Pyrates of the West Coast

Tempest gaged the Captain's quip of humor and replied calmly,

" A wise man once said that there are more things in heaven and on earth..." She chuckled. "Non...I am far from being a ambassador of Spain. I find that their company can be most tedious to endure."

With the announcement of name, she and the Gascon exchanged glances in silence.

"Do tell, sir...Just how much experience do you have in the means of courtly presentation and protocal with the Spaniards...or in this case, Castillians?"

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Little."

William did not expound. He didn't have to. It was as definitive a word as he could find to explain his limited experience in the Spanish court. He had no real understanding of Castillians beyond hearsay and third party anecdotes. He had known his share of Spaniards, and those he had known were not what he would call tedious, but court was always another matter. The upper crust of any society was tedious to William since he had never believed in classes or nobilities.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpg

Tempest gaged what was said and what was not, taking a sample of the pungent spirit of Erin origin, she considered next statement with care.

" Then it is of my advice to you, sir...That when you decide to aproach said individual that you allow me to assist...Armand is...familiar with said virtues and should be sent with the given dispatch ahead of your announcement."

Sampling again, she waited for William's respone and reaction.

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

:: the QuarterMaster, now left on deck, headed to the binnacle, checked the log, seeing that all was well he stepped back to the starboard stern lantern and leaned his back against the rail... looking forward in the dim light, he studied the wrkings of the ship with all his senses.... the roll of the deck, the sounds of the sails and rigging the smell of the ship and sea around him...

His hand fell upon the pocket of his wesket, where he had forgotten that he had placed his pipe and tobacco earlier...::

Aye... a goode time as any...

::pulling the pouch and pipe out, he first pulled his left arm out of the sling, slowly testing the boundaries of movement. satisfied, he used both hands to go about packing the bowl, and used the lantern to light the pungent mixture...::

*draw........puff* Ahhhh.... luvly... indeed...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Tempest gaged what was said and what was not, taking a sample of the pungent spirit of Erin origin, she considered next statement with care.

" Then it is of my advice to you, sir...That when you decide to aproach said individual that you allow me to assist...Armand is...familiar with said virtues and should be sent with the given dispatch ahead of your announcement."

Sampling again, she waited for William's respone and reaction.

"I except, and with gratitude. Any assistance that you may offer would be greatly appreciated. I shall send Armand with the first landing of the cutter."

William Refilled their glasses and toasted their good health. When they were finished, he ordered them to their beds for the rest needed in preparation of long days and 'tedious' matters.

She was a bit suprised at William's easy acceptance of proposal, but then again, there was no past issue that would force his trust otherwise. It never failed to amaze her that he never questioned overmuch the workings that lay shrouded in enigma, but it was with an amount of relief that prod and deep delvings were left untouched.

Accepting his reasoning of rest and the toasting of health, Tempest gave a small bob of nod in accord.

" As you wish, sir...We shall accommodate and make ready what needs be prepared."

Setting the emptied glass on table surface, echoing Armand's own, she bade William good eve and they broke company.

::Scribbling in the ships log

"Latitude north 10º 51' 50" to 10º 11' 06"

Longitude north 63º 46' 40" to 64º 24' 32""

Going to the gunwale back topside I take out my eyeglass and look out over the shallowing sea. I can see two forts beginning to appear in the distance. A voice from behind me me utters "CASTILLO DE SANTA ROSA and CASTILLO DE SAN CARLOS DE BORROMEO, lad" I turn to see Nigel now standing next to me with his boot on the railing, "'Tis been awhile since I been 'ere." I begin to ask him all sorts of questions about the islands and the people ashore, also if it's true about the rumors of the wealth stored here by previous privateers. "Always someone 'bouts knowin' sometin' bouts' someone else's gold, eh lad? I be 'earing' all 'bouts the stories too. Maybe we be takin' a looksee for ourselves eh?"::

::I shove my eyeglass back in me breeches and head back to the wardroom below I seek to find the other islands in an about in and abouts this part of the Caribe. As I write in the ships log, I make certain notations as to areas where the Watch Dog may put in to unannounced weather or an unpleasant Spanish disposition. Drawing a large X on the leeward side of both Cubagua Isle and Coche Isle, I make sure to have the Mr Warren and the Captain aware of our alternatives . . . ::

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

Making my way to the blacksmith's workroom, I thinks to meself, "Well, now is as good 'a time as any, I thinks I should find Mr Hawks and talk to him about those plans I gave him a while back. It would be wonderful to be able to create such a masterpiece together. " I am joined by Mr St Anthony just as I knock on Mr Hawks door.

Mr Hawks is busy forging some other things for the ship to keep as stock in case they are needed. he doesnt hear the knock at the door over his pounding. After a few moments, the knock becomes a loud pounding. Jonathan stops and listens.

"Come on if i'fn yas can take the heat who e're ya be"

He then continues his work.

Shoots anything that moves!!

Mr Anthony opens the door and we both step inside. Indeed the temperature far exceeds what it was above deck. Mr Hawks greets us both. Since Mr Anthony has such a large weapon in his hands, I rest on a nearby stool and let the two men talk shop while I play with me flute.

after the likes of such a long day caught up to me I was still in the galley cleaning down all the spatter from the tub of stew splashing about. I was into my third pint of ale and realized I hadn't eaten any late supper after me dogwatches. Three pints on an empty stomach? I wouldn't have known mass from confession..... I went to bed

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

Mr Anthony opens the door and we both step inside. Indeed the temperature far exceeds what it was above deck. Mr Hawks greets us both. Since Mr Anthony has such a large weapon in his hands, I rest on a nearby stool and let the two men talk shop while I play with me flute.

"Good day Mr Anthony. That be quite a blade ya aves thar. Ana ya say ya want a good sharp edge. Well, leave it o'r thar againt that wall. I will get it done fer ya afor dinner. Avs just a few things ta finish first. I'll make sure ta get Rummy later ta tell ya when it be finished. Ana i'fn ya want, wipe yer forehead wit one o me rags o'r thar. I sees ya sweatin from the heat e're. Rummy, ya plays a fyne tune ya do. I be gettin in tough later wit ya bout Mr Anthony's steel. It will get me away ta be on deck coolin off meself. One doesn't guite get used to it. But fer the most part, it aint bad in e're. I thank ya both fer the company."

Jonathan winks at Rummy and then turns to continuing with his hammer on steel while Rummy's flute music fade away as the door closes.

Shoots anything that moves!!

July 4th In The Year Of Our Lord 1704

Morning/ Forenoon Watch ( 4AM- Noon )

As the ship's bell gave anouncement of sixth hour of the new day, Tempest sat with morning ritual of China pot content; watching with barely concealed amusement as her brother / "steward" gave meticulous attention to chosen adornments. There was no mistaking the strike of anticipation and the glint of fire which danced the normal calm of cool grey vision.

Whether Armand would ever admit it out loud or not, the fact was that the young Gascon thrived within the company of the "upper class". It was not that he was presumptuous or trite in any manner, but grand balls, finery and the company of elevated maidens, had never ceased to draw his attention to finite focus. Spanish port gave no bearing to Armand's mind, the opportunity in which to show himself for part of what he truly was made him stand a bit taller and the easy smile lit his features with the power of noon sun.

She watched as he stood back from the coat of steel blue hue, hesitating in the action of methodical brushing, to inspect its' presentation. Even in dim lumination, the intricat designs of leaf and vine embroidered facings made one draw a pause in breath, the matching waist coat only added to said reaction. Seeming pleased with careful administrations, Armand stepped over to sample from neglected China cup and caught a glimpes of her expression.

"Que?" He asked innocently.

Tempest chuckled underbreath, " Tu, mon cher...."

"Moi?" Armand's brow crinkled in question.

"Paon..." She stated, the rest cut short by a peal of laughter she could no longer control.

...Waking to the sound of morning bell, I tries to unscramble me thoughts and thinks outloud to meself, " or were those deams?. I best be payin the Monsignor a visit and ask him for penance. 'Twould be a good thing to have a cleansed soul before we make it to port. Ah! and I must be following-up with Mr Hawks this day to retrieve the claymore for Mr St Anthony. A busy day today will be, a busy day indeed..."

William awoke during the sounding of the sixth bell and quickly dressed. He stood over the sleeping Ajayi for a time, perplexed as what to do with the sleeping giant. Ajayi had made a place for himself right in front of the ward room door. He was forced to step over him to gain the companionway.

The Captain made his way to the galley where he greeted Constance and the Monsignor. They sent him forward fed and ready to begin the tasks of testing new waters, both political and actual.

