Pyrates of the West Coast

Peeks into the galley and see that the padre could use some help.  Pots and pans every where.  Aye my good padre I see ye are a man of many talents.  Now it looks to me as if ye be needin some help?  I used to cook fer the crew of the last ship I was on.  Where would you like me to start?

Damn nice a you Constance God will do right by thee. The tack I brought out a short time ago is almost gone and I am boiling this here water to make beans soups with lamb and leek fer main meal would you like to throw a pan of corn bread in? And I should think the cutter will soon be back on board as our speed has greatly diminished we should bring out some dried beef as well lass. Grammercy

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

William nodded, eating from his own tray and watching her as she spoke. He did not comment or question her in any way. He just ate and drank and let what silences fall where they may.

During the first long silence, he poured her a glass and passed it over. He poured himself one as well and sat back as one that is settling in for a long conversation. He gave her a pleasant smile and a nod as if to say, 'Please. Continue.'

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpg

Pausing mid-sip, she glanced to him and returned the glass to the table.

"Continue, Sir? What is it that you wish to know? You have met the gentleman in question..."

The Surgeon pushed a piece of ship's biscut to the other side of her tray.

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

"Long before I became Captain I was a tactician in the art of court...or rather...courtship. Men and women, my good Doctor."

He stood up and went to the windows of the ward room.

"Let me be frank. One could hardly mistake the good Captain's notice of you. When you shuffled off your bloodied apron for that dress, even the Monsignor was distracted in your passing. It was not so much Fournier's distraction that was so obvious, but his effort not to be while you were at his table.

Why should he try so hard not to see you when all about were looking at you as men do when a woman of surpassing presence is before them?

You see it was not his too much attention, but his lack of it that I find interesting. Most men would have fawned over such a guest to the extent of ignoring all others, but not Fournier.

It smacks of deeper emotions. The play-acting of something hidden."

William looked at her for a long time before continuing.

"I wouldn't ask, but you did request an audience...unless of course I've misread your desire to speak to me about other subjects. Was this audience in regard to the castaways? Was I mistaken to broach this subject?"

The Surgeon watched William as he moved from the table and kept her peace as he relayed observations with compliment intertwined. Tempest steeled her bearing, suspecting that little would go unnoticed by the Captain's scrutiny.

" I had assumed, monsieur that you would have wished a current report of our new guest's constitution. In regard to diplomatic measures, I thought that breeching such a subject with the oppourtunity of privacy would be for the best..."

She sipped from the glass then continued.

" As to Capitaine Fournier's behaviour, I guess it is only to be expected when there lay deep ties to the past in emotional arenas....Is there anything else to which I may clarify to you about the French, sir?"

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

:: I finish cleaning down the cannon from the mornings barrage. Standing on the Quarterdeck I smell the wafting scents of sweet honey coming from below decks. Looking over to Mr Youngblood, I call to him::

If'n we be without lady Christine now, who be in the galley creatin' them smells?

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

" As to Capitaine Fournier's behaviour, I guess it is only to be expected when there lay deep ties to the past in emotional arenas....Is there anything else to which I may clarify to you about the French, sir?"

"No, good Doctor." William said with a smile and a shrug. "Just remain and dine with me for awhile...and tell me...why do I have to order my own to eat with me when they will willingly dress in all manner of finery to dine with others?

He said this with a hint of laughter in his tone. He returns to his seat shaking his head. He added to her glass and poured himself a second drink.

"We revel to much in the past of late. To the future...may it be lined with fortune and good fortune."

I went down to the hold where the water was stored and had a new barrel brought up having used the most o what was left in the standing one. I too then found the sacks of potatoes brought one of them up and the onions they looked a tad wet and maybe parts could be used but I wasn't going to count on it. A nice garlic clove jumped into my hand and I brought in a pitcher of white wine to mix with the garlic and butter to baste the roast with. Ms smith came by as I was turning about and asked if she wouldn't find out what time the captain should like his supper? Then Constance opened the oven took out one pan and put in t'other. golden brown corn bread and she was slaving soft butter to its top as a coating and cutting off rows that were being taken as they came do by the crew. I handed one (large) piece to Ms Smith. She took a bite peeled arourn in a half swirl o lace and leather and was off... Waving as she dissapeared I heard her muffled grammercy.

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

"No, good Doctor." William said with a smile and a shrug. "Just remain and dine with me for awhile...and tell me...why do I have to order my own to eat with me when they will willingly dress in all manner of finery to dine with others?

He said this with a hint of laughter in his tone.  He returns to his seat shaking his head.  He added to her glass and poured himself a second drink.

"We revel to much in the past of late.  To the future...may it be lined with fortune and good fortune."

The tension thawed from her posture with his vanquishing of subject. At William's request and humorous insight, she replyed.

" Thank you for your hospitaility and I might state, that if you had wished this to be a formal affaire then I am sure I could have accommodated your whim. I have in my possesion more than one of those Parisian torture devices...All you had to do is request. Perhaps another time."

Tempest watched as William regained seating and sampled the refreshed glass in ackowledgment of toast and biddings to the future.

I took out the roast and started rubbing the pork grease all about the outside of it massaging into the each and every nook and cranny I could involve. Adding three crushed and minced and pulverized garlics to my finger tips I pushed poked and certainly found every place that would easily allow such a build up of fragerance and flavor within the roasts structured being. I dropped the roast into a fired hot pan and began the sizzling spatter of brazing the meat fast. salt, pepper turning it. I was still terriblt burning the piece of meat when Constance pulled out the second pan of corn bread. I turned off the fire and added three cups of wine and four cups of water put the lid on and set it to slow cook in the back. Turned and tore off a piece of this dillusional causing bread I been smelling the betters parts a me memory. It were fine it were..........I was thinkin that as it were basting would be a ways off so I poured a grog fer her and meself and toasted to a reason fer delicacy run amuck.

Conversation flowed easily, as it does when folk find themselves in welcome company. The meal finished and another bottle obtained, the Captain and Surgeon covered subjects of reknown and obscurity in meandering fashion. With the finish of second bottle's content she regretfully begged his pardon for the need of making rounds of those in her care. Hesitating at the doorway, Tempest turned to view William.

" I do thank you again, Sir. Your hospitality exceeds the standards of some of the finest homes in Europe. I have much enjoyed this time well spent. I should look forward to doing so again when time makes allowances for such. Good day to you, William."

She smiled warmly, them stepped out and onward to the call of duty below.

::The cutter lay hove to for a short time while the lines were rove and spliced, finally the jib was set again and the boat was on it way coursing toward the Watch Dog. The Quartermaster sat in the sternsheets at the tiller, his left arm lay in his lap, a look of deep concentration on his face. The crew looked from the Quartermaster to the ship an back several times as the distance shrank. Soon they glided past the larboard side of the ship... ::

Drop Canvas!

::Mr. Tucker and Styles worked the lines quickly as the Jib and Gaff sail dropped, the cutter slowed, allowing Mr. Lasseter to make a sharp rounding, putting the cutter right beside the ships hull, gliding along just fast enough for Nigel to latch on to the chains...::

Right! On deck! Send o'er th' tackle and get this aboard!

Mr. Warren, I leave the swayin' in o' th' cutter n yer 'ands, I'll be headin' up t' th' deck...

::Nodding, the Quartermaster stood, slightly unsteadily, and headed to the side ladder. He started up the side using only one arm, as he made it on deck he slipped, almost falling down the tumblehome, but caught himself by grabbing a deadeye...::

Damn... Aye lads... glad ta be back aboard... I's gonna be in m' cabin, My compliments and let the Cap'n know we's back aboard...

::With a weak smile, he turned and headed below...::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

With a side trip to the Galley and orders of nourishment placed for her "guests", Tempest made way towards the bow. The sound of footing upon stairway gave her pause to see who was making way into the lower regions. Soon gave view to the owner's lower frame and one that was quite familiar in movement...but, something did not seem in order.

Cocking her head just to the right, her vision gleaned the bright flare of crimson that muted its' linen canvas of shirt. Tempest stepped out of shadows and met the Quartermaster as his feet touched level ground. The Surgeon's brow knit with concern as she reached to the battered sleeve and looked with question from there to his face.

Hallo, M'dear Surgeon.... *smile*

::As she reached out to his arm, he looked down at it and slightly pulled away...::

Ah, a wee scratch... line parted next ta me, caught me there... it's a wee sore... I's gonna put a wet rag 'gainst it... not ta worry... ye got folks in yer care wot's more in need o' ye...

::he smiled at her and tried to slide past, but she would not have it...::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Tempest frowned to the machismo and bravdo, indicating such with a stern negation of his intent.

"Non...I do not believe I will permit such. You will save that charming smile for another time and follow me to the surgery so that I may inspect that closer."

The Quartermaster tried to negotiate otherwise, attempting to downplay the situation. It was a ploy that lacked success and with realization of that fact, Dorian moved with her in tow.

Arriving within the dim illumination that the Sick berth seemed plagued with, Tempest had him sit on the ever present stool.

" Your shirt shall have to be removed..."

He reached to do so and found that such a venture was not worth the pain and stopped. Armand brought a storm lantern to hang on one of the many hooks above asking Dorian what had occured. The two men conversed as Tempest unlocked the chest containing the instruments of her trade and returned with heavy shears.

"My apologies, Mister Lasseter...But, I am afraid that your frock shall have to be sacrificed. I do hope that it holds no sentimental value."

She locked eyes with his in fleet, then asked Armand to obtain water and cloth in which the semi-hidden injury could be bathed.

With the pork gone and three pans a bread Constance was up to a new task one where I could be a bit more flexible (so-to-speak) I asked if she wouldn't mind taking over the complete supper as I were about to take on my shift in the basket and that if she wouldn't mind as the roast became close to done the big difference atween decent and magnanimous is the wine in the sauce and then showed her how scraping all the juices off the wall of the pan it cooked in is what gives sauce its flavor. After she were quite the practiced scraping fool I too showed her the basting mixture I had made. So onto the beans, having let the water absorb into the little critters I put them back onto the fires to cook and soften but not until I added twenty six ounces of ale, salt, pepper, garlic and pork strips. Also I reminded her that using only 1/3 of the juices from the roast will need to be added to three quarts of ale brought to a boil with herbs and the leeks added for the soup. I told her if she wished to bake fresh rolls dinner should be pulled together around end of first dogwatch. I showed her that adding those hot fired peppers and mango into a right nice salsa fer side color and spice might prove the betters addition fer the roast and her efforts. I made my farewell and then the captain walked in and says good job you old coot and I had to beg off and went below to aquire my thicker cover for my watches. Went above and asked Ciaran on his way down ifin he'd stick his eyes into the galley every so often.

Now that we are without burden, 'tis time to inspect this ship and make sure she's none the worse for wear after that long haul. Best be finding Mr Hawks and ask him to join me for a look see. (Dang - the smell of that food does make me stomach cry out for some victuals...)

When the Doctor was gone, William gathered those charts that were presently of no importance and put them away. When Miss Smith came to collect the trays he followed her to the galley and just catching the Monisgnor departing the place he showered him with praise.

"Having often cooked for others, I know the time and labor of the galley all too well. But let me say this, my good Monsignor...nay...my good man, you have missed your vocation. You should have been a king of some courtly kitchen. That was as fine a meal as I've had aboard. And with the departure of our dear Miss Johnson, I thought I should find our meals less inviting."

William smiled to Miss Constance and continued with his mock-chiding and far from serious tone. "The pair of you are alchemists and I'll wager there's a contract between you both and a devious power. See that you keep the galley shut up tight. I've already seen the effects your work had on those up and downwind."

Miss Smith was nodding with a grin.

"What think you, Miss Smith?"

She smiled and seemed to search for words. "It is fine food. It is worth a cut in wages for such good food."

"Aye. Well said." William reached into the galley and fetched himself another biscuit. "This is tax for allowing such dangerous cooks passage aboard my ship. You'll be all day sending up Siren songs from these pots if you are both not careful."

He shook a reproving finger as he ate the morsel, moving away down the companionway and calling back as he did so.

"I am moved to blasphemies in regards to this biscuit."

Sail ho! Off port three points and headin due north sir headin into Montserrat! Nine maybe ten leagues out has not seen us as I can tell! Looks like a cog sir a fisherman!

watch it's direction fer the next bells toll and she never once wained straight into port then on the moment of need did vere off to assist the Dancig Trader by then we were the best of twelve leagues gone. Nice brings 'em near we have in the basket indeed. I prayed for the safe harbor for the crew, officers and Christine on the Danzig Trader. By the time Swan had come up into the basket for her shift we were completely out of sight of all including land and sea birds. I made my descent to the deck and then headed directly to the galley. there seemed to be the entirety of the ship gatherd singing shanty's and toasting to this wonderful ship, officers and crew. I joined in.

Listens to the good Padre as he gives his instuctions and nods. Aye sir I can handle the rest. Looks up to see the Captain at the door and smiles. Why thank ye fer the complament sir. Laughs at what he say. Alchemist eh? Now that is one thing I have not tried yet. Now ifen you will excuse me sir I 'ave ta get back ta making the fresh rolls, and checking on the rest of the food. Retruns to the table to get the flour, sugar and other things for making the rolls. Smiling and humming a shanty to herself while needing the dough for the rolls.

Sealegs Constance

I am what I am