Pyrates of the West Coast

::The Merriment on deck was incredible... In the short time this crew had been together it seemed the bonds had formed well. The rum was flowing, the music was amaizing, the dancing... well the dancing was vastly entertaining... Mr. Lasseter passed as best he could around and through the friviality, smiling and laughing with the lads and lasses, occasionally stopping to listen to a joke or tall tale. Through the crowd he kept his eye on the captain, but only in glimpses. He gathered he was in conversation with somebody, but could not see who through the capering dancers... once or twice he appeared to be looking and gesturing to the french ship off their quarter, but Dorian could not be sure... As the music changed He saw William enter the fray of dancers with the Surgeon in tow. Mr. Lasseter laughed loudly, watching them prance about, obviously Tempest was pleased with the health of the captain to dance with him. Partners changed and changed again while he looked on with pleasure. All eyes were on the Captain and the others in the dance circle, giving him the freedom to pass about the crew, virtually unnoticed. A huge weight had been lifted from his shoulders, and the strain of it had taken a toll, but it showed very little on his features. However, when the celebration comes to an end a long and deep slumber was due, so he hoped, even prayed...

His wanderings brought him to the rail where he looked out across the water to the corvette and to the shore, wondering what lay ahead concerning them. At that moment he remembered the note from the Don in his pocket, reaching in and withdrawing the parchment, he looked at it in the flickering light of the lamps. There on the opposite side of the note from the wax seal was his name in very fine script... ::

A'right... I s'pose now'll due...

::Taking a small folding knife from the other pocket of his wesket, he sliced open the wax seal, folded and replaced the knife, then opened the note. He tried reading the contents in the dim light, however the script was rather small and tight, a different hand than what was on the outside. Dorian folded the note back to its former shape and pocketed it again, taking up his jack he headed below to a better lit and quieter space. Finding himself in the Wardroom he made to settle himself in the large chair at the table. stopping in mid sit, he smiled then continued... ::

Heh... This'll be th' last time I sit 'ere... Now... lessee wot th' Don 'as ta say...

:: The note came out of his pocket and was spread on the tabletop under steady light of the lamp above. The script was finely writ, yet he was still having a hard time reading it... pressing his fingers to his eyes for a moment, then trying to read it again... ::

Lardy... tis rediculous..... wot 'e do, write this n' greek?

:: He stood to adjust the lamp light and nearly fell on the table top... Laughing as he regained his balance, ::

Ah ha! tis mine eyes... Gonna hafta wait til th' morn! I's too tipsy ta read!

::folding the parchment again and stuffing it into his pocket he laughed again and made his way back out onto the main deck to rejoin the celebration....::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The dancing went on until most of the crew was either too exhausted to stand or too drunk. William was more the former than the latter, careful to drink very little. He and Tudor were some of the few not heavily drowned in the mirth of rum, but that didn't bother William. Let them have their celebration.

Miss Smith pointed out their obvious overindulgence, but William just shook his head and showed little bother.

"Given the degree to which they took to the music and drink, they must have been in great need of it. They are too sober and diligent in their duties to go very long unrewarded. Besides, I enjoyed watching a few dance themselves right over the rail. And the rescues were equally funny."

William spied Mister Lasseter and motioned him over. "My good man." he began, placing a hand on the Quartermaster's shoulder. He wanted to say something profound to the man who had served so well in his absence. And even more, he wanted to express his heart felt joy at seeing him again as a friend, but the words failed him. Instead, he just smiled. He was almost certain that he would never have to explain his brotherly feelings towards Mister Lasseter. Some things never needed to be said. True friends understood without explanation, so he talked of other things.

"We have much to discuss, but my orders for the day are as follows. First, no one shall work any more than they wish to work. Second, the watches shall be kept, but be kind enough to invite volunteers for the lookouts. And do try to pick the sober ones for that duty. Also, once you have chosen the watch, you are ordered to bed, Mister Lasseter. You seem thinned by too little sleep."

William put an arm across Miss Smith's shoulders and smiled at her and Mister Lasseter. "I am glad that both of you are well. Forgive my long absence. I was careless." William would have said more, but he didn't want to dampen the mood that still carried from the night's merry making.

"Will you tell us what happened to you, Captain?" Tudor asked.

William nodded. "I will share all that I know with the crew on the evening next."

