Pyrates of the West Coast

It seems as though the parishioners here had been without a priest as he had passed away some time ago and the village and the island have been in a living purgatory. Being without a minister to hear their confessions, administer last rights and perform sunday services and mass. What is now obvious to me is, they have mistaken me for that padre's replacement. I shall do what is right and stay here and resolve that which has gone askew. I have done all I could to rescue my captain. I sent the note to lasseter telling him where the captain was and when the ship left with him on it. Surly no one slowed Ajayi. I will pray the Watch Dog has already caught slaughtered the crew of the ship imprisoning our captain and saved him before it was too late..... They won't even miss me... I had removed all the weapons I was carrying under my robes and hid them in the office......

Just then a knock on my office door (my new office door) I opened it and three young men mayhaps fifteen or so took off their hats and invited me to dinner at their farm house and asked if one should stay to show the way I said why yes and thanked them. Rafael is who stayed he is the youngest of six boys one the oldest Miguel had died last year and the others his mother and his father are awaiting my presence. I, washed up as new water and linen was addressed during some time I didn't see when or who and neatly gathered many of my things. lets go as I reached over to walk with Rafael.

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr. PEW... yer ta keep Scully alive.... he is worth little to us dead, I should say worth little ta th' spanish dead... Keep 'im bound an' gagged at all times... I's countin' on ye... now go retrieve th' bastard from th' bildge... check ta make sure 'e be all trussed up tightly....

"Aye Sah"

::Heading into the Dutch Captain's hole, we are overcome with the smell of his filth. The Captain's steward accompanied us on our way to the bilge. Her excuse was to help us collect his belongings and make sure nothing of his was left aboard the Watch Dog

"Very well," I tell her as we head below decks.

Scully had been brought upon deck and in the view of the crew for the first time since he disembarked from the Danzig Trader. Every able bodied seaman topside that evening stopped what they were doing and cast their eyes upon this shadow of a man whom stood so proudly before them not so long ago. . . .those days were long gone.

Eric Franklin and Mr. Brisbane held Captain Scully's arms behind his back His manacles had been replaced with heavy cordage from our sailmaker. "The less noise ye makes Captain, the better chance ye haves a livin'" breathed Mr. Brisbane as Mr Tucker and I tightened the ropes behind Scully's back.

The Captain's Steward followed us from Scully's hold carrying what belongings the the Dutch Captain still had onboard the Watch Dog.

After we lashed the Dutch Captain securely, we crossed the deck as to board the St. Kitts. Suddenly Captain Scully collapsed in a heap upon the deck. "Mr. Lasseter, I b'leve the Dutchie's breathed his last," exclaimed Mr. Brisbane. The Captain's Steward bumped into Mr. Franklin as he stooped to lift Captain Scully. With a long swing of her leg, she heaved her boot long and hard into Scully's stomach. Captain Scully suddenly gasped and rolled over. Tudor spat on him and threw his waistcoat onto his head, then turned briskly to head back below decks.

A low chuckle could be heard emerging from the crew topside that evening and even Mr. Lasseter had the slightest wry smile ever forming upon his lips.::

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

::Watching the display of malice towards the former dutch captain did give the QuarterMaster some evil pleasure, and seeing more of the same would do the crew some good... However in order for the gathering of information and other necessities, no more harm must come to him...::

A'right... A'right... Mr. PEW, lay aft...

::Mr. PEW headed back to where the QuarterMaster stood in the waist, where he was motioned closer for a discrete conversation...::

Mr. PEW... Though I has much disdain fer tha' bastard... and think it a waste o' supplies... take along some extra provisions so ye may keep 'im in goode health... If he were ta breath his last afore he be turned o'er ta th' Don... this will all 'ave been a waste o' time... time we do not 'ave ta waste....

Now, much as ye'd like ta be overly rough wi' yer charge... don't be... ye on'y need ta remind 'im where he be goin'.... th' spanish'll put 'im in a pit o' hell like no other.... Off ye go ta yer duty... Armand's a'waitin' fer ye... He be yer commander now...

:: With a smile of feral quality, he clasped his hands behind his back and watched as Mr. PEW took his leave... once all were over the side he walked over and peered down into the darkness at them...::

Good Luck an' Gods Speed.... we gonna keep a sharp eye fer yer return... if ye come back ta this spot an ye don't see the ship... no worries... we be back soon as we can...

::With a wave and nod of his head, he watched as the St. Kitt was pushed off and the oars began the job of propelling the boat to shore...

Turning away from the receeding boat, he crossed the deck and headed below to find the Captain's Steward... he steeled himself for what he believed would be a conflict of words...::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Dorian found Tudor in her quaters, or rather, he heard her and followed the noise. When he opened the door, that wasn't fully closed to begin with, he saw the short red-head violently pummeling and kicking the wall, the cot, the smallish desk, and anything else that was nmistakenlly getting in her way. Her main focus was, however, on the wall, and it was looking slightly worse for the wear. She didn't even notice the quatermaster come in. She look ed up when he cleared his throat and shot him a look that was a cross between anger, sadness and frustration. "You might not want to talk to me right now."

**moved below**

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

::It had become late into the first watch when we had finally loaded the St. Kitts. The sea was calm and the night was still. many of the crewmen had gone back about their business and some were trying to sleep on deck. Each was waiting for the signal from our Quartermaster to trim the sails to catch the faint breath of wind.

The moon was full and as yellow as the coins that Mr. Lasseter had given me for our parley of the Dutch Captain. The sky was full of clouds scuttling across the sky, yet there wasn't the faintest breath of air in the harbor.

Eric Franklin was the first in the cutter. He haed positioned himself as to collect Scully as he was lowered into the St.Kitts. Both swivel guns had been lashed off so as to not make any noise echo across the inlet.

Mr.'s Styles and Brisbane were seated and ready to begin the short voyage to shore. Eric Franklin had cast off, and taken a seat with Mr. Tucker. All four began rowing as I had secured Captain Scully to the gunwale. Stuffing a small gag into his mouth, he simply breathed very shallow.

"We'll be rid o ya soon enough Dutchie."::

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

St. Kitts made fast work of the passage to shore. In the short journey's time, the Gascon conteplated the situation at hand in silence. The Quartermaster's instruction played the halls of mental corridors on a continuous loop, always pausing briefly upon the last query and statement involving Tudor Smith. The very idea of recent events involving the Petite Britanniquedrew forth a heavy breath of exaspiration.

As the launch was tied of at arrival of destination, Armand gained footing upon dock wooden plank and coversed softly with the man that had been assigned as his Second.

"Monsuier Pew, I shall go to the livery and arrange mounts for the venture. I think it is best that I obtain a carriage of closed nature in which to transport our...guest. There is no need for us to bring anymore attention to our party than what will be given as is. I will assume that all have knowldge in regard to handling a horse..." His sight cut to the company still within the launch then back. Two of the company shook their heads in negation. " Very well then...You gentleman shall accompany our guest for safe keeping in the chase. I shall arrange for a driver so that their is no complication in those matters."

The Gascon scanned the area in brief before speaking again, "Monsuier Pew, stay with the company until arrangements can be made, s'il vous plait. I should think I will not be overlong and shall speak with the gentleman who oversees this area of the harbour, he has done us service before and will ensure the safety of the launch in our absence."

The other man gave nod of agreement and Armand parted the small group's proximity to finalize the staging of arrangements.

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

She look ed up when he cleared his throat and shot him a look that was a cross between anger, sadness and frustration. "You might not want to talk to me right now."

:: Taking in a slow, deep breath, the QuarterMaster crossed his arms across his chest and looked at the overhead then back at Tudor...::

Aye... I may not want ta talk to ye... but I must.... I had thought ta send ye along ta help wi' Scully... even against th' wishes o' Armand... 'owever yer display o' temper bid me ta change me mind... I will say tha' yer display may 'ave earned ye some form o' respect from some o' th' crew... I dare say many will nay come within a boathook's reach o' ye fer fear o' yer wrath... But it instilled in me tha' yer lack o' discipline might be a detrament t' th' mission... t'would be a bad thing iffn' ye injured 'r killed someone whom needed ta be 'andled in a more, delicate fashion...

::He stood watching her reactions as he spoke... then shifted to another issue at hand....::

Now I do need someone I trust ta keep watch on 'r other 'guest', the ah, lady Ilex.... Iffn' I put 'er in yer care... I would not have issues if some new marks befell 'er person....

IF ye take this on, I would be most appreciative....

Another thing... had I known the particulars betwixt you an' Armand... Well... We shall discuss tha' when he returns....

::He stood in the doorway, waiting for her temper to either resume its flare, or to abait....::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

"Sir, if actually given the opportunity to be involved in any action you would send me on, the temper you saw displayed would have had no need to continue. Instead, as usual, I am kept on board and treated as an errand girl. But I have never been one to disobey an order, and I will do my duty to the best of my abilites." She paused, her gaze steely. "That being said, I question orders . . . and I think you are not using you resources to their best." She paused. "I will do as you request, I shall gaurd the lady . . . I wouldn't want you to question my discipline. Ghosts would come out of my past and haunt me if I ever was undisciplined to the point of being a detriement."

She paused again and gave the wall another kick. "As to Ar. . ." She couldn't bring herself to say his name. "as to the frenchman, I was more the ready to be proffessional, he's the one who drug emotions into it." Her eyes were blank

"Monsuier Pew, stay with the company until arrangements can be made, s'il vous plait. I should think I will not be overlong and shall speak with the gentleman who oversees this area of the harbour, he has done us service before and will ensure the safety of the launch in our absence."

"Aye, Mr. D'esnumbuc."

::We crouched in the shadows in anxious return of the Gascon. Looking at upon the harbor, lanterns flickered across the many ships at anchor much like the firefly's dancing upon the marsh at home. Thoughts of home once again flickered before me . . .::

:: Passing his hand across his face, Mr. Lasseter calmed himself before speaking....::

Well... indeed... let me point out yer folly, young Miss... Had you not reacted as a spoiled gerl, had you taken th' time ta see wot my orders were, instead o' goin' off on Armand... Mayhaps ye would be galavantin' off on shore...

I c'n understand yer feelin' as if yer not bein' used ta yer full worth... show me why I should trust ye not ta rush off ona fools errand, half cocked...

Now... If ye wish ta question my orders... Shall we put you in charge? Bein' th' Cap'n Steward I would think ye know how the runnin's o' th' ship be... please, be my guest...

::He tried to keep the sarcasm out of his voice, but knew he failed by the look on her face... He took a moment to gather his thoughts before continuing...::

Ye spake o' ghost from yer past... do not presume tha' ye be th' on'y one here wi' ghosts... Ye must make a choice... face 'em... or cow down to 'em....

Now... take a moment ta gather yerse'f... mayhaps iffn' ye show me a better side.... I'll see about expandin' yer duties.... when we get th' Cap'n back..... ah, hmmm... when... yes...

See you on deck....

::He back out of the comfines of her quarters and turned slowly... ::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"First of all sir - I don't see how my interactions with Armand sould have an impact on your regard for my behaviour or my capability as a memeber of this crew. It is an entirely seperate issue. And I expect it to be treated as such." She paused. "And although I will question any order I find lacking, it does not mean I would not obey it or that I assume to know better then my superiors. Mearly that I see a hole other may not see. And they only reason I brought up my ghosts is mearly to assure you that I was trained well and that my obedience will always be implicit." She paused once more. a resigned and tired look on her face. "Now sir, if you will point me in the direction of this Lady Ilex - I shall see to her."

At the turn of thirty minutes, Armand returned. Trying to convince the locals of needs to be attended to at this hour of day had proven an act of futility until the show of coin doubling the normal fees. A chase and four accompanied him, as well as enough mounts and men to hold them. Leaving them at the end of the shoreline, the Gascon returned to the small group waiting within St. Kitt's encompassment.

" Monsuier Pew, all is in order and the Harbour Master's grandson shall see to the launch. When Monsuier Lasseter and I made this trek it took around twenty minutes time, but that was just two riders. I expect it to be longer this time. If there is anything to address further, it should be done now before we depart overland."

" Monsuier Pew, all is in order and the Harbour Master's grandson shall see to the launch. When Monsuier Lasseter and I made this trek it took around twenty minutes time, but that was just two riders. I expect it to be longer this time. If there is anything to address further, it should be done now before we depart overland."

"Nay good sir. Eric and meself will be riden wit' our "package" as it were. The rest o' the men can follow."

Captain Scully was loaded quietly into the hired coach, though once inside, it could be said that he was seated rather roughly. Armand mounted up and waited patiently for the others to follow in turn. When all were at ready, he circled coach and company in quick inspection for old habits die hard. Finding satisfaction to observation, he reined his mount in next to the far coach door and leaned in the saddle to check on their guest. Nodding to Mister Pew, Armand rode to the front and signalled for departure.

