Pyrates of the West Coast

:: Jack, still kicking Deliverance at every stride, thunders down the road to the Watch Dog. The doctor is holding on to Jack and his bag for dear life, his eyes screwed shut in terror at the nightmare ride he's being subjected to. Once they arrive at the sandy beachfront of the Watch Dog's landing, Jack leans back in the saddle and sharply says "Whoa!" Deliverance digs his hind legs into the sand and slides to a stop. Jack hops from the saddle and drags the trembling doctor off the horse's back. ::

Johnson! I believe this is the doctor good Diego is in need of! See that he makes it the rest of the way, good sir?

:: He thrusts the doctor at Johnson, and winks ::

He's a bit nervous. I'll leave it to you that he should feel welcome, eh?

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*Running up the beach, Jim sees Shipwreck and waves to him. Jim is out of breath but exultant…*

John! John! I be so glad tha’ I have found ye.

*Jim Gasps for breath…*

I be searchin’ fer a cutter up an’ down the coast, an’ I finally be speakin’ ta some Indians. They be tellin’ me about a cove north up the coast tha’ be havin’ a ship be layin’ thar. I goes wi’ ‘em up the coast an’ see a great French ship, ship o’ the line I tells ye, layin’ a’ anchor in a little bay. Now ‘eres the thing…they be layin up stores and water, longboats doin’ the ferryin’, but they got this ‘ere bluff cutter layin’ guard between the ship an’ the coast. She be a beauty she be, ten oars, lateen rig an’ two guns, one on the bow an’ one astern. Each night they be takin’ tha’ cutter ashore. Seems tha’ some officer on the ship ‘as got a hankerin’ fer the native girls. I stayed ta watch an’ they don’ post but two guards. The rest o’ the shore crew go inta’ tha Indian village an’ whore and drink till the officer be done wi ‘is business. Two guards. I tell ye tha’ ye and I can be takin’ this cutter.

*Jim’s eyes are alight with the prospect of plunder and taking a ship again…*

What say ye lad…are ye game?

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Only two you say? well then, It should be mighty eay under the cover of Darkness . The mon goes down around Midnight . should be dark enough to slips right up ther and make fishbaait out of em and then we can sail off with her..

~John grins at the prospect of such easy pickings~

Shipwreck

Adventurer of Independent Means

TALL SAILS AND MERMAIDS TAILS, THIS BE THE LIFE FOR ME

"THEM THAT DIE WILL BE THE LUCKY ONES"

bnnr2.jpg

grumble.....Lassiter..late fer duties....grumble........got riggin' t do!.....grumble.....peeps naught well.......freashest water ever.......grumble.....naught worth the effort......grumble.........now strange peeps at our door!!....grumble :huh:

Cap'n o' the JADES RISC'S @ anchorage at the port o' Cardiff, Wales, Uk.

Piratesig1.jpg

(Ciaran fell asleep sometime during the night, exhausted after spending the day watching over a gravely ill Diego. He is awakened this Sunday morning to the sound of Diego mumbling. Ciaran rises and goes to the monsignor's bed. Diego is still feverish and not awake. Ciaran hears whispered words, strange words from Diego, perhaps in Latin, words the pirate cannot understand, words of delirium, words from nightmares.

Ciaran simply wipes Diego's forehead with a damp cloth.)

Sleep monsignor. Fight off these demons that have poisoned yer body.

I wonder if one of the most important steps on our journey is the one in which we throw away the map.

-- Loreena McKennitt

My fathers knew of wind and tide, and my blood is maritime.

-- Stan Rogers

I don't pretend to be captain weird.

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

The easterly heavens were clothing themselves in the instense hues of salmon and stiking magentas as the xebec worn in closer to the nearing bay. La Nymphe moved with the grace a practiced dancer, her three lateen sails catching the palette of the skies in dulled reflection as she heeled to make the inlet. A piercing glint of high polished alloy winked as one of the six culverins was manuvered upon its swivel, charged and fired. The signal roared its announcement to the frigate, Chasse de Mer, riding gently at anchor further in. The xebec took in the triangular mass of canvas at her foremast to check speed, waiting patiently for the frigate's acknowledment to her presence.

From the frigate's waist, her Capitaine caught the vissage of the nearing vessel in the scope of his glass. He was familiar to her lines, La Nymphe was a regular visitor to Martinique's shores and privately owned by the family Laurent. Focusing closely upon the xebec's long line of poop deck, he recognized the figure of her captain, a man that he had shared many a bottle of Muscadet with in the past. With the Assurence of the approaching sail's identity, Capitaine Jean Micheale Fouenier collapsed the spyglass, barking orders to have return of the fired salute. En route to private quarters, he paused to the proximity of Lieutenant de Vaisseau Durand.

