Pyrates of the West Coast

Nay, Mr. Youngblood, jest give 'em a look-see... keep 'em as they be... 'sept Jeanie an' Havoc, load 'em wi' grape too...

::the QuarterMaster peers through his glass at the ship, every moment getting closer...::

Hmmm.... th' crew be so busy tryin' ta put out th' flames... naught a lad has seen us...

Lessee.... One, two, three, four, five...........six? Six gunports an 'er side... no'bad fer a merchant... no'goode enough either...

Aye quartermaster.

*turns to his gun crews.*

Alright men Lets get those swivels loaded wit da grape shot, as well as Jeanie an Havoc! An stand by at the ready! No rest fer da wicked men!

*walks the gun deck watching the crews ready there guns.*

Petee-2.jpg

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With impatience from my desk I was scowling ?Forgotten? I am of untrusted folly in this grave and wonderful event. I should bring about a simple warring prayer of encouragement asking the lord to be with us during his work!

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

//He looks about the Sickbay, and sees the Surgeon at her writing desk. Although still weak from his recent fever and infection, he carefully swallows, then inhales deeply before attempting to speak ::

Dr. Fitzgerald? We are under way, aren't we? When might I return to my post? //

The Surgeon looked up from her entries and over the rim of spectacle to center on the query with a raise of brow. Tempest considered what was poised then left the desk's company to gain the Master at Arm's side. Pursing lip for a brief, the deep green of visual pool studied his face for a passing of silent minute before making thoughts known.

"Are we not the eager gent, sir. I could very well turn you loose unto the world but, doubt you would do well without the suturing of gape that graces your lower appendage..."

She paused in verbose, mind ticking away in some other reality, then returned to the current.

" To answer your questions as presented...Yes, it is apparent that we are moving, though as to the where or why...I have no answer. Your injuries are healing nicely, and it is in my highest intent to apply the needed sutures afore the next turn of four and twenty hours. You will then be placed in a splint and turned loose of the Ward if that should so be your desire. I do not wish to begin this mentioned procedure until I am sure of the intent regarding our movement from mooring."

Tempest studied the man before her with a certain reptilian lack of mind's pattern in reference to outer expression.

"Upon your release, you will be unable to go about as though nothing has occured for a period of days and at that, you will have to rely upon some manner of support to your body wieght to become mobile. No heavy exertion shall be made, though I am sure that you will soon realize that exertion enough will be had just getting to and fro..."

Reaching forward, she unbound three of the straps holding him prone, leaving the one across his waist in place...

"Four and twenty hours, sir..." She started to turn away then paused to glance over shoulder. " I advise that you take no undue advantage in the romoval of binding. It would be of ill outcome to stray from where you are currently perched."

With a nod to puctuate statement, Tempest moved away to the Cook's proximity. Releasing the straps that imobilized her freedom, she spoke...

" You are free to go..."

Returning to the desk, the Surgeon watched in peripheral as Christine removed herself stiffly from former position. There was a play of uncertainty that crossed the Cook's expression with the lack of instruction offered. Hesitantly at first, Christine's feet touched the planking below and after a moment of puzzlement, she quietly left the Ward's hospitality for the slings and arrows of the outer world.

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

Hearing the Master Gunner's call to arms, Johnson leaps into position behind "Yer Maker", the gunner's trusty swivel. Loading the barrel with grape shot, Johnson readies the twin locks and keeps a weather-eye over deck. Turning toward Mister Petee, Johnson sounds off " Ready when ye are sir ! ". Salivating at the mouth, Cut-throat steadily awaits his prey........

*Christine makes her way slowly towards her own quarters. She felt she had been in a fog all this time. The weak feeling has passed, but she feels completely out of the loop. Not sure what she should do. She ignores all the commotion going on above her and opens the door to her cabin. The silence inside is welcoming, she moves to sit on the bed and stares out the porthole to watch the sea......a tear rolls silently down her pale cheek....*

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

The Watch Dog was still at some distance when the details of the Dutch Merchant ship began to come into view.

The missenmast was in ruins. A prevailing wind had carried fire from amidships into the sails and rigging, and the failing lines and weakened wood had caused the missenmast to shatter a third of the way up from the weather decks.

The mainmast was a smoldering beam of embers and swinging lines of burning hemp. The shrouds were all but gone and swayed like charred cobwebs. The stays between the mainmast and foremast were even now beginning to separate under the fires and the support of both masts would be gone soon. If the wind shifted to the west, both masts might go.

Men were scrambling to get supplies into the waiting boats already lowered to the water. They were dropping bags an barrels so carelessly overboard that every time they toppled a cask over the side it threatened to damage the smaller boats below.

No lookouts remained aloft. The chaos was a perfect. The Watch Dog began closing the distance in the dark towards its illuminated target. Everyone aboard the Watch Dog was growing quieter with each league gained.

Mister Lasseter sent a single sailor among the crew to whisper the bell rather than sound it.

By first watch they'd come upon the Dutch unaware of this encroaching threat. This silent, deadly seadog.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

**After preparing 'Blackwood' with shot, Mr. Lasseter pulls me aside and whispers to me to go amongst the crew and sound a most silent bell**

Aye, Mr Lasseter.

**As I make my way amongst this most hungry crew, I smell the hunger that only few have known and most lament.**

On Master Gunner's command, unleash hell mates . . .

**Odd. (I thinks to meself)

What is this fine mist enveloping us? And the temperature has dropped as well . . .**

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

::as the Watch Dog gets closer still, the QM steps over to the Bo'Sun and whispers...::

Aye Lad, I'll be headin' ta th' Armoury, handin' out arms... e'eryone ta have a cutlass an' pistol, boat crew ta have muskets as well...

:: he turns and heads below, grabbing Nigel on the way to help him disperse the arms... ::

Gonna be interestin'... they han't seen us as yet... seein' as they be tryin' ta save themse'fs, we may not e'en need ta fire off no more n' one, two shots.... jest ta get their attention.....

::Once the crew were armed, the QM finds Mr. Warren::

Lad, get th' Barge set ta be lowered, very quietly.... I may 'ave ye head off an' cut out their boats as they be loadin' 'em... I sees earlier they gots a cutter tha' looks ta be in fine shape... least it do at this distance...

Off ye go Lad, Quietly.....

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

:: Jack smiles at the Doctor as he takes comfort in her assurances. He relaxes as the restraints are removed ::

Thank you, Doctor. I promise to behave myself.

:: He listens intently to the sounds and voices of the ship and her crew, and he longs to be on the hunt with them ::

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

The quiet before the storm.

"Alls well that ends well" I've been hearing my whole life but "alls hell that begins there" is one left out of childrens books. The mental preparation for a battle goes deep within ones own soul and announces to their senses the fact that every moment, every breath, every job well done and then some is simply the preparations for this upcoming moment of proportion. Battle! A test of will and power and always preparation. I know that the Watch Dog is prepared and I know the will of this crew but together almighty one together give them the power to serve your word and safely find success today. In your name I pray. Amen

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

ANOUNCEMENT

We have reached a dividing road in the story of the Watch Dog. The crew seems divided into two camps.

The first group believes that the intent of the Watch Dog should be grounded in historical fiction. This group wants the thread to be historically accurate and geared towards reenactment. Realistic situations based on maritime history, accurate portrayal of weather and combat, and historic treatment of injuries, duties and the average day to day.

The second group leans towards supernatural events and unexplained events. This group would like to have an historical fantasy setting involving such story tools as curses, otherworldly enemies, and the use of fantastic or movie based themes In other words, a historical fantasy played out like Pirates of the Caribbean. More movie. Less history.

We have to decide now which direction we want to go. We need to choose one side or the other. A middle road would leave the story open to too much personal interpretation and we'd have the same division again.

Please carefully consider your choice and PM me with your decision. I will tally the votes before continuing the story.

Historical Fiction or Historical Fantasy?

Actually, I was thinking more of The Fog, as in the movie. Something unsettling in the fog, not necessarilary ghost pirates tho. Just spicing things up here and there, tis all. But to those that want this stop I'll just keep my character in the kitchen and do nothing more.

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

Historical Fiction is being voted in by a landslide. All votes are not in yet, but for the present we shall play this as though it is the watchword of the Watch Dog. Guidelines may be posted at a later time, but for now, let us continue...

The strange silence from above tells a very familiar story. The cries from the Dutch ship can be heard carrying across the water.

The Captain sends for Mister Lasseter, Mister Warren and the Monsignor.

The Captain sends for Mister Lasseter, Mister Warren and the Monsignor.

:: The QuarterMaster nods to the lad, then looks to Mr Badger.. ::

Aye, gonna be back wi' orders no doubt.... we most likely gonna bring 'r starb'd side ta bare... hold fast on tha'... Cap'n may decide somat different...

:: He then heads below to the captains quarters for what awaits...::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

A knock upon me door I rise from my studies dressed in my thursday worst and my first and extremely old robes. Opening the door I see Ms Tudor Smith (out of breath) and says the captain seeks yer company monsignor! smiles, curtsies, and runs off! I turn look back walk out and close the door as I make haste to the Captains quarters.

Knock knock Captain! I says Monsignor de la Vega sir!

**As I stand behind 'Blackwood' there is a flurry of activity with the Captain and Mr. Lasseter. Ne'er in my years of piratin' had I seen a crew move so silently about a ship. The seaman accompaning my gun, a Dutchman by the name of Van Buren, looks tentatively across the water to the Dutch ship.**

Look familiar to ye, Mr. Van Buren? (I whisper).

**He puts his head down and stares into the blue below. I look at him quizzically and remember to speak to Mr. Lasseter.**

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

William waits for the quartemaster, coxswain and clergyman to arrive before speaking. Once all are standing before the table, William lifts himself until he stands over the charts.

"Please bring us upon her stern at an angle sufficient to prevent either her stern chasers or starboard cannons from making kindling of us."

Mister Lasseter explains that this is already the relative postion of the Watch Dog in relation to the Dutch ship. William nods, smiling.

"Excellent. While we continue this approach, let us slow our speed sufficiently to quiet our arrival.

Then lower the barge on our opposite side, to prevent the Dutchman from seeing the boarders. I want you to drag the barge behind us by a line, so that the Dutchman is prevented from seeing it until the last possible moment. If they should become alarmed, we will already have our boarders in the water and traveling at a good speed. Should the need arise, they can cut away from us and row directly away from our stern and come up to flank the Dutchman or shoot at those men in their cutter, so that it does not escape.

Have the barge crew take sufficient chains to bind up any restless guests.

Then, have the grapeshot ready, but more importantly, have our best marksman aloft. If necessary, take out anyone in uniform, especially any marines they might have, then we can take prisoners, guests or new crew members at our leisure.

It is true that we could fire upon her now, but that might spoil all that could be gained. We have many opportunities here gentleman, but with many of us injured from before, let us not take risks. Besides, I want to see how well the crew can handle the subtlety of capturing a ship with prisoners. I'm quite convinced we have the strength to sink her, but I want as much of her as possible."

William smiles a little before continuing.

"We shall...negotiate...with these poor sailors for a substantial fee. And when I say substantial, I do mean to take from her a great and terrible reward.

We need that cutter intact. Well, perhaps "need" isn't the right word. I WANT the cutter and I mean to have it. It pained me greatly to give the last one back to the French, despite the necessity of it at the time.

Also, we need more men. Bring me what officers you may.

If they refuse our...assistance...then insist upon it. They are in no position to negotiate. they will be our guests or prisoners. If they resist, subdue them, but leave as many as surrender alive. We may learn much about their current state of shipping in these parts.

Above all else, do this all in silence. I want silence."

William pauses to find just the right words to emphasize this important order.

"If any man raises alarm or cries out before I have sounded the order to board or assist this ship, I will remove his tongue myself with a broken bottle as my instrument of extrusion.

Any questions, gentlemen?"

:: The QuarterMaster, smiles a tight-lipped smile, breathes in through his nose, then out.... ::

Aye Aye, Cap'n...

::turns to the others::

Well, Lads... ye heard th' Cap'n... Lessee wot we c'n have... no, take...

::he turns back to the Captain, knuckles his forehead, then heads out and up on deck.... he walks quickly and quietly through the crew, whispering the orders from the captain, some men head aloft to shorten sail or take aim at officers, others to sway out the barge, some stay still, watching the burning ship, hands on their weapons... Finally Mr. Lasseter heads back up to the quarterdeck...::

*whispers* Aye Mr. Badger... Cap'n hopin' we c'n take 'em full by surprize... We gonna get tha' cutter at all costs... an' much, much more... Gonna 'ave more crew 'r some prisoners... mebee both....

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif