Pyrates of the West Coast

I head down to the closet and find a neatly wrapped bundle of what I suspect is salted beef hangin there on the wall and peels it back (just a sconce) and sees it ta be in very good shape. So I tears off a hank and closes it back up and re hangs it. I puts it in a tuber and stuffs it under me watseband. Returnin to the main deck the spot on the 'orizon is now nearly visible to the naked eye. But still I'm peerin through me glass. Yarrgghhh they be three on the raft errghhh something their on. I says aloud but really to meself.

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

William has been up a quarter of an hour and making notations on bearing and speed against those outdated charts he has before him. Most of his maps are well made and adequate for the day, but his information on Montserrat is limited.

Then cries from above of sightings in the water rouse him to the day and he dresses in his coat and hat. He is met by a runner halfway down the companionway with word of a man sighted off at a distance to starboard.

"Very well." he says as he continues outward on to the gun deck.

William advances to the quarterdeck and removes his own glass. What he sees at this distance can barely be called a man, but he has learned to trust Ciaran's good eyes.

"It is off of our course but a little. We shall divert our course to see what there is to see."

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpg

Gaining the upper deck, the Doctor paused, squinting to the glare and snugged the hat down further in front. Calls rang down from the top mast, herald obscured by the stretch of royals, but the voice unmistakable. Cringing she moved towards the "holy ground" to decipher what had inspired the hurried movement of hands and change of course.

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

Aye Cap'n...

::Mr. Lasseter climbs down from the mizzen mast rigging to the quarterdeck::

There be atleast one alive on what 'pears ta be wreckage... I'd not let a man drown out 'ere lest I knew 'im ta be mine enemy... Wi' yer permission might I 'ave th' cutter rigged out, take an armed crew and see what there is ta see?

::He stood, waiting for his captain to decide the course of action. While waiting, he noticed the Surgeon slowly taking the stair to the quarterdeck, a hat pulled over her eyes...::

Hmmm....

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

William said nothing at first. He watched at the rail for some time before he could discern a figure moving and perhaps waving to them. The man was far off and it would be some time before they reached him.

He asked Mister Lasseter to call for Mister St. Anthony, Youngblood, Warren and the Monsignor to join them at the rail.

Aye, Cap'n...

::Mr. Lasseter stepped to the break in the quarterdeck...::

Pass word fer th' Master 't Arms, Master Gunner, an' Monsignor!

An' you too, Mr. Warren... Cap'n would have ye come o'er here...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

Jack made his way to the gun deck, and it felt like his eyes were trying to crawl into the back of his head to escape the sunlight. The cane helped explain away any unsteadiness, and he hoped no one pay much attention to his attempts to quit squinting. His head pounded like a signal gun, and he prayed silently that Mr. Youngblood would not be asked to fire a salute.

"Master At Arms, reporting for duty, Captain. I take it the morning brings us an unexpected diversion?"

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

"Aye, sir. Nothing a little of Christine's coffee won't remedy, I assure you" Jack confessed, more than a little embarrassed.

"See to your needs, Sir. And when you are refreshed, come again to the quarterdeck. We have time enough."

William watched him go and waited at the rail, taking note that all other things aboard were being seen to.

Having climbed the main mast to give Ciaran his due. I was coming back down when I heard the Captains request stepping up to Him I says. Aye Aye sir!

"Monsignor, would you please go and fetch us up a water cask and some food to be taken in the cutter. And see what spare blankets can be found to serve those who may be discovered in the water. Once you have these, please bring them here and I shall discuss what orders are to be acted out in this regard."

The change of course did not go unnoticed from Chasse de Mer's men aloft, nor the attention of Lieutenat Lamaire. Moving to the port side, he extended glass to gleen why the other frigate was changing heading to starboard. Shaking his head without resolve, Dominique closed the glass whispering under breath, "C'est curieux..."

Issuing orders to another officer, Lamaire proceeded below to where Fournier scribed an update to large leather log book; the soft rap pausing quill's movement.

"Oui? Entrer. "

Securing the door behind, Dominique relayed the strange alteration of heading, siteing that there were no reasons to do as such.

"Oui...there are no shoals in this area, no obstructions that would call for the action they are taking..." Fournier's brow creased in thought. "There have been no sightings of sail?"

The Lieutenant gave negation. Jean-Micheale closed the log and he stood away from the chair.

" Send up extra men to the tops, I will be above in a few moments."

"Tres vien..." The young Lieutenant hurried above to dispatch orders.

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

*Making his way up to the main deck from below, he hears his name being called. He starts to run. Once on deck, the cool morning breeze fells good on his face as he squints his eyes from the blinding light. He heads up to the quarterdeck.*

Aye Sir.