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpg

"We have much to discuss, but my orders for the day are as follows.  First, no one shall work any more than they wish to work.  Second, the watches shall be kept, but be kind enough to invite volunteers for the lookouts.  And do try to pick the sober ones for that duty.  Also, once you have chosen the watch, you are ordered to bed, Mister Lasseter.  You seem thinned by too little sleep."

::As the captain gave his orders Mr. Lasseter nodded with a smile after each had been give, but stopped at the order given directly at him about getting sleep, even though he longed for such a slumber, his sense of duty held him in check from diving at the chance to do so...::

Aye-aye Cap'n.... Ship'll be secured rightly... An' I'll be abed soon enough... soon as all necessaries 'r made, which brings me to somat 'ere...::

::He reached into his pocket and withdrew the parchment from the Don.::

I... We have business wi' th' Don... Dunno wot just yet, but we ave business to attend to... Prolly should get this read an' find out wot needs ta be done presently... I took th' liberty o' completein' th' exchange a' Mr. Sulky, Skully wi' the Don fer monies and a letter o' reprisal among other things... We was back in port fer that when ye made yerself known on th' pier... "Tha's wot Mr. PEW was ashore fer... An' we need some supplies, as we were kind enough ta give some o' ours ta a spanish merchant... in exchange fer some twenty hogsheads o' fine french wine... Hmm... dunno if we got inta tha' this eve...

No matter... Cutter's still rigged, more 'r less an' so's th Longboat fer makin' trips ta shore fer them supplies an' such.... I'll get tha' started....

::He smiled and nodded to the captain, handing him the parchment and turned to gather the soberest of the crew for duty....::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

William nodded, resigned to the absolute requirement of duty that his Quartermaster subscribed to. "Thank you, Mister Lasseter."

He stood aside with the letter that was given to him and went near a lamp to read it by. He read it not once but three times, always careful to consider every word written in documents of this nature. He had learned this lesson the hard way in the past, owing his entire career as a wanted man to a mistranslation. After reading it, he carefully tucked it away in a pocket of his new coat.

He asked Miss Smith to fetch him some water and he remained at the rail pondering the many things to come. All about him, Mister Lasseter was questioning those he thought most able to attend to the necessary duties of the ship.

::The QuarterMaster did not tread lightly as he made his way through the bodies strewn about the decks, occasionally he would nudge a lad with his boot, or bend down and roll a head to the side, checking for life beyond inebreation... after a short while and two trips about the decks he had assembled enough men for a proper watch... ::

Aright lads... yer all we got fer th' watch... e'ery one else's so full o' rum n' such ta be dead ta th' world... Ye be 'r eyes n' ears til yer relieved... gonna hafta keep yer wits about ye... Press, Whiting, Thatcher, Morrell, an' Woodington.... yer Starb'd watch...Monahan, Smyth, Hingerty, Roche, n' Marchand... Larb'd watch... take yer muskets n' cutlass... raise an' alarm iffn anything ill happens.... We'll... We'll rise t' th' occasion... Off ye go now...

::The men headed to their respected watch areas some dragging a bit, but able to perform their duty...::

Heh... lardy I 'ope we got a quiet time ahead... ain't one o' these lads gonna stir e'en if a broadside were fired at us...

::That done, Mr. Lasseter turned towards the stern of the ship, headed up to the binnacle and withdrew the logbook, quill and inkpot, scribbled into the book a passage that he hoped would be ledgeable to the next person to read it, including himself, replaced all in their nitch and stood, looking out across the water at the corvette, Le Requiem... ::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

*A bemused smile crossed her face while she worked with the day's last light drawing to an end. She hadn't exspected the Captain to react the way he did. For most part she got simple nods of approval from the town folk when she helped at he father's shop. No the Captain's complament was something she would treasure for a long time to come.

Kendra2.jpg

"Courage is the decision to fly straight into the flame while knowing the consequences"~ The Adventures Of A Notorious Youth Capt. Hook

By: J. V. Hart

"A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving."~Lao Tzu 490-570 BC

---------

Yes, I am leaving the pub. I don't know when or if I will come back to this port. I will check in from time to time. Until then:

*raising goblet of good cheer*

" To high adventure, and wild romance....long may they endure!"

For I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content

Philippians 4:11

Twitter:

TwittKnitter

Facebook:

shanamartin1

From deep within the folds and layers of hand crafted quilts, Jean-Micheale watched half-lidded the dance of single flame on near table. The simple architecture of cottage surround did little to belay small drafts of tropical warm from invading waxen crown jewel. Each new waft brought with it the deep green scents of outside flora and a prodding to the small flame causing it to waver and whirl. The burble of water accompanied nature's parfumes from a smallish creek that lay in close proximity to the small adobe abode, well known to the two who now occupied its' sparten walls.

