Pyrates of the West Coast

Almost the entire Watch Dog crew raised their glasses enthusiastically, though William doubted they undestood a lick of it. Still, the "Aye!" was a strong one and many glasses clinked together.

Fournier seemed amused by this, but in a quiet way that did not hint at his reasoning.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpg

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

///

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

The wine flowed with abandon and each change of course offered spirits of complimentariy qualities. With the removal of the Carpaccio de Boeuf, there was a laps in short while dishes were cleared and replaced fresh for the offering of Clafoutis aux Abricots.

Jean-Micheale Fournier was a gracious host and did well to steer conversation away from matters of touchy nature. Through out the duration of meal he carefully scrutinzed the events of the Ward room and endured the temptation to focus too much on the woman two seats down the right side of mohogany length.

Sipping from the latest fill of crystal goblet, he glanced casually to the Master at Arms introduced as Monsieur St. Anthony. The inner wheels of his mind clicked and paused their motion. Standing with raised goblet, he gained the attention of the table and the conversations dulled to quiet.

"Monsieur St. Anthony..." His speech paused waiting for the other's focus. " A glass of wine with you, Monsieur."

A servent quickly appeared to fill Jack's glass.

"To the Atlantica, s'il vous plait. May her memory stand clear through time."

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

Jack took a deep breath at the mention of the Atlantica. All those years ago, the ship that was carrying him to his first full command aboard the Brig HMS Panther was jumped and captured by a French patrol near Lisbon. While not formally at war, the two nations had expended a considerable amount of energy capturing ships and blockading ports. The Atlantica was one such English vessel to fall prey to French predations. Her crew were taken captive and repatriated unharmed, but the memory of having been a French prisoner was not especially pleasant. Fortunately Jack was only a passenger, so no blemish came to his Naval record.

Fournier was a junior officer on board the ship that served as a floating prison house for the Atlantica officers. He had been a watchful, quiet man; preferring to observe the "cordial" interrogations without actively participating. Fournier had progressed to a station that did not surprise Jack in the least. He had been impressed then, and he was still impressed.

Jack raised his glass in kind. "To the Atlantica! And how is Capitaine Morieau these days?"

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

A sly of smile appeared briefly then slipped away as if it had not existed.

" He is well. Retired in a manner of speaking."

Finishing the toast, Fournier addressed the table and urged the consumption of appricot desert while it was still warm from the Galley. Nodding to all, he resumed his seat in satisfaction of quandray answered.

The short toast was revealing only in its players. William learned no more than the names he had known before and it satisfied his curiousity little. Still, it seemed to come to no more harm than the ruffling of the Master at Arms feathers, and he was glad for it, raising his own glass during the toast and giving Mister St. Anthony his most supporting nod before drinking.

The food was well made and rich for the sea. "Some of us will pay for this in our bowels later." he thought.

"How are the Dutch to you?" Fournier asked him all at once.

"I assume you mean, "How are they towards me?" , not "How are they to me?"

Fournier nodded.

William smiled. "One cannot always choose one's company or saviors on the sea. Though I suspect that some of them know very little of me and would not have cared if I had murdered their own mothers for the want of water they had aboard. Some of them believe they know who I am, but in that, they are wrong."

This was not the dinner conversation of old friends, but William continued.

"I regret that whatever they may think of me, I will not be there when news of my good dead reaches England and the Netherlands. I should so like to see their faces in Parliament."

Fournier contemplated the words for a moment then spoke quietly to the other commander so as to keep things low and private.

' We are in need of privacy, if you will, please follow me."

Jean-Micheale stood away from his chair, quietly issuing requests to his steward before addressing the table's company to pardon himself and Capitaine Hollande, they would return soon. With a quick glance to the Surgeon, he lead to the door which accessed private chamber.

"Gentleman. Doctor."

William followed Fournier into the private chamber. "Room" would have been to big a word for it, but for a ship, it was comfortable.

"I should very much like to take you up on your offer for a letter of recommendation in regards to Mister Scully. I can only assume that that is what this is about?"

Fournier was already nodding, but before the subject continued, William added an additional request.