Sixth bell and I've been here frying up the pork strips and making this souflet dish using the rest of the onion, chiles and a little salt and pepper I mashed the slowly cooked yet still runny scrambled eggs into a pastry shell. I put it in the oven for a short time and it rose up over the top but stopped as it rolled over the edge of the crust. I removed and made ready the second dish waiting for the firsts consumption completion. Coffe was on and it weren't light out yet figured the crew'd be up and about shortly. Cacao leaves and me last half vanilla bean I were mixing in the powder fer the mornings brew when in came Rummy Aye lass I were hoping you might come and play a soft song to brighten this day with your cheer. Here (offering up the first plate of me egg dish) tis me new concoction and I would most humbly appreciate yer honesty as to it's resolve? Grammercy

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

The sun on the water is bright when William reaches the quarterdeck. La Margarita can be seen just off the Larboard bow and there can be no mistaking the two fortifications there for mere rocky outcroppings. Several large ships are at anchor and not a few dozen fishing boats mill about near the docks. There is a liveliness to the port they haven't enjoyed for weeks.

"Mister Pew! The lead if you please!"

William takes out his spyglass and makes note of those ships at anchor and of their armaments.

"A great many sails." He says to no one in particular. "Mister Youngblood. I should like to have a third of your gun grew on the gundeck."

::The dawning of the new day finds the Quartermaster making homself presentable for the day, a shave, a clean body, and a fresh set of clothes, with the addition of all his weaponry, he looked a fine sight. His arm was still healing, but the wound was only noticed if it were brushed up against, or a quick movement were to be made, otherwise it affected him not. He pushed his tricorn onto his head, adjusted it to his liking and set off for the galley, got himself a ships biscuit and a wedge of cheese, along with hot tea, and off to the quarterdeck he went. As his head came even with the quarterdeck, he saw the Captain peering ashore through his glass. He approached...::

Mornin' Cap'n... fine day comin' 'round... I prey ye be well...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

"Thank you, Mister Lasseter." William said, not taking his eye from the glass. "I am very well indeed. I have a dispatch to be taken to the Spanish before I can proceed with any other plans. Armand has kindly offered his services in our regard and I am inclined to take him up on his offer."

William leveled his spyglass at each fort for a time before continuing.

"I wonder if you wouldn't like a trip ashore. It is fine weather for a cutter voyage."

:: Knowing full well that plans to trade the Dutch captain in their hold to the Spanish for certain liberties was at hand, he nodded...::

Aye Cap'n... I'll be 'appy ta take our "Diplomatic Messenger" ta shore... How heavily armed would ye like th' cutter crew?

::His question was asked out of courtesy, knowing that the crew would be armed fully, but the arms would be hidden in the bottom of the cutter until needed...::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"Armed enough to look official. Blades and a simple arms for each man. Take Mister Warren with you when you go. I should like him to make observations on the depth and materials that comprise this port. I would very much like to verify my limited information on La Margarita. The charts are frightfully poor in regards to the reefs and perils of the area, if there be any."

William folded up his spyglass and stood awhile in thought, his hands behind his back. He paced the quarterdeck for several minutes while Mister Lasseter made recommendations on those men who should go. William simply nodded at each name suggested.

"When your courtly matters are finished, please see to those market houses that will buy the Danzig goods."

Aya, aye... ten men, Mr. Warren, Myself and Armand... I 'ope ta be back b'fore nightfall....

::With his usual salute of knuckling his forehead, the QuarterMaster turned and headed off the quarterdeck, giving orders to sway out and make ready the cutter, orders for Mr. St. Anthony to provide a cutlass pistol and musket to each man in the cutter. He also gave orders for Mr. Youngblood to shift the two swivel guns from the St. Kitt (longboat) onto the cutter until more can be procured to arm her out properly... He made his way below, seeking out Armand in the sick ward...::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

bright sun and blue skies were the welcome to going above. The captain lookin through 'is brings 'em near and our quartemaster were talking. I pulled up short not to interupt. Having seen our port was soon to be close as could be I made a reverse order and went below to change into my robes.

"Mister Pew! The lead if you please!"

Aye, aye Cap'n!!

::Our speed has greatly reduced since we have come closer to La Margarita. I finish taking depth soundings from the starboard gunwale and find the sea bottom is 2.5 fathoms below us. Securing the gear on the deck, I head to the helm to steer the Watch Dog South into La Margarita.::

Beggin' yer pahdon Cap'n, sah. . .

I found this 'ere chart stashed amon'st the papers from the Dutchie Trader. Wouldst it be 'elpin us a wee bit sah?

15440-01.jpg

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."