Pyrates of the West Coast

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:: watching the people on the deck of the Xebec intently, the QM fights the urge to draw his glass to get a better look, he clasps his hands tightly behind his back hard, occasionally stealing glances back around the deck of his own ship, seeing the looks of question on the crews faces... a flurry of movement on the Xebecs deck, and he can no longer resist, his hand darts into his pocket, drawing and extending his glass in one movement, and up to his eye::

Hmm.... they's lowerin' a boat... and... Tempest! Ah lardy!!!!

*a deep inhale and slow exhale*

Me'thinks this be a goode sign...

::he continues to watch as the boat is manned and sets off, heading for the ship he stands upon::

Right...

Lads!!! prepare ta recieve 'r Surgeon aboard! Have a care!

Iffn' some o' th' crew o' th' boat there come aboard, extend 'r finest courtesy.... But, stay on yer guard.... Cap'n's still aboard o'er there....

Lively now, Lads!!!

::he goes back to peering at the ship, and the boat coming near, trying to see any reason to be worried, or to set off an alarm...::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Mister Lasseter sir my mistake. I see the captn' is not on aboard might I take the good padre the food he is asking for?

Oh... Aye Ms. Constance... no, Belay tha'!

Wait fer th' Surgeon.... might not be a goode idea ta feed 'im yet... more water fer now...

::nods::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

As Le Nymphe's launch nears the frigate, the coxswaine calls out to ship oars and the dwarfed boat comes along side. The coxswaine reaches to the Watchdog's girth to steady the smaller boat as one of the oarsman aid the Surgeon over to the steps leading up the gun'ale.

"Merci beaucoup, Monsieur Lefebure."

"Cela m'est egal, Mademoiselle"

The launch pushes away with her safely gaining the deck above. With a wave to her in deaprture, Coxswaine Lefebure calls to the oarsman to unship oars and pull back to Le Neymphe.

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

::As the Surgeon makes her way up the side of the ship, the QM reaches down to give her a hand...::

Welcome back aboard, Ms. Fitzgerald... Glad ta see ye...

::turns to the rest of the crew::

Stand down lads!!! Back ta work!!

:: turns back to the surgeon::

Come, Diego's bad... I's sure ye know by now... Anything I should know afore ye go to 'im? Wot's goin' on o'er there on tha' Xebec? Cap'n a'right??

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Sighting the Quartermaster, she smiles wearily*

Mister Lasseter...Good to be back, though a bit worse for the ware. So good to see you, as well. I have left Armand with the Captain and can assure you that all will be fine. As to the condition of the Padre, I need to know when it happened and how it was attended to, if you please.

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

::he smiles back at the surgeon::

Aye....

I believe Mr Cairan c'n tell ye all there is.. 'e was with 'im when it all 'appened...

Make way fer th' Surgeon!!!

::He watches as she makes her way to her domain....::

::Turning his attention back to the Xebec, he sights in his glass, taking in the whole ship, watching the crew aboard, still with an uneasy feeling....::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

* hearin the voices of Mister Lasster and the Sergon, Kendra Squeezes Monsingor's hand* I am going to take my leave of you sir. . unless ther be anything else you need? The doctor should be here shortly. she slips out as silent as a mouse and makes her way on deck. picking up the newly fished sail for the Samson and watching from the rail the soon return of the Captain.

Kendra2.jpg

"Courage is the decision to fly straight into the flame while knowing the consequences"~ The Adventures Of A Notorious Youth Capt. Hook

By: J. V. Hart

"A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving."~Lao Tzu 490-570 BC

---------

Yes, I am leaving the pub. I don't know when or if I will come back to this port. I will check in from time to time. Until then:

*raising goblet of good cheer*

" To high adventure, and wild romance....long may they endure!"

For I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content

Philippians 4:11

Twitter:

TwittKnitter

Facebook:

shanamartin1

after puttin' the lads back t' duties I makes me way t' Mr. Lasseters place o' standin'.........'iffn there be 'no panic' as regards the visiters we be 'avin' sah......the ropes an' tack be ready fer installin' t' the barge sah......permission t' carry on sah?'...

Cap'n o' the JADES RISC'S @ anchorage at the port o' Cardiff, Wales, Uk.

Piratesig1.jpg

William excepted all invitations graciously, moving to subjects other than the cutter as they made their way about the ship. Capitaine Moreau did the same, and like William, he was an avid player of practiced faces and subtle alterations. They danced around the subjects that both of them wished to address, each offering the other a chance to broach the subject. It was a chess match of masks and mirrors.