"I mean to move the Danzig Trader. I am taking her as far as Montserrat by means of a towing cable so that she might be discovered by the English, to whatever end, and as I will be vulnerable during that time, I ask you now if you will come with us in excort until nightfall?"

"Montserrat?....You are aware that that is a Anglais colony?" Fournier pursed his lips in consideration. " It is not a far place from here and is with in the circut that we travel..."

Reaching to a nearby decanter he poured two glasses of sherry and offered a seat next to the small table sharing the sleeping chamber.

" I shall be happy to aid you though I feel that you may be playing the odds and do not recomend over closeness to the island in question. It is as far North that we travel then we turn South, back towards Martinique"

William excepted the glass with a nod.

"Aye. That is why I plan to leave the Merchant near enough to be seen at a distance by the English. This will give the Dutch ample opportunity to do whatever pleases them in regards to the Danzig Trader. They may secure passage or remain with the English and my promises to them will be at an end. Then I can return south in the near company of the Chasse de Mer until I continue on to St. Vincent, or wherever I may make a profit from those goods in my possession."

William paused to drink.

"Your letter will give me many opportunities in waters that might otherwise be closed to me, and your company, and that of the Chasse de Mer, will confuse the English. What will they think of me, he that rescues the Dutch from certain death and delivers them in the company of the French?"

William couldn't help the smile that crossed his face then. It was a story that might re-grow with the telling, as most of them had where he was concerned.

Fournier chuckled and retieving parchament and quill, he took a seat at the table and began to scribe a letter to the attention of Don Francesch Manuel Vasquez. Allowing time for the ink to dry, the Frenchman sipped from the crystal content.

" This shall allow you access in La Margarita. Present it to the gate keepers of this gentleman's hacienda and you will be brought in to the compound. I am envious that I cannot follow you that far south...envious indeed."

"Merci beaucoup. I will sing La Marseillaise in your honor ere I come to La Margarita." William said shaking Fournier's hand.

It seemed some small relief to all that they both came out of the small enclosure, smiling as they were. William thanked Fournier for the company and hospitality of his table as they all returned into the sunlight.

Mister Warren called an attention to the waiting rowers and all prepared to depart.

The Surgeon fell last in line to the departing members of the crew she served, lagging behind intentionally. As they waited on deck for the cutter preperation, she spoke quietly with Lieutenant Lamaire, comparing notes of experiences of the last six years and hinting around to the subject of Jean-Micheale Fournier. She and the Capitaine had traded glances, but few words do to seating arrangement and lack of privacy. Noticing that the other crewmembers were making way for the side, Tempest expressed to Dominique how very good it was to see him well, then joined the others.

William exchanged salutes of respect with Fournier and helped Tempest into the waiting cutter. William turned to Fournier as he did this.

"I will move the Danzig and Watch Dog within the hour if I can. Should you at any time feel that you can no longer remain with us, then do me the courtesy of a quiet departure with no cannon salute." William said with a smile. "I shouldn't want to announce myself to the English too early."

William went down into the boat and Mister Warren ordered them away. The short trip was a quiet one. To be honest, it was difficult to be tossed so much after a meal of that quality, especially topped off with wine as they were, but no one made a complaint with any real disagreement in their voice.

Once aboard, the officers who had waited, watching, gathered at the rail. William sent orders immediately for an anchor cable to be sent out the larboard cannon port in the stern and on to the Danzig for towing. Officers moved off to strip the clothes of the morning in exchange for clothes better suited for work and action.

William remained on the quarterdeck.

(Ahoy mateys! I says to meself then looking out over to the main mast basket I says) Cairan thar be the Captian and all of our mates back on the main deck. They seem to be in good dispositions I see. With your glass look to see if any weapons are being held too and or fast by the French accompany! Keep a close eye on them till we find the disposition. I'll be headin down and back on me shift change.

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

" 'Tis me own delight to be able to use my craft to help me mates, Mad Jack. I am so pleased that it will be a helpful aid to your recovery. You do look a bit more stable with this instead of the oar. I will find a good use for your discard, mate." *smiles and leans closer to her friend, whispering:* " I apologize for failing to act on my own and anticipating your needs much earlier. You should never have had to even ask!"

