Pyrates of the West Coast

Captain our lookouts are watchin their gun doors sir and I will take up me position on the bowsprit, sir.

"Monsignor..." William turns to the clergyman with a dawning smile and waving him back. "Would you be so kind as to draw the Samson in as quietly as possible and have them thin the arms to make a place for you? I think we shall send you over as our 'olive branch'. We can use you, as a man of peace, to persuade them to send over several important officers to speak with us about the safety of transporting the Danzig's crew. Then we shall have...guests if anything should go amiss.

Do you take my meaning, sir?"

Aye Aye Captain I shouldn't probably be armed to the teeth in that case I should drop assunder and do yer bidding sir. Bosun I leave these two muskets in your charge sir! Turning to make retreat to the Samson (turns back to the captain) Sir I am dressed for a kill sir do I have time to change?

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I would have you look as holy and unthreatening as possible, my good Monsignor. I leave it in your good hands to dress as you feel you should to throw them well off their gaurd. A bible clutched in hand should add nicely.

And don't feel that you have to lie to them in any way. After all, I have no intention of shooting anyone who will come as our guest."

William pauses to think for a moment. "Perhaps you have enough vestments to dress one or two more in the barge?"

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpg

::Mr. Lasseter makes his way up onto the quarterdeck, the grin still tugging at his mouth...::

Aye, Cap'n.... this be th' most interestin' takin' o' a prize I ever did bare witness ta....

::he looks down at the main deck, still traces of smoke lingering...::

gun.jpg

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

"Aye, Mister Lasseter. This may be the first ship I've ever fired upon with permission from the target."

William nods with an approving smile in the direction of the Master Gunner. "Excellent work there, Mister Youngblood. Remind me to pass an extra ration among your steady shooters."

William considers the foremast for a moment. "No, Mister Youngblood. It is remotely possible that the Danzig foremast may be rigged again to bring the ship to harbor. We will wait for the moment."

William surveys the Danzig. The main mast has toppled over and with no rigging to drag at the Danzig, it is already being urged away from the ship by the sea. Crew members aboard the Dutch ship are milling about supressing any small fires that remain. Most of the Danzig is still intact, though blackened.

William raises the speaking horn again. "With your permission, we should like to have you aboard, sir, to speak of your arrangements!"

The man seems not to understand and him and another turn to speak together.

:: Listening from the increasingly claustrophobic confines of the ship's Sickbay, Jack hears the curiously metered report of the Watch Dog's main guns. And no hint of retaliation from our foe? He sits up as best he can, struggling to understand what his ears are telling him ::

The Captain would never take us into action against a land target, manned as we are... And I can't imagine a ship's master to be such a slack-jawed idiot as to allow himself to be picked apart at liesure... What the bloody hell is going on up there?

:: Growing ever restless and impatient, Jack yells out to anyone who might be within earshot of the Infirmary ::

Halloo!! Oi! Anyone! What's happening topside?!

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

with a scurry I drops down into the long boat as departure was only momentarily held back by my simple change though under me robes I am with two pistols one in each boot and two long knives and one short. With any luck at all I shall share the almighty's word and give many lost souls mayhaps a bit of.....devine direction?

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

Despite a strong will and a determination to remain standing, William is eventually forced to take to the chair on the quarterdeck. He settles into it as carefully as he can and a fine sweat breaks out on his forehead.

"I can't tell you how glad I am that our first prize is as crippled as I am, Mister Lasseter."

William watches the Samson's progress across the water with the Monsignor sitting near the bow presenting the personification of piety and peace. William wonders how many weapons lie underneath that plain cloth.

Covering the waters surface is this black dust appearing as if dry somehow though wet through and through it floats attaching to the sides of the longboat and soot is falling out of the sky atop us as we slow in to the merchantman. Three ropes from above come down at once and the crew ties off. Two of those above are already gone from sight only the one in the middle remains looking down at us over the thoroughly distroyed railing. Fire is all consuming and involves every aspect of wood it's most favorite food. The main deck was eaten away and down into the gun deckin many places and in one place even below the gun deck as if the outer shell of this once great sailing vessel was peeled back and a view was offered both out and in. Three men scurried up the ties and onto the main deck and four went straight into the hull through a new fire made window. I remained on the long boat waiting for the ladder. While looking up watching the last of my accompaniment go over and onto the main deck a man in an appearant officers cap then two then three all came to what remained of the rail and looked down making jestures so as to get me up and so up I went It became most frenzyed effort as I was to understand they were asking me to assist with last rites and off I went below and down into a surgeons theater following at a brisk pace smoke was choking hidden men coughing almost seemingly everywhere. I when standing there saw an officer of the ship stretched out lying here before me though his eyes were very calm he veiwed me as if with gratitude. Seeing him I knew he was the captain of this ship two men on adjoining beds were already covered in white and seemed to be already dead. Of all the other sailors on this ship I'd seen so far not one had this mans passion. I looked into his eyes a long time his spoke volumes to me. I made the sign of the cross and began my last rites and as I recited he grasped my arm so tenderly and tugged taking me away from my duties and he said "save my men father" and just as bizarre as being there administering last rites to an enemy I was. He died! Gone. I made the sign of the cross turned and noticed for the first time the room was entirely filled with crew many sobbing and all with teared eye. I was taken aback. Touched for the very first time. I turned to depart and many came rushing into me trying to get to touch their great and good captain one last time. I asked aloud, who here speaks English?

One man came forward I said are you an officer? He said no enlisted navy (I was taken by that immediately feared that this is a hornets nest of the highly trained dutch republics Navy ships) he added (and it certainly eased my accord) fifty one of us were being transported on this ship to our colony in South America, Guinnea. Oh I said! Looking back to the now deceased captain I surmised that this was the Navy captain and not the ships captain! Can you take me to the ships captain? he agreed and I followed.

The Monsignor was gone below decks for some time. It was difficult not to worry, now that the barge and her crew were in the line of cannon fire if anything should go wrong over the next hour.

Still, William couldn't imagine the Danzig crew taking hostages while the Watch Dog was just off her starboard bow. The recent demonstration of prowess from the gunnery crew had been impressive. Not one, but several hits at a narrow target was enough to make anyone think twice about a double cross.

Smolders were all that I could see and no fires were even aglow below but much of the waterline on the side I was on was heavily damaged and would not make it through a storm (50 navy marines on this ship it boggles meas to how in Gods name did we not get fired on?) We made the fore castle and with three around him, a man I hadn't seen yet stepped away from them and right at me. Taking off his hat and in a semi bow I offered my hand as it should be and it was taken. He told me his name was Captain Scully ( i wandered is that short for something?) and he added that he had already had his valuable cargo offloaded onto the longboats and as he was involved in telling me this I sees that the three that had just previously surrounded his council noticed our barge already tying up the three of his long boats. They interupted our conversation to show their captain what was happening and he turned fast to me and said, what is this? Captain I answered calmly, what would you do to save these? We are with the needed capacity to help you out of these most un forgiving events. Take my long boat you your staff here go (I looked up pointing to the Watch Dog) Go see for yourself if we cannae give your men and cargo a chance to exist and in the means mayhaps we together can repair your ship up in the shallows. Here now let us get a move on as this day is long but here the weather changes in a heartbeat. Let me guide you to my launch. He turnde to his confidants. They were heated in descript, I sensed rising temperatures and backed away so as to be not confronting. It must have worked moments after I turned my back to them all but one, the Ships master, were to return to the Watch Dog. We boarded them and six of my crew returned with them I along with three others stayed on board to assist with varied this and that. Mostly I wanted my eye on the one in charge. I had Willie and Tito go below and see what if any cannons were ready to fire on us while I asked questions of the likes of the ships master. I asked if they would like a service where I could get my eyes on all of them marines and crew and he bought it. I called it a vigil, the days prayers of ships safety and rework.

(watching from above, Ciaran is distracted for a brief second. 'Could have sworn I heard Jack's voice from down below'. Ciaran shakes his head and continues watching the events at the merchantman.)

I wonder if one of the most important steps on our journey is the one in which we throw away the map.

-- Loreena McKennitt

My fathers knew of wind and tide, and my blood is maritime.

-- Stan Rogers

I don't pretend to be captain weird.

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

The second time Jack began yelling from below, William turned to his steward.

"Miss Smith, will you please go down to the ward and tell Jack or the Doctor to keep a silent surgery. I cannot have a man screaming from the lower decks while I negotiate the passage of an unguessed number of Dutch sailors. I would hate to shoot the Master-at-Arms, but he cannot be yelling while we have so much hanging in the balance."

. . .

Tempest came over to Jack and threatened to restrain and gag him him if he didn't stop this nonsense of working himself into a fit.

The Captain's Steward arrived then and was armed with more weapons than was common for her. She walked over to Jack and said, "I am instructed by the Captain to ask you to keep silent. There are...many important deceptions playing out over your head.

Miss Smith paused before brandishing a pistol. She held it in an unpracticed way and she turned to leave twice before she continued to speak.

"I believe the Captain meant for me to threaten you as well, but I am not very good at threats. He did say something about shooting you if you won't keep quiet. I cannot be sure if he was exaggerating, so please don't make me come back here."

Tempest almost said something. Then she almost laughed, but the steward's face was so serious, that she chose to say nothing.

*Holding the barge under the counter of the Dutchman, Jim felt not at all comfortable… to himself he muttered, “I’ll be hopin’ tha Mister Youngblood ‘as got ‘is gun crew under control. Otherwise I may be in need o’ a new hat, an’ a ‘ead ta be puttin’ under it.”*

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

:: Jack smiles disarmingly at Miss Smith, and cocks his head to the side ::

Now, was that so all-fired difficult, keeping a senior officer informed? Please send my compliments to our good Captain, and my apologies for making such a fuss. The gravity of our situation is now :: half-heartedly pulling at his restraints :: inescapably clear, and ye'll not hear another peep out of me.

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

“Alright lads, give an ear…we be ‘ere on a peaceful mission, but it could all go up in smoke a’ any moment. The trick ‘ere is ta be lookin’ relaxed an’ unawares should any o’ them Dutchmen look o’er tha rail. You men on the oars, back ‘em an’ be ready ta pull under the stern, out o’ the way o’ Mister Youngblood. Ye men wi’ the muskets, lay ‘em easy, but keep a’ hand ta yer cocks…”

*A ripple of laughter breaks the tension…Jim smiles a wicked grin…*

“Ye ruddy bastards, is tha’ all ye be thinkin’ abou’ at a time like this? You…an, you. ‘Ave yer knives at hand ta be cuttin’ the lines at my command, or if ye be hearin’ any gunfire. Now relax an’ enjoy the night air, an’ if you an’….you see the gunports on the ‘Dog open, give a call.”

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

::  Jack smiles disarmingly at Miss Smith, and cocks his head to the side ::

Now, was that so all-fired difficult, keeping a senior officer informed?  Please send my compliments to our good Captain, and my apologies for making such a fuss.  The gravity of our situation is now :: half-heartedly pulling at his restraints :: inescapably clear, and ye'll not hear another peep out of me.

Miss Smith seemed at once relieved and alarmingly abscent. She had a worried expression, but didn't seem to be looking at either Tempest or the Master -at-Arms.

"Thank you." was all she managed before turning away and returning to the quarterdeck.

The Captain was looking a little pale at the effort of being upright for so long. His face was calm, but each time he moved and each time he talked she could make out the pain he wasn't completely hiding. For all she knew, he might be bleeding underneath that jacket he was wearing to hide the bulk of his bandages.

Still, she understood why he had to be here. It was plain to see that a captain, even a wounded one, has a way of steadying a situation fraught with tension, but she was more concerned with the tension that might wear him down before the day was over.

She brought him a dipper from the bucket by the wheel.

He looked up from his thoughts and smiled a smile that was both grateful and reassuring, but also mortal. "Thank you, Miss Smith."

::As Van Buren headed below, I once again called to Mr. Youngblood::

Mr. Youngblood sah, a word please . . .

::I see him making his way back upon the Quarterdeck . . . .::

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

Not too long after the Monsignor left the Samson, the barge crew was able to hear his return. There were many voices above them on the weather decks. Only Dutch at first, but this turned to some English with the return of the Monsignor. Mister Warren and the others could tell that some of the conversation was heated, the Monsignor's voice being the only gentle and reassuring voice in the lot.

Shortly after this, several Dutch officers of the Danzig were assisted over the side and into the waiting barge. Tucker was surprised and he shot a questioning glance towards Mister Warren who returned only a practiced face of calm. It was Mister Warren's 'Steady On, Lads' expression.

The barge crew made room for the officer's, careful to not place any of them near the hidden arms stowed in the Samson. The officers of the Danzig were quiet, but they did exchange a limited amount of comments in their native tongue. If they noticed the bundled muskets stowed beneath the seats of the Samson, they showed no sign of it.

The leader of this bedraggled group was bearing an angry burn across his left jaw and neck. He was missing some hair here, but seemed to pay the sting no mind. All of them were dirty and covered in patches of soot and even some blood.

The barge pushed off and was soon rowing gently back towards the Watch Dog.