Pyrates of the West Coast

William sank into the dark with the anchor chain wrapped about his neck. He was sinking upside down and dropping to depths that began to press about him until the little bit of air he struggled with went out from him. The rope strangled him as much as the constricting water and he thrashed against the forces which combined now to kill him.

Then he woke.

A burning, torn pain cut into his consciousness. His chest felt alive with pin pricks and hot pain. He was made to confront the pain so suddenly that he balled up his fists until his forearms ached. Then the initial surprise of his recent injury and surgery subsided. He managed to just keep back the outcry that almost passed his lips.

Somewhere, above in the dark, a bell rang the hour.

"Fugit hora..." he whispered to no one as he slipped once more into dreams of treachery.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpg

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Martinique

The Chateau de la Argente' Lune sat poised in echoed conjecture to her sister on Desirade. A crowning jewel reflecting the wealth gained from wise business moves within the realm of merchant shipping ventures and management of cane plantations. The Mistress of the house lived in great decadence, which was afforded to her by the profit shared from her departed husband's partnership with the family Laurent to the North. Peruvian marble floors, furnishing of rich mohagany, crystal from distant shores and the certain attention of Martinique's governor guarenteed her indulgences beyond limit....and idulgences were something that she had a very healthy appetite for.

From the depth of soft feather mattress, she let her mind wander and could not suppress the mischievous smile in knowing that the Governor had certain weaknesses that allowed her to play him as a fiddle to her whims and desire...Much to the oblivious knowledge of said Governor's wife. A distant knock sounded from the main doors below, breaking her current amusement of mental state. listening closely, she heard the expected sound of footstep sounding to the second floor landing followed by the cautious rap upon chamber door. She sat up against the pile of pillow...

"Oui?"

"Madame Doumerc? Pardon, s'il vous plait...." The voice said with hesitation.

"Oui?"

"Madame...Capitaine Fournier is waiting your audience in the drawing room. Shall I inform him that you wish to visit with him or that he should return at another time?"

The vixenish smile played her features as a new set of thoughts appeared in her mind.

"Marie...Please tell the Capitaine that I shall be down very shortly...do offer him refreshment...I am sure that he is weary from his travels..."

"Oui, Madame."

The footsteps retreated and Marguerite Doumerc left the deep feathered comfort to adorn herself in something guaranteed to obtain proper reaction or ....salute, as it were.

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

June 21, 1704 - Aboard the Watch Dog

Between seven and eight bells of Middle Watch

The middle watch was almost over aboard the Watch Dog when William finally woke completely.

The early light of dawn would come soon and with it a new day. This would be the first day of his life. This would be the day that all the rest were marked by from now on. This was the first day of the new calendar.

William tried three times to speak and three times he failed. Then he mustered enough strength for a single order.

"...de la Vega ..."

There was a heaviness to the air and with the exception of ship bell chime and haunting creak of wooden hull, all lay still. The Gascon sat against the interior side of the door on a makeshift palet, armements well within reach. Two lanterns turned low, gave an effort of yellowed light to the dim surround and Surgeon fought for wakefullness, heavy text balanced percariously on knee and showing want to slide onto the plank flooring below.

A rasp of voicing stirred the air, a rasp that brought the spectacled eyes to wide sudden start and aided in the text's wanting destination with loud thump of triumph. A thump stirring the Frenchman to acute awareness and sudden crouch. Standing with rapidity, Tempest looked into the Captain's half lidded eyes and nodded her acknowledgement to his request. With a half glance over shoulder, she relayed to Armand dispatch. Recentering to the man before her, she quietly spoke.

"Much Joy to you, my dear...So good to have you back with us..."

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

During the routine of the morning watch, Jonathan Hawks joins me on deck as we continue inspection of the ship by dawn's break. :huh: The monsignor catches me eye and motions for us to join him near the bow of the ship. We move towards him just as the assistant to ship's surgeon, Armand scurries past us and speaks excitedly to the Padre. We could hear no conversation, but were keenly aware of its importance. Immediately, the two of them make their way below deck. Mr Hawks and I resume our duties and begin discussing the ideas we have for a possible new piece of tooling.

