Pyrates of the West Coast

"Mr Hawks, will ye take a look at this walking stick I have made for our captain. I've seen the strength grow and his use of the crutch I had made him is no longer necessary. " Just as I hand the cane over to Mr Hawks, we are joined by Mad Jack. "Ah! This be the cane I had mentioned to you earlier this day, Mad Jack. Would the size be about right for you as well?"

:blink:

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, thar Rummy, I sees ya does fyne good work. The Capin should be pleanty pleased by what ya done fer um. The finish be as nice as the masts on deck. Now, i'fn ya let me, I know this aint my place, but I cana make a fyne brass cap fer it ta finish it off afor ya gives it to em. What say ya.

Shoots anything that moves!!

:: Jack hears Rummy's voice, and turns to see the walking stick she's crafted for the Captain. As he does so, his knee fails to support him, and he loses his balance. Dorian grabs Jack's arm to steady him. Rummy kindly brings the cane to him ::

Rummy, you are indeed a master of your craft! This rivals the finest gentlemen's canes I've seen in London! I would be most honoured if you would produce such a walking stick to assist in my recovery.

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

::As the Captain descends into the cutter, Johnson and I maintain eye contact with the crew. While furrowed brows and scowls mark our faces, the Dutch crew shows their own contempt that we would even think that they would be hiding Van Buren among them. As I can climb over the gunwale into the cutter, Im sure to let the Dutch know::

If'n we be findin' him, we'll be sure ta let ya know.

::Apparently, sarcasm doesn't bode well with the Dutch crew.::

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

Well, thar Rummy, I sees ya does fyne good work. The Capin should be pleanty pleased by what ya done fer um. The finish be as nice as the masts on deck. Now, i'fn ya let me, I know this aint my place, but I cana make a fyne brass cap fer it ta finish it off afor ya gives it to em. What say ya.

*Huge smile and a quick wink at Mr Hawks* "I was SO hoping you would volunteer such an adornment! It would be much appreciated !" :)

:: Jack hears Rummy's voice, and turns to see the walking stick she's crafted for the Captain. As he does so, his knee fails to support him, and he loses his balance. Dorian grabs Jack's arm to steady him. Rummy kindly brings the cane to him ::

Rummy, you are indeed a master of your craft! This rivals the finest gentlemen's canes I've seen in London! I would be most honoured if you would produce such a walking stick to assist in my recovery.

*Feeling me chest puff up with pride, and a smile on me face* "Would be my pleasure, Mad Jack. Given your current need, and the fact that I have already begun a second, it may be completed this very day. This looks to be just about the right length for you as well. Let me take a measurement or two :wub: and I'll be getting back to work on it straightforth."

I have walked the decks in search of remembering this womans face fairly tall 5' and 6 heavy arm muscles and strong legs as well. Not good looking by any stretch but almost handsome and it hit me. I ran back to the three bodies and uncovered the woman. I am right. Turning I look for the master gunner He is below on the gun deck I surmise. I again turn to Mr Lassiter. "Quartermaster I say look here man..... This woman we are with suspect as to whom she could be well sir I have figured this puzzle and see how this plays if you will. Our missing two men one of which Shipwreck John is a true loss. Then there's the gunners powder monkey Van Buren..... Look, look at this face and see that this woman is Van Buren!

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

(climbing down the ropes, as his watch ended, Ciaran nearly falls, as he overhears the Monsignor's revelation)

Mon Dieu! Van Buren was a woman!

I wonder if one of the most important steps on our journey is the one in which we throw away the map.

-- Loreena McKennitt

My fathers knew of wind and tide, and my blood is maritime.

-- Stan Rogers

I don't pretend to be captain weird.

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

(joining the Monsignor, Mr. St. Anthony, and the QM, Ciaran stands lookin' down at the body of 'Van Buren')

Monsignor, what do you make of this? It seems that every answer creates more questions.

I wonder if one of the most important steps on our journey is the one in which we throw away the map.

-- Loreena McKennitt

My fathers knew of wind and tide, and my blood is maritime.

-- Stan Rogers

I don't pretend to be captain weird.

