Pyrates of the West Coast

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Ah, I see." William said sympathetically.

This made much more sense to William than the idea of simple passengers. It also went a long way to improving his opinions of those survivors. He was none to fond of blackbirders. The death toll among slave ships was well known to anyone in the Americas who dared to open their eyes.

"Well...Miss...?"

"Wardell. Meg...Wardell."

"Miss Wardell, as far as I am concerned, you are our guest. We will soon arrive in the waters surrounding Montserrat. We will of course have to transfer you to the ship we are towing, as I will not be taking the Watch Dog into port here., but for now, eat and sleep. Our Doctor is well versed in all things of the body."

William realized how insinuating that sounded only after it had escaped his lips, but as Miss Wardell seemed not to notice, he didn't correct his definition of her talents.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

One eyebrow went up. He smiled, bemused.

"A Fletcher's Daughter." He thought aloud. "I should think we could find place for a Fletcher's Daughter. However, there are more issues than your place aboard this ship, but they shall have to wait until the morrow. Rest first, and I'll think on the matter."

William turned to the man under Tempest's studious care. "Who is this man, Miss Wardell? Do you know his background?"

::Mr. Warren took the tiller from the Quartermaster, who then went forward and took a dipper from the water cask, drained it, repeating the process several times...::

Ah, needed tha'... Mr. Warren... stay 'bout a cables length away from th' 'Dog, keep us outta trouble... gonna hafta lay off some canvas, we goin' a'least twice th' speed o' 'r ship...

Lads, Not that I 'spect any trouble, but we got plenty of arms aboard, wish we 'ad a swivel 'r two, mebee e'en a cannon aboard... well, we c'n lend aide if it need be... Tuck.. take me 'glass... keep an eye out, watch fer signals from th' Dog too...

::Mr. Lasseter then got himself comfortable, leaning against the mast, his eyes sweeping across the water to the Watch Dog, wondering what our castaways might bring... humming and occasionally murmuring a tune...::

Hmm, Hmm, green eyes 'r smilin', Hmm, hmm....

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

William said nothing, and judging by the Doctor's posture and silence, he judged that Mister Lazarus Gage needed her attention, so he did not divert it with questions. Instead, he gave Miss Wardell and Ajayi Abiodun a nod each and returned to the quarterdeck.

There he found the ship as it had been and noted that already they were returning to that course that would bring them to Montserrat, the cutter crew gliding along in their shadow.

The Surgeon kept half notice of the conversation taking place behind where she stood. Old habits died hard and even though there lie a certain amount of security within this wooden hull, one could never be too comfortable to surroundings. She had gleaned the name of the man prone before her and wondered if her skills would prove true enough that "Gage" would be called in greeting in the days to follow or in departure to the sea's final repose.

The only thing certain, was that his two companions would be fine and regardless of their choice of fates, this man could and would not be moved. The combination of damage and emanciation by all rights should have sent him to his Maker...But, it had not and mayhaps whatever spirit that was contained within fragile shell, would continue to rage and mock the Gather of Souls in spite.

"Monsieur Gage..."she whispered softly. " It appears that you and I have become dance partners for the duration."

Tempest turned from him and ticked off the things that would need tending first. It was going to be a very long night...

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

Jack made his way below to the Armoury, pausing briefly at the Infirmary's door. He overhead Miss - what was it, Wardell? - say that she was an indentured servant. He shook his head, and continued on to his daily inventory of the ship's small arms.

He understood the economics and politics of slavery, both white and black. But it never sat well with him, and he had little time for those who would trade in human cargo. On more than one occassion, he had been brought before the Admiralty for interfering in Spanish slave commerce. Knowing full well that slavers preferred to work beyond the law in order to maximise profits, few if any would be carrying proper papers. True, their complaints that Jack had herded them into English waters, and therefore subject to search, were true; but who is to trust a captain that carries no papers, accurate manifest, nor complete muster?

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

I woke from my nap with a start thinking id missed my watch I hurredly made my way up and onto the main deck asking Siren if she would like anything as it would be soon I'd be on my way up? She answered no just hurry she needed the priv. I waved that I understood and realizing by the suns height I was a little early went back down into the galley for a coffee.

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

I had been passing in and out of consciousness ever since being hoisted aboard where ever it is that I am. I picked up bits and pieces of conversation here and there; a majority of the conversation I heard was between who I learned to be the Captain and Meg. The ship I am on is called the Watch Dog, and then Meg’s voice, “There was an explosion. I was topside when it happened, so I'm afraid I can't offer any explanation for it.” The explosion…… My mind flashes back to the event. I try and speak but my lips won’t move. The Captain leaves and I am left with whom I can only assume is the surgeon on this vessel leaning over me, she whispers to me, “It appears that you and I have become dance partners for the duration.” As she turns away I am able to speak a few words as my parched lips crack a smile, “My dear woman, I haven’t danced in ages, so I would appreciate it if you lead at first. My legs feel rather wobbly.”

GageSig.png

The weakened voicing causes hesitation to the Surgeon's calculations and turning back she smiles in respones to his comment.

"Monsieur, I believe we should start with a slow waltz, or perhaps the minuet "

She chuckles softly and leaning a bit closer makes observation to his quality of alertness and clarity of eyes. Armand silently brings the ever faithful stool to her and lingers as she perches atop.

"Monsieur Gage...It is Gage is it not? Your female companion stated as much."

His affirmation in full, gained the Surgeon's approval inwardly. She had no desire to distress him with too many questions, but simple conversation and query would give much, at least to the manner of his mental state. Sitting a little straighter upon rounded surface, she considered what had been offered thus far.

" Well then, Monsieur, I welcome you to the Chateau de Medecine, the accommodations are simple, the service sublime, the food...well, it will surfice. Armand and myself, shall see to it that your stay is comfortable and with cess on our side, it will not be overlong. I am not completely aware of all that your companions and yourself have been through, but it is in the past and we are only concerned with the present and the future, oui?"

With that she stood, " I cannot tell you falsehoods in regard to the possibilities of discomfort. Your body has seen much abuse and it may take measures of what may seem unkind, to rectify and reverse its ravagings. I can tell you thus, you can take hold in the facts that I shall do my best to undo what has been done. Try to get some rest and do not hesitate to make request, I am in your service."

Smiling encouragement, Tempest moved away and after a brief discussion with the Gascon, sat down to write a quick memorandum to the Captain. Handing it to Armand, she bade it be taken to William's attention. There was a smallish indication of protest that shown in the Frenchman's eyes, and she knew it had everything to do with his not leaving her alone with the massive Nubian who had sat quietly with placid manner since his arrival. A small interchange in French ensued, and Armand finally gave in to her undaunted will, but not without showing signs of exasperation.

Watching his departure, the Surgeon made a sly of glance to the mountainous man in question. Careful deduction stated that she should see to his needs next and composing herself, approached him with a proper show of welcome. The dark hued eyes of obvious intelligence, took in the the pantomime, but never wavered their calm bearing.

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

Middle Watch Two Bells

July 1, 1704

Lieutenant Lamaire had done as requested earlier that evening. Now in the beginnings of a new day, in the dead of night, Jean-Micheale Fournier had been roused from sleep to stand the Quarter deck. The Chasse de Mer was never given the order of full suite of sail after their reduction with the observations of rescue from the deep blue. Royals had been added when the other frigate changed course to previous intentions, but nothing more. Before going below, the Capitaine informed his cousin, that pacing of equal manner should be reduced though not with sudden outward appearance, that he was retiring early and wished to be woke in the Middle watch.

Now, in the passing of Midnight hour, Fournier collapsed 'glass and moved away from the rail to take over the helm. Instictivly, he knew their proximity to Montserrat and if better time had been made in the passing days, Chasse would have been further to the North and East of current local; the fair shores of St. Barthelemy would wait until another time. Giving one last glance to distant indication of stern lights, the Frenchman contemplated again if the other frigate were indeed an "unlucky ship"; strange occurances seemed to draw to Her as a norm.

Without looking from his focus of light pin points, Jean-Micheale called to his cousin quietly, knowing full well that Lieutenant would be standing near.

"Monsieur Lamaire, please see to the extinguishing of all deck and stern lanterns."

Dominique's brow furrowed in brief at the request, as the Capitaine continued.

"We shall be changing our bearing when this has been accomplished. Make the crew aware that we are turning back South and adjustments should be made accordingly, s'il vous plait."

The Lieutenant looked briefly to the location of the two other ships,

"Oui, Capitaine...as you wish."

One by one the lanterns were doused, until only the ghostly pale of moon gave any indication of Her existance. Nimbly, She gave heed to Her Master's want and heeling to starboard, danced lightly the ink hues of liquid salt. The winds playing Her kind, Chasse de Mer took the spray into her teeth, champing the bit to be given Her lead. Heralded by the snap of lofty pennant She slipped away, as if dreamed apparition to the embrace of enigmatic departure.

Jack was unable to sleep. He wandered the length and breadth of the ship in order to make himself weary, to no avail. Finally, he made his way to the quarterdeck, a familiar place that never ceased to give him solace. He watched the Dutch ship in tow for a while, then turned his attention to the Chasse de Mer. His brow furrowed as, one by one, the deck lanterns of the French vessel were extinguished. Without hesitation, he reached for the deck bell and sounded the alarm. Our consort had abandoned us.

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

William was roused from his thoughts at the taffrail and he went immediately to the Master at Arms.

"Mister St. Anthony!"

"Sir! The French have extinguished their lights! They're..."

William was already nodding with a look that betrayed no concern. "I know, Mister St. Anthony. We are entering into British waters. The French cannot remain and I asked that they slip away quietly, once we reached this region of the sea. Neither I or them want to attract too much attention."

William paused to raise his spyglass in the dark.

"There's no harm done, though Fournier may be wondering now, why we are sounding a bell when it isn't the proper time for one."

William watched, but the Chasse de Mer was nowhere to be seen in such darkness and she gave no answering bell. Still, many of the Watch Dog's crew arrived on the deck. Mister St. Anthony may have been embarrassed, but William used the moment to make use of the gathering crowd.

"Good lads and good lasses. The French have fallen off astern and we are now on our own. We must now see more to our own protection. Regular watches will once again commence. A double guard will be armed while we are in these waters and all hands will be available should the bell sound again.

Before the dawn we shall cut the Danzig free of the Watch Dog and send up what signal we may for their rescue. Once this is done, we will turn south again for Spanish waters. The goods we carry, compensation for services to the Danzig, will line our pockets with Spanish silver and gold for months to come."

"Or days if we're lucky!" Mister Johnson cried and pantomimed the figure of a Spanish lady. This brought several smiles and more than a few laughs.

"Aye." William continued. "I'll not begrudge anyone here the chance to go ashore and spend what they will."

He dismissed them to their duties or hammocks and clapped Mister St. Anthony on the shoulder. "Be ready with the arms locker key, should we need it, and see that you rest awhile more while there is time for resting."

*Rummy joins Mr Hawks at the railing in the darkness and welcomes a cleansingly deep breath* " Good Eve, Mr Hawks, I'm surprised to find you here at this late hour. "

* a comfortable pause of silence * "It seems that we will soon release the Danzig Trader, and for that I am relieved. The WatchDog has been taxed with the tow and that fierce storm we endured together. Once we are free of them, I imagine we will have to make some close inspections and a bit of preventive maintenance. Lad, I heard that the female that was rescued is the daughter of an arrow maker. Prehaps if she stays, she will be of assistance to you in your trade here on the ship."

Ahh... Rummy. First I e'res ya, then I sees ya. What I means was, I eards ya playin. Ana right fyne tune too. I be up late cusin it be a calm sea fer now, nice salt breeze in me face, ana the sky filled wit stars. Not many a tyme like this once on the water. No one ta be yellin thing either. Quiet is good when ya can get it I says. Me only regret was earin yer flute stop. But now that ya be ere, yer company is right welcome. Ow bout a draw o me pipe?

As far as the arrow maker, we shall see. Cana promise a thing.

Mr Hawks and Rummy lean against the rain breathing the night air in deeply as the ship sails on.

Shoots anything that moves!!

*Still cursing to herself about how she behaved when the French were first sighted she kept her distance from the crew (and especially Jack) she just sat in her usual spot on deck finishing up what repairs she could make to the new comers clothes.* "How could I just freeze like that, and turn into such a child? The crew is depending on me, and I become afraid of my own shadow."

*Out of the corner of her eye she sees Jack coming by, she starts to open her mouth, but before she can speak, she feels the sudden prick of her needle* "Ouch," *and smal trick of blood seps from her index finger* "See that's what you get for letting your mind wander" *She scolded herself*"Your just very fortunate that night, when your mind did the same no one needlessly gor hurt."

"I know, I know." she sighed

Kendra2.jpg

"Courage is the decision to fly straight into the flame while knowing the consequences"~ The Adventures Of A Notorious Youth Capt. Hook

By: J. V. Hart

"A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving."~Lao Tzu 490-570 BC

---------

Yes, I am leaving the pub. I don't know when or if I will come back to this port. I will check in from time to time. Until then:

*raising goblet of good cheer*

" To high adventure, and wild romance....long may they endure!"

For I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content

Philippians 4:11

Twitter:

TwittKnitter

Facebook:

shanamartin1

I went on reading through the night and was made awares of times passage when the first coastal birds made mornings call. It had grown warm before this mornings dawn. Though lite hadn't arrived, a reason to celebraate was certainly made awares to by the number of waking crew and travel in the commons. I decided to get up get dressed eat and be on main deck for first suns surprise.

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

Date and Time....

July 1, 1704 Morning Watch ( 4 AM- 8 AM )

Forenoon Watch ( 8 AM - Noon)

the majesty of purples going into the hues of midnight, royal and then light blue and ?....... A flute softly giving reason for this days understanding of grace and beauty. God bless Rummy and her wonderous flutes voice. (I looks down and in a prayer) Thank ye lord this day, this ship and this crew. God be with 'em all and God thank you, thank you fer Rummy too! Amen

::As dawn befell the Watch Dog, I stayed on the Quarterdeck all the while looking for Mr. Youngblood to let him know of my new position. After hearing the bell, I remained by my 9 pounder in case of another call to arms . . .::

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."