" I wish signals run up indicating invitation to where we lie. I have known Capitaine Moreau for many a year and wish him to be treated with respect upon his arrival. I am going below to make myself into a more respecable presentation. You will bring him to my quarters when he graces the deck."

The echo of the answering salute rolled over the watery distance as a bright display of colors broke out at Chasse de Mer's stern. Capitaine Moreau smiled, turning his focus from the frigate to the near standing passengers.

"Mademoiselle Bertrand, luck is with us today. I had heard that Capitaine Fournier was in these waters." A glimpse of mischievous knowing plays in the older Frenchman's eyes. " I have known Jean for a very long time and also know that he carries a certain preferance to this particular spot for the replenishing of stores before returning to the Chasse de Mer's home station in Martinique. I am very sure that he will oblige Monsieur Laurent's request of dispatch to Fort de France. I am also confident you will find his company a joy... always the most supurbe of Muscadets in private stores. Now, if you will please excuse me, I need to attend to some things before we secure anchorage."

The elder man begins to leave, but stops midstep with the notice of Armand who stands nearby.

"Mademoiselle Bertrand, I think it would be best if Monsieur D'esnambuc stay below and out of sight for this visitation. Capitaine Fournier is a good man...But, a man is bound to duty and being that our young friend is considered traitor, be it false though the accuisation may be, I would hate for any ill to come of his presence being known. It could prove poorly, you understand. I so not think Madame Laurent would look to favorably upon her nephew's seizure."

The Surgeon and Capitaine lock eyes in brief, a reflection of understanding crosses between without further explanation.

"Oui, Capitaine...I do believe that your advice is of sound foundation..."

Tempest had done well in covering reaction to the mentioned officer's name. She was intimately familiar with the name and the man that bore it. Looking across the closing of distance, she pondered the oddities of life and how ghosts of the past could appear half a world away...

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

The night had been a long one. A nervous and sallow wisp of a doctor had arrived from town, courtesy of Mad Jack and a flurry of hooves. Cut Throat had delivered him to the ship with due haste and then below to where the Monsignor lay in a fever reborn of poison.

The doctor's examination was a cursory one at best, falling back on medical arts that seemed unchanged for a hundred years. He was going for a thumb lancet for use in bleeding Diego when he stopped stock still.

William was holding his hand at arm's length across the table and the doctor was made keenly aware of the wicked curve of a boarding knife laid gently across his breast bone.

"No doctor," William whispered gently as he shook his head."We'll not be biting the Monsignor twice in one day."

If the doctor had not been pale before, he was now. His lips spread into a tremulous smile as he began to speak.

"He has a great need..."

But William, was still shaking his head. The doctor replaced the lancet in his bag and drew out a bottle of some elixir and a clean white cloth.

"Perrrrrhaps a compress...?"

William nodded. The doctor parroted the nod and went about his work.

Now it was morning. William awoke to Cairan's voice. He rose from a chair not meant for sleeping. Ciaran was mopping the brow of a mumbling Monsignor. William noted the sleeping surgeon, now curled up and hugging his bag childlike to his chest in the corner. The doctor had a thin and uneven snore.

Ciaran seemed to be listening to each word the Monsignor was saying, with or without understanding.

William began to translate...

"They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them. Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you."

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpg

:: After a sleepless night on deck, Jack has finished cleaning his pistol and examining his newly acquired firearm. At first light, he makes his way down the narrow companionway to Monsignor Diego's cabin. He stays in the shadows, not wishing to be seen by our newly-conscripted doctor. Diego is still feverish, muttering softly in his delerium words that only Ciaran, hovering at his bedside, can hear. Jack lingers long enough to catch the Captain's eye, and Jack, with a sideward nod of his head, asks to meet with the Captain in private. ::

Knowing that the Captain, a doctor and Cairan were all in Diego's cabin, she knocked softly on the door.

Beggin your pardon Cap'n, I have come to help out whar I can. I 'ave brought some more cool water for 'is fevered brow. I have come to relieve those that are in need of rest...namely you, Mr. Cairan..and afore enny protests can be made, I promise that I will send word post haste iffen thar is enny changes. 'ow can a ship be run iffen the crew is tired? Mr. Cairen I unnerstan' yer concerns, however we donna need you t' be gettin ill by wearin yerself down too. Watch o're the padre can be shared, ain't that right Cap'n?

Wot say you Cap'n?

Mad Woman Cheryl

By Odin's mighty spear, I hereby snap and go berzerk!!!"

Knowing that the Captain, a doctor and Cairan were all in Diego's cabin, she knocked softly on the door.

Beggin your pardon Cap'n, I have come to help out whar I can.  I 'ave brought some more cool water for 'is fevered brow.  I have come to relieve those that are in need of rest...namely you, Mr. Cairan..and afore enny protests can be made, I promise that I will send word post haste iffen thar is enny changes.  'ow can a ship be run iffen the crew is tired?  Mr. Cairen I unnerstan' yer concerns, however we donna need you t' be gettin ill by wearin yerself down too.  Watch o're the padre can be shared, ain't that right Cap'n?

Wot say you Cap'n?

William seemed not to hear Cheryl at first. Then turning with a nod and a smile he stepped into the companion way.

"Thank you, Cheryl. Forgive my slow response. I am quite tired. Would you stay with Ciaran while I speak with Jack here?

William rubs the bridge of his nose for a moment and seems to be in deep thought for a long while before addressing Mad Jack.

"Good, sir. I have not thanked you properly for your haste, and Mister Johnson's forethought. Please except the Monsignor's gratitude, as I'm sure he would extend it to you if he could."

(Ciaran looks up at Cheryl and back to Diego. He takes the pail of fresh water she has brought, dips his cloth in it and applies it to Diego's forehead.)

Thank ye, Cheryl. (turning back to Diego) He is most sick and I shall not leave his side until he recovers.

(Diego mumbles again, words that Ciaran has heard before, but was too young to know there meaning, Holy words from old texts.) Aye, he be battling again in his dreams. (Ciaran wipes the Monsignor's sweaty brow.)

I wonder if one of the most important steps on our journey is the one in which we throw away the map.

-- Loreena McKennitt

-- Stan Rogers

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

:: Jack smiles wanly at the Captain's praise ::

No need for thanks, Captain. We needed a doctor, and I was confident I could find an available one. I only hope that he'll be able to help the Monsignor.

Two things, and I'll be back to me duties; If you wish, I'll work up an after action report so you'll the truth of my travels last evening. There seem to be a few fanciful ones being concocted overnight, and I want you knowing the truth. Second, Johnson gave me the coin for paying the good doctor for his services.

:: Jack pulls the coin out of a pocket in his belt, turns it over a couple times between his fingers, and hands it over to the Captain ::

I tried to pay him last night, but he seemed a bit distracted. I wanted to make sure all promises are kept, eh?

Thank ye for your time, Captain. I'll be going back to my station. If you or Diego need anything, please ask.

June 13, 1704

"Thank you, Jack. Let the exaggeration of your actions last night remain. We are nothing if not creatures of myth in this business. We should all be surrounded by a haze of foggy details. It makes our enemies more cautious."

William smiles a little then.

"To your other duties, Jack. Please inform me when the barge is repaired, if you would."

William turns back to Ciaran and orders him to bed. Still not wanting to be too cruel with kindness, he allows Ciaran the use of one of the surgery bunks, so that he might remain in the room with the Monsignor.

:: Jack takes his leave of the Captain, and goes back to shore to see what the state of the Samson is today. His father's words ring in his memory; "Always expect what you inpsect, son. If you're the responsible party, then you must know firsthand that it's been done right." Jack smiles at the memory of his long-dead father, and quickens his pace to the barge.

Jack stops mid-stride when he see's the condition of the Samson. No mast, the yard tossed upon the sand 2 or 3 yards from the boat, better than half her planking stripped away, rum bottles strewn about the workplace, and 12 souls still sleeping off the previous night's reveries.

Jack steps lightly over the sleeping forms of his crew, climbing into the barge where he takes a seat at the bow. He pauses to regard the still-uncleaned Delilah, and draws a deep breath. ::

A FUNNY THING, PROGRESS...!!!!

:: Jack bellows this first statement, watching as the dozen men startle from their drunken sleep, frantically trying to grab something that might make them look busy ::

... It can only be measured if any has actually occured! Fancy that, eh? So! Given that Monsignor Diego lies near death, and the officers of this fine company are distracted, attending to the good Diego, you lazy droogs felt it was time to... what... celebrate? Celebrate a barge rendered bloody worthless? I've celebrated many things in my life, but never a half-started job, I'll be bound!

:: Jack looks up and checks the sun ::

It would appear to be half-past Noon.

:: He whirls back to face his men, and walks slowly toward them, his hand nervously playing on the butt of his pistol ::

Hear me, and hear me now. This boat will be replanked, caulked within and without, and remasted by four bells. And it will be done correctly. Have I made myself sufficiently clear? And no food until this work is completed. This is your doing, the lot of ye, and ye can argue with your bellies for all I care.

:: Jack turns, and heads back to the Watch Dog, smiling to himself ::

William turns back to Ciaran and orders him to bed. Still not wanting to be too cruel with kindness, he allows Ciaran the use of one of the surgery bunks, so that he might remain in the room with the Monsignor.

(Ciaran looks up in a state of disbelief)

But, Cap-ta....(sighs) (looks at Capt. Red Wake fer a long five seconds)

Sir, yes Sir. Ye know best, Captain. Thank ye Sir fer letting me rest close by.

(Ciaran sighs again and walks over to the bunk and collapses into it. Within a few minutes, he is soundly asleep.)

-- Loreena McKennitt

-- Stan Rogers

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

*Jim is delighted with John’ response…*

Arms we be needin’ but nae too many…we need ta be travelin’ light. A pistol an’ a belt knife aughta’ do ‘er.

*With preparations made the two slip into the darkness, moving north to find their Indian guides and adventure…They were not seen on Saturday or on Sunday...*

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Fatigue had finally taken its toll, the events in succesion from the hard ride over land, on to the favors asked and aquisition of the letter of recomendation from Monsieur Laurent, the hastened pace of sailing from the area in which the chateau resided to the bay and the meeting upon on the Chasse de Mer...

Capitaine Fournier had insisted that they join him for a "light" meal which had covered the long table in the Great cabin. Conversation travelled easily betwixt the three and she had caught the fleeting scrutiny cast from Jean-Micheale's glance as they had relished the aray of delicacies proffered. Tempest calculated his age to be of nine and twenty years with the passing of six, since they had last been in each other's company on Corsican shores. Those six years had done nothing to dull his fine figure of wit nor cloud decisive intelligence, and it was of no suprise to her that he appeared to have gained the status he had longed for in that past life. Acting numb to their past, Fournier graciously and without hesitation, agreed to attend the important declarations into the possesion of requested personage at Fort-de- France.

As they had left the Great cabin's confine to cross over to the waiting xebec, Jean-Micheale had caught her arm gently to pause her step as Moreau continued on. For a moment, nothing was said, they simply eyed each other in somewhat uncomfortable manner.

" I see you are well..." Tempest said, eyes dropping to the planking below.

She had been fast asleep in Capitaine Moreau's quarter's for three hours when a gentle prodding aroused her begrudginly to the waking world. Goggily she sat upright upon the Capitaine's cot and through the blear of sleepy eyes, looked upon the pleasant features of Armand.

"We are a mile out from where the Watch Dog is at anchor. Capitaine Moreau is going to stand off and on as he gets closer to send signal to assure no aggressive action on our approach. The hands are readying the launch to take us across once we have anchored outside the cove."

Retrieving a fresh cup of coffee from nearby, he offered it to her with a smile.

"Capitain Moreau sends his regards and offers that this may be of aid to your current state."

She accepted the cup and inhaled the liquid's pungent aroma with appreciation.

"Merci, mon cher...Please tell Capitaine Moreau that I am thankful for his kind hospitality and that I shall be on the decks directly."

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

:: Jack boards the Watch Dog and looks about her main deck. Everyone is standing in place, pensively staring at the hatch that leads to the sickbay companionway. Jack regards this fine example of breathing statuary, and pulls his knife from his belt. He begins to stroll aimlessly around the deck, cleaning his fingernails. ::

I was once told that the members of a ship's crew are akin to the cogs in a vast, elegant machine. And if any of those cogs were to grind to a halt, the entire machine would suffer. More and more cogs halt their work, and soon enough, the entire machine is useless...

:: An able seaman approaches Jack, barely fighting back tears. "But, sir! Monsignor Diego lies near death! We're all worried sick, guv'nah. What are we to do, but wait for word? Forgive my impudence, sir, but 'ave you no heart at all?"

Jack considers the young man's concerns, and sheathes his dagger. ::

Son, know this; Monsignor Diego is a dear friend. I more than risked my own life to ensure his care. I understand your worries, please, do not mistake that. But the Watch Dog is a living thing, as well. She needs your attention in order to survive. Diego is being tended to, and the rest is in God's hands. Your worry and idleness will not change that one whit. So busy yourselves, and make the differences you can, and forget the differences you cannot. We'll have the good Monsignor back among us, soon enough. I'll stake my word upon that.

:: Jack walks to the stern of the ship and looks heavenward ::

Don't be making a liar out of me, savvy?

Last night's quest seems to have put you in firey spirit sir."

Kendra2.jpg

"Courage is the decision to fly straight into the flame while knowing the consequences"~ The Adventures Of A Notorious Youth Capt. Hook

By: J. V. Hart

"A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving."~Lao Tzu 490-570 BC

---------

Yes, I am leaving the pub. I don't know when or if I will come back to this port. I will check in from time to time. Until then:

*raising goblet of good cheer*

" To high adventure, and wild romance....long may they endure!"

For I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content

Philippians 4:11

Twitter:

TwittKnitter

Facebook:

shanamartin1

:: Jack laughs, and comes forward to Kendra's place of lounging ::

Aye! Such is the life of a sailor. Long periods of boredom, interspersed with moments of abject terror. And what say you, this fine day? I know that my men have been somewhat lacking in their duties as to the Samson, but they seem to have found the necessary inspriation to complete the assigned tasks...

:: Jack laughs, and comes forward to Kendra's place of lounging ::

Aye! Such is the life of a sailor. Long periods of boredom, interspersed with moments of abject terror. And what say you, this fine day? I know that my men have been somewhat lacking in their duties as to the Samson, but they seem to have found the necessary inspriation to complete the assigned tasks...

Well for one thing your sitting on, the new sail it took the rest of the night to finish. *smiles*

Kendra2.jpg

"Courage is the decision to fly straight into the flame while knowing the consequences"~ The Adventures Of A Notorious Youth Capt. Hook

"A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving."~Lao Tzu 490-570 BC

---------

Yes, I am leaving the pub. I don't know when or if I will come back to this port. I will check in from time to time. Until then:

Twitter:

TwittKnitter

Facebook:

shanamartin1

:: Jack jumps up, and smiles nervously at Kendra. He then begins to examine her handiwork, and is amazed at the quality ::

Madam, there was no need for you to labor through the night on this, especially since you would have seen my men making merry on shore. But your speed does figure perfectly into my plans...

Jack leans on the ship's rail and shouts "Damn you! It's a full bell past the end of last watch! Why's that mast not remounted? The carpenter's finished, the sailmaker's finished, what prevents a dozen strong men from refitting a bloody barge?! Your food and rum rations await ye, when I'm bloody satisfied ye've completed your tasks."

Jack returns his attention to Kendra, who seems to have a bit of a smirk on her lips ::

Oh it was no trouble really, it kept my mind off other things. . .*looks towards sick bay* "I keep wanting to go down there, but I don't know the Monsingnor and I would not be much help to him in there. . .so I spent the evening under the stars, praying and doing the one thing I do best!!"

Kendra2.jpg

---------

Twitter:

TwittKnitter

Facebook:

shanamartin1

William passes the surgery on his way onto the deck. There appears to be no great change there, except that the Monsignor's arm has regained much of its color and Ciaran seems to have found sleep at last.

Once on deck, William finds the ship working as it should and not for the first time he is grateful for those officers who step up to fill the gaps during such trials.

"Mister Badger. My compliments to you and the riggers. The work lines look well placed and everything seems in order above."

William steps up to the shrouds and climbs up into the rigging. Each line feels taught and well set. He mounts to the Main top-gallant mast and allows his weight to hang upon several lines. Satisfied with all above there, he climbs the mizzen and the foremast, randomly moving along the ratlines and swinging on the stays. After ran hour aloft he decends again to the decks looking tired and refreshed at the same time.

"Mister Badger. Why sir, you've outdone yourse..."

William stops short as an overhead lookout shouts down to the decks.

"SHIP ASTERN! THREE POINTS AFT OF THE LARBOARD BEAM!"

The deck becomes a rush of feet as men join William the length of the ship along the larboard rail.

William's glass comes out like a sword drawn. An excited volley of conversation starts up along the rail, but William remains statuesque for a long time. He watches the manner of the unknown ship and the way in which her crew presents itself. He notes that the ship is fleet of foot, but she is presenting no outward signs of threat or malice. Still, ever cautious in his ways, William calls the officers together.

"Mister Badger. Have these men ready for either hosting or boarding. We'll see what she's about presently. Bring me Mad Jack."

:: Jack makes to the main deck the the Watch Dog with all speed. The Capatin has apparently called for him, and and his mind races with what might be wrong now... ::

Captain Redwake, sir! I'm here, reporting as ordered.

:: All the while, Jack is thinking "Don't ask about the barge, don't ask about the barge, the barge does not exist..." ::