The dinner was excellent and the family quite entertaining as well. I was treated to a fine faire of roasted pig with mango relish and roots capers and leafy greens from the island that had their own merit. Their name was the Ochoas, farmers and indians having been on the island for four generations they farmed the greens and roots here and have never known starvation. I too, learned the the island was without clergy for nineteen months. Three weddings were being planned and on hold, one of them was the wedding of their number two boy. A handsome lad and well built, Jason Emmanual was ready to take the marital plunge. I got up from the table walked over to him and slapped him adding get used to it! No, no I were just kidding, though I should have! I congratulated his mother and his father for raising such a nice young man and family and they told me of the pirates that come into port killing blowing things up in the village and rape and pillage their way up the streets and taking all the young men off with them out to sea. (I just figured out why I was invited to sup with them.) They told me how their oldest boy was killed by pirates adding as he was cut in half trying to save a young girl from being well being taken as well they said. I told them not any more! I was going to teach all the island how to fight how to stop any attack and hold ground and take the offense! When piratres came in to the port we will cut them down. Then the reputation on the seas will be stay away from San Pedro de Coche. Classes will begin on the morrow. With that I stood and after many wonderous thanks I attended to my travel back to the church. It was late and the moon was yellow hiding most of what stars were out tonight!

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

:: Stopping himself from his destination, he leveled his hazel eyes on Ms. Smith... his face a mask of stone...::

Captain's Steward Smith... your interactions wi' Armand are not what is at hand foremost... As a point of fact, he acted quite civily, whereas you acted rather impertently.... taking a private affair and displayin' it fer all ta see!

Again I shall point out that it is YOUR lack of control that has kept YOU from involvement in th' shore side action.... Instead o' waiting for my orders, ye make a fool outta yerself! Damnit gerl!

Yer actions disgrace whome'er it was tha' trained ye!

Yer a Steward... tha's wot yer signed on as... yer duties 'r ta keep th' Cap'n informed, bring 'im victuals, wait on 'is needs...

Ye been given great leeway.... bein' allowed ta waltz about wi' pistols thrust inta yer sash, on'y because ye proved yer worth... proved ye knew 'ow ta handle 'em properly...

Why is it as of late ye been provin' yerse'f unworthy o' such?

Damn luck ye find me in a goode mood....

Now, young Missy... keep yer gob shut.... think, an' I mean think hard on what 'as transpired...

Not a word more... off ye go...

::The Quartermaster stood holding the door open, waiting for Ms. Smith to head out...::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"My apologies if I have dissapointed sir." Tudor said quietly, then headed through the door the quatermaster held open. "I shall go see to my duties." She exited quickly, knowing her battle would not be won by continuing on. She left with an odd combination of emotions, ranging from rage to desolation. For the first time in a very long time, she hurt.

The worst part of the situation was that her whole stance had been misunderstood. It was never meant to be a 'private affair displayed for all to see' as the Quartermaster had put it. That had just been a slip of the toung in the heat of the argument. A very bad slip, but a slip none the less. All she had meant to accoplish was to demand a little respect from her fellow crew member. All she had accomplished was to lose the respect of her superior. Somehow it had turned into a bizarre lover's spat. All she had been asking for was a little respect, and all she had recived was dissappointment and anger.

She wondered if it would be any diffrent if she had been a man. If she had been, Armand would have called her out, and maybe then she could have proved to him that she was more then capable of handling herself. Maybe then Mr. Lasseter would have thought diffrently of her anger, if she had been just another crew memeber taking umbridge at a fellow crew member of the same rank giving her orders.

Where was his guilt in all this? Where was the reprimanding of Armand for assuming to give orders to some one equal to him in rank? She doubted that would ever happen. In the end she knew he was being galant . . . but she didn't want his protection - she wanted his respect. And if she had wounded his overblown sense of dignity - then she was mearly bring him down to where she was in his. She wasn't some noblewoman who needed to be mollycoddled and protected. And she wanted to smack him again for his galant patronising of her, thinking that is was so.

All these thoughts ran amuck in her head as she walked the corridors. She took a deep breath as she paused infront of the room where Ilex was being confined. "Damage control . . ." She mumbled to herself before entering the room.

It was a brief journey to pass through and out of the borders of town. Though salt still tinged the air heavily, it was the scent of foliage that compeated for its rule of nasal passages now. The roll of wave claiming shoreline became muted then replaced by the symphony of cicadas and various other night denizens ruling the country surround. The small company turned upon the road with was roofed by tree overhang, the rich greens now shades of black and shadows in existance. In the near distance, the flicker of lamps could be seen as an announcement to the hacienda's being.