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

Mister Warren was proved a master of the cutter as he maneuvered the sleek craft away from the Danzig Trader. They were just reaching the Watch Dog when William ordered them on to the Chasse de Mer. As they approached, he was not surprised to find several officers, including Fournier, gathered with spyglasses at the rail.

"Ahoy, Captain." William called out.

"What news, Captain?" Fournier returned.

"Four hands lost. Two of mine and two of the Danzig Trader."

"My condolences, Captain."

Mister Warren brought the cutter along side the Chasse de Mer, but did not slow the craft. The officers of the Chasse de Mer moved along the rail as it glided past.

"Have any of mine come aboard there?" William asked.

Fournier shook his head. "We've seen none and assisted none."

"Thank you, Captain. I shall send some word presently." William said as the cutter was gliding away and back to the Watch Dog. "I have questions that I would ask of you."

"We remain for the present." Fournier called back, the distance growing too great for conversation.

William tipped his hat and settled down for the short, graceful trip back to the Watch Dog. It proved to be short indeed, for Mister Warren was getting a feel for her now and he brought the cutter up swiftly enough to make Mister Brisbane flinch a little at the bow.

William went aboard, thanking the men for their respective duties. There he found a few men gathered again over the bodies.

It seemed that the mystery of Van Buren had been discovered and yet remained even more mysterious for that discovery.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpg

::the QuarterMaster was standing on the deck, watching as the poor souls who were fished out of the sea were being sewn up in scraps of sailcloth, as the 'Dog' had no spare hammocks to use, when Mr. St. Anthony came to him, an angry his in his voice as he hands a scrap of paper to the QuarterMaster...::

Wot's 'iss?

:: Mr. Lass reads the note... the look on his face is one of indignant bemusement, when the Monsignor approaches advising the QuarterMaster to take a look at the woman, whom he has recognized as Mr. Van Buren....::

Bloody....... Why.... me thinks ye may be right.... Mebee...

:: as the men stand and scrutinize the bodies, the captain returns to see them doing so...::

Ah Hmmm.... Goode ta see ye back Cap'n... Seems M. Diego 'as seen tha' this Lass bears quite th' resemblance o' Mr. Van Buren... funny ol' world... Innit?

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Ah Hmmm.... Goode ta see ye back Cap'n... Seems M. Diego 'as seen tha' this Lass bears quite th' resemblance o' Mr. Van Buren...  funny ol' world... Innit?

"Aye. Funny." William says without a trace of humor in his voice, bending to examine the face. It is Van Buren after a fashion. The face is grey and gastly, but the resemblance is there.

"Bring Van Buren's personables and possibles to my cabin."

Aye-aye Cap'n...

:: the QuarterMaster sends two of the trusted crew down to the tween decks to retrieve the sea chaest and other possibles or Mr. Van Buren....::

Tis odd indeed.... Ah, Cap'n.... wot news from th' frenchies?

:: As he asks the question, the two lads come up through the main hatch, slightly struggling with the sea chest... they deposit it in front of the Quartermaster...::

Well done Lads.... There ye be Cap'n.... Ah... ye wanted this in yer Ward room... Sorry Lads, off ye take it to Cap'n's Ward.....

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

Mr. Warren I should like to take these here departed over to the Danzig Trader when you find it convenient. And if the captain would approve your waiting there for me till after a service then?

(so I turns to Mr Lassiter) Quartermaster, Picture this! Scully sees and recognizes Van Buren when he comes aboard or vice versa Van Buren recognizes Scully. Scully gets locked in the hold and Van buren makes (initiates) contact with him. He is bribed somehow to get to the Danzig Trader and kill the two men that accompanied Skully on board the "Dog" here! So he picks a time condusive to achieving both secretive murders at near the same time and without being caught and in fact runs the two of them through. Sending the first overboard and then while sticking the second he the victim infact knowing he's all but fatally wounded in a last ditch effort he latches on to Van Buren and drags him overboard as well and ends up drowning him / her.

But where is Shipwreck?

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

"No speculations, Monsignor. Prepare to have services aboard the Watch Dog."

William turns to Mister Lasseter.

"Have Mister Badger take us closer to the Danzig, so that they might hear the service performed by the Monsignor, here. Keep the Van Buren body separate from the others. We'll have our own service for our people later.

Send for me when you are ready to begin, Monsignor."

William follows the chest bearers below to learn what he can from Van Buren's effects.

Interestin' thoughts there Monsignor.... but aye... Cap'n's right, not ta speculate just yet....

Aye, Cap'n..... MR. BADGER! Bring us within ha'f a cable length ta th' Danzig Trader...

You lads, set th' rig ta sway them two Dutchies, may they rest in peace, down inta th' barge when ready.....

Right.... whene'er yer ready Monsignor.....

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Monsignor, It'll be a short time afore we be set close ta the Danzig.... no more than time fer ye t'get some victuals... I'll send fer ye shortly...

::Mr. Lasseter turns and heads to the quarterdeck, taking his place to leeward....::

Steady as she goes...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Me thinks I could use a tot o' rum after this 'ere mornin.

Mr. Youngblood, permission ta 'eds b'low for a sip o' Nelson's blood?

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

I was back on the main deck in time to find the final ropes being tied. The Danzig trader brought up the entire crew and marine compliment to full decks view. (I immediately thought the French will certainly have a bit of a problem knowing all of these men are aboard!) I turned to face the Watch Dogs Crew and asked that the captain be sent for as he instructed.

I bowed my head in a peaceful and silent offering.

The captain came upon main deck afore my finish and I nodded his arrival.

Turning to face the Dutch ship I began with:

Let us Pray:

Dearly beloved, we are gathered here not as enemies but as friends, ....... family, ..... brothers. We have become close oh lord in your trials allowing those with guilty and unloving hearts to find exacting harm in return as your glory be told to those that take then too shall they be taken from. An eye for an eye ..... Aye! Amen!

I shall read from: Psalms 94:12-23

Happy are those whom you discipline, LORD, and those whom you teach from your law. You give them relief from troubled times until a pit is dug for the wicked. The LORD will not reject his people; he will not abandon his own special possession. Judgment will come again for the righteous, and those who are upright will have a reward. Who will protect me from the wicked? Who will stand up for me against evildoers? Unless the LORD had helped me, I would soon have died. I cried out, "I'm slipping!" and your unfailing love, O LORD, supported me. When doubts filled my mind, your comfort gave me renewed hope and cheer. Can unjust leaders claim that God is on their side – leaders who permit injustice by their laws? They attack the righteous and condemn the innocent to death. But the LORD is my fortress; my God is a mighty rock where I can hide. God will make the sins of evil people fall back upon them. He will destroy them for their sins. The LORD our God will destroy them.

Let us pray

In sure and certain hope of the resurrection to eternal life through our Lord Jesus Christ, we commend to Almighty God our brothers Eynbrecht and Visser; and we commit their body to the ground through your oceans blue; earth to earth; ashes to ashes, dust to dust. The Lord bless them and keep them, the Lord make this face to shine upon them and be gracious unto them and give them peace. Oh Yes and Van buren as well lord. Though you are not with us Shipwreck John we are with you and pray you are alive and well! Amen....

I shall close in reading from Psalms 82:6-8

I say, 'You are gods and children of the Most High. But in death you are mere men. You will fall as any prince, for all must die.'" Rise up, O God, and judge the earth, for all the nations belong to you.

(I wanted to be sure the french heard this last passage as we are all brothers and mayhaps have in so doing bought these dutch marines safe harbor yet......)

William waited for the Monsignor to return to the Watch Dog after the service before asking Mister Lasseter to separate the two ships once again. He thanked the Monsignor, joining Mister Lasseter amidships.

"The crew has labored enough today. Have the cook kill one of the pigs and a few chickens. And perhaps, while we are at rest, we might have some of the lads try a hand at fishing."

It seemed a strange turn of subject after a funeral, but William explained.

"We shall have a wake for Mister Sons come night fall. All hands are to be given rest, with the exception of the lookouts, who shall be relieved at regular intervals. We shall celebrate him in death as he was want to do in life.

Eat, drink and be merry, gentleman."