The scents mingling with sound and low light, gave comfort and peace not often felt by the Frenchman on land. Closing his eyes fully, he relished the moment and drew the nuzzled form of Maria Vasquez closer. This was not the first tryst, but one of a long ongoing occurance that had happened since their first meeting two years in the past. Not that it was common knowledge, these meetings were always exicuted in secrecy with only two others having knowledge. He was the reason Maria had turned away countless suitors and her eyes, no other man would or could measure.

It had been with deep regret that he had told her of his recent marriage. She had listened quietly and although the telling brought her low inwardly, Maria Vasquez never allowed it to show. She voiced her understanding to the arrangement and observed that things had a way of working themselves out for the better...One just had to bide their time.

It was this conversation and statement that rattled the halls of his mental halls when the brush of soft footstep from outside caught his attention. The amber sights focused on the doorway while right hand reached for the charged service pistol laying within quick grasp on the hard clay floor. A muffled rap sounded sequence, a specified sequence that gave announcement to the hour. Whispering quietly to her that they must leave the adobe haven, Maria stirred.

Under the heavy umbrella of palm fonds Dominique and Maria's handmaiden Emanuel, conversed in hushed tones. The hour was growing late and they had come to retrieve their charges while most of the isle still lay under Morpheus's charm. Within the hour, all would be back in place...The ladies within the large expanse of Castillian Estate and the gentleman returning to rule over wooden relm.

The full body of Bella Luna crept from behind cumulus veil and spied momentarily, upon four figures weaving stealthily through the darkness of Night's mystery.

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

(As the last laughs faded and those who could still walk made their ways to their places of slumber, Ciaran was relieved to see that Mister Lasseter had secured enough mates fer the night watch. Although he never drank too much himself...a lookout must never do so...he was definitely ready fer a good sleep. But with Diego away and the old cook no longer with us, Ciaran made one last stop by the galley. There, he brewed up a large pot of coffee and carried it and tins up to those poor lads who would need open eyes tonight. Many words of sincere thanks were given before he returned to his bunk and fell into the richest of sleeps.)

I wonder if one of the most important steps on our journey is the one in which we throw away the map.

-- Loreena McKennitt

My fathers knew of wind and tide, and my blood is maritime.

-- Stan Rogers

I don't pretend to be captain weird.

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

William moved among the watchmen, speaking with each in turn. Many of them were only just awake enough to perform those duties required of them, but several were alert and he engaged them with conversation. After a time the smell of coffee wafted onto the deck and it was followed by Ciaran carrying a tray laden with steaming cups and tankards. He made the rounds with these even as Miss Smith brought William the bucket and dipper. He drank again and politely declined the coffee as Ciaran passed.

"I think half of the watch is too blind to see and the rest are seeing double." Ciaran joked.

"Then between them they should get the count correct if any ship or ships are sighted." Tudor returned.

Ciaran and William were both surprised into a laugh and after a moments pause they laughed again. Tudor seemed delighted to have made them both laugh and William kissed her on the cheek. "For the fine jest." He explained, as she colored just a little in the lamp light. Ciaran smiled and carried himself off to bed in the wake of many thanks for the coffee and William wandered off to find Mister Lasseter that they might speak on the subject of treacherous roads ahead.

::Dorian had stood looking out over the water for some time, he had known that others were about, the smell of coffee wafted by, and seeing Ciaran handing the steaming brew to those on watch was given a nod. Turning his mind back to the shadows on shore and on deck of the corvette, he withdrew his glass and sighted through it, studying the ships and shoreline... A burst of laughter quickly drew his attention to the waist, seeing the Captain, Tudor and Ciaran in a glib mood brought a smile to his face as he turned back to continue his spying...::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

William joined Mister Lasseter at the rail. He too looked out at the corvette.

"These waters are becoming crowded with all the nations of the Earth. There shall soon be no place we can go without crossing under the standard of a foreign nation."

Mister Lasseter agreed and William turned and put his back to the rail, watching the watches and saying nothing else for a time. He made himself familiar with the sight and sounds of the quarterdeck and readjusted his new coat.

"I have not seen the Monsignor show himself since my return. Would I be mistaken in thinking that he is not aboard the ship?

"I have not seen the Monsignor show himself since my return.  Would I be mistaken in thinking that he is not aboard the ship?

::Mr. Lasseter's brow creased and he frowned a bit at the Captain's comment and question about the Monsignor... pushing off the rail and crossing his hands behind his back, he looked up at the masts then down to the deck before speaking...::

Indeed, he's not aboard... seems not long after yer dissappearance, as I was gatherin' information as ta see wot might a happened, and gettin' the crew back aboard, he took th' liberty of disobeyin' orders... I had order'd no one was ta leave th' ship wi'out my permission until we had an idea wot 'appened... Seems he thought I was movin' slowly on th' matter an' jammed th' door ta th' wardroom, where I was, stole th' dingy an took Ajayi with 'im... tho, 'e did send th' Moore back in th' dingy wi' a note... sayin' 'e had tracked ye 'cross land... Since then, we've heard not a peep... An' if it were up ta me... I'll not have 'im back aboard this ship while I's here...

:: all the while he had been talking, his shoulders had tightened, along with the muscles in his arms and neck... they relaxed slightly as he finished...::

So.... I dunno wot else ta say 'bout 'im...

Oh, an we 'ave a 'guest in th' cable tier... a Lady Ilex... she sold ye out ta th' Dutchies...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

William's eyebrows first raised and then furrowed. He also left the rail to place his hands behind his back as Mister Lasseter explained the absence of the Monsignor. Then, at the mention of Lady Ilex, his hands rested at his side.

"I see. Well...this is strange news. Well...of course..." He began, but didn't finish. Then after a moment's pause. "Who is Lady Ilex?"

Lady Ilex... she 'was' the owner o' th' bawdy house in this 'ere port... seems she had 'er hands in most e'erything goin' on 'round 'ere... rather mercenary in 'er views, makin' a soverin on wote'er she could... but she held out on payin' dues ta the gov... they stormed 'er place, set it afire... Mr. PEW was there... seems 'e know'd 'er from elsewhere... 'he an a few o' th' lads were still ashore when all this happened, brought 'er along a'ter they found out wot she'd done... Oh, an' 'er ledgers... If it ain't all a falsity, she got 'er wealth hidden on th' island, Mr. PEW thinks 'e knows where...

::He shrugged at the last bit...::

Now ye be back, mayhaps we c'n have a look... on'y reason she be alive still is I was tryin' ta get confermation outta her... that an' a ship on th' horizon....

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

William only nodded after Mister Lasseter was through. He felt neither angry or satisfied that another conspirator had been captured. In truth, he only just had enough anger for Augustus Muller. He didn't know how to feel about this mystery woman in the hold. The talk of hidden wealth was at once more important to him than revenge, but he said nothing of it. Instead, he invited Mister Lasseter to show him to the prisoner.

They went forward into the cable tier to find the huddled mass that had once been the proud and willful Lady Ilex. She was in a heap of cables and bound with her share of them. She did not stir. Mister Lasseter raised the lamp over her and William regarded her as he gave Mister Lasseter a nod. The Quartermaster kicked her just enough to wake her.

She came around slowly at first, then shielded her face. William noted that she had been beaten once or twice about the head. It reminded him of his recent adventures in captivity. She seemed confused at first about her observers, but recognition was already dawning in her face when Mister Lasseter made introductions.

"Cap'n, may I introduce the Lady Ilex?"

Her eyes went a little wide and there was a sort of confession in her face. At first she could not speak, though her mouth moved. Finally she managed a small and feeble whisper. "Red..Wake..." He smiled a little then, and it was not the smile he used by daylight. This was the smile that unfurled over bloody waters like a dark standard. This was the smile touched off by the matchlight of her fear. He hadn't heard his old nickname spoken with such awe and trepidation for years. Even the Dutch of the Danzig had not said it with such utter dread. The smile twisted across his face like a line of blood.

"Miss Ilex." he returned, all but hissing the end of her name. He made no effort to express any warmth in his bearing. He was all wheels and cogs then. He set his mercy carefully aside and bent to put a finger gently under her chin. The touch did not express care. It spoke of absolute obedience and harsh reprisals for any disregard.

"I understand that you have wealth amassed somewhere on this island. Pray it is enough to satisfy the debt of my imprisonment. If you have hitherto presented my men with false and misleading details regarding its location, then I shall personally remind you what I am capable of."

He had no idea if she believed any of those stories that described his atrocities. Many of them were untrue and most had been exaggerated over time, but her eyes seemed to say, "Please, God, deliver me from this evil." and that was enough for him.

"Goodnight, Miss Ilex."

::Mr. Lasseter watched the expresssions on both of their faces, the look of fear o n Lady Ilex's and the look of murderous intent on William's... In a certain way this amused him... watching as the betrayed met the betrayer, as the spark of hope was extinguished from the woman's eyes, the thought that she just might survive was dashed to pieces on the rocks as she met the eyes of the man she had made a profit on by being an informer... As the Captain bid her goodnight, the QuarterMaster smiled a wicked smile...::

Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde*....

*Beware of the anger of a patient man.

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Morning on the Watch Dog passed without incident. Mister Lasseter dutifully set every crew member to work, careful to retire those sailors that had made up the night watches. Many blinking sailors came up to the gun deck, but they were soon roused by the air and the coffee continuously sent up from the galley. The task of running out the barge and cutter soon evolved into a steady shipment of fresh supplies from shore. William relieved Mister Lasseter after some rest and then Mister Lasseter relieved him again. The sleep was insufficient for both, but neither of them seemed to show or care about this. Within the short hours of the first two watches of the day, much of the routine aboard the Watch Dog had settled again into an easy stride.

With the arrival of the Afternoon Watch, William once again retired for some much needed rest.

::throughout the Afternoon watch, the final packages and parcels, crates and barrels were brought aboard and stowed away, the crew were given their rest for the evening meal as the first Dog Watch was rung... Dorain wiped the sweat from his brow as he sat on the breech of 'Sofia', taking his ease with a tankard of water, which still had the faint smell and taste of rum. The barrel of the cannon was warm, almost hot, but the twenty four pounder cannons were the best to relax on. Being made of brass, they didn't hold the heat like the iron barrelled cannons that were painted black, they stayed cool enough so you didn't have to put something down before taking a seat. So, the QuarterMaster sat and drank his fill, looking about the ship, admiring the work that the crew had done... eventually he stood, stretched his back and headed to the quarterdeck. Soon he would be relieved by Mr. Badger or the Captain. At that time he would make his way to his quarters and hope he had the wherewithall to put up his hammock and not kill himself as he climbed in for what he hoped would be his first peaceful night of rest since the first time he had laid eyes on La Margarita...::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

When William awoke in the comfort of his own chambers aboard the Watch Dog, small as they were, he was relieved in a way that he couldn't explain. He lay about for the better part of an hour doing absolutely nothing and enjoying it to the fullest. Soon he realized how selfish this was given the work of the others and he dressed and went immediately to the galley. He sent for Miss Smith and dismissing the galley crew. When she joined him there he asked her to assist him in the preparation of the evening meal. They worked side by side on a treat that William hadn't prepared in years, but a treat that he was sure would find favor among several crew members from the British Isles, especially Mister Lasseter, who had worked tirelessly since his disappearance and return.

When the last of the supply boats was returning to the Watch Dog, he sent word to all of the ships officers and officer's mates to join him in the ward room for dinner. He greeted each in turn as they arrived, careful to thank each of them for their recent service in his absence. Many of them tried to down play their work as the duty required of any sailor, but he would have no refusals to his compliments. Instead, he had Miss Smith show each of them to their seat and set a glass of French wine in every hand. When the last of them had arrived he unveiled the shepherd's pie and Yorkshire pudding he and Miss Smith had labored over in the kitchen. The two dishes had become one of William's favorites ever since he first came to England and he was glad of their approval.

"Lad..." Mister Lasseter began, and almost immediately corrected himself. "Cap'n. Sorry, Cap'n."

"No harm done, Mister Lasseter. Your error is a compliment and shows that the meal is an ample distraction. However, you must also thank Miss Smith."

Many warm thanks were showered on them both and the conversation flowed like the wine.

Le Requiem

Lamaire leaned with casual ease against the support of foremast and watched with mild curiosity, the well aquainted stern of Le Chien de Garde. With frequency, reports stated that since her arival, crewmembers of the Anglais vessel had been observed taking something of more than mild interest to the going ons of Le Requiem. The ex-Lieutenant could not help but be amused at the thought of the other vessel feeling some threat for her French cousin. Lamaire had assumed that by now, with Capitaine Brand now restored to his rightful command, that such curiosities would have been put to rest. Never the less, reports continued to be relayed of scrutiny taking place.

As it was that Jean-Micheale was once again in Don Vasquez's company for the afternoon and early evening, Lamaire stood duty as commanding entity. Giving sidelong glance aft showed nothing more than what was expected while moored in a friendly port. Though there was no sign of laxity in duty, the general mood of the ship's company gave an air of more relaxed bearing. A quarter of Requiem's population were ashore, and those left behind were in watch rotation. Never to be caught unawares, the corvette could be compared to that of a cat giving an faux appearence of sleep. A guise that would be struck with the slightest inclination...Too comfortable was the folly of fools.

Stepping forward to rail barrier, Dominique extended the 'glass that was a constant companion and scanned the line of Anglais kindred. She seemed no different from when last encountered to the north and the general atmosphere gave forth a stance of relaxed atmosphere...though not so relaxed to be considered easy prey. The young Frenchman gave an unconscience nod of approval to the order in which Capitaine Brand oversaw his charge. Closing the 'glass and returning it to resting place, Dominique considered the conversation betwixt himself and Jean-Micheale over morning meal.

When dawn once again returned, Lamaire would cross the liquid divide to pay visitation to yon brethren. A message, which now lay in private quarters, was to be presented and answer waited on. It would be interesting to see how the correspondance was received...even more so, what reply would be given in kind...

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

The Surgeon stood from her seating betwixt Armand and Mister Lasseter. Fixing William with an expression of affectionate tincture, she reached for a nearby bottle of spirit. Filling the emptyness of drinking vessel, she raised it to his direction. The din of conversations lowered as others present noticed her action and the Captain inclined one brow, ever so slightly. Offering a smile of warm quality, she spoke...

" A glass of wine with you, sir."

Miss Tudor topped off William's wine, as the others watched on.

" I raise salute to you, Captain. To your safe return, may we never be parted unwillingly again. Welcome home, William."

Words of echoed sentiment made the round, the air rang with mirth and merriment as the evening progressed on. The dishes cleared at the demise of delightful fare gave no pause to conversational flow, though some verbose had gained a thick tongued quality. Leaning to the right, Tempest gained the attention of her Celtic companion, her eyes giving forth deepened concern.

" How are you bearing up, Dorian? I full know that one night's rest is far from enough to counter what you have lost as of recent events."

Mister Lasseter turned slightly in seating, and placing elbow on table surface, rested chin to palm support. Sea weathered features told the tale of his weariness, though the glint that floated hazel sights gave no recognition to such, and an easy smile appeared.

" Tis a thing I will survive an' ye should be one to know from same suffered fate."

" Oui...Unfortunatly, it is a truth I have known and experienced on more occasions than I care to recount." Her fine line of brow furrowed to the acknowledgement. " With the Captain's return, perhaps things will calm and you will gain ample opportunity in which to gain much needed rest. In truth, when all accounts have been settled, I see no reason that you should not ne allowed an amount of time off..." Reaching over, under table's cover, she rested right hand on his near leg.

The easy smile returned, though a bit wider than its' predecessor. Dorian made fleet glance to William then back, dropping arm from elbow's prop. Leaning in to cut distance betwixt in half, he made faux guise of innocent bearing and commented.

" Aye...time off would be a fine thing. An' soon our dealin's here should be done. Mayhaps an inspection o' the land aquired in exchange fer the Dutchy be in order." He cocked a brow to punctuate possibilities.

A hint of smile played her lips, as she too glanced briefly to William,

" Perhaps..."

::The QuarterMaster woke begrudgingly, sat up in his hammock and waited for his eyes to adjust, rubbing the sleep out of them, trying to coax them into focusing in the dim light of his quarters. He swung a leg over and found the deck below, reaching out and feeling for the small pitcher and basin hoping that some water might further his want of sight. His hand contacted the cool side of the basin and the pitcher held within, so he dipped his fingers. Withdrawing his dampened hand, he ran it across his eyes, blinked several times and was rewarded with clear vision. Standing, he picked the basin off the deck and placed it on the chest, poured an amount of water and wetting a cloth scrubbed his face and neck... Now fully awake, he dressed and headed out to the galley, intent on breaking his fast and getting on with this days activities...::

Halloo in th' Galley? Halloo? Hmm....

::Not getting a response, he helped himself to what he could, stoked up the galley stove and reheated last eve's coffee and a few freshly made ships biscuits, slathered on some salt butter, then took his meal topside. Nodding to the watch, he made his way to the holy ground and sat on the Blackwood, the nine pounder was cool from the evening and the sun had yet to heat the metal, making it a comfortable perch....::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

*Another beautiful day, a day for to sing and she would have. If she di not feel so run down*

"That's what you get for sitting in the damp air finishing the Captain's Coat." *Simon wagged his finger to stress the point just as she sneezed. Wiping her nose with a lace handkerchief. Stuggling with the stiching to Mad Jack's new tricorn.* "You really should rest Miss Kendra."

I will, I just need to finish the last few stiches. It tis his gift you know."

"yes mam I know" She continued to sneeze and wipe, trying so hard to finish.

Kendra2.jpg

"Courage is the decision to fly straight into the flame while knowing the consequences"~ The Adventures Of A Notorious Youth Capt. Hook

By: J. V. Hart

"A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving."~Lao Tzu 490-570 BC

---------

Yes, I am leaving the pub. I don't know when or if I will come back to this port. I will check in from time to time. Until then:

*raising goblet of good cheer*

" To high adventure, and wild romance....long may they endure!"

For I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content

Philippians 4:11

Twitter:

TwittKnitter

Facebook:

shanamartin1

William came up from the Ward Room with a chair and set it on the Quarterdeck.

"Good morning, Mister Lasseter."

"Cap'n."

William sat down and began to peruse the logbooks, stopping from time to time to question Mister Lasseter on particular points in the ship's records. He asked many questions regarding the crew in his absence. He focused on those events regarding the Monsignor and his departure, careful to understand what had happened. Mister Lasseter, ever the practical man, conveyed the events as soundly as he could without interjecting his personal opinions. He was ever a man of facts and figures.

After a time, William stood at the stern rail with the log tucked under his arm.

"I believe that the Monsignor acted on his feelings when he chose to leave the ship in search of my whereabouts. And while I cannot condone his actions as the Captain of this ship, I cannot fully condemn them, as the intent was in my best interest." William paused for a time, shaking his head. "I wonder if he could ever understand how his actions have been at once flattering and insulting to me. He flies into the unknown to find me and by doing so, he disobeys me in disobeying the man in whom I placed my utmost confidence. It is a mutiny for my sake...but against my wishes."

Mister Lasseter said nothing, careful to fill the silence with a mouthful of buttered biscuits. William smiled at this, wagging a finger in the Quartermaster's direction. "You are a man of few words and of profound patience. Any other man might have taken this welcome opportunity to complain about the disobedience of fellow seaman. You'd have every right to." William smiled again, for Mister Lasseter did not speak or even nod.

"Well, the Monsignor is a passionate fellow. His prolonged absence is troublesome and I am beset with two paths. One, I go in search of him. Two, I do not. If I go in search of him, then I put aside all enterprises until he is found...and what then? I cannot let him aboard again, for he might surely depart again unbid. His passion to do what he thinks he must unbridled by any orders might lead me to this intersection a third time. But if I do not look for him then my conscience might be seared ever after for abandoning one who abandoned all for me." William let out an exasperated sigh, balling up one fist on the rail. He shook his head for a long time before looking back at the Quartermaster.

"Suggestions, my good fellow?"

::Finishing a biscuit and washing it down with the now tepid day old coffee, Mr. Lasseter took a second more before answering his Captain's question...::

As we shall be in port 'ere a day 'r two more... we c'n ask about... mebee some o' the folks may 'ave seen 'r heard of 'im... last I know, accordin' ta th' note, was he'd gone 'cross th' island trackin' a wagon rut trail... nary a word since... Now, if by chance we do get word o' his whereabouts... I cannot say what ta do... on'y a handfull o' th' crew knows wot 'e done... most jus' know he been gone.... there may be some scuttlebutt about....

::Taking the last mouthfull of coffee in the tankard, he made a strange face, then quickly turned and spit it out over the side, sputtering some, he finally regained his composure and turned back to William...::

Ah hmm... got a mouthfull o' grinds... sorry...

Where was I? Ahhh.... I s'pose iffn' 'e wishes back aboard, there gonna hafta be one powerful understandin' made betwixt he an' th' crew n' officers.... where 'e stands in the hiarchy, wot' 'e's accountable fer an wot not....

Best I c'n figure til th' time comes....

::He shrugged slightly and brought the tankard to his lips, stopped and looked at it in mild disgust, then shook the remaining dregs out over the side...::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif