Pyrates of the West Coast

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(Mr. PEW's words to Ciaran had been very true. The Lookout's eyes were being tested by the black of night. From aloft the torches did little to light the night and the ocean remained an inky darkness far below. Hearing Diego's shouts, Ciaran strains to see what has been found in the water.)

I wonder if one of the most important steps on our journey is the one in which we throw away the map.

-- Loreena McKennitt

My fathers knew of wind and tide, and my blood is maritime.

-- Stan Rogers

I don't pretend to be captain weird.

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

“Aye, I have it!”

Having gained the object in the water, the barge crew maneuvers to pick it up. It appears to be a barrel, about the size of a small powder keg. On closer inspection, a shirt is found caught on one of the barrel hoops.

“Ello the boat! ...We ‘ave found what appears to be tha’ Dutchman’s shirt!... Wrapped up on this ‘ere barrel! ...We’ll continue on ta th’ Danzig an’ board the search party!... Then we’ll scout th’ other side o’ tha’ ship an return wi’ th’ barrel an’ shirt!”

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Jim Warren and the barge crew boarded the search party onto the Dutch trader and continued to search the water through the night. Toward six bells of the morning watch, as light began to lighten the horizon, the weary barge crew retuned to the Watch Dog without having spotted either of the missing crewmembers. Misters Cirian, P.E.W., Firethorn and Straw were still searching aboard the Danzig. Rounding the bow of the ship, a voice among the crew said, “What the bloody ‘ell is tha?”

Looking up from under the bow of the ship, Jim and the barge crew could see what was invisible from above and only visible from the water in the growing light. It was a tattered sleeve, blood soaked and rudely cut from an oilskin. It lay impaled on the anchor hook at the cathead. A silence fell on the crew as each imagined the last desperate struggle for life, the decision to cut free and the last sickening fall into the sea. Mr. Warren untangled the sleeve with a boathook, and took it on deck for the captain.

“Good work lads, clear th’ barge an’ stow ‘er. I’ll see abou’ an extra ration o’ grog fer ye, an’ relief from th’ next watch ta rest yerselves. An’ bring me tha’ powder barrel: th’ Captain’l be wantin’ ta see tha’ as well.”

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Hours before, William had been both distracted and bemused by his Steward's demands that he take better care of himself. It was a fault of his to avoid meals and sleep when pressed with too many concerns at once, so he had allowed her to wait on him with food and wine. She had stood hard by while he ate every crumb of it.

Now, it was several hours later and nothing had come from the search a yet. No sign of either Mister Sons or Mister Van Buren had been reported, and now William though he might be starting the new day with two funerals, instead of just the one.

Everything had gone so well, despite accidents and the logistics of seeing over two ships while an armed frigate loomed in the near vicinity. Fires, injury, hunger and storm had all passed, and just as he would have ordered a feast aboard the Watch dog at all their good fortune, this news of missing men and discovered weapons had come.

William drew on his coat and hat and went to the quarterdeck to relieve the officers there. He sent Mister Lasseter and the Mister Badger to their places of rest while he waited for word from the search crews aboard the Danzig.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpg

I hears the commotion - an interruption to the conversation I was just havin with Mr Hawks. Our attention is directed towards the Padre. "Wonder what it tis they's found?" Mr Hawks raises his eyebrows and we both turn to make way towards the sounds.

"Well Rummy, this be a mite strange. Does ya sees anything yet? I hears nothin new. I could have sworn it come from o'r e're likes they mayhap see somthin. We best be keepin close, yet observin what we can."

Rummy and Jonathan look about to see or hear more of what was happening.

Shoots anything that moves!!

“Good work lads, clear th’ barge an’ stow ‘er. I’ll see abou’ an extra ration o’ grog fer ye, an’ relief from th’ next watch ta rest yerselves. An’ bring me tha’ powder barrel: th’ Captain’l be wantin’ ta see tha’ as well.”

::As we gathered what gear we brought aboard the Danzig Trader, I made one last pass around the bow scanning for anything else in the water.::

Aye sah, thankee s . . . . . .

::My voice trailed off as I saw what indeed I thought it may be.::

OFF THE PORT BOW!!!

MAN IN THE WATER!!

::Mr Ciaran ran to the gunwale and looked through his eyepiece at the figure face down in the water. Pete Straw and I scampered down into the Samson. "AND ANOTHER" One of the WD crewmen aboard the Danzig yelled. "PORT. 9 DEGREES." yells the voice. "'OLY 'ELL, AND ANOTHER!!" Pointing in the direction of the other 2 bodies, the voice continues, "Bearing 5 degrees off the port bow."::

MR CIARAN- Better get word to the Captain! We got 3 bodies in 'e water 'ere.

::By this time the gunwale of the Watch Dog had filled with the crew. With the glint of sunrise reflecting off the water, it was hard to make out who was on the deck. We pull the Samson alongside the first body. As Mr Straw draws the gaff we hook the body around the leg of his breeches. As the body nears the boat, Mr Straw and I look at each other.::

Pete, 'tis not any man we be looking for, eh?

::Pete and I haul the body aboard the Samson and determine it was one of the crew of the Danzig Trader. Making our way towards the next, I hear the voice call out from the Danzig Trader, "FROM YOUR BEARING, STARBOARD, 3 DEGREES"::

'Tis not a good way ta start the mornin', eh Pete . . . .

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

::Pete and I gaff the next body and bring him aboard the Samson::

An'o'er of the Dutchies? Wot be goin' on the Danzig since we cut 'er loose? Too many men o'erboard I thinks . . .

::Looking over the body for any maladies to have come to this man we find a soaked piece of parchment, a pipe and some waterlogged tobacco. "HARD TO STARBOARD, 9 DEGREES," the voice booms again from the Danzig.::

::Pete and I bring the Samson around and snare the next body. As the body rolls over, we notice one of the sleeve's were missing. Pete says it must've been the one Mr. Warren found earlier. Then we notice something we weren't prepared for.::

Christ, Pete.

Wot in the bloody 'ell is goin on 'ere . . .Wot's she doin' on the Dutchie ship . . . .

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

Not being one to risk dispair in times of trouble or need I watch listening to the Sampsons crews banter. I figure tis time for that mass. So I head down to my cabin finding after changing that I am within the legal limit of fairly well on my way to define tanked (after having two large goblets of wine in me cabin) whereupon donned in my robes I go up the stairs and resume my place on the deck next to the captain, Sir, this will not pose too well upon the others, (leans in to whisper) but, I can see from here that two of the men brought up are the faces of two of the Danzigs officers in fact the two that came aboard with their Captain Scully. If I'm not mistaken sir, I sees Eynbrecht and Visser sir? Have we checked on the likes of Scully's stay on board recently sir?

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

*Rising quickly from the comotion above, it causes him to flip his hammock and fall out. Landing on his back with a loud thud, he lies there for a second in shock. The comotion from above brings him back to reality. He jumps up pulls on his boots and puts on his tri corn and runs to the main deck, belaying pin in hand. Stopping quickly he turns back and stows his hammock, then continues to the main deck.*

Petee-2.jpg

*Gathering next to the group of sailors on deck looking at the bodies and realizing what the comotion is all about, he looks about and sees some of his gun crews.*

Ok mates quit ya gawkin, those guns be needin mornin maintenance. Come on now they aint gonna be cleanin themselves.

*He sticks his belaying pin in his boot. And walks the battery lines*

Petee-2.jpg

William called for his Steward and sent her to fetch the Master Gunner, Quartermaster, Carpenter, Blacksmith and Bosun. He wanted to see them all at their earliest convenience.

While he waited for them to arrive, he scratched a few lines into his log book, careful to note the date and time in which Fournier had delivered the Letter of Marque. He almost penned a note about Mister Sons and Mister Van Buren, but decided to wait.

Aye, thank you tudor.

*He makes his way to the captains location on ship.*

Aye sir.

Rather than wait for all to arrive, William deals with each officer in turn upon their arrival.

"Ahh, Mister Youngblood. It may be too early to cover the ground on this subject, but it seems that you may be short two gunners due to the storm. I shall see what I can do to replace them when we reach port.

How did the cannons fair the storm?"

(Out of breath from running, Ciaran at last finds Captain William.)

Sir! Forgive me interruption! Three bodies have been found in the water! Ye are needed on deck, Sir, as soon as possible.

I wonder if one of the most important steps on our journey is the one in which we throw away the map.

-- Loreena McKennitt

-- Stan Rogers

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

::As Pete Straw and I near the Samson to the Watch Dog, I call for any of the ship's officers to come topside.::

Mr YOUNGBLOOD, MR LASSETER . . .

28 June 1704

6 bells of the morning watch 0700

::As the Quartermaster is readying himself to head on deck, the Captain's Steward finds him and informs him that his presence is required in the Ward room....::

Thankee Ms. Smith... I shall be there presently...

:: he turns back to the small mirror, takes the straight razor and tries quickly to remove the stubble from his chin and cheeks... as he draws the blade across his cheek, an odd chance of wind and wave makes the ship lurch, throwing him slightly off balance, when he rights himself and looks back into the small mirror, something is amiss..::

Argh! fer bloody! Now I'm gonna hafta! Ah, HELLS BELLS!!!!

:: The sight that greets him is missing most of half of his moustache... Once his temper settles, he lathers further and cleans all the hair from his upper lip, becoming a clean shaven gentleman...

Finishing up with a scowl, he finishes dressing and arming himself, heads out and aft to the Captain's Ward room...::

Ye wished ta see me, Cap'n?

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

(hearing the shouts for assistance, Ciaran takes his leave of Captain Red Wake and dashes back to the deck)

-- Loreena McKennitt

-- Stan Rogers

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

"Thank you, Mister Youngblood. Please return to your duties."

William nods to Ciaran and taking his hat from the table he turns to find Mister Lasseter entering the room clean shaven. William's eyebrows go up at once.

"Mister Lasseter. I must say that I am surprised..." William leans in to scrutinize his upper lip. "Astonishing. It seems that I owe Mister Badger a drink. We thought never to see you parted from your mouth mane."

William smiles a broad smile, trying not to and failing.

"Join me on the quarterdeck, Mister Lasseter?"

::Mr. Lasseter takes a deep breath, a smirk on his face...::

Ah Hmm.... I see.... a drink....

::trying to ignore the jibes, he turns to the last question...::

Aye, Cap'n I was headin' topside afore ye called me 'ere... away with us then...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Cap'n sah.

These be the three that Pete Straw and I fished out of the water this 'ere morin'. Twas a parchment in one of the men's pockets. Figured 'tis better to let the officers take charge of it sah.

William hunched beside the three bodies. His face went as cold as their faces, blank and emotionless, but his eyes were alive with anger and surprise. Eynbrecht, Visser and a woman.

He removed drew back the shirt of Mister Eynbrecht, revealing a deep gash most probably made with a sword or cutlass. The wound was viscious. He found the same injury elsewhere on Mister Visser. The woman seemed untouched by any injury other than drowning. All of them looked too young for death. Even the Bosun, who was at least twice the age of the others, looked too young here in the sunlight.

William took out the parchment and stepped away to the railing to unfold it. He was not too surprised to find his own face staring back at him from an age worn printing from long ago, declaring that William Brand, also known as William Red Wake, was wanted in connection with several acts of pyracy.

William tried not to crumple it up as anger knotted up in his stomach.

"Mister Lasseter. Please bring me my pistol and mortuary sword."