Pyrates of the West Coast

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Gascon had noticed the Captain's approach, Tempest had not, and what seemed a sudden disruption to the calm of rigging song and water's rapid coursing below, gave her start and she spun on heel to focus it's origin. Gaining composure she smiled in greeting.

"Good day to you, sir. I see you are well this morning. I am well and I thank you for your concern. Mister Gage seems to be stable, we shall see what the days ahead bring."

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

"And are the others still well? Miss Wardell and Ajayi, are they..." he began, but noticing Miss Wardell in company with the ship's carpenter, he began a new tack.

"Do you think they are fit for any active work aboard? Miss Wardell expressed a somewhat hasty request to remain with us. I should rather prefer working guests to passengers, but I will wait on your word...if you think waiting is in order."

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpg

She considered what was asked carefully before offering a respons. Armand stood a bit straighter, uncomfortable to be caught in a guise of undress in the presence of an officer.

"I believe that I can grant release to Ajayi and Miss Wardell with clear conscience...Though, I would encourage light duty in view of nutritional defficencies. That will remedy itself in time."

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

"Thank you, Doctor. I will use all my good judgement then on this matter."

The Captain made his way over to where Rummy and Meg were speaking. He waited until a polite silence came into their conversation before inviting Miss Wardell to speak with him in the ward room.

The continuing melodies of the two ladies on main deck were carrying on in the wind as I said Yes sir and made my departure. I went daown to the galley and the one remaining sheepherders pie a cup of hot coffee I went into the hold where it was I found the prisoner sitting tall and respectable and handed his meal to him. He uttered something I bowed and turned to depart when he said "father" I turned my face beckoning his call to address further.... He said what is to become of me? I made short work of his answer by saying everything and more than you deserve. I left

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

"I have given your request to remain on the Watch Dog some thought. I have no reason to deny such a request, as the Warrington Hart and its purposes are at the bottom of the sea. In a year's time, it will be rumored in England that none of the Warrington's crew survived. You are reborn...

...and in the companionship of Lazarus no less."

William went to one of several sea trunks and rifled through it for papers. He drew out a folded sheet of paper and returning to the table, he spread it out, revealing his features and the money offered for them. He let her peruse the document while he continued.

"Now you must decide what you would like to do in light of this alteration in your understanding. If I am found and captured alive, I will be hanged. If you and this good crew are found with me, you will all be hanged."

William stood behind the table. His expression was one of quiet cordiality as he stood there, hands behind his back. Apart from the absence of his coat and hat, the likeness seemed to be of him. The artist who had recreated him for the wanted poster was biased in his subject matter, so that William Brand was drawn with a sneer and a countenance of anger, but the height and bearing of the man wasn't all too different.

"You may have more time to think on this matter if you wish."

Meg studied the poster and the face of the man before her.

Her mind flooded with thoughts. If she decided to go on with her indenture, she would at least be guaranteed a bit of land in the end. Should she sign on with the Watch Dog, she would most certainly live the adventurous life she longed for.

She took a deep breath and firmly replied, "Sir, my request still stands."

William nodded. He didn't say anything. He just nodded.

"I can't believe that you came aboard with any goods or arms, but nevertheless, please report to Mister St. Anthony and make him aware that you are joining the crew. Declare to him any arms or lack thereof so that he can make a note of it for the future.

Once you have done this, report to Mister Lasseter when he is on duty next. He should like to know what skills you have and where you are best suited to do what duty you may aboard this ship."

William paused and looked long and hard at Miss Wardell. He studied her until he was quite certain he had made her uncomfortable in the process. Still he studied her, saying nothing. He continued in this fashion well past the point that most people could have stood such a silence, then he dismissed her.

"Welcome aboard the Watch Dog, Miss Wardell. That is all."

:: slowly Mr. Lasseter drifts out of sleeps embrace... bringing traces of dream with him...::

Aye, Luv.... I do fancy a ro---

*blink, blink*

Ah hmmm... not where I thought I was...

::He started to sit up and his head spins...::

Owww.... oh... too fast, much to fast...

::slowly, very slowly he brings himself into an upright sitting position, looks about the ward, seeing two others there, the lager nubian and the man called Gage... he continue looking about, seeing his sword and baldric hanging on the bulkhead next to his wesket, and his pistols lying on the well used desk next to a bottle of Cognac...::

Ah.... there be th' mad elixer.... me 'ead....

::he slides off the edge and brings himself erect, takes the two steps over to the desk and reaches out, picking up the bottle. He tilts it to the side, gleening the amount of liquid still in its keep...::

Hmm... plenty.... wee 'hair o' th dog'...

:: he brought his left hand up to uncork the bottle, but stopped as his eyes went wide..::

Oh...Oh... bloody hell... I think I gonne not use me arm just yet... whew....

:: bringing the bottle to his mouth, he pulled the cork with his teeth, dropped it onto the desk and upturned the bottle to his mouth, taking three swallows of the fine brandy was enough... tilting the bottle down, he placed it on the desk, picked up the cork and shoved it in place...::

Mmmmmmmm..... I feel better a'ready.... I believe I need ta be topside....

:: he turned and stepped over to his possibles, carefully donned his wesket over his bare chest, slid the baldric in place and finally pushed his pistols into his belt... ::

Ah, much better... mayhaps I'll get another shirt later... goode thing tha' was me oldest... not yet ready ta be turned ta polishin' rags... well, tis now... so be it... Mayhaps I'll 'ave a word wi' Tempest, thank 'er fer the fine work... aye....

::he headed out of the ward, up the main scuttle, carefully... makeing the deck he winced at the bright light, wishing he had stopped to gather his hat... he pushed on though... rubbing his face with his right hand til he could see better, then walking across the deck he greeted whatever crew might be about... he noticed a lad wearing only breeches standing by the rail, then noticed the Surgeon next to him, so up he walked, giving greetings...::

Aye Tempest.... my most 'umble thanks fer yer fine work on me arm.... an th' spirits ta keep th' aches at bay.... Oh... Armand... ain't this a sight... tho I c'n say th' sun feels goode on th' bare skin, aye.... Ye should try it sometime Lass...

::He grinned and chuckled, wincing from the shot of pain through his arm, but continued with his mirth....::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Armand tried to supress a smile at catching the underlying meaning to the Quartermaster's statement. Steeling his expression the Gascon remarked.

" Oui, it does bring some comfort...but, I should go below and dress. I have already been caught by the Capitaine in my state of dissaray. You will pardon me?"

A quick glance to the Surgeon, the fleet of knowing smile to Dorian and Armand left their company. Tempest noticed Dorian's wince and looking to his eyes briefly, attempted off hand comment.

" I am sure that suturing will do you good service, though I encourage that you return with me below so that I might fashion a temporary sling. Doing so would keep movement somewhat limited and lessen the chances of agrivation."

What she allowed to view on the outside was a picture of calm, inside was another story.

July 2 In The Year Of Our Lord 1704

Afternoon / First Dog / Second Dog Watch (12 PM - 8 PM)

Marie-Galante

There was a comfortable breeze that flowed through the simple confine of local inn and drinking establishment. The atmosphere was pleasing and the proprietor always more than accomodating to the needs of those who crossed the thresh hold. A waft of country fare lingered the air, drifting from a kitchen located to the rear of the establishment, carefully tended by the Inn Keeper's daughter, who's manner and physical endowments more than made up for anything else that was lacking.

In the far right corner, within the shroud of dimmed shadows brought forth by lack of lantern's presence, two men occupied rough hewn table and conversed quietly. The location offered a undisturbed view of front enterance, the glare of sunlight outside always causing any new guest to pause to the inner sanctum's dim. This could be an advantage to those already within...and a disadvantage to arrivals being forced to allow visual adjustment.

Conversation halted to the proprietor's rotund appearance at table's edge and delivery of next bottle.

"Pardon, Capitaine...Your rooms above are ready as you requested. Louisse will have your meal ready very shortly."

"Merci beaucoupe, monsuier...You are too kind."

"Non Capitaine, you honour our humble offerings with your presence."

The Inn Keeper backed up three paces and gave a small bow before turning and moving towards the kitchen.

William walked the companionway, the gundeck and the lower holds. He noted the care with which the crew stored their things. No hammocks or possibles left about.

"Mister Lasseter runs a tight ship."

He made his way back to the gundeck, taking time to inspect each gun. Every gun was clean, bound and ready for service. All were in tip top shape and he gave a smile and a nod to the Master Gunner.

He noted that the cutter was undergoing small repairs and there he learned that the Quartermaster had been injured in his return to the ship.

"This explains his long absence from the quarterdeck."

William went below to find the Quartermaster.

William made his way through the lower regions of the frigate, never a moment of hesitation in greeting and offer of kind wordings to those he passed. First checking the Quartermaster's cabin and not finding success to his quest, the Captain continued on and was informed by a passing foremast Jack, that Dorian could be found in the Sick Ward.

As common to his nature, a soft rap was given to the ajar oaken door before entering. The man Gage was conscience and being aided in the consumption of broth by Armand. Near the desk sat the Quartermaster, being fitted with a simple sling by the Surgeon. Warm greetings were exchanged and William stepped to the castaway's side asking of Lazarus' well being and offered words of encouragement. Gage was slowly putting on weight and stregnth was returning, he thanked the Captain for his concern and hospitality.

Nodding to Armand, William begged leave and approached the other two in Ward's small confine. The conversation that insued involved incidents placing Dorian in current state and request of evaluation regarding what duties could and could not be performed. Tempest related the level of restrictions that should be followed, in regard to overseeing a stand of watch duty that there should be no issue; though she wished that the Quartermaster not have to stand duty this day.

William thanked them for their time and pausing to wish Mister Gage well once again, left the sick berth to handle matters of the frigate's daily function.

Jack walks to the aft end of the main deck, where he sees Kendra busily mending sailcloth. She peeks at him from beneath her hat, and quickly returns her eyes to her work. He smiles, and sits beside her.

"Aye, lass... It would seem that our speed makes ill use of our canvas, eh? The price of efficiency, I suppose."

He pauses, admiring the spiderwebs of sheets and shrouds, all working to contain the billowing canvas propelling them ever onward.

"By the way; that pistol I provided you with is now under your name. You have special dispensation to carry it as you deem necessary. I'll not have you feeling in want of ready defense."

Jack smiled warmly at Kendra as he leaned upon his walking stick.

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

Marie Galante

L'Majestueux Noir Chien Courant

With meal finished, the two men had retired to the hired rooms on the inn's second floor. Occupying the meager table that the room provided, one sat silently as the other looked over a series of documents arranged upon the squalid surface. Pausing to gain a draught from the heavy tankard nearby, the younger of the two looked to the elder.

" You say these conditions are guaranteed, should I accept? I have always trusted your judgment, but do you trust the word of a gouverneur, Fracois? I have been played puppet enough in having to deal with that clod Garavaque."

Moreau leaned back to the chair's protest of wood creak. " Monsuier Laurent has spoken of the man's virtues and I trust what he says. I doubt that he would place any trust or be willing to deal with the man otherwise. I would take that offer gladly, but I am getting too old for a young man's game. I find that an occasional outing for pleasure is appealing, and being back in port and in the deep sink of feather matteress every night even more so....Besides, you have said on many a meeting that you grow weary of what the service is becoming, mon jeune ami."

Fournier purused the documents a second time, intermitantly sampling the tankard's content. His brow furrowed as he read one of the sections he had missed upon the first survey. Looking across the table, index finger stabbing the text on parchement's surface.

"Qui? Par exemple?! He expects me to agree to such a condition?..."

The Elder knew exactly what was being questioned and had expected the reaction he was now in witness to. Sighing heavily, Moreau reached to refill his tankard.

" It is not that bad, Jean...Agreement would mean complete immunity backed by the Dauphin, a new ship, generous payment for your services, choice in hands to crew, freedom to go where you please... for the most part." Moreau paused to drink, " And I have seen the property and chateau that the Maquis is offering. The dwelling is not excessively large, but none too small either."