As the lamps became more than just a twinkle, Armand broke rank from lead and leaned once again to the coach door, speaking quietly to its' occupants.

"Monsuier Pew, it would be best if the coach were halted soon. I shall approach the gate alone for I wish to raise no alarm to the Don. If you wish to accompany me within the grounds, you shall have to mount up and hold your manner with the strictest of propriety. Do not speak unless addessed, this is a touchy matter and the Don may not be pleased with the blatant abuse of his invitation."

"Monsuier Pew, it would be best if the coach were halted soon. I shall approach the gate alone for I wish to raise no alarm to the Don. If you wish to accompany me within the grounds, you shall have to mount up and hold your manner with the strictest of propriety. Do not speak unless addessed, this is a touchy matter and the Don may not be pleased with the blatant abuse of his invitation."

"Mr. D'esnumbuc, Armand if'n ye please," I waited for a slight nod to acknowledge the lessened formalities.

Armand nodded and I continued, "Mate . . .well . . .I grew up on a farm, but ne'er did get along wit da ponies. I be wishin' to join ye with the Don, but would be so inclined to walk up there meself, if'n ye think it be within the bounds . . ."

::Once Ms. Smith had made her exit, Dorian slowly closed the door to her quarters, turned on his heel and headed aft to his quarters. He sat on the small chair within, fished out his keys to his chest, opened it and felt for the bottle of fine irish spirits, only to realize he had left it in the Surgeon's care... Smiling he shut and locked the chest, stood and made his way to the Surgeon's ward... knocking briskly on the door, he waited for a response...::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"Mr. D'esnumbuc, Armand if'n ye please," I waited for a slight nod to acknowledge the lessened formalities.

Armand nodded and I continued, "Mate . . .well . . .I grew up on a farm, but ne'er did get along wit da ponies. I be wishin' to join ye with the Don, but would be so inclined to walk up there meself, if'n ye think it be within the bounds . . ."

The easy smile rolled over Armand's features, it was hard for one conditioned in the saddle for years to think that such a thing could exist. Never the less, the Gascon was not of condisending nature and would never think a man lesser for lacking equine amicabilities.

" Very well, monsuier. When we reach the bend up further and halt the rest of the company's movement, I shall dismount and we shall proceed to the gates afoot. If there is need for sudden departure, you shall have to ride double. I have had to do such in the past."

The Surgery currently only contained its' Mistress. After tending to the Master at Arms' injury, Tempest had sent him on to his private chambers. Jack was well aware of the drill and she saw no need to confine him here when it would be more comforting there. Later she would check in on him and he had promised to send word of any difficulties.

Pausing mid-sip of cognac fire, she glanced to the door and its' unseen caller. Setting the crystal container down, the deep green eyes narrowed momentarily in response to what tragedy could be awaiting the darkened passage on the other side. Staightening her posture she called for enterance.

" only moments after his knock, the lilting reply of the Surgeon's voice is heard...::

"Entre Vous..."

::Dorian unsecured the latch and opened the door, revealing the seatid form of Ms. Fitzgerald in the empty ward...::

I ain't disturbin' ye at th' late hour,am I? Just came by ta relieve ye o' wot I left in yer keepin'... *chuckle* wish I 'ad another bottle tucked away...

Ah.... may I sit wi' ye?

:: She nodded her assent and he pulled the small stool up to the side of her desk...::

Seems Armand n' Tudor... well... from wot I gather... they had a roll...

As ye know, I sent Armand off as a diplomat... along wi' some o' th' lads ta handle Scully.... Ms. Smith... Oh bloody hell...

::He took the bottle, unstoppered it and up turned it to his mouth, gulped twice, brought it away and thrust the cork in place...::

Damn she c'n give me a headache...

Right... tis done wi'... care ta take in some air on deck? Rain's gone... slight breeze... warm enough...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Tempest considered his words, well aware of the bit of splendor in the grass that had transpired. She also knew that Armand had been in a manner of irritation when visiting the Surgery before leaving. She did not pry and he had not offered information, truths would be told later.

Tempest watched carefully the bearing of her companion; knowing a burden lay heavily upon the Quartermaster's shoulders due to the abrupt circumstances that had unfolded. Keeping her peace until he finished speaking, the green focus caught his of hazal briefly before she commented.

" Perhaps a visit to open air would be a nice change. I should be pleased with your company."