*I turn and make my way back to Mr Hawks workstation. He has placed the Captains walking stick against the wall and points to it as he sees me aproaching*

"Rummy, our project is complete with a special addition." Mr Hawks tells me as he points out our captain's new cane. "Look here" he tells me as he reveals the mystery of the special addition he mentioned.

*I look in amazement as I shake my head. "Thank you Mr Hawks. You have outdone yourself." My thoughts of what a wonderful craftsman Mr Hawks truly is boggle my mind. *

As I make my way towards the Captain's quarters, I cross his path just outside the surgeon's ward. Outstretching my arm - I place the cane in his hand and silently show him Mr Hawks handiwork. Our eyes meet and I see the captain's nod of approval. Sharing a momentary smile, I turn to make my way to my seachest to fetch my flute for tonight's festivities.

Mr Hawks catches up with Rummy a while later as she is returning to deck with her flute. He holds something in a small pouch in his right hand.

"Ahh Rummy, I see ya be ready fer all the nights merriment. I take it the Capin took well ta yer handiwork. I just opes he liked me addition. One thing though, ya left a mite to soon. I ads me one more special addition."

Jonathan holds out the pouch and hands it to Rummy. She opens it and her eyes go wide with surprise.

"Ahh, seems ya like it I says. It be a separate piece I made fer the Capin that be interchangeable on the top. I figured e might like ta change when he be in different company. This nice brass skull works right fyne on ship. Bein pyratical an all. Only I mades it wit its own capins hat attached to. All it needs be is unscrewed from the other. Ya think he be liking it?"

Shoots anything that moves!!

The gun crew, under the direction of Mister Youngblood, hauled the stern chaser, Geri, from its place so the spare anchor cable could be run out through the larboard stern gunport. Mister Warren took the cable end from here, and with the assistance of the cutter crew, he carried the end in the cutter on to the Danzig Trader. Here it was secured using timbers and braces set by Rummy and Mister Hawks. Mister Badger trimmed and changes what sail he thought best to distribute the strain upon the Watch Dog prior to towing. Christine Johnson and Tudor Smith made their way among the crew feeding the crew and giving them drink as the evening turned into night. Mister Youngblood split the watches for the long night, sure to have fresh men on the guns as the night progressed. The Monsignor and Ciaran were aloft calling changes as they saw them. And every other sailor aboard the ship was about his or her duty.

"My compliments to the crew, Mister Lasseter. And extra ration of rum for all."

William was pleased at the way they all worked in tandem. He ordered the Watch Dog's new course and heading and there was a satisfying lurch as the anchor cable dragging the Danzig pulled taught. At first, they seemed to make no progress at all, but after a few minutes, the speed could be judged by all.

Mr Hawks catches up with Rummy a while later as she is returning to deck with her flute. He holds something in a small pouch in his right hand.

"Ahh Rummy, I see ya be ready fer all the nights merriment. I take it the Capin took well ta yer handiwork. I just opes he liked me addition. One thing though, ya left a mite to soon. I ads me one more special addition."

Jonathan holds out the pouch and hands it to Rummy. She opens it and her eyes go wide with surprise.

"Ahh, seems ya like it I says. It be a separate piece I made fer the Capin that be interchangeable on the top. I figured e might like ta change when he be in different company. This nice brass skull works right fyne on ship. Bein pyratical an all. Only I mades it wit its own capins hat attached to. All it needs be is unscrewed from the other. Ya think he be liking it?"

Taking the new figurehead for the captains walking stick, I give Mr Hawks hand a squeeze in appreciation. "You never cease to amaze me, Mr Hawks!" I tell him softly, then turn and make my way to find our captain.

Short of a dozen footsteps away, I find Captain William Redwake and smile as I present this new addition for his cane. His eyebrows arch in surprise and approval as he again nods his head and asks to mention to Mr Hawks that he would like to have a word with him sometime soon.

"I'd be glad to let him know. I believe he was making his way to his workstation and I am heading that way now. Good day to you Captain~"

It was a fine weatherly breeze that took hold and snapped taunt the massed canvas above. From abaft where they had choosen to sit, the most recent measure of speed increase was relayed with the hauling of log. Two points East off the bow, the stern lanterns of Chasse de Mer could be viewed as their yellowed light mimiced the scatter of white twinkle giving muted presence in heavens above.

Bare footed and regaining the comfort of loose calico, the Doctor refilled the emptiness of tankard want. With a tin clink in hoisted toast, the contents were diminished then filled again as she related to Armand the details of meal and conversation that seemed to have occured in some distant dream.

The Gascon listened, the tankards were filled again, and the Chirurgien relished unrestricted adornment...

(As the late afternoon sun cast its last rays across the water, Ciaran looks down and sees the Doctor and Armand enjoyin' time on the deck. Ciaran turns back to Diego and says,)

Arr, mate, it be nice to see our Doctor finally enjoyin' some time on the deck, is it not? (points downward) At last our crew be well and let us pray there be no more injuries fer awhile.

(Ciaran lifts his head and enjoys the delightful evening breeze as the ocean takes its last bite out of Old Sol)

I wonder if one of the most important steps on our journey is the one in which we throw away the map.

-- Loreena McKennitt

My fathers knew of wind and tide, and my blood is maritime.

-- Stan Rogers

I don't pretend to be captain weird.

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

Bythe time Ciaran and meself got out o the baskets and found the way to the galley fer a double rum the thought presented me with the Van Buren occurance again. the Rat bastard bitch. I mean workin fer the Skully and all. I might a known the likes and such a properly met young powder monkey weren't but a woman by disguise. I toasted to Ciarans dedication and exemplarary call to duty in the face of all danger and he toasted me back afore I knew it i was ready fer sleep

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

Jack walked the deck, cane in one hand, tankard in the other. On this warm evening, he had forgone his usual kit for boots, breeches, a loose shirt, and headscarf. He made his way to the foreward section of the main deck, preferring to look out over the empty expanse of water rather than watch the consort vessels around the Watch Dog. He sipped his grog as he thought back over the day's events, silently damning his jumpy nerves and worrisome nature.

"Fournier is not the type to make a move without all due contemplation. You always were and impatient chess player, Jack" he thought to himself. He breathed deeply as he felt the rum slowly wash over his concerns and numb them. The sea, the wind, and the sails sang their songs to him, and he found a moment's peace.

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

The gun crew, under the direction of Mister Youngblood, hauled the stern chaser, Geri, from its place so the spare anchor cable could be run out through the larboard stern gunport. Mister Warren took the cable end from here, and with the assistance of the cutter crew, he carried the end in the cutter on to the Danzig Trader. Here it was secured using timbers and braces set by Rummy and Mister Hawks. Mister Badger trimmed and changes what sail he thought best to distribute the strain upon the Watch Dog prior to towing. Christine Johnson and Tudor Smith made their way among the crew feeding the crew and giving them drink as the evening turned into night. Mister Youngblood split the watches for the long night, sure to have fresh men on the guns as the night progressed. The Monsignor and Ciaran were aloft calling changes as they saw them. And every other sailor aboard the ship was about his or her duty.

"My compliments to the crew, Mister Lasseter. And extra ration of rum for all."

William was pleased at the way they all worked in tandem. He ordered the Watch Dog's new course and heading and there was a satisfying lurch as the anchor cable dragging the Danzig pulled taught. At first, they seemed to make no progress at all, but after a few minutes, the speed could be judged by all.

Tudor headed once more down to the galley. "Any more coffee, Christine?" She asked the cook with a weary smile. "The crew on shift is starting to tire again . . . one more round." She said, then grinned as she took a loaded tray topside.

(The Monsignor and Ciaran enjoy toasting one another, their mates, the ship, the Queen of Heaven, anything they can think of while relaxin down in the galley. At that pace, 'twasn't long afore Ciaran notices that Diego be slurrin his words and laughin more than usual.)

Arrr! To bed with ye, Sir. We've had a good day and tomorrow will be here all too soon. One more toast then.

(raises tankard)

To yer good health, Monsignor! May ye stay young and spry and be able to climb the ropes till yer a very old man!

(mugs clank, rum sloshes around, and soon the two stagger off to their respective bunks)

I wonder if one of the most important steps on our journey is the one in which we throw away the map.

-- Loreena McKennitt

My fathers knew of wind and tide, and my blood is maritime.

-- Stan Rogers

I don't pretend to be captain weird.

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp