Pyrates of the West Coast

I hear voices, like memories but I’m sure they’re real. I can’t seem to open my eyes. Saved, the word instantly comes like a flash. Is that Meg? It sounds like Meg, but the ship…. The last thing I remember I was talking to Meg, we were on the deck of the Warrington Hart. We were talking of our respective plans for the future when…..An explosion! The powder magazine, dear lord!! Could we have actually survived? I try and speak but my lips barley move, my mouth is excruciatingly dry and all I can taste is salt. I hear other voices, men’s voices, I feel myself being lifted, and searing pain slices through my hands and face. As I am laid back down my eyes open slightly and the sun breaks the darkness, I see several shapes but cannot make anyone out. After several moments I can make out one of the shapes leaning over me, it’s Meg. She puts something to my lips, it’s cool and sour, but anything is better than salt water. I try again and find the words come easier now. “Meg, we’re alive”. I remove one of my hands clutching the small chest in my lap and try to sit myself up, but I am too week and fall back down. I lay there as we swiftly move off into the distance.

GageSig.png

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

::The Man called Lazarus sits up, whispers a few words then collapses onto the deck of the cutter, Mr. Lasseter can do no more than watch as he pushes the tiller over, completing the tacking....::

Augustus, Lad... make tha' man comfortable, put a rolled blanket under 'is head, see iffn' he'll take some water, Monsignor, give a hand....

::with good speed the cutter is making it's way back to its ship, though the tacking causes some delay, though the cutter can sail close to the wind, she can't sail directly into its teeth...::

Rest easy there... soon ye be on a goode ship and we gots a top notch Surgeon aboard, fix wot ails ye right quick...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

I held Lazarus's head and Augustus dripped eight, maybe ten drops in the small tight lipped gap exposed. He (Lazarus) coughed it out and swallowed what spilled within. (I turned to our Quartermaster) Sir He does not look the best for this day. I reached found strong pulse still looking Dorian in the eyes. He's going to make it though. I addressed Augustus let us try a few more drops perhaps now he'll be the ready for them.

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

Aye Lass he is going to be more than fine. He's strong and with strong pulse he's a bit broken up inside it appears but we have the oceans best surgeon on board. (I turned back to Augustus) A few more drops of water, he took those last ones well. Meg please give in to no worries and drink some as well. I looked up to the giant black man and mimmicked drinking water and reached out and handed him a bladder. He very slowly drank very small sips waiting long moments between the next, as if having been without water before was nothing new to him. (I thought maybe a desert tribe) he went back to sucking juice from the lemon. I brought out the salted beef and offered Meg then the giant one piece each. neither took any.....(i found that intelegent)

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

::The Cutter shortened the distance between itself and the Watch Dog, soon they would be able to come about and ease up along side...::

Aye Lads, soon as we get 'longside, hook on ta th' chains n' get these folks aboard... we gonna hafta keep some o' us aboard fer a wee bit tho... ain't gonna be able ta haul th' boat aboard whilst under way... so, I need a crew ta volunteer ta stay til we get ta drop off th' Danzig Trader... Who gonna stay?

::The QuarterMaster looked at the crew aboard, waiting for hands to go up, their only needed to be four aboard to work the cutter easily...::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

Ajayi Abiodun was alone in his language and position among so many Europeans. He was quiet, but not in any awkward or shy way. No, he sat straight and proud, and were it not for the chain and the piece of hull it was still bound to, one might have imagined him a leader or captain of men.

Nigel attempted conversation with him, but having no real tongue for his own language, he was an utter failure at conversing with someone like Ajayi Abiodun, who might know many languages for all he knew.

Ajayi Abiodun looked at him with dark, serious eyes, but made no more effort to talk with the scrawny Englishman.

Nigel noted that the chunk of timber still connected to the length of chain was considerable. It must have weighed upwards of fifty pounds, minus the weight of the chain, yet the great Nigerian carried it into the boat without any outward sign of effort.

"Lads, I believe he could smash take us all."

Mister Franklin made a scoffing sound. Lucky Tuck smiled at Ajayi Abiodun. Augustus just watched the rescued woman.

At the request for volunteers, Lucky Tuck raised his hand and so did Nigel.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpg

::Looking over the gunwale down into the cutter I see the 3 souls that our crew has retrieved from the sea. One man, enormous in size, appears to have been a slave aboard whatever ship lay in pieces upon the ocean. Shackled, yet not broken, he looks up towards the Watch Dog. Knowing what little of these languages I learned while aboard a slave trader, I attempt to make contact with the man. I cup my hands and yell down to the cutter::

Hujambo!!

::Mr Lasseter and the monsignor look up quizzically. "Sijambo" the man returns. Mr Lasseter and the Monsignor quickly turn their gaze back to the man in chains.::

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

::The cutter swung about and sidled along side the ship, as it bumped the side, the Quartermaster yelled...::

Look alive lads! Nigel, get hold o' th' chains!

::Mr. Brisbane did as the Quartermaster ordered::

Right! Rest o' you, help them poor souls out onta' th' ship, have a care now!

Mr. Warren, I'll ask you an' Jarrod ta stay aboard along with Nigel an' Tuck....

::Jarrod Styles, looked at Mr. Lasseter, his shoulders dropped a slight bit...::

"Aye Sur..."

::Mr. Warren smiled and nodded:: "Aye..."

Very goode, rest o' you get a move on, get 'em o'er ta the Surgeon...

::The crew and the survivors were helped by the other sailors on the ship, soon enough all that were heading onto the 'Dog had done so...::

Let Go, Nigel!

"Aye Sir!"

::Nigel let go of the chains and Mr. Lasseter sheer'd off, away from the Watch Dog, the Cutter bouncing in some chop...::

Aye Cap'n! My Compliments, we'll be just 'round about 'ere!!!

::turning to his small crew::

Well, looks like we's on a yachtin' trip, aye? Mr. .Warren, take th' tiller iffn' ye please...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

William was Not too surprised at the appearance of Ajayi Abiodun, though he found the length of chain at once distracting. The man was an imposing figure, while the other two looked well past weariness. He wasted no time in conversation.

"Take these people below, I will speak with them presently."

Many assisting hands helped the weary to the confines of the surgery, but the large man seemed immovable. He stood, and no man laid a hand to him as they gestured for him to follow. Still, he remained as if rooted to the spot on the deck. William approached the man, facing him directly, though he was forced to stand at arms length to see up into the man's face.

"Can you speak English?" William asked, and was not too surprised that the man didn't know English or chose not to answer. "Mister Pew...?"

Mister Pew plied Ajayi Abiodun with many questions in Swahili, but the man did not reply, though he fixed Mister Pew with a very intense gaze, that was neither friendly nor angry.

"Sorry, Sir." Mister Pew said with a shrug. "If 'e knows more than 'ello, 'e ain't saying so."

William nodded. Ajayi Abiodun turned again to William and placed his hand gently to his own bare chest. In a tone clear and emotionless, he said. "Ajayi Abiodun."

William did likewise, pressing his own hand to himself in like manner and stating his name 'William Brand', though a moment later on a whim he thought to add something else.

"Ahmar..."

Ajayi Abiodun looked at him for a long time, and while William couldn't read his expression, he was fairly certain the man had understood. Ajayi Abiodun looked him up and down and then at Mister Pew. Then, though it made a few flinch, Ajayi Abiodun reached out suddenly with the back of his hand and brushed the knuckles down over William's small beard. He did this in one quick motion, repeating the word in tone that bespoke a question or confirmation.

"Ahmar."

William nodded. "Bring this man some water and fetch Mister Hawks. We'll have this chain off."

William waited in front of Ajayi Abiodun while water was fetched for him. William took the dipper and offered it to him. Ajayi Abiodun drank but a little and offered it again to William, who drank it in turn. They stood awhile in silence, but after a time, William gestured towards the surgery and Ajayi Abiodun went willingly enough. Mister Pew would have followed, but William called him back.

"Mister Pew. A word if you please."

Jack watch the mountain of a man named Ajayi Abiodun as Mr. Pew and Capt. Brand attempted to communicate with him. His powerful frame could no doubt turn even his hands into mauling weapons, and the timber still chained to him could be a ready weapon if he were so inclined. Jack positioned himself so that he could see all that transpired clearly, so the he might have a clear shot if needed.

The thing that struck Jack was the calmness of the man's eyes. No heat, no fear, no panic. A gentle giant, to be sure, lest given cause to act otherwise.

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

William walked with Mister Pew to the Quarterdeck. He stood awhile near the starboard rail looking out at the cutter.

"You see Mister Warren, there? He is as fine a boatman as I have seen, and when occasion permits or demands, and it often does, I need him in the cutter. This presents me with a dilemma. In Mister Warren's abscence, I have no experienced helmsman at the wheel."

William paused and gave Mister Pew a questioning look, one eyebrow raised.

"I should like to promote you to Coxswain's Mate, Mister Pew. What say you?"

Stepping back and to the side deftly, as years in the square had instictually granted, the Surgeon gave quick inspection of the newest to cross into the realm. Fitzgerald had seen worse for the wear in regard to the young woman and gave direction for her placement for now, the large Nubian seemed basicly unscathed, but...the last of the trio gave her concern.

With quick deduction and with each given a place within the medical confine, Tempest shooed uneeded bodies out the door and pacing from one to the other of recent edition, giving closer inspection to ailment.

Emaciation, prolonged elemental exposure, abrasions, contusions all shared in variation...But...it was the man carried in that was the most serious of the lot, this one was of the list and then some. Extreme contusions of the torso gave indication to possible breakage within, ragged breathing added to it.

Stepping back, she looked to Armand and what was read in her eyes, was not something that indicated an easy go in the days to come.

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

I, I, I . . .

::stammering to try and get the words out::

I'd be proud sah. Thankee sah. I make it a point ta get wit Mr. Warren and discuss the finer points of ta helm sah.

::Standing at attention for the first time in many years, I saluted the Captain and made my way to find Mr. Youngblood.::

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

Pleased with Mister Pew's acceptance of the new postotion, William went below to speak with those who had come aboard. The surgery always seemed smaller when any group larger than three occupied it, but Ajayi Abiodun positively scraped the overhead beams. He hat to sit in order to fit without hunching and he looked all the darker for the lower light of the interior.

The Doctor was already at work over her patients, the calm and studious expression taking over all her features.

"I am William Brand, Captain of the Watch Dog." he said to the woman, who seemed far more conscious of her surroundings than the other. "What ship is it that you were on and how did it come to this end?"

"We were all aboard the Warrington Hart, Sir," she answered meekly. "We left Liverpool, stopped along the African coast and we were crossing to Montserrat." Meg paused. "There was an explosion. I was topside when it happened, so I'm afraid I can't offer any explaination for it."