Pyrates of the West Coast

:: As the QuarterMaster makes his way to the two wayward sailors, a look of vehemence in his eyes...::

Ye best be explainin' yerse'fs... ye missed yer call from liberty... Cap'n's not pleased in th' least.... I's ta put ye under guard on th' cutter til I's done wi' some business...

:: He stood passively... waiting for an explanation, though any man who knew of him knew that what he showed the world could be very different than what lay beneath the surface...::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Dancing?  The same could be said of your answers, though I would have chosen the word dodging."  He smiled and leaned on the rail.  "No, Doctor.  I put the question to you because I don't know what it is that I should ask.  I'm just fencing at night.  Swinging hither and yon in hopes of hitting something.  You often gently parry away any questions directed at yourself."

He looked out at the cutter.  He watched her watching it.

"Take the cutter for example.  You might be watching its progress to the dock out of concern for Armand.  Understandable.  You might have some secret longing for Mister Lasseter.  Or those flirtations that pass between could be nothing at all.  Your concern could be for our young Steward, Miss Smith.  A young woman in a strange land.  Or, you may only have your eyes on the craft itself while your mind is entirely off on other shores.  One could speculate for hours on the many things which may or may not be occuring in your mind.  I prefer the pragmatic approach.

How are you, Miss Fitzgerald?"

" Mon bon capitaine, tu fair les quatre cents coups..." The Surgeon scrutinized his expression briefly then stood away from the rail, hands clasped behind her lower back. " A bout in the darkness can prove a dangerous thing...But I speak in a manner of boldness. To answer your question, Sir...I am well and thank you for your concern. C'est bien aimable de votre part, a vous."

The Surgeon gave a smallish nod of head.

William nodded in return. He made as if to speak again, but instead, he excused himself from her company.

"Doctor."

He made his way below and began the necessary duties of cleaning his coat and brushing all of his gear with brush and polish. He did this all in a meditative silence.

Aye! so I throws me hands up in the air! No worries! One for the money, two for the show, three to get ready and...........

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

The two Frenchman acted as long lost brother's, the banter spoken lively and full of jest to the confusion of those passing. Rapid fire the native tongue of Mother Land played the air and such a row of laughter that both were gaining red tincture to their features. As they paused to gain breath, Antoine elbowed Armand with a tilt of head directed to the girl standing near the cutter. The Gascon followed line of direction and replied with only a grin. Arm in arm, the two comrades advanced to where Miss Smith stood with a touch of puzzlement on her features.

"Mademoiselle Smith, may I present to you a very old friend. Monsuier Antoine Grandjean this is Mademoiselle Tudor Smith."

The other reached for her hand and with brush of lips to its back, offered a smile and comment in rough english.

" Enchante', mademoiselle." The remaining eye of deep blue twinkled mischievously in reflection to the proffered smile. " Armand and I have been amies since the campaigne years and before."

Miss Smith looked to Armand with unsaid questioning for a moment.

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

William was half an hour lost in thought before his memory was tickled by other things. He took up his glass and hat and going topside, he made his way aloft to where Diego was perched.

"My apologies, Monsignor. My mind was utterly elsewhere."

"Aye, Captain."

William smiled at the quick agreement looking out over the water to the approaching ships, now near to making landfall. "Now, there's a pretty sight. What can they be gaurding I wonder, and do we dare sway what relationships may be made here? We dare not take on two frigates and a cargo ship at once, though I daresay that second frigate would be hard pressed to keep up with us. She is an old ship under all that new paint, I'll wager."

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpg

"Aye, aye, Mr Lasseter. Beggin' yer pardon sah, we do have matters of great urgency with which we need to speak with you on. It will describe our situation of missing the cutter as well as our new companion . . "

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

Armand shot the other Frenchman a look of warning which was met with a cock of brow. Clearing his throat, Antoine shifted his stance on crutch support and changed the subject.

" I had heard that you were on this side of the world. I spoke to Moreau not two weeks past. Have you had any recent news from La Desirade?"

"Non."

Antoine's features dropped joyful cast and switching back to native tongue, he spoke quietly, " I think we need to find a place of strong drink then..."

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

"Aye, aye, Mr Lasseter. Beggin' yer pardon sah, we do have matters of great urgency with which we need to speak with you on. It will describe our situation of missing the cutter as well as our new companion . . "

Well, out with it Lad!!! I've no time ta muck about...

::the coolness of exterior was beginning to give way to the fury beneath... yet his composure regained some when he noticed the woman with them...::

Beggin' yer pardon Mam... Mr. PEW... would ye be so kind as ta make proper introductions?

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

Aye Capt. all comin in now on the slows I see the first be raisin sail and the galleon ahind her be doin the same. Me wonders how the three be signalling the needs to be followed so closely sir the flags during that change were nay to then changed at all sir????

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

Antoine's words were cut short as he focused beyond where they stood to the tall man further up the incline. Although his Anglais was not of perfect bearing, the Frenchman understood the tone well enough. The Gascon and Steward turned to observe the goings on. Glancing back to Antoine the Gascon slyed a secretive smile in regard to the woman in the Quartermaster's proximity. Antoine chuckled underbreath until he realized that Miss Smith was eyeing him. Regaining composure he winked at Armand once Tudor turned away.

"Aye sah, sorry sah. Our companion be the Lady Ilex. We're . . .acquaintances . . . from a time ago. She's a, well, a privateer as it were . . ."

She winks and does a quick courtsey to Mr. Lassteter trying to defray his rage.

"Me lady, 'tis our Quartermaster Mr. Dorian Lasseter."

Mr. Lasseter extends his hand gruffly.

I shuffle to Mr. Lasseter, and bow towards him whispering quietly.

"Mr. Lasseter, the Spanish plate fleet is 'ere in port, since all tha man-o-war be abouts. Me lady says been 'ere 'bout a week loading provisions for the journey back to Spain. As for me and Mr. Franklin, we overheard some spaniards in the Las Aves o'er some grog worried abouts pyrates. Then we went to me lady 'ere to see wot she knew."

I lean back to let our Quartermaster absorb our excuse for missing the cutter.

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

Aye Capt. all comin in now on the slows I see the first be raisin sail and the galleon ahind her be doin the same. Me wonders how the three be signalling the needs to be followed so closely sir the flags during that change were nay to then changed at all sir????

"Aye, Monsignor. They bare watching. Keep a wary eye on them and pass word to each watch to report any happenings."

"Aye, Sir."

William descended the shrouds and stood awhile watching each of the three vessels come into port. All were laden enough to ride low on the water, and if they meant to reprovision here, then all below must be cargo alone.

:: the QuarterMaster's demenor changes little with the information given him by Mr. PEW...::

I see... It is an acceptable reason fer mine ears.... you may take yer ease in th' cutter, so's I c'n make arraingements... Lady Ilex... a privateer ye says... Iffn ye desire, ye may join these two lads in th' cutter as well, or ye may take yer ease in a more comfortable locale... I beg your leave...

::The QuarterMaster watched as the men did as ordered bowed to the Lady and turned towards the two Stewards, along with a newcomer...::

Ms. Smith, Armand.... and?

::Armand introduced the other man to the quartermaster::

" Monsuier Antoine Grandjean, an old friend... "

Right, Well met, Lad... Well.... much ta do... I need ta make use o' a bumboat 'r wherry.... need ta send a message ta th' Cap'n right quick... Would ye be so kind as ta find one fer me as I write out my concerns?, here be some specie ta aquire th' passage... I'll be sendin' Mr. Franklin.....

::Armand took the coins and nodded, as Mr. Lasseter set to the business of scribing....::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"Aye, aye Mr. Lasseter," I reply sullen;y. Mr. Franklin and I climb into the cutter to await departure to the Watch Dog.

"Mr. Lasseter, is it?" Ilex inquires, "if ye would let Captain Hollande know I"ll be here in port should he be resigned to come ashore. Mr. Pew knows where to find me. Perhaps we will allow the Spanish will go home a little lighter? Perhaps not . . .. "

She deftly turns on her heels and makes her way back to the bordello, hand on her pistol the whole way to the door.

:: Mr Lasseter looks up as the woman speaks to him, then nods to what she says, returning to his scribing after watching her walk away....::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

The hired boat procured, Armand returned to former placement and found his old friend getting along famously with Miss Smith. Advising Dorian that all was in order, the Gascon handed over the extra coin that were un-needed.

" Antoine....are you making disrespectful advances on the fair mademoiselle."

" Non...moi?" he blinked with innocence. " To say such a thing to an old friend. You wound me, monsieur."

"You have to watch him, Mademoiselle Smith." Armand said to Tudor. "He is like a fox in the hen house."

"Moi? You don't pay that Southern dog a bit of mind, mademoiselle....There is your fox...the one speaking scandlous things of my character."

The two brother's in former arms laughed at the jest and paused only to eye each other before bursting out again.

Thankee Armand... *shakes head and smiles* I s'pect you'd like ta catch up on auld times wi' yer mate... go.... take Ms. Smith wi' ye... Stay close...

::He then proceeded to direct the hired boat over to the cutter, where he climbed down into it, handed the folded message to Mr. Franklin...::

A'right.... get yerselves back ta th' ship on this 'ere wherry... report directly ta th' cap'n... I 'spect I'll be needed back aboard soon enough, but 'ave plenty ta do in th' meantime... get movin'!

::The two men give their "aye-aye's" to the Quartermaster, and transfer themselves to the waiting hired boat, once aboard the men at the sweeps pull for the Watch Dog... Mr. Lasseter made his way back to the warf, and headed to the nearest market house...::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

*Walking the gun deck, he inspects every gun position before heading up to the forecastle. He lights his pipe and pulls out his spy glass and looks out to sea. Only pauseing to take sips og rum from his tankard, that sits on the deck.*

"Mister Youngblood."

The Master Gunner collapsed his spyglas and moved amidships to where the Captain stood. He carried with him a tankard and sipped once from it as he went.

"Aye, Cap'n."

"It is high time you went ashore for some much needed relaxation. As you come and go, will you make note of the armaments you see in port. I should like a counting of guns, great and large from each of those ships of any size."

"Aye, Sir. There are a fair number here. It may take me some time."

William smiled. "Feel free to take whatever time you need to learn of all their weaknesses, but leave me an ample officer in your stead."

Thankee Armand... *shakes head and smiles* I s'pect you'd like ta catch up on auld times wi' yer mate... go.... take Ms. Smith wi' ye... Stay close...

The Gascon wiped a tear of mirth from his eye, trying to catch his breath.

" But Dorian...would you not rather I stay until your duties are done. It does not feel right for me to leave you alone..."

The Quartermaster made a shooing motion.

" Very well, mon ami...We shall go down to the cantina by the Harbour Master's establishment. I will make sure that we can see the lane and keep an eye on you, oui?"

not sure of the pomp and circumstance surrounding these three Spanish ships my first inclanation were to yell below but feeling even though my voice is quite loud it should most assuredly not be heard by those of said words to be spoken about me thinks. So I watch as the galleon rolls out and drops a fairly large launch then two then three as the third is being lowered into the sea. As the two accompanying friggatas were lowering thier own launches and upon each deck were officers dressed for the most noble of courts gathering in number. I cupped me hands to tell the master gunner to pass the word to have the captain come see this. As I return to me lense I see the lookout on the number one friggat is looking right at me! I then take in the other two crows nests and yep all three were just starin right back at us! Well they sure knows we knows but does they knows we knows they knows we knows is the question.

They found themselves gathered around a small rough surfaced table next to a window that gave unobstructed view of the lane and its' inhabitants. Three tankards of local delight stood the surface as the conversation rounded in lively fashion. The Captain's Steward did well to follow the misadventures that the other two had shared in the past; Antoine doing his best to keep to his version of Anglais, though being forced here and there to revert to French. It turned into a tit for tat of who did what when, followed by a one up of the other's crimes. Though the Gascon was in no way distracted in his offering of banter, he was always partially focused on the goings on outside and to the location of the Quartermaster in his dealings of trade.

A fourth round was ordered for the table betwixt the gents, while their female companion sampled slowly from her second filling. Antoine explained how he found himself now in the employ of the Laurents, sighting that he had suffered a terrible injury on campaigne after Armand had left France. The loss of his left eye and other injuries sustained to body, induced him to resignation of commission as a Lancier. Given multiple letters of introduction, he took what finances that had been carefully saved and crossed the wide Atlantic. Chance meeting with Francois Moreau, had gained him the position he held now.

A fifth round was ordered and Miss Smith finally finished of the tankard she had been carefully nursing. A silence hung over the table momentarily to be broken when Antoine fixed his one good eye upon Armand and seemed to consider his next wording carefully. Taking a draught from the refreshed tankard he spoke in native tongue, " You said that you have had no news from Chateau de la Dore' Soliel as of recent?"

"Non...Not while I have been away...It has been some time."

Antoine took another draught, swishing it about before swallowing, "Then I guess that I am to be messenger of ill tidings."

He exhaled heavily and then continued...

*Rubbing her sore eyes from hours of stiching the last pair of pants.* "I certainly hope no one asks me to sew another thing for at least two weeks. my hands have cramps upon cramps."*She lets out large yawn and rubs the kink from her neck, just as Simon re turns with a wet cloth. She simply thanks him with a smile, for a smile is all she can muster. The cool salt water feels like heaven's rain upon the hot read desert that is her face* "It is getting late for you milady." *She nods to the giant not looking up. "Let me help you to your bunk."

"Thank you my gentle giant."

Kendra2.jpg

"Courage is the decision to fly straight into the flame while knowing the consequences"~ The Adventures Of A Notorious Youth Capt. Hook

By: J. V. Hart

"A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving."~Lao Tzu 490-570 BC

---------

Yes, I am leaving the pub. I don't know when or if I will come back to this port. I will check in from time to time. Until then:

*raising goblet of good cheer*

" To high adventure, and wild romance....long may they endure!"

For I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content

Philippians 4:11

Twitter:

TwittKnitter

Facebook:

shanamartin1

It was amusing to Tudor, the animation she saw between the frenchmen as the drank and reminisced. It was such a diffrence from the always proper Armand she was used to seeing. She had only seen glimpses of another side of him in some of their ship board conversations. It was a jovial mood that pervaded their table, and she was glad for such pleasant company, even if she did get the feeling she was the odd man out. So she continued to sip her drink, wishing she could let loose instead of carefully gaging her intake, and pretended that she couldn't understand what they were saying when conversation gravitated back to their native toung.

The mood quiteted as Antoine asked a very carefully worded question of Armand. "You said that you have had no news from Chateau de la Dore' Soliel as of recent?"

Torn between respect of privacy and fear of being rude, Tudor decided to try and not listen to their conversation, and just continued to sip her drink, wishing it was stronger.

The Gascon took the news with dignity and grace, though what was occuring on the inside of his thoughts were a jumble. Antoine respectfully looked away then quickly segued to help lighten the mood. Focusing the one steely blue sight on their female companion, he leaned forward on table's surface chiding, " So mademoiselle, now you see that Armand-Gabriel is no angel, oui? So typical of the Southerners, they are such savages...I think you should be with someone of more Northern origins."

He winked playfully and called for another round.