Aye! Good morrow Mr. Hawks and Rummy! (leans in so as to not force his voice to loudly) Armand tells me the Captain has awakended and he has asked for me I am headed below and will let all know of this glourious days Beginnings shortly. (turns and dropped below Aramnd in tow and almost as if on wing. Turns back to Rummy and Hawks) anon.

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

21 June, 1704

6 bells 0700

::after checking in on the Captain in th wee hours of the mid watch, the QM had spent what seemed a short time in the captain's quarters, looking over some charts, some of his notes, and the writings of the captain... He had'nt heard word that the Master gunner had gotten to the quarterdeck by the strike of 6 bells of the morning watch... He made his way up on deck, up onto the quarterdeck... ::

Thankee Mr. Badger, ye may head below fer some victuals.. ye 'ave till 8 bells an' I may need ye back on deck...

::The QM nods to the Bo'sun as he heads below... Mr. Lasseter looks about the ship, noting the direction and fullnes of the morning breeze, seing the activity of the crew... As his eyes return to the deck, he sees Armand heading below, with the Monsignor in the lead...::

*quietly* Hmmm... very interestin'... I prey tis a goode reason Armand 'as th' Monsignor goin' below... I's sure word will be passed soon enough as to wot th' nature is...

Cap'ns Steward Smith!!!

Pass th' Word fer all the officers ta report where we stand fer repairs an' wot-not!

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

in the corridor and at a fairly brisk pace I turn to Aramnd) when was this glourious occasion? When the captain did come back to us? Aramnd says only moments ago monsignor. The doctor is attending him presently. He shows new color. (blessed in this information a smile of most magnificent size is now painting my face with a much needed bit of relaxation) We scurry down to the next deck below the guns and arrive in short time Armand knocks lightly andopens the door, sticks his head in and motions from behind his back for me to follow and we enter. I see nothing through my tears except the captains eyes are open and he looks bright. Having trouble is his speaking I awate)

"Why did you relieve me of command, de la Vega?" (he says) I am without answer! Sir this was when? I say! You lie here sir and during the times of your renewed life and as your lirberties begin again anew. I am perplexed that your dream time is fully without warrant sir as I have no command Not even that of the weather sir!

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

William couldn't bring himself to say anything for a very long time, when the monsignor entered the cabin. He just lay there unable to speak, not because he was injured, thought it added to his hesitation, but because the injury to him as captain went so much deeper. He found he couldn't look at Diego, not directly. He found that the longer he waited to respond, the less he wanted to speak at all. And in that silence that remained between Diego's inquires and William response, bells of the progressing morning watch rang.

Then William looked directly at Diego and asked him one single question.

"Why did you relieve me of command, de la Vega?"

Aye, Mr. Youngblood.... I need ta know wot went on aboard while I was ashore...

Full details... everythin'....

What orders were given by an' by whom...

Be forthright please...

::the QM stands and waits for the Master gunner to report, quill in hand, ready to write...::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

(from up in the nest, Ciaran watches the goings and comings of the crew, noting an excitement about Armand and Diego)

Hmmm, me thinks this could be a good sign about our Captain.

I wonder if one of the most important steps on our journey is the one in which we throw away the map.

-- Loreena McKennitt

My fathers knew of wind and tide, and my blood is maritime.

-- Stan Rogers

I don't pretend to be captain weird.

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

Well, quartermaster sir, This how I remember it.