The longer it went, the more they seemed to enjoy the conversation.

Moreau was a man both of education and experience. William tested him with questions and plied him for details. Moreau was at once clear and vague, never surrendering any ground, but all the while he widened the playing field.

Swords could do and would do with most enemies, but the parries that played out now were far more graceful. Far more deadly.

At first, William thought that Armand might be oblivious to the interchange, but then he noticed that even Armand was in the fray. His estimation of Armand was very different before the conversation was over.

After a tour, that was both revealing and baffling, they retired to Moreau's cabin for refreshment. Here, the conversation changed its tack at once.

"Your cutter, Capitaine, she is French." Moreau stated in a most matter-of-fact tone.

"Aye." William returned, "She is of that make."

"She is does not belong to you, I think."

"She does and doesn't. Or rather, she is in my employ for the time being."

Moreau smiled at this and William smiled back. Here was a gentlemen's game. Here was a fool's game. Wars began in very little rooms like this.

"Was this your doing, Monsieur."

"It was the result of a request of mine. To say it was my doing would be overstepping the truth a bit." William returned smiling, careful to keep his tone neutral as he spoke.

"I cannot let you keep it." Moreau said as easily as one discusses a turn in the weather.

"You could call it a gift."

"I could call it theft, Monsieur."

"We might call this hospitality a kidnapping..." William began, pausing to let the word kidnapping hang in the air.

Armand was the only one not speaking, but his body language spoke volumes by comparison to William and Moreau. They sat, each holding a drink, and each measuring the other with words that revealed nothing.

"...but it isn't that. Is it, Capitaine?" William finished.

Both men remained quite for some time. Neither man moved. Their smiles seemed to lessen only a little. Armand looked as though he wished to speak, but he said nothing.

"The men and women in my charge are quick to act when offered the freedom of any duty. Sometimes this leads them to decisions born of flight and might, not of great thought. I asked some of my men to fetch me a cutter. I gave them purse for that purpose. Their enthusiasm, not to mention their thirst, outpaced their wits I think. Their too much want to please has led to misunderstanding."

William finished his short explanation. Moreau seemed to consider, but answered with a nod only. It was neither a yes or no.

William sipped his drink. Moreau smiled. The ship rocked at anchor.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

(hearin footsteps and voices descending the stairs into the Surgery, Ciaran turns from Diego to see -- were his eyes decieving him -- the Doctor!)

Mon dieu! C'est vous, enfin!

(Ciaran slides around to make room for Doctor Fitzgerald)

I wonder if one of the most important steps on our journey is the one in which we throw away the map.

-- Loreena McKennitt

My fathers knew of wind and tide, and my blood is maritime.

-- Stan Rogers

I don't pretend to be captain weird.

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

:: On the deck of the French xebec, Jack and Miss Smith trade nervous glances. Jack was trying to puzzle out this whole odd scenario in his head; "...a well-kept French vessel, obviously fit out as a man of war, falls in with us, but takes no action. Turns out they're a ferry for our Surgeon, so they must be friends, but their Captain and ours seem more like two snakes waiting for the chance to strike the other first. Not a friendly situation, at all. I've seen moneylenders with more trust in their eyes than this lot..." A knot of dread was beginning to form in the pit of his stomach, and he found himself longing for the familiar confines of the Watch Dog. ::

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

after puttin' the lads back t' duties I makes me way t' Mr. Lasseters place o' standin'.........'iffn there be 'no panic' as regards the visiters we be 'avin' sah......the ropes an' tack be ready fer installin' t' the barge sah......permission t' carry on sah?'...

Aye Bo'sun,

Carry on... finish up on th' barge....

Fine work.....

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

*he slow moves up the starirs to the quarter deck, so he can keep an eye on the ship and still give orders to the gunners.

Mr. Youngblood, make yer way back to yer station in th' waist... Iffn' I need ye on th' Quarterdack, I'll send fer ye...

::Turning back to the Xebec, he again looks through his glass, seeing the captains of both ships walking the deck, then heading below::

Bloody hell... The wait is worse'n a fight....

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

The silence remained for several minutes. The bell was struck above decks, signaling the hour.

"Too soon." William thought. "It is too soon. If I make a poor judgment now, the whole of the matter may fall apart. And for what? A cutter? I could ask this man to lie, but I think not. He doesn't look like a bribe would take. And then what? The frigate joins the xebec and they both come down upon me together and we go against them, crew untested. No. It is too soon for gambles. Too soon."

William placed his empty glass upon the table. His smile was the same, but like any card player worth his salt, he knew when to lay down and admit that the deck was stacked against him.

"You and I might do business, Capitaine." William began, "But I think it may not be to my advantage to do so at this time."

Moreau said nothing. Just a nod again. Just a single nod.

"Perhaps instead, you might take back my apologies to the owner of that fine cutter."

"I shall do so, Monsieur." Moreau said with a genuine smile, that bespoke no qualms. "Perhaps your men...these enthusiasts of yours...they were hasty to see your, Monsignor, and rushed to his side?"

William smiled then. It was a trade of understanding and he liked Moreau all the more for it. He was glad to not make an enemy of this man. It would be a waste for them to fire folly at one another.

"Merci, Capitaine Moreau. Your understanding in this matter is most welcome. I believe we shall...procure...our cutter elsewhere."

Moreau smiled. William smiled. Even Armand smiled, but the two captains were grinning that smile understood only by sharks and devils.

"We might never be friends," William thought, "But heaven help all about us if we are ever enemies."

William departed Captain's company and soon they were aboard the cutter, now crewed with extra men from the Nymphe to see them back to the Watch Dog. Capitaine Moreau saluted them as they went and William returned the gesture.

Nigel was quiet and seemed to glower at the French oarsmen. Tucker was indifferent. Miss Smith was as carefully composed as ever. Mad Jack looked at once relieved and disappointed.

"Good man." William thought. He smiled at Jack.

When they reached the ship, he released his small band to the galley for food and refreshment. He nodded to Mister Youngblood who was standing near several men who were doing their best not to look interested in the loaded cannons on the Watch Dog's larboard side. William was glad to see that they had prepared for all options.

"Mister Lasseter. You can have the men stand down there. Thank you for the precaution. Pass on my compliments to Mister Youngblood and Mister Badger."

William watched the Nymphe roll away with mixed regrets. Only then did William understand something that had never been said.

And only then was he worried by what he understood.

:: the buzz of work being done aboard the Watch Dog helps to make things seem normal, even though a type of stand off is taking place off the larboard quarter... As the QM stands, watching the the ship laying 300 yards out, waiting for some outward sign::

Blast an' hellfire....

::then he was rewarded... there was the captain! and.... Armand, the surgeon's man.... They boarded the cutter with some of the Xebec's crew and were away, heading for the Watch Dog ::

A'right Lads... steady... Th' Cap'n returnin'.... Master gunner... be ready, just incase...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"Mister Lasseter. You can have the men stand down there. Thank you for the precaution. Pass on my compliments to Mister Youngblood and Mister Badger."

Aye, Aye...

::turning to the waist of the ship::

A'right Lads, My compliments.... have yer ease...

Very well done Master Youngblood, Master Badger.....

:: Turning back to the Captain ::

Ah, Cap'n..... what news?

I 'spect we still be needin' a cutter?

An' wot does ye won't done wi' Mr. Warren n' Mr. Sons?

I still 'ave 'em in irons...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

*Sitting in the mess, still feeling the flush of good rum and the exhilaration of a fine adventure, Jim and Shipwreck sip without pleasure at the cold coffee.*

"Aye, Shipwreck me lad, I think perhaps we took the wrong cutter, or mayhaps delivered her at the wrong time. 'Tis a damn fine thing we didn'a injure anyone, at least not too serious-like.”

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

I shall speak with them, sir. Please accompany me.

William goes below to speak with Jim Warren and John Sons. Finding them both in chains, he has the shackles removed and he takes a seat opposite them in the galley.

"We have come into a tenative alliance. It is based on an understanding with the French. This understanding was almost undone by your choice of cutter. I appreciate your efforts, gentlemen, but as the situation stands, due to a comedy of errors and irony, we cannot keep the cutter."

William looks upset by more than this, but sticking to the subject he continues. "The French Captain has dropped any charges that could have been filed against you, and since I am not angry at your actions, you are released back to your duties."

"But first gentlemen, let me say this..." William smiles then. "You beautiful, damn, impetuous fools! Would that I had been there when you took that cutter!" William shakes his head. "What metal. What bravado! You'd both steal from the devil and I'd be the one to hold the gate for you."