Pyrates of the West Coast

(The Quartermaster motioned toward the lookout and quickly, silently, Ciaran slid down the long rope, landing sure-footed beside Mister Lasseter. A dram was poured fer the lad, which he raised high, turned toward Captain William and joined the crew in the toast.)

Hip hip Huzzah!

Welcome back, Sir!

I wonder if one of the most important steps on our journey is the one in which we throw away the map.

-- Loreena McKennitt

My fathers knew of wind and tide, and my blood is maritime.

-- Stan Rogers

I don't pretend to be captain weird.

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*hobbling through the crew, she made her way to the Captian. *Bowing* "Sir, many here would show there appreciation with pretty speeches and fine rum, but seeing as how I ne're touch the stuff myself I decided to show it with a more lasting gift" With that she handed over a large smartly folded raven black Captain's coat with gold buttons.*

Kendra2.jpg

"Courage is the decision to fly straight into the flame while knowing the consequences"~ The Adventures Of A Notorious Youth Capt. Hook

By: J. V. Hart

"A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving."~Lao Tzu 490-570 BC

---------

Yes, I am leaving the pub. I don't know when or if I will come back to this port. I will check in from time to time. Until then:

*raising goblet of good cheer*

" To high adventure, and wild romance....long may they endure!"

For I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content

Philippians 4:11

Twitter:

TwittKnitter

Facebook:

shanamartin1

::As the crew continued to celebrate our Captain's return, I nearly forgot the reason we went ashore. Clutching the parchment in my hand, I backed away from the crowd and made my way to Mr. Lasseter.

I grasped his sleeve slightly and said quietly,

"The reason we went ashore sah," and I handed him the Don's letter with the pouch of coins remaining.::

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

William was lowering his glass as the final 'Huzzah!' trailed off to find the ship's tailor before him bearing gifts. He admired the offering, saying nothing at first. Then, shedding his own borrowed coat and handing it over to his Steward, William drew on the new garment. It was a tailored fit and he liked the weight of it on his shoulders. He brushed the men back with a gesture and walked a tight circle in his new raiment, allowing all of the a chance to admire Kendra's work. There followed a mix of approving murmurs, some jibing oos and ahhs, and one not so subtle comment about Gentlemen and scented handkerchiefs. A laugh followed and William wagged a chiding finger, turning back to Kendra.

"The craftsmanship is worthy of higher courts than this." William said, then took her hand and kissed it. "Thank you."

If she blushed in the lamp light, he couldn't be sure. He turned away from her, taking up a tankard again and after it was filled anew he raised it up. "A toast. To the Watch Dog! May she ever remain while there is any of us left who wish to return home to her!"

The answering replies were varied in the affirmative as William called for the Master Carpenter and others to fetch instruments to the gun deck.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpg

"The reason we went ashore sah," and I handed him the Don's letter with the pouch of coins remaining.::

Ah, Excellent Lad! Quick reply... very goode... Off ye go, back ta th' frivialities...

::Mr. Lasseter pocketed the note, patted the outside of the pocket and smiled...::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

The Surgeon arrived on the weather decks and paused to survey the mirth and milling. A hint of satisfaction and relief played over the delicate planes of her features as she watched the gathering around William. Closing the distance of half which lay betwixt them, she paused to take in the Captain's general well being. Though a slight more slender from the last time she had laid eyes upon him, over all William looked well.

Finding an empty area near port 'wale, she took relaxed stance and waited for William's eyes to rove her way...

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

La Hacienda Del Sol

Dominique Lamaire stood in witfull conversation with a group of young ladies bearing genteel status. Though the scars of warfare decorated his once Botticellian features, it never seemed to overide the young Frenchman's ability of charming the fairer sex. In flawless Spanish, Lamaire plyed his skills to enchant his gathering of entranced young women. If luck proved well, the night may be warmed with the comfort of at least two of these nubile nymphs and inwardly, Lamaire anticipated the soiree' after the soiree'.

As he related an ancedote of clever virtues, Lamaire's attention was distracted by the aproach of another. Excusing himself from his bevy of admirers, Dominique waved the familiar form of Jaques-Patrik Marat to an area away from the general crowd. In hushed tones, the Gunner related that Chien de Garde had returned to port and that William had rejoined the frigate's company...