"Ah, Mister Youngblood. For safety's sake I should like to have you standing by with a third of your gunnery crew at the ready. We may be bringin strangers aboard very soon."

Making my way down into the hold I again grab six chunks of salted beef one small bag of lemons and a bag of hard tack tying them to my waist. I retrieve one of the new casks of sweet water Ciaran and I filled in the jungle. (thinking back how long ago was that? Must be six or seven weeks ago i figure ummmmm time doth fly) I makes my way back up one deck onto the gun deck and find ample throws and swing them over my left shoulder. carryin the cask of water under my right arm the throws on me left shoulder and my belt tied full of eats i make my way back up to the main deck and walk over to the cutters local. I wave to the captain, I'm ready! he acknowledges my prompt return and I begins loading the stuffs into its hull.

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

Obtaining his best 'glass, Fournier proceeded above and met Lamaire, asking if there had been further changes. With nothing new reported, he continued to the main and climbed to the crosstrees to increase ability to survey.

Stabilizing his wieght upon the lofty perch, the 'glass was extended to view surround in an arch to no avial. Changing center to the near distant frigate and her consort, Fournier gleaned a gathering of men at her rail looking outward, but was unable to decipher what they were so intent on. Lowering the 'glass, he tapped its rounded surface, puzzling what lay unseen.

Having finished and properly diplaced the weight and propping the items in so as to not allow any movement whilst on the sea. I hurried down to me quarters where it was I would make my change into me robes. I sat a moment in recluse chattin with me maker talking about the ways that change a mans life from all expected into that where nothing is known. And! how lucky I be!

Returning to the quarterdeck after some piping coffee and a bit of food, Jack takes a long, hard look at Chasse de Mer...

"Captain, if I may - our companion seems curious about what we're up to. Looks to be a gaggle of Frenchman on deck, all straining with their 'glasses. Should we run up a signal flag, sir?"

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

"No. Mister St. Anthony. Not yet."

William was still looking through his glass and watching the imperceptible man on the water.

"When we come within a reasonable distance to this castaway, we will lower the cutter and intercept him. I want the cutter men armed and prepared to give aid, but we cannot afford to retard the speed of the Watch Dog while we have a good wind on her, so the cutter will have little time to do what it may to bring this man safely to..."

"TWO MEN ON THE WATER, CAP'N!" Ciaran cried down, interrupting their plans with this important correction.

"ARE YOU CERTAIN, MISTER CIARAN!?"

There was a long pause this time, while Ciaran scrutinized the small raft or wreckage for survivors. He was a long time in answering.

"I CAN BE CERTAIN OF TWO! THERE MAY BE ATHIRD, BUT I'D NOT SWEAR BY IT!"

William nodded. "Prepare arms and the cutter, gentleman. We'll lower away, when we near them."

::As the Captain made his orders known, the QuarterMaster stood, with 'glass in right hand, left on the hilt of his sword, his fingers lightly tapping... He looked at the Surgeon, standing not five feet away, seeming to be trying to get her bearings, slightly swaying... He stepped closer, turning to sight through his glass...::

Ye be a'right Lass? Seem a wee bit wob'ly this morn....

::His Words were cut short by the lookout hailing the deck that there were two, maybe three people on the wreckage....::

Aye... more in th' water....

Cap'n WHo would ye like ta be goin' in th' cutter? Shall I pick th' crew?

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

The Surgeon inclined her head ever so carefully to ensure the shade of hat brim and attempted a weak smile.

"Nothing of the kind, sir. Fit as a fiddle."

Her pallor did nothing to back statement.

"I thank you for your concern, though..."

Squinting to the glare of sunlit water, she attempted to refocus bearing to what possibilities lay ahead.

Aye... more in th' water....

Cap'n WHo would ye like ta be goin' in th' cutter? Shall I pick th' crew?

William collapsed his spyglass, since Ciaran was aloft, he had little need of it.

"Take Mister Warren and the Monsignor. The rest I leave to you. You may take arms and go with the cutter if you like, Mister Lasseter."

Aye, Cap'n....

Mr. Warren, Monsignor, Mr. Hawks, Firethorn, Johnson... You come along wi' the rest o' the crew...

Mr. Hawks, be so kind as ta accompany Mr. St. Anthony t' th' armoury an' get a cutlass, pistol, an' musket fer each man... Aye...

::He turned to the Surgeon...::

Care ta take a trip out n' see iffn' they need yer speciality right off?

Right, soon as th' arms be aboard, lower away an' we'll cast off... Mr. Warren, I'll 'ave you an' the crew set sails right quick, I'll take th' tiller...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif