Pyrates of the West Coast

God bless the four sisters and how easily they had taken the women of the village and turned each and every one of them, (all of them) into quite accomplished marksmen with the bows and arrows. There were a few but they were elderly and weak and would be the arrow monkeys for the lot of them During the day the women would work their filds and too collect branches then after class they would return home for main meal and ties the feathers on their arrows. The village blacksmith was making about 60 tips a day and we had already counted 590 arrows done. In addition he was still making all the swords and bracers and shields We sent a small fishin ship over to La Margarita to procure iron ingot, brass and copper in trade for the fine coffee and produce the island had to trade with. He came back telling of the tall ships there in safe harbor, by his account I recognized the watch dog as being one of them and too the french Friggate Le Requiem both in a spanish held harbor? I hoped the captain was found..... Then realized i was daydreaming and more work was needed here.

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Armand nodded and watched as the Quartermaster left company. Glancing back to the French vessel, he allowed his mind to wander where it would. Looking over shoulder to the direction in which Dorian departed, the Gascon mused over why the other frigate should cause the Quartermaster ill ease. If the vessel were of d'Angleterre origins, it would make perfect sense to be uncomfortable...but the odds of such a vessel in Spanish waters with current polotics would be slim. This vessel carried a French Letter of Marque, the only danger the other frigate could present was to himself and the allegations of treason that lay on his head.

With an unconscience head shake of negation, the Gascon watched the near shoreline as lamps were lit along the parameter against the coming night.

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

::Finding himself back in the Wardroom, Mr. Lasseter sat heavily at the table. Drawing in a deep breath before diving into the job at hand. Taking a sheet of parchment from the small pile, he then checked the tip of the quill. Seeing it was still satisfactory, he opened the inkpot and dipped the quill. Holding the quill above the page momentarily, thinking of the exact wording to use, then touching nub to page he began... He slowly wrote all he needed to convey to the Don, signed it with a flourish then let the ink dry... He stood and paced, stretching his shoulders and arms as he did so... soon the ink was dry to his satisfaction, so the parchment was folded and sealed. Taking it in hand, he delivered it topside... ::

Hmmm... Mr. PEW! Ye seem ta be quite capable...grab a lad r' two, take th' dingy ta shore, deliver this ta th' lad ya done delivered th' last message ta th' Don... an' 'ere's some coin ta sweeten it... right quick...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

La Hacienda Del Sol ~ La Margarita

Introductions and greetings made the round once more and Donna Vasquez took the hand of William and expressed gratitude for his part in staunching an old wound of heart and soul.

William bowed his head but a little and smiled the warmest smile in his arsenal of smiles. It lit his eyes and face and he was at once a different countenance when he used it.

"My pleasure."

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpg

Hmmm... Mr. PEW! Ye seem ta be quite capable...grab a lad r' two, take th' dingy ta shore, deliver this ta th' lad ya done delivered th' last message ta th' Don... an' 'ere's some coin ta sweeten it... right quick...

"Aye sah. Right away."

::I hustle out of the ward room and grab Eric Franklin and Pete Straw and inform them of our charge. We grab our arms from Mr. St. Anthony and head topside. I tell Mr. Franklin to hasten departure and launch the dingy.::

"We gots ta see the Don."

::With that, we push away from the Watch Dog and head to La Margarita again . . . ::

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

:: Once Mr. PEW and company were away, the QuarterMaster turned his attention first to the rest of the crew, watching as they made both the Patricia and the St. Kitts ready for a run to shore. He was satisfied at the progress made, so turned his attention to the surrounding harbour... He climbed into the shrouds, up to the top of the mainsail, where he perched himself with his spyglass. Pulling a folded piece of cloth from his pocket, he used it to clean the lenses of the 'glass, once satisfied he extended the instrument and held it to his eye. He scanned the shore, watching the bustle of activity there, seeing that the port seemed to be back to a normal routene since their departure. Then taking in all the shipping in the port, again seeing that all seemed to be moving at a normal pace, no one looked to be hurrying to load or offload any goods, nor making haste for a quick departure. He finally settled the glass on Le Requiem... she was a french corvette for the most part, some changes from what might be considered normal had been made to this ship, and these had either been done by some exceptionally gifted craftsmen, or had been purpose built in the shipyard. The crew on deck appeared as expected, an anchor watch and a detatchment of marines stood guard, occasionally making rounds... This did some to settle Mr. Lasseter's nerves, but he still had something gnawing at his gut, something telling him to pay close attention to this ship, but for what reason he did not know... ::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

::As we made our way to docks I waved down an errand boy and asked him to send for a paige from the Don's abode high on the hill. We tied off the dinghy and took a quick bearing of where the French warship was versus the rest of the Spanish merchants. Many of the fishing boats dotting the docks had now gone to sea to find if their mending of the nets had well held up.

In less than a turn of the hourglass the boy had returned with the paige. I explained to him the urgency required in delivering Mr. Lasster's message to the Don. I reached into the small bag of coins our Quartermaster had given us to expedite the matter and dropped a few into the hand of the paige. I told the paige that we were to be waiting for a reply from the Don and that he could find us in the Las Aves. He mounted his horse and in a cloud of dust we were left again on the wharf.

He headed towards the fort where we could find the Las Aves around the corner, and awya the paige's return.::

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

Despite the hospitality of his hosts, William slipped away from the company of those who made up the politics of La Margarita. He did this with a polite care, making the excuse to stretch his legs and fill his lungs with the air along the shorelines. In truth, he needed the air. He wasn't fully recovered from recent weeks and he found the static surroundings somewhat confining. He wandered among shops and sailors for the better part of an hour before finding himself once again on the docks. Here, the smells and sounds of the sea revived him as they had always done. He made his way down one of the piers to watch the seabirds. It was here that his attention fell on a familiar boat. It was dingy like any other, but he had taken it ashore so many times since joining the Watch Dog's host that he couldn't help but recognize it.

"Well, well, my little friend." he said aloud, raising his eyes and his hand to shield them as he scanned the wide ocean for the one true prize ship he hoped to find there. Even as he saw her he was removing his hat to wave as he strode to the utmost end of the pier upon which he stood. His smile quickening with each step.

"Let this not be an apparition."

::After spending at least ten minutes in study of the French ship, the QuarterMaster took the 'glass from his eye and wiped the persperation from his brow. Looking down on the deck of the ship below him, he saw that both the cutter and longboat had been swayed out and were riding next to the Watch Dog nicely...::

A'right Lads! Crew fer th' Cutter n' th' Longboat! Get yer arms from th' Master 't Arms, ready yerselves in wot niceties ye got! Soon as We hear word from th' Don we goin' ashore! Some o' ye goin' wi' Mr. Badger ta get supplies, some 'll be headin' ta th' estate... fer business...

::He smiled as the crew gave a cheer and headed to tasks below. Taking one last look around before he headed to the deck, a figure walking down the pier caught his eye. Raising his glass to see, he nearly fell from his perch as the man came into focus, ::

Lords o' the Oceans be praised! If 'at ain't Cap'n William I'm th' king's gamekeeper!

:: The man on the pier raised his hand and sheilded his eyes, taking his hat off and waving it as he did so, showing the crown of red hair beneath, Mr. Lasseter damn near jumped up and down on the yardarm..::

Damn me! Lads! Th' Cap'n! 'e's ashore!

::Collapsing his glass and shoving it into his pocket, Dorian swung himself down and grabbed a line, sliding hap-hazardly to the deck, landing at the break on the quarter. ::

C'mon! Get yer arses movin'! ready th' cutter an tie off th' longboat!

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

The Watch Dog bobbed gold and green on the water of a waning day and William stood in the strong wind carried off of the ocean, his hands planted firmly behind his back. He often stood this way on the quarterdeck and knowing he would stand on it soon caused him to fall into this unconscious stance.

He was surprised to find that he had missed the Watch Dog more than he had the Hammerhead of previous years. The Hammerhead was so much larger and grander than the Watch Dog, but like an elephant on the sea, the Hammerhead had always lumbered on the waves. It had been almost too much to manage. The Watch Dog was a sleek and comfortable vessel. It was more akin to an animal of a hunting design. More like a dog.

He longed for a spyglass.

::Pete Straw, Eric Franklin and I are just finishing a tankard at the bar when the page abruptly sails though the doorway. He hands us a small parchment with the Don's seal pressed in Red wax, still fresh enough to make a slight smear. We pay the barkeep and head back outside to the wharf where the dinghy is tied.

Eric nudges me and Pete puts his hand on his pistol, I slowly place my hand upon my dagger in my belt; A large man with his back to us is rooting around our wares in the dinghy.

"Wot says you mate?", Eric bellows.

"Ye best 'ave a damned goode reason for bein' aboust our boat mate." Pete draws his pistol and levels it at the back of the man's head. He slowly raises his hands and turns . . . in a deliberate breath he says:

"'Tis my boat gentlemen"

Pete drops his pistol to his side and we nearly all say in unison,

"CAPTAIN?!?!?!?"::

William noted their surprise with a light smile and a raised eyebrow.

"Captain...? Is that a question, Gentlemen?" William said with a false and pretended curtness, but he couldn't quite manage this note of seriousness. He turned back to the dingy to hide his smile, shaking his head as he surveyed the dingy. "This just won't do, gentlemen. This dingy is in poor shape. Will I find the Watch Dog in such a condition?" Then his mock inspection fell apart as he began to laugh a little under his breath.

"Captain..." Mister Pew managed. "...where..."

"Where have I been?" William finished for him. "I have been on a ride in handcarts and holds. Each one bound for hanging and Hell."

He stepped forward then and clapped hands with each of them in turn, beginning with Mister Straw and on down until he had greeted them all. They exchanged a friendly silence, and that seemed alright for all of them. Explanations would come later or not at all. Like all dangerous and mysterious separations, once they were over they seemed unimportant. Still, before they could ask more of him, William ordered them to take him to the Watch Dog.

"Gentlemen, if you please I should like to return to the ship."

"RIGHT AWAY SAH!!"

::We make haste untying the dinghy and heading at top speed back to the Watch Dog. I find myself checking my pocket for the Don's message since I had nearly forgotten about it since we met the Captain. There is an easiness that has fallen over our small vessel. Be it finding the Captain, or returning with goode news, or is it the rum? Nevertheless, we find the crew of the Watch Dog growing increasingly large on the gunwale of our ship.::

::As reperations to launch the cutter shoreward run to a fever'd pitch, the lookout hails the deck,::

Mr. Lasseter! The lads in the dingy have found the Captain! Looks like they be bringin' him out!

::The QuarterMaster stops to draw his glass and look to shore, seeing the lads with William in tow making their way into the dingy and starting out to the ship...::

Thankee Carian!!! Yer eyes be sharper th'n e'er!

Hmmm... gonna be a haul out ta th' 'Dog for 'em...

::The crew gather at the rail, watching as the dingy makes its way from shore. Noticing that reperations of the cutter have stopped, Mr. Lasseter barks his orders again, ::

Lads! Rig out th' cutter! Now!!! Them poor lads'll pull til their arms come off! We shall meet 'em an' bring th' Cap'n back in proper style!

::The crew give a cheer and head back to the final necessaries, the cutter crew head aboard, followed by the QuarterMaster...::

Right! All ready? Shove off! Haul away!

::The sails of the cutter almost fly up the mast, as the men put themselves to task, filling with the breeze the small craft heels to and is on its merry way....::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ajayi was listening to the excited thumps and shuffleing above him on the main deck. From where he was stretched out he leaned forward slid one cannon doors open and could see what all the excitement was above. The captain had been found. He smiled, looked down shook his groginess off and pulled the cannon door closed and stood up. Almost completely bent over at the waist he headed toward the stairs and then up them where the light was bright and the wind cool on his glistening skin. Ajayi silently walked up behind and startled Ms Tudor by saying in slow broken english "Ajayi wants to say hello too." Ms Tudor turned and wiped her tears and smiled looking up two feet into his eyes and took his massive forearm in her little hand and shook her head yes. Then turned back to watch her approaching captain. Tears of happiness freely falling to the deck at her feet.

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

La Hacienda Del Sol

After William's departure from the soiree', Jean-Micheale and Dominique had stepped quietly away to one of the large verandas overlooking the estate. From this vantage they casually sipped from aged elixirs and watched in silence as their recent companion wandered the grand gardens then onward to the roadway beyond great gate. Twilight creatures sang in fugue harmony, contrasting in nature's defience to the man made sounds of string wafting from inside the large double doors thrown wide to catch evening air's parfume.

As Captain Brand's silhouette merged and dissipated in the distance, Dominique cleared his throat quietly and eyed his cousin with unvoiced question. Without turning his focus, Fournier finished his goblet's content then rested the fine wrought base on railing surface. Turning away from garden view, he leaned to the rail's support and spoke quietly, as if having read Lamaire's thoughts.

"I have no worry to the safety of our companion, mon ami. He is not unarmed and I doubt that even if that were the case, that Monsieur Brand would be readily taken with ease..." The amber sights drifted sidelong to the empty goblet momentarily. " I believe if I were in his place, I should do the same as he under the circumstances, non?"

Lamaire looked the where William had faded from sight and nodded in silent accord. Fournier retrieved his empty goblet and pondered it's next filling, " The Capitaine has been seen in our company and is known to be in our aquaint, as well as that of Don Vasquez's. Nothing of ill will befall him with his return to La Margarita... Nothing that would not bring the fury of hell in retribution."

From comfortable seat near window's view, Louis-Nicolas Lamotte looked away from the cards he held to watch the approach of William Brand. From under the table, shipmate and fellow gunner Jacques-Patrik Murat, felt his left foot nudged and looked quizicaly at the other. Lamotte gave inclination towards the main enterance, and placing cards face down, the two Requiems. Watching silently from cantina entrance, they observed two men gain proximity to their unawares temporary shipmate.

Service pistols were removed from hiding, cocked and leveled in response to the interlopers threatening manner. Watching with deadly gleem dancing in their eyes, the Frenchmen stood ready to dispatch the souls of the other two dancing delicately the fine line of life and death. The scene then took sudden change of course, and just as twin barrels were about to roar loudly their existence, an eased familiarity appeared betwixt the near distant company of three. Setting at ease the French Gunners and their intent, the pistols were placed back to rest. With a shrug of shoulders, Lamotte nodded to the former seating and retreated inside.

A fresh round ordered, Jacques-Patrik Murat smiled with great satisfaction and laid down his display of winning hand.

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

William looked back at the high and almost hidden estates of the Don as the three men rowed away from the dock. Many course were laid out before him now and his mind would have dwelt more on them, but he was too distracted by the Watch Dog and the lowering boats that were sent out from the ship to greet them as they went.

"Mister Straw, you look no worse for wear. And you, Mister PEW. You seem in good health."

They nodded and Mister Straw answered for them both. "Aye, Cap'n. The crew has been in good health, though some have lost sleep in the searching for your whereabouts."

"And at least two of the crew have gone entirely." Mister PEW added.

"Gone entirely?" William said, a little puzzled by this choice of words. "Do you mean that they have gone from the ship or they have gone from the world entirely."

"Perhaps both." Mister PEW returned. Then he launched into explanations on the disappearances of Diego and Muller."

William nodded, but said nothing more for the time being.

Tudor had been sorting through various notes and parchments down in the Ward room, filing them away with proficent tidyness when a great fracas was heard on deck. She nearly tripped over her own feet and the toppled chair when she heard Ciaran calling to the quatermaster. Nearly colliding with the door she ran as quickly as she could to the deck, skidding to a stop almost going head first over the ship's rail into the ocean, just in time to see the cutter meet the dingy. She wanted to shout on the top of her lungs upon seeing the captain in the boat.

(Ciaran watched with great excitement as the dingy slowly made its way back toward The Watch Dog. His heart beat with excitement. The Captain! The Captain was alive and looked well and was returning home! All over our ship was great movment on deck. It seemed that everyone aboard was running to the railing to watch the Captain's return.)

Oh, Diego, (Ciaran thought to himself. Where was the Monsignor? He needed to be here at this happy moment.)

I wonder if one of the most important steps on our journey is the one in which we throw away the map.

-- Loreena McKennitt

My fathers knew of wind and tide, and my blood is maritime.

-- Stan Rogers

I don't pretend to be captain weird.

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

As the cutter parted the Watch Dog's company, William could just make out the bearing of several familiar forms. The cutter swung away from the Watch Dog at speed and the gap between the two small boats closed rapidly. William dared to stand in the small boat long enough to tip his hat.

"Mister Lasseter. Gentlemen. How are each of you this fine night?"

