Pyrates of the West Coast

William and Dorian continued the review of the Watch Dog's supplies in the Ward Room for half an hour. William brought up many necessary items and was not surprised that the Quartermaster had not only thought of them as well, but had calculated the required amount and what he determined would be a fair bargaining price for the items ashore. William was glad to not spend too much time on these matters. He made only a few additional requests and one or two adjustments touching the supplies he wanted for La Blanquilla.

During this time, Mister Pew returned with the Master Gunner and William sent them off with his Steward to fulfill the task of the added cannon. They went to the task with no small enthusiasm, and Mister Youngblood showed his first true smile since the accident and loss that was still fresh on their minds.

When they were gone, William remarked on the companionable way in which Pew and Youngblood interacted. "I like to see a Master-at-Arms and a Master Gunner on good terms. On the Kingfisher they fought over grams of powder on the ledger every other day."

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpg

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

::Mr. Lasseter chuckled at the last comment by the Captain...::

A few o' the ships I had th' misfortune ta be on had very much th' same.... tho, m'favourite time aboard another ship was while on a wee ship... Seventy of us crammed into it... fourteen four pounders fer great guns... th' Master ta Arms n' Gunns were one in th' same.... Had a grande time, we did... Tho, th' cap'n was a bit of a stick... no' adventurous... stuck ta 'is orders like they was th' commandments....

::He sat back and smiled as he remembered his past... William smiled too, finding some slight amusement in the QuarterMaster... Both were brought out of the short silence by the peal of the ships bell. It struck five times, five bells of the afternoon watch...::

Well.... Mayhaps I best be gettin' back topside... I'll take my leave of ye, Cap'n... unless ye wish ta take in some air, an' join us above?

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

"Let us both go up. We can watch over the details from deck and shore."

Mister Lasseter went out first as William remained to put the charts and ledgers away. He made a notation of their last anchorage, careful to make a note to change the sounding depth on his La Margarita charts. There was a minor discrepancy on them and he had ever been fastidious on the subject of depths since the Hammerhead had run aground off of North Africa. They had been three days aground then and the tide and time had wreaked havoc on the timbers.

He was never going to make that mistake again unless tactics or prudence dictated otherwise.

This done, he took his cane, baldric and hat and went out via the companionway that lead directly to the quarterdeck.

::The QuarterMaster headed topside, walking out into the waist he noticed a handfull of the crew skylarking about... One caught sight of him and made the others aware of his persence, to which he slightly smiled...::

Carry on lads... soon enough there'll be much work ta do...

::He headed forward, noting the hatches to the hold set aside, the gaping maw of the hold open to the air. Below in the hold several lads were rearrainging what stores were there, making use of every bit of space there was to be had. He made his way past the hatch and laid a hand on the breech of Sofia. He looked over the ship with a critical eye, from top of the masts to the decks, from stem to the transom... a smile spread across his face... ::

A'right Lads! Rig booms n' tackle fer takin' on supplies! Sway out th' empty casks an' put 'em on the docks...

::The skylarking crew grinned and headed to work...

Mr. Lasseter watched the crew getting the booms ready and noticed Captian Brand now on the docks, looking over the ship from that perspective... ::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

As William was standing on the dock over seeing the shore party he felt a tap on his shoulder. Turning he found himself faced with a tall, solidly built sailor. Making quick note of the fact that the man had a cutlass draped over his shoulder and a pair of pistols shoved in his sash, he take a defensive step back and warily asked" May I help you with something?" The sailor replied"Beggin' yer pardon sar, but might ye be the master o' that ship takin' on supplies?". "And if I am, what of it?" William replied. "Well sar", replied the huge tar,"It jes so happens I be without a ship and lookin' te sign on with a crew." William eyed the man suspiciously noting that his clothing was a strange mix of civilian and a Royal Navy tar's uniform, and that was most definitely a marine sargeants sash around his waist. "What is your name?", asked William. "Flynt sir, William Flynt, but most jes calls me Billy er Billy Redlegs." "Now why in the world would they call you that?" Capitain Brand asked wryly. "Because I be right handy during a boarding," Billy replied with a lop sided grin. The man certainly had the look of a capable fighter and he was well armed. "Indeed", said William. "Billy, you're not a deserter are you? You're clothing would lead one to believe that you are." "And if I am sar?". "Well if you were unreliable aboard one ship who's to say that you wouldn't do the same thing aboard this one?". " I see yer point sar, but rest assured I be as steady a hand as there ever was." William thought for a moment,"suppose you tell me more about yourself Mister Flynt". "Aye sar, I first began me service to the crown as a powder monkey aboard the sloop Reliant durin' King Williams war, of late I been servin as a marine and boarder aboard Her Majesty's ship Dreadnaught. A month or so ago we was attacked by two ships o' the line of the French Navy. Most the crew was killed and the ship herself sunk. Those of us who survived gathered what we could and slipped away in the long boats in the confusion. We drifted fer days witout fresh water and subsistin' on what we could catch from the sea, which wernt much til we landed here. Me mates figured this being spanich territory twas best we split up so as not to draw attention to ourselves. I have some workmens clothes and I speak enough spanish I'm able to go about as I please. I been lookin' fer passage off o' the island but so far only spanish and french ships been comin' ta port. I can't bloody well ask them fer , my spanish isn't that good and I'd soon enough be discovered. I over heard yer crew talkin' english amongst themselves and I seen ye come ashore so I figured now was myc chance." Billy paused and looked at William hopefully. "What skills do you posess Billy?" "Sar, As I said I speak a bit o' spanich. I kin read and write. I be an excellent marksman, and something of a gunsmith. Plus I be an able a seaman as any hand what's served before the mast." William thought for a moment. " Billy I'll take you at your word for now. We'll take you on as an able seaman . Should you prove to be trouble or if I find out you're lying to me you'll be dealt with swiftly , am I clear?" "Yes sar, Oh thank you sar, you shan't regret this." "Yes, let's hope not, no gather your belongings and see to helping the rest of the crew with the loading of the supplies." Aye Captain" "Oh and Billy?" "Yes Captain?" "Welcome aboard the Watch Dog". Billy's grin was brighter than the sun itself. William made a note to himself to check into Billy's story as soon as possible.

THIS CABIN-LAD'S GROWN HAGGARD, SO IN THE POT HE GOES AND FROM HIS SKIN WE'LL MAKE A LITTLE DRUM TO BEAT AS WE FIRE HUMAN HEADS FROM CANNONS AT OUR FOES. AND SET THE SEAS ABLAZE WITH BURNING RUM.

The two men of kindered past and kindered nationality approached the angled surface of gangplank leading to decks above with careful step in effort to avoid the actions of work at hand. Gaining the beginnings where suspened plane meet more solid grounding they paused and the Gascon shaded his eyes from sun's intensity to scrutinize who currently traversed weatherdecks above. The grey focus travelled from foward regions to those aft settling on familiar form to which verbose of hailing was issued forth.

"Monsieur Lasseter! A moment of your time, s'il vous plait."

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

"Monsieur Lasseter! A moment of your time, s'il vous plait."

:: Mr. Lasseter turned to the hail... He saw Armand and another man standing on the docks, they had an anxious look about them, which caused a crease in Dorian's brow....::

Aye Lads!!! Come aboard!

:: The two frenchmen glanced at each other, then down to a small boat full of men Armand quietly spoke with the other, then turned to the QuarterMaster...::

"Would it trouble you to join us here?"

::Dorian shrugged his shoulders and headed for the gangway, soon he was on solid ground. He stopped an arms length from the men...::

Armand... Ah, Antoine is it? *the man nodded* Right... what might I do fer ye?

::Again the two glanced at each other slightly nervously...::

Come now... there be somat amiss?

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Armand motioned the Quartermaster into closer proximity to lessen the chance of conversation's overhearing.

"I would like to assume that we have become good aquaintances in the time we have known each other. I respect you as an officer and a man of honour..." The words trailed off and it was obvious that something of heavy natured content plagued his thoughts. Antoine shifted weight on crutch support and tried to act as if invisible.

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

::Dorian arched his brows as Armand's speech trailed off... slowly he nodded his head...::

So there be somethin' amiss.... I am honoured tha' ye put yer trust in me, for whatever this matter be... An' as such I shan't let ye down...

Do ye wish ta find a quiet place in which ta discuss... whate'er the matter at hand be?

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

The Gascon glanced sidelong to kindered briefly then back, "Non."

A small snap of time passed with nothing stirring the air but the creak of rigging and voices commanding the sway of cargo and Armand seemed to contemplate his next wording with care.

"Monsieur, something has occured that calls me away from the service of this noble vessel. That being said, and I can bore you with the details at a later time of near future, I wish to have your word of honour that you shall look after something of great personal worth to me."

The grey sights pinnioned Dorian's own of greener hue...

::This last statement caused Dorian to purse his lips and crease his brow....::

Calls you away... must be somethin' quite important ta take ye from us... If tha' be th' case.... You will be sorely missed, my friend...

::Another pause in the conversation hung in the air, then Mr. Lasseter took in a deep breath...::

Right... Right, then.... You have my Honour to watch over... what is it that ye would...

::It suddenly donned on him what Armand was asking... it caused him to be at a loss for words. All he could do was reach out and clasp Armand on the shoulder and nod... finally his voice came back to him...::

Aye.... You have my Honour, my word....

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

The Gascon relaxed slightly, but smooth brow creased briefly and he leaned to Dorian's ear.

"Dorian...I realize that you think you are aware in regard to the importance of which I ask. But, I also realize that you are not fully aware of the boon I request...She is my sister."

Armand regained former stance and watched the other closely.

::Dorian blinked... he opened his mouth, closed it and took a hard look at Armand....::

Aye.... yes, I see it now... I understand fully wot you ask of me.... It will be done...

::He clasped his hands behind his back and smiled a close lipped smile, shaking his head back and fourth slightly....::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Armand nodded in approval and some of the strain that lay as a heavy mantle over his lithe frame dissipated.

"Merci beaucoupe, mon ami. It means more to me than you will ever know or that I would ever be able to convey to you in words. Now it is a matter of relaying this matter to the one entrusted to you. A conversation that I do not look foward to, though it is not as if these circumstances have not been mentioned afore. If I might ask one more favor of you...and I promise this one to not be so heavy in burden."

He waited for Dorian's response to proceed.

"Would you be so kind as to let the Capitaine know that I desire an audience with him in near future...At his leisure, of course."

::With a quick nod and a wink Dorian took a step back...::

Indeed... I'll see if 'e's up to a talk.... A moment an' I shall return....

::He bowed his head then turned and strolled over to where the Captain stood...::

My compliments Cap'n.... Armand has asked me to see if 'e might have an audience wi' you.... sometime in th' near future... seems he may be wisked away from us... a ghost in 'is past come ta haunt 'im I think... a duty he calls it... Hasn't said exactly wot...

:: He stood and waited for William's reply, all the while watching as the crew made progress with the supplies....::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

William looked past the Quartermaster to wear Armand stood in the near company of unfamiliar faces. He was not surprised to hear that Armand was leaving. He had expected it almost daily. It had always shown in the way he watched the horizon from the rail. He had a look at times that spoke of unrighted wrongs and unspoken calculations of what might have been. Armand was a man who balanced equations and often made the impossible possible.

William nodded almost at once, even as these many thoughts passed through his mind. He didn't want to understand, but he did. After all, he was a man of many restless ghosts himself.

"We're losing too many at once." he confided in Dorian. the Quartermaster simply nodded.

"But we have gained one." William said, nodding in the direction of Mister Flint and noted with approval that the man had already shrugged off his dunnage to help a struggling crew member with a heavy cask. "Bill Flint. See that he gets a meal and two days rum. The man's been minus a meal in recent days."

"Aye, Cap'n."

William walked off to meet Armand and face his departure.

::Mr Youngblood, Miss Smith and myself met one of the Don's pages at the dock and handed him a small sealed parchment ment for only the Don's eyes. The young lad told us to wait as he quickly ran off to the Don's estate. Several moments had passed before he returned on a heavy carriage and with another young boy handling two horses. I bade the horses to my crew mates, and jumped onto the carriage. In the back was a small basket of breads and two small casks of rum,

"de granje El Don, por favor, disfruite'", replies the lad in the carriage.

Miss Smith and Mr Youngblood look quizzically at the young driver.

"He said the breads and rum are from the Don' estate," I tell them quietly, "He wants us to enjoy them," I say laughingly but not to seem as rude to the gesture. As I jump in the carriage, I pat the driver on the back and tell him "Gracias, muchos gracias", and wisper to him to let the Don know we appreciate his kindness.

As Tudor and Petee grab for a bite we begin the quick journey to the Don's estate.

The time is passed quietly with the loss of our two crewmates still so fresh on our minds. Even with the light breeze, the sun shining overheard, and a few swigs of rum, there was still the heavy pall of the days previous happenings.

The trip to the Don's estate seems to take a bit of time, probably due to the repeated stops needed to refill our tankards with the Don's generosity. As we arrived at the gates we were met by two of the horsemen to take away our steeds, yet the driver remained in the carriage.

A well dreesed gentleman casually opened the gates and bade us forward. Mr. Youngblood and Miss Smith went first and I followed behind, thanking the driver again.

"Momentito, por favor." The gentleman begins to tell us that the Don accepts, but wishes to have an audience with one of us and has a letter he wishes to return to the Captain. Mr. Youngblood and I look at each other and then the ground, as Miss Smith looks at both of us and exasperated finally blurts,

"Bloody 'ell. Men." Mr Youngblood, myself and even the attending servant laugh quietly and quickly rushed to lead Miss Smith to the Don.

The gentleman who met with us, tell us that the carriage will take us back to the docks and we are to give this letter to the dockmaster. The Master will then be able to fulfill the order.

I bow slightly and tell the man "Gracias." I look to make sure Petee is doing the same, but find his eye wandering to host of chambermaids who have come to see the visitors. I nudge him in the ribs and he quickly bows also.::

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

::With a quick nod and a wink Dorian took a step back...::

Indeed... I'll see if 'e's up to a talk.... A moment an' I shall return....

::He bowed his head then turned and strolled over to where the Captain stood...::

My compliments Cap'n.... Armand has asked me to see if 'e might have an audience wi' you.... sometime in th' near future... seems he may be wisked away from us... a ghost in 'is past come ta haunt 'im I think... a duty he calls it... Hasn't said exactly wot...

:: He stood and waited for William's reply, all the while watching as the crew made progress with the supplies....::

The two Frenchmen watched after Dorian's departure briefly, then turned to quiet conjectures and verbal contemplations. It was Antoine who noticed the flame crowned man's advance to their proximity, and William's natural carriage of noble bearing caused the ex-Lancier to pause mid-sentance, straigtening his stance as best as could be done at crutch support.

The Gascon turned slightly to what had drawn his comrade's attention, and unconsciencously reflected Antoine's stance of military echo. Judging what little could be gleened by William's expression, Armand quickly assumed that the Capitaine held some knowledge of the request's intention. Making proper introductions and explaining that his companion's grasp of Anglais was not what could be considered fluent, the Gascon paused to consider the man before him momentarily then continued to matters at hand.

"Capitaine Hollande, I wish to tell you that it has been with greatened pleasure that I have served you. I consider you a man of respectability and one unafraid to be compassionate to the needs of your subordinates. You command with a wise and steadfast insight and have always impressed me with such. It is a hard thing which I must convey to you and I hope you realize, as I am sure you do, that sometimes a man must go the direction that is presented to him. Sometimes things arise that cannot be denied in their demand."

Armand paused in vebose to contemplate, taking in the subtle nod of the other who stood patiently and held thoughts inwardly.

"As you recall, to obtain the Letter of Marque on La Desirade, it was neccesary to make a visitation to a local chateau...

William nodded aknowledgement, but no more in response.

"That visitation was to my uncle, Monsieur Laurant...or rather I should say the Comte De Leyse. The Chateau de la Soliel Dore' is under his possession and he carries much influence in the West Indies...Or, I should say he did."

Antoine nodded silent agreement.

"I have been aware that his health was failing, but of recent it no longer plagues him and it is my hope that he has found peace. My uncle never had children of his own...I am the only heir to be claimed by way of bloodline. It is regretful to me to gain this status in such a misfortunate way, but it is my duty and obligation to those of my family. I beg your pardon for such sudden upset, but it is something that I cannot avoid and am bound to..."

His voice faltered slightly, the cool grey sights cutting away to near vessel then back to present company.

" I am not in need of departure at this very moment...But, the demand shall make that a reality very soon and arrangements are secure. I shall return to La Desirade, leaving behind my sis...Mistress to your care and protection. Something I am sure that you are more than capable of handling with appropriate means. Please say nothing of this, for I have yet to make all clear to Mademoiselle Fitzgerald."

William gripped Armand's elbow and took him aside privately.

"Sister."

Armand said nothing for a moment, but since it wasn't a question he nodded and said, "Oui."

William nodded, looking toward the Watch Dog a moment.

"I had already guessed..."cousin", thinking you both too close not to be relations of some kind, but no matter. It would make no difference to me if she was your sister, twin, mother, cousin or comrade. Your devotion to her alone, blood or no, makes your relationship important and you have my assurance that I will let no harm come to her while I am able. As surgeon she is invaluable to the health and life of all those lives in my charge, but even if this were not the case, her friendship alone places her well being ahead of my own.

Go with my best wishes for your safety. I'll not keep back a man who has earned his right to come and go a dozen times over."

Armand's face was many things then, and sometimes comrades will step beyond the stations or ranks that separate them as William and Armand did now. They embraced for a moment as friends do when the outcome of events ahead are unknown to both. Afterward they clapped arms in a way that Romans would have understood. Further explanations were not exchanged and would have been unnecessary.

"Merci, Capitaine. Merci."

William smiled in return. This was the way to send away friends. Not borne down into the depths dressed in weathered hammocks, but sent off without words. Only hopes and understanding.

"See that you draw your wages from the Quartermaster, ere you go, and take sufficient food from the larder for your expedition."

::As Captain Brand spoke with Armand, the QuarterMaster approached the new fellow that had been pointed out to him...::

You be Bill Flint?

"Aye, Sar..."

I am th' QuarterMaster of this ship, Dorian Lasseter... I'll have ye take yer dunnage aboard, go see Mr. Badger, the Bo'sun, he'll show ya where ta stow yer gear...

"Aye-Aye, Sar!"

::Mr. Flint knuckled his brow and did as he was told, grabbing up his belonging and heading aboard to find Mr. Badger...

As he went, Mr. Lasseter clasped his hands behind his back, noting to himself the ease of being shipboard that the new lad possessed... He hoped that the task of the day would be soon at an end, soon they would be headed out to the deep blue....::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

::Mr. Youngblood and I seemed to make remarkable time back to the docks, due to the lack of rum on the return trip I'm sure.

We were able to find the harbormaster and provide him with the letter from the Don. As if it was the Don himself standing before him, he quickly lead us into the armoury at the wharf. Mr. Youngblood and I nearly fell over looking at the arms and cannon stores in front of us. Several helpers scurrying to the Master's orders drug three large 12 pounders out to us.

"¿Dónde esta señors'?"

Snapped back to the question by the gunner's mates, we replied "The Watch Dog," nearly simultaneously.

"¿Que?" he replies. The Master removed his cap and struck the questioning mate on the back of the head,

"Capitan Hollande tu' bobo". The helper nodded and quickly began moving the cannon out onto the wharf.

I gave the master a few coins for his troubles, he bowed and gave his thanks. As Petee and left the armoury we could see the cannon rapidly making it's way down the docks towards thier destination.::

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

So much to do, so little time. The thought remains stuck in my head as I survey the arriving stores. We were incredibly lucky in the way of food here. Among the usual amounts of salt pork, dates, currants, Suffolk and Cheshire cheeses, and local soft tack, was a small array of local meats which, while not lasting long, would make many fine meals. The small amount of fresh deer and bear meats had already been deposited onto the ships meatsafe overhanging the stern. I luckily acquired some live ducks to add to the live stock whose livers will be quite suitable for a fine dinner and, I had also bartered with some local fishermen for a supply of fresh wild catfish and eel. As I go about my duties my head is already full of ideas and images of boiled ducks smothered with onions and the like.

GageSig.png

William smiled in return.  This was the way to send away friends.  Not borne down into the depths dressed in weathered hammocks, but sent off without words.  Only hopes and understanding.

"See that you draw your wages from the Quartermaster, ere you go, and take sufficient food from the larder for your expedition."

Armand shook his head in negation and for the first time during the legnth of their discussion, he offered easy smile.

"Merci, non merci, Capitaine." The words were intertwined with a small marking of mirth. "Your offer is most generous, but I would prefer that my wage portion be kept in your possession. One never knows when such things can make a difference in time of need. I assure you that coin or supplies are not needed, though your kindness and generosity are greatly appreciated. The vessel that will allow my passage back to Desirade is one of fifteen that are now under my ownership with the acceptance of station. We shall depart with the morning tide as is scheduled."

The Gascon glanced to where the brigantine could be barely glimpsed at current position.

"Capitaine, I do sincerely hope that if I can ever be of service to you for anything within the rights of my status and influence, that all you need do is ask. There are certain perks to title that can be used to advantage. Please know that you are welcome at Chateau de la Soliel Dore' anytime and no notice need be given in advance."

Armand exhaled heavily and his shoulders seemed to take on an invisible weight of great measure.

"Now to convey to my kindred soul what has come full circle. We shall speak again afore the morn and please accept my gratitude for your understanding, amongst other things."

He laid a hand on William's shoulder in means of brotherly affection, offering once more the easy smile before turning away and rejoining Antoine.

On an ethereal plane, two of the Three looked on with approval as one thread was sheared in half to be spliced eleswhere...

Bill did as he was told and made himself known to the Bosun, upon receiving his berth in the crew's quarters he hung his hammock, stowed his gear , shrugged out of his just-au-corps and returned top side to continue loading the supplies. He was happy to be putting to sea again and was eager to weigh anchor. He was already starting to like the crew. Captain Brand had seemed an affable enough fellow, unlike his last captain who'd been a drunken bully who's love of the bottle was exceeded only by his love of the cat and his willingness to use it for all crimes real and imaginary as Billy and several of the other's backs could attest. Whistling a jaunty little shanty as he went about his duties, Billy seemed interested in nothing more than his work. However his shrewd mind had already made note of the number of cannon, and made a few quick calculations of the amount of supplies being taken on in relation to the number of crew. "Hmmm," he thought," This be sufficient only fer the keepin' o' the crew, no merchantman this one, reckon this be a privateer says I." This thought made Bill smile to himself, if his guess was correct it would mean a steady profit and a chance for revenge against the French bastards who'd sent his brothers to the bottom.

THIS CABIN-LAD'S GROWN HAGGARD, SO IN THE POT HE GOES AND FROM HIS SKIN WE'LL MAKE A LITTLE DRUM TO BEAT AS WE FIRE HUMAN HEADS FROM CANNONS AT OUR FOES. AND SET THE SEAS ABLAZE WITH BURNING RUM.

Lieutenant Lamaire, having eaten his fill in Corsican company followed by catnap of needed warrant, had risen fully refreshed. Sleep obtained in smallish incriments had become a common way of life over the years of ship board life. So much so, that even in circumstances of liesure, he tended to follow the pattern. With no distractions to keep his attentions to the bindings of linen covers, Dominique deserted quarter confine to seek fresh air above.

Of unconscience habit, he scanned the semi-open surround with the gaining of weather decks then continued aft for current report. Satisfied with all said, the Bordelaise left word with the officer of the watch that he was going to pay a social call "next door" and if needed, he could assuredly be found there.

With jaunty step, the Frenchman bounded down gangway to procure quay solidity and took in the flurry of action just ahead. Knowing eyes watched as the process of cargo load was handled with articulate and careful bearing, making note that the percession of wagons now numbered five. As he passed one, quick observation was made that occupying driver's seating was a fine example of local fare, obviously along for the company and staying perch in effort to not be underfoot. This gave pause to intentions, and though not dressed in any means of formal attire, Dominique was fast to offer flourish of bow...never able to resist a pretty face. The Maid in turn smiled in response, her fine wrought cheeks coloring slightly. Lamaire offered words of flirtatious kindness then proceeded on, making quick mental notes for future referance.

Mother Nature had delt a kind hand in regard to the afternoon's presentation of temperature. It was not excessivly humid and there was a gentle onshore breeze to stir what little was trying to hold power. Nearing the gangway of neighboring vessel, the Frenchman glanced up to see who was in near proximity, and spying Master and Quartermaster, called forth loudly to be heard over the barrage of shore to ship goings on.

"Bonjour, mes amies!"

An impish grin crossed Lamaire's features as both men paused in discussion to center on where he stood below.

"Requesting permission to board, Capitaine!"

William smiled warmly and gave gesture to proceed, Dorian could be seen chuckling.

"Merci beaucoup, Capitaine!" A smallish bow proffered, Dominique traversed the angled plank and weaving through various hazards, came to rest near the two men hailed.

"It appears that things are progressing well, non? No longer the huge parade of wagons on the quay as earlier this day. I am sure you are both quite ready to leave this spit of land and venture forth into the whims of the wind. Too much time on shore always leads to problems..." He paused, pursing his lips in thought then looked at them presenting a vissage of mock innocence.

"At least it always seems the case in regard to myself..."