyes looked briefly to all in way of inclusion. " As was agreed to, the needs of your vessel, by way of repairs and stores, shall be attended to directly. It will, however, be neccessary for your vessel to be moored at the same quay where Capitaine Fournier's is now. It is under my possession and will serve your needs as is fit."

He paused to assure that he was being understood thus far and William nodded his accord.

"As to other matters of agreement.." The Castillian made a motion with right hand which brought his brother into proximity. An elongated box of polished wood surface that Fernando Vasquez bore, was placed on the table betwixt the two men. Subtle expressions of curiosity played Anglo company, but not a word was said. Laying open the delicate brass latch, the lid was lifted and documents revealed.

"Herein, you shall find two documents...One which is a sealed letter of marque decreed under the Crown of Mother Spain..."

The Castillian paused once again, and fixing his attention solely on William, he seemed to gage the other silently before continuing.

" I suggest that you use its power wisely, Capitaine Hollande." Pointing to another document, he continued. " This deed entitles you to land holdings on La Blaquilla. Your charts should indicate coordinates of Eleven degrees Eight minutes North, Sixty-Four degrees Fifty-Nine minutes West. The fine points, in regard to said holdings, are laid out in detail within the deed. Although I shall go so far as to mention that there exist a domocile of modest means, livestock and servents to manage all on the property. Do you have any questions or concerns, Capitaine Holland?"

Near the far end of table, at which they were all seated, Dominique-Gaston Lamaire looked away in effort to hide his amusement to the Don's descript of "modest means"...

"Of concerns I have many, and should have them all the days of my life I should think." William said smiling. "But I thank you, Don Vasquez. The favor to you and your family that you have often thanked me for already, pales in comparison to this reward. The additional safe haven for me and my crew will serve us well in the coming years, and for that I thank you."

Don Vasquez brushed this aside with another of his understated remarks on the modesty of the land and its holdings. Mister Lasseter now joined Lamaire in a disguised smile, and William thought the others might be as well, but he did not look at them to confirm this.

"I do have a few questions as a matter of course. First, will you make available any charts that you might have on La Blanquilla? I should like to confirm every aspect of the islands contour. Especially her reefs, coves and barriers. While the island appears on many of my charts, the information contained on them is scant where La Blanquilla and its neighboring islands are concerned. The island appears as little more than a triangle on many of my charts. It would be an additional and great favor to me if you would equip me with such understanding. I feel that all other questions might be settled by the simple act of exploring my new home once I am familiar with those that involve my ship and her anchorage."

"But of course, Capitaine Hollande. I will see that you receive this necessary information before you depart La Margarita."

A servant passed among them refreshing those glasses almost sipped dry of their contents. Mister Lasseter, ever the Quartermaster, asked if he might be allowed a few questions of the Don.

"Proceed." The Don said with an agreeable wave of his hand.

And proceed he did. William enjoyed the specific and detailed inquiries that he made. Some of these questions he had thought to ask, but was glad of those that he had not thought of until now. Mister Lasseter discussed at length the question of fresh water, timber, building materials, defensible positions and all other resources important to a place both remote and central to the happenings of the Caribbean. The Don satisfied them with an excellent return to each question, and he seemed to enjoy the opportunity to demonstrate his knowledge on each subject. When the Quartermaster was finished they had learned much of La Blanquilla.

The island was some sixty or seventy square miles in size and enjoyed a relatively consistent height of nearly 50 feet above the sea. It was little more than a great plateau of limestone on the ocean covered in a variety of scrub and low plant growth. It was somewhat disappointing to learn of the great absence of many trees. William had hoped, as did Mister Lasseter, that their would be many groves of lumber for use ashore and aboard the Watch Dog. Still, the limestone itself might be of great use in the construction of housing and fortifications. The second disappointment was not surprising, but it was significantly more important. The island contained only one source of fresh water, but this water was unfit for the use of men. The Don reassured them throughout the discussion, especially on this point, that provisions could be had from other islands, and whatever La Blanquilla might lack, it made up for in beauty and abundance in many other ways. "One may fish with great reward around the island. And the variety of fish!" he said with a smile. "One might never eat the same fish twice in season."

William nodded, his mind wandering onto the issue of water, though this was not a great concern to him. Having lived in the Mediterranean and the deserts of the Near East, he understood the employment of cisterns and water caches. They would have no great trouble in a given season procuring the water necessary for long voyages.

"The island has cactus which is often brewed into a strong drink." The Don continued. "While it is not wine, it satisfies the courser palette of some sailors."

Lamaire and Mister Lasseter were both smiling again. "Present company excluded of course." The Don added.

"Of course." William returned, sipping the Castilian's most excellent wine.

With buisness affaires delt with, conversation turned to lighter subjects. The lord of the manor proved quite the conversationalist and made point to include all present. The wine continued to flow, and the passage of two hours quickly made way into the past. The mood of the room had turned quite jovial when a valet entered the midst and leaned to the Don's ear. The raptoresque features gained an expression of subdued resignation as the valet departed.

Finishing the contents of latest wine imbibement, the Castillian stood and looked to each of his guests in turn before speaking.

"It seems the mantle of duty calls, or I should confess...the want of my charming wife and daughter. My presence has been requested and I shall have to grant said request. Please, do not feel the need to depart for you are welcome to stay within these chambers or return to the main hall. If it is your inclination to stay for the duration of the evening instead of returning to your vessel, accommodations shall be readily made for your comfort."

Turning to William, the Castillian spoke quietly...

"Capitaine Hollande, it is beyond expression by way of word or material means the weight of service you have done for my family. You are welcome within these walls at anytime and if there is ever a momment to which you are in need, I shall do all that I can to give you aid..."

The Castillian paused in thought for a moment, then glancing to Fournier for briefly, he refocused on William.

"You find yourself in good company, Capitaine Hollande and I look upon you highly as a man of honor and respectable bearing in the same as I do Capitaine Fournier. You have both placed yourselves within the gratitude of my family in ways that never truly be repaid. It is my advice to you, that whatever bond you have managed with Jean-Micheale should be nurtured and well tended. He has proven to be one of the greatest men I have ever known and has managed to make this old dog see many things in new light. Between the two of you, the ill workings of the past have now come full circle and there will be peace within these walls again."

Proffering right hand, Don Vasquez took the other's firmly in grasp and with a smallish bow, departed the mixed gathering.

Jean-Micheale looked up from where he was seated to focus on William. The expression that played over aquiline features were that of satisfaction and a smile came forth to echo in punctuation. Leaning forward to table's support, he steepled fingers and with a slight raise of brow, spoke to the other's hearing.

"Falicitations, mon ami. I do believe that you have done very well for you and yours and there is only one prize of greatened value, that was not offered in reward. That prize would have given you title and possible control of this noble house in the future....And I will tell you in honesty, that it gives me relief of imeasurable means, that the pearl in question was not offered."

The smile broadened slightly with statement made.

"So...What is your pleasure? I am at your disposal and have access to all that this grand estate has to offer, simply say the words and it shall be done."

The man from Marseilles stood and as if in after thought, closed the short distance between he and the flame crowned man.

" There is only one request that I make this eve..."

William inclined his head in acknowledgement.

" Before the time comes for us to once again part ways, I feel compelled to impart on to you information that is in your better interest. Perhaps a walk in the gardens would suit such need..."

"Mr. Franklin, Mr. Straw, you, young McGinty, and Mr. Thomas, please 'elp us take the Monsignor to the sick bay."

::With a swift count of three all of us carried the Monsignor down the steps to go below. Armand and our fair Surgeon had gone ashore, so it was left to a couple of colony farmhands to do the proper dressing. Diego Santana de la Vega was placed very gently upon a cot in the sick bay.

As the shroud was taken off, it became apparent that the loss of the Monsignor was due to the great amount of bloodletting that had occurred around his neck. One simple entry wound had seemed to catch the Monsignor right where the blood was draw to his head.

McGinty fetched a pail with some water in it to clean the Monsignor as best we could. Most of the blood had dried upon his chest and face. so a small bit of heavy scrubbinghad to be done to clean him up.

Gently wiped down, we began to prepare the Monsignor for his burial at sea. Mr. Thomas had gone topside to find the ship's sailmaker as to retrieve some extra canvas we had for the spare sails.

Mr. Straw and I went to the Monsignor's quarters to see if he had a fine cloak or robe we could dress him in for his own service.

"Didn't think ye be needin' it fer yer own service Padre'," Mr. Straw said quietly.

We retrieved his robe and a fine gold cross he had used for services upon the Watch Dog. A tattered bible was found near his chest under his papers as well.