::As the cutter headed quickly to the piont of intersection with the dingy, the order to drop sail was given, slowing their progress and allowing momentum to carry them the finally distance. As the cuttter came along side of the dingy, Captain William stood and tipped his hat,::

"Mister Lasseter. Gentlemen. How are each of you this fine night?"

::The QuarterMaster doffed his own hat and gave a bow...::

Captain... We are very happy to see you in goode health... I would say tha' we be in high spirits now tha' we fine ye.... I would have you and th' lads come aboard th' Patricia and we shall sail ye back to yer ship in th' grande style ye deserve...

::With a quick action, Mr. Straw threw the bow line of the dingy to one of the cutter crew and were soon hard against the side. William easily climbed from the dingy into the cutter, helped by Mr. Lasseter and as many of the crew who could lay a hand on him. Then came the three lads who were also brought aboard with happiness. ::

Aright Lads, kindly get us back to the ship... I believe we 'ave much ta celebrate! Tis grande ta have ye back, Cap'n... we have much to discuss, but it can wait til th' morn... Damned goode ta have ye back... indeed...

::The cutter was handled expertly, rounded up and heading back to the ship, the men giddy with the thoughts of a rowdy time to be had...::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"Thank you, Mister Lasseter." William exclaimed as he shook the man's shoulder, "Lads! Ladies! It does me well to see you all in such good spirits and good health." William came aboard, welcomed by many supporting arms. He was glad for them. He wondered if he looked thinner to them or if they could see the wear from weeks past, but then he shook this wonder away, knowing that much of his tribulations and appearance had been fed and rested into memory by the hospitable care of the French.

He found a place among them and looked about with a smile he didn't mind showing. He would have said more, but he now that he was in their company again he could not think of anything to say at present. He just slipped his hat off once to smooth back his hair and replaced it again.

They flew over the water with an ease that belied much recent practice with the cutter and showed how well they were learning to navigate the sleek vessel. He admired the way they tacked and changed the lines and tiller to best manage the wind they were provided. Under the management of Mister Lasseter and Mister Warren, they were under the Watch Dog's lamp lights. Ciaran was aloft and waving and many were at the rail, including Miss Smith. William removed his hat to nod in her direction.

She crossed to where the captain now stood, moving to make her customary curtsy, which she realised looked a bit silly in the slops she was wearing, so she substituted it for a simple salute, her ink stained fingers brushing her brow. "Welcome back Captain." She said, standing at attention, waiting for any orders, thriving in the moment.

William came aboard amidst a mix of silent smiles and not so silent cheers. He was helped aboard by the cutter crew and those on deck. Miss Smith did him the formal courtesy of saluting so William removed his hat slowly, smiling and bowing low as he did so. "Miss Smith."

They shared a smile between them as the deck filled with all of the remaining crew members of the Watch Dog. Mister Lasseter, ever vigilant in the discipline and order of the ship, ordered the cutter crew toward all the tasks required to stow the small boat. William tipped his head back to give the lookouts a nod. He returned his gaze to Miss Smith, who stood at more attention than most on the deck.

"Miss Smith..." he began again, but in too good a mood to give any orders he didn't finish. Instead, he looked about the sea of waiting faces and nodded. "Thank you, all." and then, "Thank you, kindly."

A dipper was handed to him from a bucket at the ship's waist and William drank deeply from it.

:: Once the cutter was cleared away and the dingy hoisted in place, Mr. Lasseter made his way to the Captain's side.::

Cap'n, I know not how ye came ta be in La Margarita, tho it gives me much joy tha' ye be in fine health and back aboard... Yer ship is as fit as she were when ye last laid eyes on 'er... an' now she be back under yer command... Permission ta break out th' spirits ta honour yer return?

::Mr. Lasseter wore a genuine smile of brotherly love, truly happy to have the Captain back, alive and well... The Captain returned the smile and gave answer to his request,::

Please do...

::A great cheer came from the crew as the captain assented to the request, and already some barrels were being hauled on deck by strong backs...::

Cap'n, would ye care fer some french wine? Or shall ye join us in toastin' yer health wi' rum?

:: Mr. Lasseter held a jack, high above his head filled to the top with rum , ::

Three cheers fer th' return O' Cap'n William!!!

Hip-hip HUZZAH!

hip-hip HUZZAH!

hip-hip HuZZAH!!!!!!

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif