Pyrates of the West Coast

With notice of Miss Smith's discomfort, Armand redirected his line of sight to the timbers above.

"Mademoiselle, non. Pardon moi....non faire ses excuses. These things happen when distracted. It is nothing, cheri."

The warm smile returned as he stole a fleet of glance before returning center to the beams.

Her mouth opened and closed several times in guppy-like fashion. Clearly, words were not coming to her. She took another few breaths, then shook her head as if to clear it. "So . . ." She squeeked nervously. "What has you up so early?" She tried to make light conversation, following Armand's lead and trying to look everywhere but at him. She was in the process of quickly taking a furtive glance at him again, just as he was doing so himself, and any part of her face that had remained in it's naturally pale state was now flushed as badly as her ears.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as ms Wardell turned and beat feet to the uppers deck where the sweetest sounds of our flutists excellence were being displayed I was again shivered by the mood it were gathering within me. I thought to meself I sure hope she can sing eerrghh at least hit the notes. I went on back in a stores and pulled out a legnth of vanilla bean and dropped it in smaller pieces into a cup to grind it into a fine powder I then went back and retrieved the cacao leaves and added them and ground them as well adding a small amout of sugar I ground the six scoops of coffee beans adding the mixture to the newly boiling water fer a new pot a coffee Vienna style.

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

I picks up the scent of tobacco smoke and begins a new tune to perk up the place a bit. Seein Miss Wardell looking might bit better than when she was rescued, she makes her way to stand beside me on the deck. She smiles and sways with the melody and I hear her angelic voice as she hums along with me. This song needs words, missy! Would ye like ta sing along with me - name a tune and I'd be right glad to accompany ye"

" Well, Mademoiselle I have moments when restlessness overbears and I must try to put it into right. There are some ment for the pitch and roll of the Sea, others destined for the firm of land beneath their feet. I do well with both...but prefer the solidity of terra. And that longing is what has me wandering this early hour..."

The Gascon stole a quick glance to her and smiled warmly.

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

" Well, Mademoiselle I have moments when restlessness overbears and I must try to put it into right. There are some ment for the pitch and roll of the Sea, others destined for the firm of land beneath their feet. I do well with both...but prefer the solidity of terra. And that longing is what has me wandering this early hour..."

The Gascon stole a quick glance to her and smiled warmly.

"Aye - I do well enough on the sea, but I miss the land sometimes . . . I haven't gone riding since I came to the carribean. I miss my horse." She said, thinking back to her last year in Europe, not notcing Armand's amused expression. "And I can't really go riding now . . ."

William finished his morning meal and ventured onto the quarterdeck, there to relieve Mister Badger. Finding Mister Youngblood at the rail, he joined him there to speak on matters of the ship.

"Good day to you, Mister Youngblood. I wonder If I might speak to you on matters pertaining to La Margarita and our stay there?"

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpg

Armand nodded and after a moment of brief thought offered,

"Than perhaps, when we touch land again, mademoiselle would honour me deeply with her company for a short ride...That is, if it would not appear brazen for me to extend such thoughts and time permits"

He shifted his footing and stayed focused upon the far bulkhead.

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

The young woman thought for a moment. "Do you know the Mingulay Boat Song?" She hummed a bit of the tune for her before softly starting to sing the lyrics.

Heel yo ho, boys; let her go, boys;

Bring her head round, into the weather,

Hill you ho, boys, let her go, boys

Sailing homeward to Mingulay

What care we though, white the Minch is?

What care we for wind or weather?

Let her go boys; every inch is

Sailing homeward to Mingulay.

Wives are waiting, by the pier head,

Or looking seaward, from the heather;

Pull her round, boys, then you'll anchor

'Ere the sun sets on Mingulay.

Ships return now, heavy laden

Mothers holdin' bairns a-cryin'

They'll return, though, when the sun sets

They'll return to Mingulay.

Her jaw dropped in a rather unflattering way as she again found herself struggling for words. "Well . . . I - I didn't know you rode, or well, I suppose you would but . . ." She blinked a few times, and soundlessly spoke a few more words. "I'm not a good seat on a horse, so, you may find riding with me tedious, but . . ." She paused again, and looked up from behind a lank of hair that had fallen in her face. "I would love to go riding with you." She said, and started sheepishly at him, trying to force herself to look him in the eye. But then she flinched . . . "I think I hear the captain calling for me!" She said, then bolted down the hallway, red skirt flying out behind her, leaving Armand standing alone, thinking of how the Captain was not even within calling distance . . .

Aye sir, what be on your mind.

"I've promised all of the crew a rest in port, but prudence suggests that I do this in rotation. I should like a very small number of gunners to remain with the Watch Dog at all times. Enough to handle the swivels, I should think.

It isn't that I feel that there should be any treachery, but..." and William paused smiling. "...but then of course the word treachery itself suggests an attack from unexpected quarters."

William grabbed up a dipper from a nearby bucket to drink and was a long time quiet before continuing.

"Also, I should think that there might be any number of unexpected possibilities ashore, what with the crew being who they are. We might have to cancel our leave ashore at any time due to a...misunderstanding."

The Gascon watched after her hasty departure and his amusement could not be concealed. If such an occassion presented itself, he would simply have to regulate his skill in the saddle accordingly. He could not expect her to be able to keep time with allowing mount to be given lead and control. The selection of equis nature would have to be a careful one if what she stated were true and although he much prefered an animal that was high in spirit, he would select a more gentled soul so that there would be no occurances of sudden trickery.

Resuming his trek to the open air Armand considered that a easy going jaunt with good company may have certain enjoyable points.

Aye sir, I shall set up a rooster and schedule a rotation.

"Aye." William smiled and looked at Mister Youngblood for a long moment.

"You know of course, if you have another suggestion or a differing opinion on these matters that I bring to you, you may, with all freedom, speak your mind. I shouldn't like any good suggestion to go unspoken simply for want of obeying my word as Captain.

The truth of the matter is, Mister Youngblood, I know nothing of you beyond our small interchange as officers of this ship. For instance, I have no idea where you hail from. Apart from your deft and able skill at cannon, I don't know anything of your...well, sir...your canon. Your beliefs. Your aspirations. Your politics.

For all I know, you could be cheesmaker's apprentice with uncommonly good aim. And, after what become of Mister...or rather...MISS Van Buren, I should like very much to know each crew member a little better."

::After being relieved of the helm by Mr. Warren, he instructed me to take a depth sounding and check the speed of the Watch Dog as we were approaching the shoals. I head off of the Quarterdeck and walk towards the leeward side of the ship. Using our tools aboard ship and what I find from the Cox'suns gear below decks I find the ship to be heading S at about 8 knots. We're travelling in gently rolling seas, I judge us to be in about 4 fathoms and approaching the shoals surrounding Maragarita. Cupping my hands towards Mr Warren at the helm::

South at 8 knots sah.

We be bouts 4 fathoms approaching Margarita . . .

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

The truth of the matter is, Mister Youngblood, I know nothing of you beyond our small interchange as officers of this ship. For instance, I have no idea where you hail from. Apart from your deft and able skill at cannon, I don't know anything of your...well, sir...your canon. Your beliefs. Your aspirations. Your politics.

Well, sir I be from liverpool. Came from a military family and was, lets say suggested to join the army at a young age. Was in the infantry fer quite some time. Made sargent and then moved to a field artillery division. I fought the dutch an french, an after awhile o bein shot at an not bein compensated ta my likin, I left. Went back ta liverpool, me father not to happy o the idea a leavin da service, wouldn have me back at home. So I signed on ta a merchant ship and headed out this way. Still not happy wit da compensation and da way I's bein treated, I uh, went on da account, an well here I am.

Petee-2.jpg

"The compensation of the military is such, that when a man of no particular rank dies in the service of his country, defending house and home, it is often the general, who was never there who reaps the rewards of rank and society. It is a sad truth, and has and ever will be so.

Take me for example. In 1696 I had the opportunity to serve king and country in capturing the Hamer Hoen, a dutch ship used in the trade and defense of the West Indies. We captured her with almost no losses and thought ourselves the better men for it. Too late we learned that an accident of translation had led us to believe that we were at war with the Dutch, when in fact, we were at war with the French and in alliance with the Dutch.

Our act of enthusiastic patriotism was at once denounced as a barbaristic pyracy and over two hundred men couldn't go home again."

Aye sir, young men die an old men talk, so will it ever be.

"We'll rent us two small rooms near the shore and paint Spanish ships at port for a week and drink up the profits of the Danzig goods."

William raised the dipper. "To King William the III. May he rot in Hell."

The music though so light below decks was still enjoyable. With the coffee strained and the last of morning meals deliverance complete I set about to find that darn project I needed to finish and thought who is feeding that scurvy Dutch captain Scully? I went up top. Looking for Mr. Lassiter I sees our Captain so I step up and interupt what I thought ot be a silent spot atween the Master Gunner and Captain Brand. Sir (I says) Is food needed for the prisoner?

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

Looking for Mr. Lassiter I sees our Captain so I step up and interupt what I thought ot be a silent spot atween the Master Gunner and Captain Brand. Sir (I says) Is food needed for the prisoner?

"Needed...? I suppose so, he being a man like me but not as me."

William paused long enough to seem indifferent about Mister Scully.

"I'm sorry, Monsignor. I had quite forgotten about our guest. The last that I heard of him was from Mister Lasseter. Who I believe was seeing to Scully's needs. Please see if it is so and take him what food he needs. I shall speak with him presently."

William turned back to Mister Youngblood, but was some time in his thoughts before speaking again. "Where was I...? Oh yes. To the 'little gentleman in black velvet'* and to spare canvas, paint and rum rations!"

* footnote - In February 1702 William the III (William of Orange) was riding at Hampton Court when his horse stumbled on a mole hill, throwing him and breaking his collar bone. After it had been set, he insisted on returning to Kensington Palace by coach, which aggravated his condition. He became feverish some days later and was put to bed but died of pleuro-pneumonia a few days later on 8 March 1702. The Jabobites toasted the "little gentleman in black velvet" (the mole) who had brought about the death of their enemy.

After rising feeling much more refreshed than the previous mornings had been willing to offer, the Surgeon left the comfort of private quarters and made a quick step into the Ward's stuffy quality. A brief survey confirmed all well, that Armand was not therin and the Quartermaster was still deep in the clutch of sleep brought on by the Spirit world.

Strolling at leisurly pace, Tempest gained the upper surround and blast of refreshening breeze. Breathing deep the tincture of salt, spray her eyes fell upon the lithe frame of Armand and she moved to join him at starboard rail.