Diego calls, Sail Ho, when he spots that merchantmen. So I call my gunners to their quarters, we didn't load um or run em out. Jus wanted um there in case the need arose. Then swan spots another ship on the horizon, and this other ship goes after the merchantman. Some time I know I hears jack call his barge crew ta quarters as well. Well the Cap'n comes out an says, who gave the orders ta beat ta quarters. I explains ta him that I called me gunners ta their guns ta make ready ifin the need should come about, but that was it. Well the other ship comes up on the merchantman an some cannon fire was exchanged, though ya could hear no damge bein done. At this time a small little storm starts ta kick up and the other ship, I forget her name, it was Dark somthing, anyway she starts ta head our way. You could start ta smell something awfull at that time, my guess it be a plagued ship. She was coming fast being pushed by that storm. Well at this time the Cap'n calls fer all hands in the rigging, I must admit there was a bit of a misunderstanding on my part about that order. *laughs*

Any way the crew goes in the rigging and lets loose the sail. Well by this time shes comeing down on us and starts ta fire. I swing down from the rigging and start yelling at my crew da type o charge and elevation and ta run em out and then ta fire. Well on me way ta me gun I exchange some small arms fire. After the first broadside, i give orders ta keep up da shootin an ta switch ta grape shot. Well I exchange some more small arms fire. Thats when I notice somethin comes flying by me leg, I looks an see its a cutlass, then I looks ta see where it comes from an thas when I sees the Capn fall. So I runs to him an hoists him up ta get him out o harms way. With all the splinters an lead flying round it woulda been worse ta leave him.

Petee-2.jpg

Captain! Is this question one from dream or something where I could have stepped into such a place as no boundaries are fergiven? I am without recall of this nature sir? Am I accused of treason in your first breath?

"Was I dreaming then when you countermanded my orders to set sails? As the owner of this ship, you, and only you, can remove me as captain. Is that what you meant to do, de la Vega, when you countermanded my orders?"

William stopped to gather his strength again. Speaking was not impossible, but the emotion driving this conversation to it's unknown end was wearing him out. He plowed on toward that end.

"When this ship was threatened, I ordered the men aloft. We were all sitting in harm's way. The ship was at rest, unmoving, and I sent the men aloft to give this ship and this crew a chance to maneuver. Then you relieved me of command. You countermanded my order and sent the crew back to the gun deck.

It can only mean one of two things, de la Vega. Either your confidence in my command isn't strong enough to support me and your order was meant as a demotion before the crew or it was a mutiny."

William let the word mutiny hang in the air for a time.

"But...since it cannot be mutiny, as you are the owner of this ship..." William continued. "...then it must surely be a demotion. And the crew must support the action, for when you countermanded my orders, all of them went in haste to follow you as the Watch Dog went adrift."

I shall seek the accompanyment of the Master-at-Arms and have him take me to the brig sir. This should be addressed presently but I feel having not been on my mind in that what ye say is of such grave consequence that mayhaps a little solitude on my part should allow my mind to think back on such an action of no memory. I should liken to be in a cell as soon as possible sir, for if this is true then the results of which could certainly as ye say do harm to the integrity of this shis crew and you and they need not know who's money funds the Watch Dog Only that you sir are in charge I beg your leave sir?

"Beg my leave!? Beg my leave, sir?"

William tried twice to get up and failed, putting his arm out in the end to have Armand help him up. Armand almost refused, knowing the anger that appeared in Tempest's face for what it was. She did not want this patient of hers, captain or not, to be up and about, but up and about he came.

"How can you beg my leave when even I don't know if I am captain, still? You will give me an answer before you go, sir. You will give me an answer."

William winced from the pulling and screaming heat in his chest.

"I will not convalesce on this ship as an able seaman."

:: As Jack walks past the quarterdeck, he cannot help but overhear the conversation between the Quartermaster and Master Gunner. His memory is fired, and he scurries to the top of the stairs ::

Begging your pardon, Mr. Lasseter. Mr. Youngblood here is correct. I did in fact muster the barge crew to quarters and order them to arm themselves for boarding actions. Given the blow I took from the shattered barrel, I must have forgotten that part of the action until his words sparked my recollection. An unfortunate and purely unintentional oversight on my part, and I accept whatever punishment the Quartermaster deems appropriate, sir.

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

21 June 1704

1 bell Forenoon watch 0830

::as the Master gunner finishes his report, the Master at Arms approaches, remembering some actions he commited and divulging them to the QM::

A'right.... A'right... A moment Lads!

:: The QM flips a page or two in the logbook, adds a few notes, then flips back to where he was, adds some notes... ::

Mr. Youngblood... I thank ye fer yer report... I'll 'ave some questions later...

Mr. Jack..... Hmmm... I can't keep callin' ye tha'..... From now on... since ye seemed ta like th' name..... I gives ye th' name o' yer barge.... So ye be Jack Samson....

Mr. Samson.... Ye admit ta actin' wi'out orders... Well... yer correct in thinkin' yer ta be punished fer said insubordination.... but tha' punishment shall be decided not by me...

Both o' ye, back ta yer duties....

::The QM dismisses the pair, sending them off the quarterdeck....::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"Beg my leave!? Beg my leave, sir?"

William tried twice to get up and failed, putting his arm out in the end to have Armand help him up. Armand almost refused, knowing the anger that appeared in Tempest's face for what it was. She did not want this patient of hers, captain or not, to be up and about, but up and about he came.

"How can you beg my leave when even I don't know if I am captain, still? You will give me an answer before you go, sir. You will give me an answer."

William winced from the pulling and screaming heat in his chest.

"I will not convalesce on this ship as an able seaman."

Aye sir, I am without memory of this occurance and I would not nor would me wish be any other than your charge sir

YOU are the captain sir and anything less is unacceptable to me and I should liken to say the crew as well sir! You have addressed a part of one days events I had not thought back on. I will address in your pressence and I will ask only that in this endeavor your charge be that of the prone position sir

for ifin ye be jumpin up and ruptering yer stitches sir you are then of use zero to the crews direction sir!

William was shaking his head even before the monsignor finished. Sweat was building at his temple from the continuous effort of standing, but still he stood shaking his head.

"No, de la Vega. Not yet. Not before you understand, that if you make me captain then I will be captain. I will not be a puppet pontiff. I will not be governed. I will not be countermanded. I will not be usurped. I...will...protect...my...ship."

William paused only long enough for what he said to sink in.

"And...if you make me captain again, I will be sending someone off of this ship. In the interest of this crew and this ship, I will be sending someone away from the Watch Dog, never to return. So you have to decide now, who is leaving. Either I am captain and I have the authority to send off who I must send to protect our lives, or you send me away."

(i am standin in the infirmery and as the captain see the logic in being that of a patient with life than that of one without he sits adn waits my recolection of events) I must say as I remember sir. Captain the men were in the rigging. I had previously addressed you on deck with the thought of a rear attack sir not withstanding it was a believed threat. I climbed into one basket where I joined Ciaran And Swan in their own Sir. I recall the order near to that of all hands into the rigging! I asked that Ciaran watch the rear as I would join this effort and Swan watch the front sir! I was turning to watch as this ship from hell did bare down on us while turning back spending most of me time watching the rear shoreline and the reeds area where I knew I had seen proof of individules unknown leaving broken branches and too a trampled by foot path into the jungle. That not being an excuse Sir! I suddenly not only see the movment in the bush but numerous shaddows though the plants and address the attack as occuring. I truly captain do not remember exact wording other than monkeys hanging about and that a rear guard was needed to protect our flank. Upon which I being never without my brings 'em near in focus sees it's the Quartermaster and Armand coming through the brush head first.

I truly captain do not remeber exact wording toher than mokeys hanging about and that a rear guard was needed to prtect our flank. Upon which I being never without my brings 'em near in focus sees it's the Quartermaster and Armand coming through the brush head first.

"Then I will remind you..."

William pauses for a long time, not because he has forgotten, but because the monsignor has told him something else he did not know about the days events.

"Three of you went aloft as lookouts? I ordered two aloft, and three went up?"