Pyrates of the West Coast

A sidelong glance exposes the appearance of the Master at Arms in some state of contemplation. Raising a brow to Armand, Tempest gains her feet with a smallish waver of footing, and wanders down to the area of port 'wale that Jack occupies. Leaning to rail support she smiles at him in greeting, the angle of cheek showing a tinge of ruddiness from the tankard left in Armand's keeping.

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jack hears the rustle of the Doctor's dress as she joins him at the port gunwale. He turns to her and meets her smile, his own smile a bit too broad from the rum he'd been enjoying.

"Good eve to you, dear Doctor. A fine night, is it not? The perfect finale to a day replete with good food, good rum, and now, good company."

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

" And I could go so far as to say the same in return, monsiegnuer. I see you are in a finer state of mind than earlier this day?"

Gives an offhand glance to the tankard he is holding and curses that her's was left behind. Turning to view the bow, inadvertantly steps on the hem of skirt and wishes she had chosen knee britches instead.

" Do tell...There seems to have been a bit of tension betwixt yourself and Capitaine Fournier..."

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

William spent the beginning of first watch checking and re-checking the anchor cable that bound them hard fast to the Danzig Trader. He noted the position of the Chasse de Mer, far astern. Fournier had been crisscrossing their wake for several hours now. He was just close enough to serve and just far enough to slip away when his service was done.

William returned to the deck, finding Rummy as he went and there she delivered the new addition to his cane.

"Tell Mister Hawks..." William paused. "No. I will tell him myself. Thank you."

William wound his way among the crew on the deck. Youngblood was at a smoke near the larboard rail speaking with Mister Johnson. William stopped to make conversation and inquires. They were there speaking when Miss Smith passed with a tray of coffee. William took a cup and dismissed himself to find the Carpenter, but after searching the ship, he found him abed and fast asleep, so he kept his praise for the morning.

When he returned to the gun deck he stood a long while with Mister Badger, and they talked of England for the better part of an hour.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpg

Jack reaches out to help the Surgeon steady herself. While he knows she had simply taken a faulty step, he could not help but tease her a bit.

"Aye, madam, my state of mind is indeed far less troubled than before. It would seem your's is none the worse off for the extra rations, either" he smiled.

He chuckled at her playfully exasperated look, and continued with his answer.

"You might say that Capt. Fournier and I have sat at opposite sides of the table before. Just never in such a genteel setting. The ship we toasted, the Atlantica, was carrying me to my first command when she was taken by a French patrol off Portugal. Atlantica's captain was a bit full of himself after outrunning a Spanish patrol, not realising that they had herded us into the arms of the French. Fournier was a junior officer, a midshipman I believe, on the lead ship, under Capitaine Morieau. We were treated quite well, if one can call being held captive comfortable. It delayed my taking command by several months, as you might imagine. I managed to make up for the inconvenience more than once.

"My greatest fear, once I realised that is was indeed Fournier, was that I had put our party in peril. Silly of me, since Fournier had us on his ship. Where would the sport be in that? No, that would not be our friend's style... And speaking of 'friends', my dear Doctor Fitzgerald, he seemed to know you quite well... It's a vast ocean, but rather a small world, wouldn't you say?"

Jack let this last question hang in the air as he sipped once more from his tankard.

29 June, 1704

7 bells of the evening watch, 2330

:: The Quartermaster rises after a brief respite to relieve the Captain. It was high time that William had some rest... Mr. Lasseter donned his wesket, put the baldric over his shoulder and stuck his pistols into his belt, then proceeded on deck... coming out into the waist, he looked forward, up, and around, doing a brief inspection as was his wont, satisfied, he headed to the quarterdeck...::

Aye Cap'n... Time fer me ta relieve ye... ya must be weary from this day...

:: the Captain nodded to Mr. Lasseter...::

"Yes Mr. Lasseter, I believe I shall take my rest... You have the Deck..."

:: The Captain made his way down onto the deck and below to his quarters....

Mr. Lasseter settled in, checked the logbook, noted the direction of the wind, the last toss of the log.... The Danzig Trader was rolling along well enough in tow...::

AH..... A fine eve... can't ask fer more, Lads....

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

She listened to what he offered and made comparrison with what she had already known. A ghost of the past given view from the other side of the looking glass...It had been the capture of Atlantica and three others that had given boost to Fournier's career to the next level. She knew this beyond shadow of doubt, for on Jean-Micheale's return to port, she had heard the telling from him personally. A small shiver ran the legnth of her spine as the Master at Arms made poignant observation. And observation that called more memories to the fore front and she looked away as he drew his draught of cane pleasure.

"Capitaine Fournier was an...aquaintance."

Tempest suddenly longed for the near distant tankard in Armand's possesion, Jack's verbose had a sobering affect and hit to close to home. Begging his pardon, she excused herself and backed away saying that the dress was an irritation in its bulk and she wished for something less so. The Surgeon gave a smile to him in parting to cover the chance of thoughts meandering her mind and headed for chambers below decks.

Armand hopped down from his perch, nodding to Jack as he passed in her wake.

::Seeing the Mr Lasseter and Mister Badger in merry conversation, I stroll their way.::

Evenin' sahs.

Mr. Lasseter, I b'leve I may 'ave found the Cap'n his first piece of treasure . . .

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

Jack saw the change in Tempest's expression, and knew immediately that he'd said too much. He bade her good night and watched her depart the main deck for her quarters, Armand in her wake.

Jack toasted the empty air. "Sparkling work, Jack. Nicely done, killing the conversation that way... Idiot." he said ruefully, and drained his tankard.

Mr. Lasseter, I b'leve I may 'ave found the Cap'n his first piece of treasure . . .

::looking Mr. PEW's way the QuarterMaster nodded...::

An' wot might the' be?

::He waited for the answer, looking about the ship... He noticed the Surgeon, still in her dress, he smiled, then noticed a slight look of unease on her face, causing him to wonder what may have caused it, soon she had disappeared below.... He would have to wait to find out..::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

::Taking the mug from Ms. Smith with a smile...::

Thankee Kindly, Lass.... A'ter all tha' fine victuals n' wine... I must say I'll need al th' help I c'n get.... *chuckle*

As fer th' haulin'.... Th' Danzig makes a fine sea anchor.... bloody tub.... but goode fer transport o' all them goods, now in 'r posession...

::He grins broadly at his last words, as the goods aboard will fill the coffers well enough...::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

///oops

She instantly regreted her abrupt departure with the gaining of private quarters. Armand quietly closed the door behind and leaned against its surface with a look of questioning. Guilt rose heavily from the pit of her stomache, she would make amends to Jack and ask forgivness to her manner. Sitting down on the flooring, Armand extended the tankard in offer. Tempest nodded thanks and pulled heavily from the content before handing it back.

Gaining composure, she rifled through a waiting trunk to procure cotton britches and a loose shirt.

Well sah, as Cut-throat an I were makin' rounds abouts the deck 'ere, I noticed meself a funny shine behind one 'oer the barrels by the mainmast.

::Fishing into me jacket pocket I find the Daalder. I rub the Dutch coin briskly against my jacket to warrant some kind of shine to appear. I flip it to Mr. Lasseter, and continue.::

Seems ta be Dutch. Whether it be one o' the officers we gots outta ta sea or from whens the Dutch Cap'n twas aboard. If'n our Cap'n be a pirate likin' to his postbill on the mast, then 'es goona need some treasure. 'Ave a good evenin' sah.

:I chuckle slightly, wink to Mr. Lasseter, and head back to the main deck for another tot of rum.::

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

I was tossing and turning, visions of wave and windswept decks the Watch Dog towing the dutch ship into squalls ten feet more than the heavily laden trader could take. with each rise upon the approaching crest the tow ropes slackend then upon downward fall list extension to full stretch and on and on this went till the hull of the Dansig trader was just simply pulled off by the roots of the shipwrights boned structuring. I sat up.... The vision so real as the trader sank as fast as the second wave went into and totally through its entirety. I got up dressed made my beds exit and went above to insure that my dreams be false.

I made my way up the corridor towards the last incline and waited for the captains stewards descent.

Good evening to you Ms. Smith and how has this long day treated you? She in a sort of harumph de triumph type of answer threw her hands at the heavens asked for something from above and went on down the corridor still spouting on as she must have been heading toward the galley. I turned taking my first step up the last stairs and thought quarter moon tonight no reason fer full moon fever. I shook me head and made the last step only to turn and see behind us the Danzig Trader in tow and on fairly calm seas. I looked up and Swan waved down to me and I waved back. The dream it was so real....... the screaming Dutch men all lost in its barbarian totality. I decided I would go to the galley for a nightcap...

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

::as Mr. PEW flips the object at the QuarterMaster, his hand shoots out and grabs it... He opens his hand, takes it close to a lantern to see what it is...::

Aye, it do appear ta be dutch.... Hmm... coulda come from any number o' places, as ye say, from one o' them poor souls, mayhaps th' ah, Cap'n... dunno... I suppose I'll put this in the gen'ral funds... just add it ta wot we get fer th' goods we got off th' dutchy...

Thankee fer bringin' it ta me... goode men, th' both o' ye...

::Mr. Lasseter nodded to Mr. PEW, then took up the ships glass, making a sweep of the 'Dog' and her consort ships, seeing all as it should be... ::

Right... Mr. Badger, I've a need ta head below fer a moment... Ye 'ave th' deck til I return... Carry on...

::Mr. Lasseter sets down the glass, heads down to the waist and below... he heads to his quarters to add the dutch coin to the coffer locked away for the needs of the ship...::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

With the assurance that all was well enough, Armand and Tempest parted company. He to catch a catnap and she to regain former seat near the bow. The wooden nation gave indication to its passage on dark waters by symphony of creaks and groans as she paused in the shadowed companion way; leaning against bulk head Tempest listened to the song reverbirating through corridor.

::As the QuarterMaster heads down the companion way aft, he notices a person standing against the bulkhead come alert in the darkness... He stops momentarily wary....::

Who ye be there?

::He inquires to the shape ahead, who then seems to relax and step towards him... His right hand makes a move towards on of his pistols, then he recognises the figure of the Surgeon...::

"It is I, Dorian... Tempest..."

::She walked up to him allowing the meager light to illuminate her face to his view...::

Ah Lass... wot ye be doin' standin' out 'ere?

::he looked at her with concern... this was not how he knew her to be...::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

She glanced to the Quartermaster's face than away.

" Enjoying the sound of the sea...contemplating the day's goings on..."

Tempest kept her focus to the deck below and hoped that the answer was enough. She knew if he was allowed to read her, the ruse would crumple and even with looking away, the odds where not in her favor. The Surgeon shifted stance and attempted to clear thought pattern in order to give a cassual outward vissage.

::His eyebrows pricked up, this was not the way she acted... ::

Hmmmm... I's not wishin' ta pry... but does this 'ave somat ta do wi' Madmoiselle Bertrand? Aye?

::he watched as she shifted he weight away from him, again avoiding his gaze::

My apologies... I 'spect a bit o' yer past ye wish to ferget... ne'er ye mind... mayhaps a wee dram o' whiskey might help ease it away.... I c'n scare up a gil 'r so iffn' ye like...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

in the galley I found one lantern lit but by its alertness to sea travel and all ship shape and stored was for my part realized that it be closed for the night. I went about and returned to me quarters and quietly undressed went to me locker removed an old friend and poured a snifter (ergh two) into me teeth glass and swirled it a moment just to get me senses ready for the bombardment of full and righteous indignation. Throwing back the glass and me head at the appropriate time so as to hit the throat with as much as I could take the liquid fire was again not what was expected. Hoarsley I muttered, God I love that stuff... and went back to bed.

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

*He finishes his pipe and coffee, he walks down from the fore castle and towards a group of gunners. They were gathered in a circle passing a bottle of rum back and forth. Grabbing the bottle from one of the sailors, he tilts his head back and takes a long drink. Wiping his mouth with his sleeve he passes the bottle.*

That French ship ad some beauties fer guns, to bad dey donna what a do wit um.

* A roar of laughter breaks out. He continues to make jokes about the French’s inadequacy as gunners and their sailing incompetence. Attempting to lighten the mood of the situation, as some of the gunners were nervous as to having a man of war following us.*

Petee-2.jpg

::With my tankard in my hand, I head back to the Quarterdeck and lean upon the gunwale. I can hear Mr. Youngblood's voice over the breeze in the rigging. Looking out over the pitch black sea, I can see the dimly lit lanterns on the Danzig Trader, and barely make out the Chasse du Mer in the distance.

Looking away from the lights I peer at the moon striking out in all it's glory.::

darkmoon.jpg