As we returned, Mr. Franklin had finished with the Monsignor, and was preparing the canvas from Mr. Thomas to be stitched up. Pete brought in the robe and I carried the cross and bible. Diego was laid to rest in his favorite robe, ironically the one he wore when he blessed the Dutch crewman back to the sea several weeks ago. I placed the cross in his right hand and the bible in his left, and tried to cross his hands upon his waist so as to make as small a bundle as possible for a man of his size.

I held his arms together at his shoulders as Eric held his feet and McGinty and Mr. Thomas slid the shorud under him . We gently laid him back upon the table and began to stich the edges of the canvas together.::

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

After the man retrived the canves from her, she watched as the men went in an out of sick bay like ants from a mound. Shen then walk over to Mr. Pew she wanted to see if there was anything else she could do, but no sound was able to pass her lips. so she just stared at Mr. Pew till he'd look her way.

Kendra2.jpg

"Courage is the decision to fly straight into the flame while knowing the consequences"~ The Adventures Of A Notorious Youth Capt. Hook

By: J. V. Hart

"A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving."~Lao Tzu 490-570 BC

---------

Yes, I am leaving the pub. I don't know when or if I will come back to this port. I will check in from time to time. Until then:

*raising goblet of good cheer*

" To high adventure, and wild romance....long may they endure!"

For I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content

Philippians 4:11

Twitter:

TwittKnitter

Facebook:

shanamartin1

First Watch (8:00 PM - 12:00 AM) - Ashore in the private quarters of Don Vasquez

There was much for them to talk about, and there was much to learn, but William chose the opportunity to speak to this handful of the Watch Dog's officers on the subject of his disappearance. He asked Fournier and Lamaire to remain. William requested privacy of all others present and the servants left them to themselves, careful to leave food and refreshment behind.

"These past few weeks have been pocked with events both terrible and fortuitous. We have crossed the paths of many nations. We have suffered and prospered. But my abduction is not understood by all of those present."

William paused to gather his thoughts. There were many details that might be discussed, but he chose those which were least convoluted.

"When we set out under the standard of the newly repaired and newly named Watch Dog, we took on crew members from various backgrounds. And as is the custom, spoken or unspoken, we asked no man or woman his or her business beyond the skills we required of them for sailing and maintaining the Watch Dog. While this allows some to renew their lives, leaving behind their sorted and unsavory pasts, it sometimes endangers the rest. The chance of it is a matter of course, and each of us has seen it in our day."

William eyes passed over several of his officers. He knew that some of them would understand this more than others. He made no particular point to draw attention to any of them by regarding them overlong or by looking at them during any particular point. Rather, he spoke to them as one does when speaking to individuals of like experiences and similar circumstances.

"Let us then focus on the matter of Van Buren and Muller. These two sailors came aboard the ship under a false pretext. Their course might have seemed separate to some of you, but I will now confirm to you all that theirs was a conspiracy of lovers."

He stopped his narrative for a time to explain to Lamaire and Fournier the discovery of Van Buren's identity as a woman and the murders she committed when she killed two of the Danzig Trader's officers. Lamaire's expression changed many times during the narrative and he professed his appreciation and surprise during the tale many times. Fournier nodded, understanding the Muller connection almost at once. William continued.

"As surprised as we were to discover Van Buren's treachery, I was quite unprepared to fully understand it until Muller entered into the ward room and revealed his co-conspiracy with Van Buren. They were more than friends. More than shipmates. Even more than lovers. They had contracted together to bring about my kidnapping, my trial and my eventual death."

No one in the room seemed too surprised. After the discovery of Van Buren, it was not beyond anyone's imagination that their might have been another traitor in their midst. However, this did not keep them from being rapt listeners. They sat quietly, attentively listening and nodding to themselves as the narrative unfolded. The only one to leave her seat was Miss Smith, who refreshed her glass from a bottle on the table and then went gracefully about filling anyone who required more of the Don's wine. All the while, William continued his explanation of the events, beginning with Muller's pronouncements and ending with his rescue under Fournier's command.

"On the night of my disappearance, Augustus Muller requested an audience of me. He had proved a most able man in work and in duty and I then had no reason to suspect him. He had showed no more remorse for Van Buren than any other person aboard, save the surprise that was evident with the entire crew. His face was ever a mask of innocence, though I learned later that this was primarily due to an utter lack of depth in the man. He achieved his disguise by the complete lack of imagination under it. Still, we met privately and I offered him drink, which he then offered to pour. I drank and was in the act of removing charts from the table there when Muller brandished a pistol. He was at once venomous in his spite and accusations, and at first I let him speak his mind uninterrupted, it being my desire to learn everything that he would spill in his anger. He at once confirmed his allegiance to the late Van Buren and swore to see me hanged for her death and the death of her father. It was at this time that I learned that they were both contracted to deliver me into the hands of waiting enemies in London and Amsterdam. These enemies are surviving relatives of men who died or disappeared under me charge. Nevermind that many of these deaths and disappearances were the choice or fault of their owner's decisions. Van Buren and Muller were resolute. And whatever resolution might have waned was girded up in the face of the great rewards waiting to be paid by my waiting enemies abroad."

He stopped here to thank Miss Smith as she passed and filled his glass. He smiled to himself then at some unspoken thought before continuing.

"Muller spoke at length and he seemed determined to repeat himself often, as he was caught up in a flight of angry words. I thought he might shoot me there and then, despite the waiting gold promised to him, and I was about to relieve myself of Muller's ramblings when I realized too late his attack was planned beyond my estimation of the man. The tray he had brought from the larder for me and the food thereon were laced with some devilish alchemy that overcame me. I then realized to late that his repetition of curses was a simple design to keep my attention until the poisons he had laid in my drink overcame me. I suppose I went over with no greater noise than a man might who has stumbled in his progress."

William shrugged then. He did this with no embarrassment. The situation was past and he felt that if it were repeated a thousand times over he would have not seen the treachery before him for what it was until it was too late. So he continued.

"I was taken ashore, by what means I cannot say, though I was soaked and almost drowned in my stupor. Once ashore, I was delivered into many waiting hands and stowed under heavy sacks of grain in the bottom of a cart. I was taken overland in this fashion. I remember little afterward, drifting in an out of awareness like a tide.

Eventually, I awoke aboard a ship bound for destinations unknown, but guessed at. They beat me soundly many times. Muller participated in this often with fists, boot heels and profane declarations. I was unconscious many times and soon lost all track of days and hours. I remained in the filth of the bilge, adding to it with my filth and blood over many days."

Miss Smith's face was at once angry and disgusted. In that moment she looked as though she might do murder without regret. Mister Lasseter seemed to make up his mind about a similar act. His face was beyond smiles of any kind. Tempest sipped her glass and looked as dangerous as she ever did, her face the quiet storm that reflected her name. Lamaire's sword hand seemed restless. Perhaps he thought of past duels or perhaps he thought of the morning. Fournier wore the chess master's face that had raised him up to his position of power. Mister St. Anthony wore an all too understanding expression. He understood treacheries. Mister Badger was quiet. He nodded now and then as the pieces of the puzzle were explained. Armand, as Tempest, wore the well worn mask of an individual separated by many years and leagues of such similar matters.

"Then..." William continued. "...my friend Fournier came upon my captors by fate or good fortune. Certainly prompted by fortune. He and his men rescued me from imprisonment and the noose...but not before they buried me under a wreckage of debris and shrapnel first." he added with a smile.

Fournier and Lamiare nodded. "We were guided by ambitions other then rescue then, Capitaine Hollande." Lamiare said with a smile.

"Aye. And I have no complaint regarding the means of my deliverance." William raised a glass and they raised their glasses in mutual salute. "To my avenging angels. May fate be as kind to them as it was to me in guiding them."

All glasses and voices went up in answer to the toast.

::Mr. Frankiling finishes stitching up taught the canvas now covering our departed Monsignor. With a deep exhale, I look over and see our ships sailmaker looking sadly over the body.

I make my way around the table and move to the doorway.::

"Me lady, 'tis the most opportune time for this, but I 'preciate the 'elp you've given us 'ere. Names Pew, dunnot b'leve we've properly introduced . . "

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

* Slowly rising from his hammock, Petee sits up and swings his legs over to one side. He pulls on his boots and then digs through his sea chest. He pulls out his bible and quietly reads a passage and places it back in the chest and retrieves his flask. Uncorking the top he takes a long belt, when finished he stashes it in his boot. Rubbing his face he stands and stretches. He then pulls on his frock coat and puts on his tri-corn, stashes his hammock and makes his way on deck. He walks to the fore castle and pulls out his spy glass, walking from starboard to larboard, he stares out over the bay. *

Petee-2.jpg

::Mr. Frankiling finishes stitching up taught the canvas now covering our departed Monsignor. With a deep exhale, I look over and see our ships sailmaker looking sadly over the body.

I make my way around the table and move to the doorway.::

"Me lady, 'tis the most opportune time for this, but I 'preciate the 'elp you've given us 'ere. Names Pew, dunnot b'leve we've properly introduced . . "

"Pleased to make your aquaintance, even under such a dark cloud as this," *sighs* My name is Kendra Fitzwater, but most here just call me Kendra." *Turns back toward the body, and with out looking back at Mr. Pew she asks, "Is there anything else I can do?"

Kendra2.jpg

"Courage is the decision to fly straight into the flame while knowing the consequences"~ The Adventures Of A Notorious Youth Capt. Hook

By: J. V. Hart

"A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving."~Lao Tzu 490-570 BC

---------

Yes, I am leaving the pub. I don't know when or if I will come back to this port. I will check in from time to time. Until then:

*raising goblet of good cheer*

" To high adventure, and wild romance....long may they endure!"

For I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content

Philippians 4:11

Twitter:

TwittKnitter

Facebook:

shanamartin1

"Thankee Ms. Fitzwater. Me lady, if'n ye'd be so kind as to make Mr. Youngblood aware we 'ave the Monsignor ready for his departure."

::I turn back to Eric and Pete as they finish up the stitching of the canvas and they nod complacently as their work has been completed. Young McGinty moves to the head of the Monsignor and makes a small sign of the cross on his forehead. With a small tear, he looks away and then back quickly,

"I must go above with Ms. Kendra," he says woefully. He runs out of the room and up to the Main deck.

Pete moves to Diego's feet and I move to his head as to have Mr. Franklin carry the bulk of our Monsignor's weight. Slowly we make our way out of the cabin and to the hallway.::

::The tale of the Captain's kidnap had been told, a toast given and all had settled down to some mild conversation, but Dorian's mind was far from relaxed, though his body language said different. The intrigues that had happened, not only with the dutch, but with others involved, some of which might still be on this very island were coursing through his thoughts. Muller was still alive, unless he had died from his pistol shot delivered by the captain, or the crew had taken their wrath out on him. Lady Ilex was still aboard as well, another conspirator, locked in the cable tier. As Dorian thought these thoughts, he let his eyes drift around the room, over the form of Ms. Fitzgerald. He thought of what William had said in the way of unknown pasts of those aboard their ship. It made him reflect on his own past, one that was far from being unblemished.

As he took a sip from his glass he watched as a servant entered and one departed. Through the open door to the outer reaches, as the servants passed, the crossed themselves with a blessing. The QuarterMaster found this rather curious, he was about to ask the company around him if they'd noticed, then stopped as a point in his memory surfaced...::

My apologies, Cap'n.... I just remembered... on th' morrow th' lads who were sent in search o' th' Monsignor'll be returnin'... Should I head back ta th' ship afore first light? See wot they found?

::He felt bad about bringing up such a thing during this time, however it was his duty...::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

My apologies, Cap'n.... I just remembered... on th' morrow th' lads who were sent in search o' th' Monsignor'll be returnin'... Should I head back ta th' ship afore first light? See wot they found?

::He felt bad about bringing up such a thing during this time, however it was his duty...::

"If you like, Mister Lasseter." William said, but then changed his tack. "No, Mister Lasseter, I should think that what news they might have gleaned could wait." And then he changed his mind a third time. "I think perhaps...I might go back to the ship before long. Yes. A dance or two and then I shall return to the Watch Dog."

His expression seemed to express the idea that he would change his mind a fourth time, but Lamaire seemed roused by this new news of the Monsignor's absence.

"Has another crew member been abducted?" he asked, trying not to sound glib or chiding as he did so.

::We made our way topside to find the sky filled brilliant with thousands of stars. The gentle rocking of the ship and the somber mood of the early evening's discovery had quieted down the crew. Only those fufilling their duties were about on the deck of the Watch Dog.

The moon hung low in the western sky as we brought the Monsignor back upon deck for his last journey to the Quarterdeck of the Watch Dog.

Some of the crew rose from their respective spots laying about on the deck. We turned as we came topside and headed for the sternmost area of the Quarteredeck.

"Dunnot think the Captain 'ould be so pleas'd as to find our Monsignor floating 'bout in the 'arbor. Come first light if'n 'e not be back, we go ashore ta let 'im know. Eh lads?" I whispered to Mr's. Franklin and Straw.

Eric and Pete both nodded in silence and then looked over their shoulder to see if anyone was about who may have overheard.

"We should let Mr. Youngblood know the Monsignor be ready for his departure. 'ave you lads seen Mr. Youngblood?"

"If you like, Mister Lasseter." William said, but then changed his tack. "No, Mister Lasseter, I should think that what news they might have gleaned could wait." And then he changed his mind a third time. "I think perhaps...I might go back to the ship before long. Yes. A dance or two and then I shall return to the Watch Dog."

His expression seemed to express the idea that he would change his mind a fourth time, but Lamaire seemed roused by this new news of the Monsignor's absence.

"Has another crew member been abducted?" he asked, trying not to sound glib or chiding as he did so.

::Mr. Lasseter changed his expression slightly every time the Captain changed his mind and counter ordered himself... He thought that maybe he should have just kept his mouth shut, but such is life...

Then as Lt. Lamaire asked his question about another abduction, He spoke before the captain had a chance...::

"No... No further abductions Leftenant.... Just a concern o'er 'r Monsignor... 'e took 'is leave o' th' ship during th' Cap'n absence... we have sent a small landin' party ta see iffn' 'e might still be about... "

::With a calming smile, he sat back in his chair and took a sip of his wine, glancing at Tempest for several heartbeats, then scanned the room...::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"Ladies. Gentlemen. If you'll excuse me, I believe that Capitaine Fournier and I should discuss those matters on his mind. Please enjoy the remainder of the night, and feel free to except the Don's invitation to remain through the night."

William stood up from his chair and gestured for Fournier to lead the way to the gardens.

::As we placed the Monsignor against the port gun'ale he came to rest nearest a small wrap of cordage.

"I'll go abouts finding Mr. Youngblood gents. I 'ave a feelin tomorrow 'tis gonna be a busy day", Pete told us as we tried not to stare at the lifeless body before us.

I made my way back down to the orlop where I knew it'd be a bit quieter.

Thinking to myself I wondered about the day's events without most of our officers aboard . . .

"'twill be a long day tomorrow . . .", I thought to my self as I curled up in a darkened corner of the ship . . .

"Ladies.  Gentlemen.  If you'll excuse me, I believe that Capitaine Fournier and I should discuss those matters on his mind.  Please enjoy the remainder of the night, and feel free to except the Don's invitation to remain through the night."

William stood up from his chair and gestured for Fournier to lead the way to the gardens.

At William's anouncement of intentions, Jean-Micheale gained the attention of an attendant waiting in the shadows and after speaking briefly in request, looked to the other captain.

" One moment, s'il vous plait. A night such as this should not be spent without the company of a good wine. Estaban shall return very shortly and than we may continue on to matters of import."

William nodded his acknowledgment and laid to rest the remainder of his nearby goblet. While waiting for desired elixir, Jean-Micheale spoke quietly with his cousin in regard to the impending morning's event. News had travelled fast after the onset of disagreement and it had been in this same said chamber that word had been delivered. From that time until the present, due to the Don's settlement of buisness and conversations of other nature amongst those in attendance, the subject had not been breeched until now.

Fournier was well aware of the offending party in question, and was quite suprised that due to Santiago's general abrasive nature, he had not been laid low in the time since they had been on these shores last. If it had not been for the reputation of the challenged, Jean-Micheale may have managed to conjure some pity for the young Spaniard...If Santiago managed to survive his dawn destiny, it would not be without heavy penalty. Regardless of Dominique's general tongue in cheek philosophies, he was without compassion when placed in a battle oriented arena. Whether the bout was by sea or land, there was an underlying quality to Lamaire's personality that was far more ruthless and boardering on sadistic, then Fournier had ever shown. The young Frenchman that made jovial and light hearted company this eve, would not be the same creature with the arrival of Dawn's beckoning. Lamaire claimed that the choice of weapons would be cold steel, saying that it may give the Spaniard a fighting chance...Fournier knew different. The acceptence of cold steel would allow Lamaire to pick the other apart...slowly. Fournier had seen it before, a game of cat and mouse that would be drawn out until Lamaire grew bored.

Dominique looked up from the private conversation at the notice of Esteban's return. A handful of words were spoken, then the younger took his leave to join the rest of the chamber's occupants, giving William a slight bow of acknowledgment as he passed.

Bottle and two glass flutes in hand, Jean-Micheal lead William through an unseen door to a hallway beyond. Passing through a smaller chamber, they gained access to the west end of grand gardens and the area where the Vasquez family tombs were located. The small jaunt was made in silence only disrupted as hallowed ground was entered and the Frenchman turned to his companion.

" I trust that this area is not of an unsettling nature to you. I have always found it to bring a sense of peace to my being and it is quite secluded. We shall not be disturbed as in other areas."

" It will suit, I believe."

"Bon..." Fournier lead on to an alabaster bench, where the bottle was unstopped and flutes filled. Proffering one to his companion, Jean-Micheale contemplated his thoughts momentarily. Finishing half of flute's content, he fixed William with unwavred focus.

"The times are changing, mon ami. One can not have as many years at sea as you and I do, and not know this to be a truth. Because I consider you friend, I feel a great responsibility to share with you things that are not overly known." He let the words hang as flute content was finished then refilled.

"Being worldy and well-travelled we also know that what is seen on the surface is not always a truth, be it factual or fabricated. I know who you are, I know the man and I know the mythos that shrouds you. bear in mind that I have made effort to not make mention of your true name in mixed company and that your identity means nothing to me as a means of profit."

Fournier paused a moment more...

" I speak to you in warning, William. That the times are changing more rapidly than what can be seen to the obvious. Men in power have grown weary of those that practice the Sweet Trade. Nobles, as well as those of the Bourgeois class have patitioned to the ear of Nation's crowns heavily in regard to their pockets being picked and the Crowns have started to take notice..."

The amber sights wandered the proximity, then recentered on the other. William kept his peace, sampling now and again from wine delight.

"When we first came upon each other by chance, I was solely under the juristiction of Mother France's Navy as an obiediant officer. That is not the case anymore, that is why I am no longer in command of Chasse. I was approached with a propsition that I could not, in my better interest as well as that of my crew, turn down. In my possesion, I now carry documents under the seals of France, England and Spain to hunt those who prey off the fat of the Merchant Trade. Do you understand what I am trying to tell you, William. I am basicly above the law now...and I am not the only one. There will be more in the future that shall be given such liberties, it is my concern for you and your crew that I relay this. You need never fear from me or my own, but there will be those that will not look upon you with favor. It is not just those that hunted you for your identity that shall call you prey now, ami. The stakes are high...and the rewards for service even higher."

For a fleet, the general stoic cast of the Chessmaster's expression gave forth a hint of concern...

Tudor remained in her seat after the captains left, her face now a mask of composed and demure expression, but her mind quickly itemising and catalouging every detail that had been spoken of over the past hours. She turned to Armand, who had remained seated next to her. She smiled charmingly at him. "I believe you owe me the last half of a waltz." Her enjoyment in her teasing was evident, a playful glint in her silvery eyes.

The hint of a smile tugged at his mouth and he stood and bowed, elegantly extending his hand for hers. "Avec plaisir, Madamoiselle."

Just as she was about to stand, she noticed Lamaire approaching their end of the long chamber. She smiled sweetly, acknowleding his intent to speak to her. "Lt. Lamaire," She addressed him in quiet tones. "I do believe I owe you all sincerest gratitudes."

"A fitting setting for the discussion of dying trades." William said while looking about the small garden cemetery. "And yes, I do understand that times are changing. I appreciate the warning, my good friend, but I am nothing if not a man attuned to...the weather."

"And if the weather should become nothing but storms, mon ami?"

"Then I shall take in sail and ride the storms where I may."

Fournier looked at him for a long time and when he seemed about to speak again, William raised a hand. "I know what you would say, but the future has ever been on my mind. My own mortality has been presented to me many times since I ascended the quarterdeck. I assure you, I will not endanger myself or my crew needlessly. They are quickly becoming one of the finest crews that I have ever served with and I will not choose a path too reckless or unknown. I sail by charts that are proven and by stars that are constant. The rest is tides and air."

Fournier could not help the thought that crossed his mind at the mention of charts. He raised his glass and quoted that oft recorded cartographer favorite, "Here be monsters..."

William smiled and raised his glass. "And I, good sir, am one of them."