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

William was surprised by the number of instruments and musicians that gathered on the gun deck. He had been mistaken in his estimate of talent among the crew and was glad for it. Before long there was a song playing as good as any one might hope for at an inn or tavern. Feet were tapping in no time at all and William lifted the rum ration so that they might partake more liberally.

Lucky Tuck was in the middle of a joke as blasphemous as it was funny when William noticed that Tempest had come into the throng. He smiled warmly, making his way toward the ship's surgeon.

"Good evening, Doctor."

The smile was warmly returned and she stood as though uncertain as to how she should proceed. The fine line of brow knit briefly then she reached hesitantly for one of the Captain's large hands. Holding it gently, the aqueous pools of green hue centered on his own, as she spoke kindly.

" I see you have returned to us, not as worse for the wear as I had anticipated..." She paused once again as in thought. " How are you William? I would go so far as to ask of your strange happenings, but I am sure there is time enough for that later..."

He squeezed her hand gently and after a moments pause he simply said. "The departure was sudden and revealing, the journey arduous and filled with despair and resignation, but the homecoming is worth more to me than all of the adventure combined. However, I must apologize, my good Doctor. In a fever brought on by exposure, famine and a profound fatigue, I allowed another surgeon to nurse me back to health. His care, while attentive and appreciated completely lacked your special charm and lovely healing hands."

He smiled again and kissed her hand as he had Kendra's.

" I see that you have lost none of your charm during times of trial..." Tempest smiled. " Another surgeon, say you? From where, might I ask?"

Jack ceased the playing of his recorder and rushed forward to take his Captain by the back of the head. He grinned and laughed, and said "Oh, Captain, sir! How wonderful to have you back aboard! Such a joyous day, for us all!"

He danced off, trying his best to play with one hand whilst dancing with his other arm around Kendra.

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

" I see that you have lost none of your charm during times of trial..." Tempest smiled. " Another surgeon, say you? From where, might I ask?"

"Our relationship was not so intimate that he spoke of his origins, though his accent speaks of climbs both French and of good breeding." William smiled and kissed her hand a second time while he had it. "Though I might ask Fournier when I seem him next. I am certain that he would know where his surgeon comes from."

William was surprised by a sudden friendly attack from Jack, and he laughed as the man spiraled off with the tailor.

She flushed ever so slightly to the second bestowing of William's attentions. At the verge of saying something of wit and risque wording, the remark caught in her throat. Regaining vocal capacities she spoke with caution.

" William...did you not just say "Fournier"?...Here?" The Surgeon eyed him with a mixture of confusion and unease.

She flushed ever so slightly to the second bestowing of William's attentions. At the verge of saying something of wit and risque wording, the remark caught in her throat. Regaining vocal capacities she spoke with caution.

" William...did you not just say "Fournier"?...Here?" The Surgeon eyed him with a mixture of confusion and unease.

He enjoyed the flush in her cheeks, but her second reaction gave William pause. He turned to her in order to speak without his voice carrying, gaging her body language and reading her face for unspoken thoughts.

"Indeed. It was my good fortune to be discovered by Fournier among those pirates misfortunate enough to fall under his eye. Does that trouble you?" He looked back over his shoulder towards the harbor and the sleeping frigate there.

She recomposed her manner and bearing, glancing to the direction in which William had looked.

" My apologies, William..." She offered a weak attempt at smile. " It is a stroke of good fortune that Jean-Micheale came upon you in your hour of need. If it were a surgeon under his command, than I have no doubt of said doctor's abilities. I take it you are to meet with Jean-Micheale again?"

She seemed at once composed again, though he suspected that there might be more to her first reaction than she wanted to speak about. Still, he asked no more questions, but followed the course of the conversation to wherever it might lead.

"I am in his debt and it would be impolite not to see him again. Also, there is cargo I must collect in the form of a traitor kept prisoner aboard his ship. The betrayer Augustus Muller is in his keeping. He is enjoying the hospitality of Le Requiem's holds, and pondering on those stories that he has heard of me."

" So what you are saying to mine understanding, is that yon corvette is under Jean-Micheale's command. It seems that he has been elevated once again, for it was a difrerent vessel at last meeting...Muller is aboard that vessel?" Her brow furrowed a slight again to be vanquished. Tempest squeezed William's hand affectionately, "William, may I ask that I am present when next you speak with Fournier?"

William shook his head slowly. "This ever present obsession with Capitaine Fournier and the French is bound to make me jealous, Miss Fitzgerald. I allow myself to be shot and days later, Fournier interrupts my recovery under your good care. I rescue the Danzig and her crew and I shower them with mercy and the finest virtues of kindness and your attention falls to the French yet again. Now, so recently returned from abduction and the assurance of a hangmen's noose, I find myself once again but a shadow under the towering distraction of the common French officer."

William clutched his chest in mock injury.

"I shall learn the La Marseillaise post haste and endeavor to increase the laces in my doublets."

" But, dear William...You forget, my father was French." The Surgeon smiled coyly and squeezed his hand once again. " I do believe that you are quite charming enough not too be intimidated by the French. It is simply an odd twist of fate, but one I do believe that has fallen in your favor. One could do worse than fall into company with the like of Jean-Micheale."

Tempest gave him a sidelong wink.

" And you are safe from the hazards of the heart...Count yourself fortunate."

She fell to silence briefly, eyes travelling to the yon frigate than back to her companion.

" As I recall, there is a bottle in my possesion that I promised you once in the past. When things come to a calm, we shall have to open its' treasure and you must tell me all that transpired in your absence."

He smiled. "You flatter me, Doctor." He followed her gaze over the dark water and back again. "I should love a shared glass or two, but I cannot tell you about all which transpired in my absence. They bludgeoned me unconscious once too often. I will try to explain those hazy details that are left in my memory. As for Jean-Micheale, he is as good a companion as I have known and an able soldier of the sea. I count myself lucky for having known him, but give me the less polished Lasseter over Jean-Micheale."

He gestured with a nod in the direction of the Quartermaster. "Has he slept and eaten enough during my mysterious absence?"

" Then it is a date, when time allows. I do wish to make sure of your health, never the less. One can never be too careful under such circumstance. I will assume that it is a gentleman by the name of Dupris that is under Jean-Micheale's command and a finer physician you could not ask for. I still wish to be sure. "

At the mention of the Quartermaster, her expression darkened briefly.

" I wish I could say otherwise, but Mister Lasseter has been putting many things into action in your absence...Sleep, I fear, has not been over high on his priority list. I think you should be quite proud of his performance under said circumstances."

"The prospect of sharing a private bottle while having my health confirmed never sounded more inviting."

He chuckled a little then.

"As for Mister Lasseter, I was ever certain that he would carry on well in my absence, and I am proud to see that even my trust in him fell short of the mark. He really does take great pains to exceed my expectations. I do believe he prides himself in being better than I give him credit for." William said, shaking his head a little at the healthy and happy chaos on the deck. "I shall have to speak with him about his excess in fulfilling all of my orders. Any normal man would be satisfied just to do what little was required of him, but not our Mister Lasseter. His perfection in duty requires me to cheat death just to measure up to him."

William smiled again.

"Between your estimation of the French and Mister Lasseter's constant over achievement, I shall have to weigh myself in larger balances."

Just then the music changed to something more lively than before. Jack was doing his best to maintain a rather exhaustive canter around the deck and William was suddenly overwhelmed with a desire to dance. He stood away from Tempest and bowing low with hat in hand he begged her for the honor of a dance. When she agreed he replied. "Excellent. In this I thing am guaranteed to surpass the Quartermaster."

They enter the dancing at a gallop and were soon swinging about among the rest of the crew. Once, they nearly knocked the Blacksmith clean off his feet and just managed to dodge an enthusiastic pair of dancers made up of Constance and Mister Straw. Ciaran tried to cut in, and William almost wouldn't have it, but he finally acquiesced.

Left without a partner, William went immediately to Miss Smith and rather than asking her to dance, he ordered his Steward to help him keep himself on his feet so that he wouldn't embarrass himself in front of the others, which proved to be an exaggeration, as he was as light on his feet as he had ever been. More than once he carried her off her feet as they made a turn on the deck.

Soon they were all dancing and stealing one another's partners as the night when on, and the music and laughter played as it was carried across the waters to where Muller lay awake in the dark hold of Le Requiem.

Tudor laughed gleefully as she and the Captain spun around the deck to the mery music. She had been resigned to being a rail flower when the Captain was deprived of a partner and he ordered her to keep him on his feet. Her bare feet seemed to hardly touch the wood planking of the deck as they kept up to the fast meter of music.