Fournier scrutinized his companion, " You have seen the ship?"

" Oui...I was consulted on some of Her construction. She is weatherly, swift and has an impressive compliment of guns...I think you would approve."

Jean-Micheale contemplated the proposition carefully before giving any reply.

" I wish to consider this overnight, mon ami. I do know this as it stands, though...If I were to accept said offer, I will expect thus at the very least, on top of the current proposition..."

:: The Captain left the sick ward, allowing the Surgeon to finish up securing the sling on the Quartermaster's arm, giving him leave from duties for a day...::

Thankee Lass... I think... so, this'll help me arm ta heal... keep me from usin' it, aye?

:: She looked him in the eyes with a particular look that said "don't undo all that I have done by being blaze' with your health..." ::

Not ta worry... I's gonna follow m'Doctor's orders..... take some ease... mayhaps ye c'n join me later... an' I'll share a dram o' me private bottle, as ye were so kind ta do fer me last eve...

:: he arched an eyebrow as a hint of a smile crossed his face ::

I shall leave ye ta yer work... fer now... I be in me cabin 'r topside on th' quarter... leavin' the work ta others as ye ordered...

::he have her a fine grin, nodded to Armand and Mr. Gage, then made his way from the sick ward and to his quarters. He entered and sat on the chair, pulled the pistols from his belt, laying them on the deskshelf. opening his chest, he found the box of cleaning tools. Opening the box on his lap, he drew forth each item, placing it on the desk beside the weapons. then with some difficulty, started to disassemble each and clean them....

Once finished with the pistols, he turned to each sword in his posession, checked any rust and returned them to their place of rest...::

Nuff o' tha'.... Hmm.... lesse who be topside...

::leaving the box of cleaning tools on the desk, he then found his pipe and tobacco, tucked them into his wesket pocket and headed to the deck...::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

::Watching land grow increasing closer, I continue to take depth soundings as we navigate our way in to port. Time to time Mr. Warren allows me to take the helm in increasing shallower waters so as to perfect my craft of navigation should the time arise for a quick departure from Margarita. Speaking with the Captain in quarters he allows me perusal of what charts we have of these waters. Taking notes and making marks as to shoals, shallows and reefs abound I head back topside and make the notes for Mr. Warren. Giving me back the helm I watch as the sails luff from time to time; I correct our heading so as to make the most speedy arrival into the island port::

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

July 3rd In The Year of Our Lord 1704

Middle Watch ( 12AM - 4AM)

One watch became another and the ever dilligent ship's bell anounced that the Midnight hour had come to be. The sick berth, being close to vacant, had resumed its stuffy tranquil state; Armand had returned to the salt kissed air of upper deck, which left only Mister Gage and the Surgeon in occupation to the room.

With the finish of Medical Log update, Tempest checked upon her only charge and found that Lazarus was sleeping comfortably to the gentle sway of cot. His face was beginning to show traces of constitution in the upswing and this gave her a feeling of greatened relief. Perhaps in the week to come, he would be allowed some very mild mobility.

Returning to the well worn desk, her eyes were draw to the spirit container waiting patiently to be returned to the secured chest within her cabin. This, in turn, made her mind shift to the Quartermaster's offer earlier in the evening. Tempest debated the proposition, weighing this and that before deeming her quandry rediculous, and that it was only a proffering of gratitude and fellowship on Dorian's part. Then she recalled the "qualities" of the poitin that he had in possesion and cringed inwardly, well remebering the last encounter with it. Her Gran' Da used to love a bumper of " the rare auld Mountain Dew", but, she doubted that he had ever gone so far as to chase a day of wine consumption with it.

Putting the issue to rest, the Surgeon took into grasp the remains of the cocnac and an accompanying tin cup. Arriving at the semi-familliar door, she paused to knock lightly and gained admittance to inner shrine. Dorian's smile gave mimic to that of infamous Cheshire origin felines as he stood in welcome. The small plank surface acting as desk, displayed a menagerie of various objects laid out for tinkering. Her line of sight cut from him to the half hidden projects and back.

" I thought I might take you up on earlier offer...But, it appears that you are occupied at the moment and I have no desire to disrupt you from your focus of intent."

Tempest backed a pace and made motion to grasp the small catch which held the door to. The Quartermaster shook head in negation to the statement, offering the chair that she had known none to far in the past. With a pause of hesitation, she took the seating with a word of thanks. Dorian's smile broadened and he repeated the movements of unlock and withdrawl of the darkened glass bottle from the depths of sea chest with a wink. The Surgeon gave the vessel a coupe d'oeil, raising a hand to ware off.

" I thank you whole hearted for your willingness to share of the poteen , but I fear that my father's blood over rules my mother's when it comes to spirits...I must beg off and think it would be best for me to stay with the cognac."

He cocked a brow, the glint of mischievous humor fleeting expression as he uncorked the bottle. Closing the chest, Dorian sat down upon the scarred and sturdy lid to face her.

Middle Watch - Four bells...

The Captain sat at the ward room table cleaning and sharpening his mortuary sword and cutlass. They lay on the table along with a sailor's knife and wicked, curved blade of unidentifiable origin. The Captain was just finishing the edge on the cutlass when an unexpected guest entered the room. William looked up, expecting to see Miss Smith, but finding Ajayi Abiodun. To say the man filled the door frame understated his size. He spilled over. He scraped the ceiling.

"Ajayi..." William said with surprise and a nod.

"Ahmar." Ajayi returned, but with a tone that was unsure. William nodded again.

William watched him as his eyes moved about the room once and then back to him. The man's face changed very little, if at all. He had a stony bearing. William noted that his eyes fell on the table and the weapons there more than once.

Ajayi came forward and picked up the mortuary sword. He did this in a casual way and the sword looked suddenly smaller in the large man's hands. The man held it out sideways and suddenly the man was a alive with words. His voice was strong and his tone might have been angry, but William didn't think so.

William just listened quietly during the animated barrage of words. When Ajayi was finished, he stood quietly. William waited for a moment. Then he stood.

"I am William Brand, Captain of the Watch Dog. I have seen fire, battle and storms. I have escaped imprisonment, cheated death, and outlived my enemies. I am no man's dog. They call me Red Wake, for in my days I have left a bloody stain in my path. I am Ahmar Mahdi. I have been an executioner, a reaper and a death sentence to those betrayers foolish enough to cross me in my journey. I have walked the halls of royalty and poverty. I am the finished work of no one's effort but my own."

William fell silent. Ajayi nodded. It was true that neither of them had understood the words of the other, but William had learned that there was often more to be understood in bearing than words. He was fairly certain that Ajayi had said similar things of himself.

Ajayi grinned then. It was a good smile, filled with brilliant and winning teeth. His eyes looked wild and happy at the same time. William realized he was smiling back. He grabbed up a bottle and drawing the cork out with his teeth, he drank and passed the bottle to Ajayi.

William came around the table and was about to say more, when a polite, but insistent knock came at the door.

"Are you alright, Captain?" Miss Smith asked through a door that was not quite closed.

"Come in Miss Smith."

She came in and it was not surprising to see her face grow wary at the large armed man standing so near the Captain.

"Miss Smith, would you be so kind as to fetch us some food from the galley? And find me Mister St. Anthony."

She nodded. William noted again the catlike look that crossed into her eyes. He had seen it once before when she branded the pistols at Captain Scully. It betrayed the darker, dangerous side of her. He thought it suited her well.

"Aye, Aye, Captain."

July 3rd In the Year of Our Lord 1704

Morning / Forenoon Watch (4 AM - Noon)

Ahhh, seems a bit warmer weather this morning than I have woken to in many months. My eyes open wide and I smile at the aroma of morning victuals cooking in the galley. My! How the good Padre is a miracle worker with food as well as spirit! Best be gettin dressed. I do believe Mr Hawks had mentioned there is work to be done on some of the bulkheads below deck. *Tucks me flute in me belt, pulls me boots on and makes me way to the galley*