Pyrates of the West Coast

Thank you Sir . I will keep this here coin put away untill needed. And Ill be off to armory Chest to fetch a musket and pistl in the Morn. Good evening Sir.

Shipwreck turns and heads down below to his hammock.

Shipwreck

Adventurer of Independent Means

TALL SAILS AND MERMAIDS TAILS, THIS BE THE LIFE FOR ME

"THEM THAT DIE WILL BE THE LUCKY ONES"

bnnr2.jpg

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cut Throat basically nods at all the suggestions Mr Hawks throws his way and finally tells him to use his descretion. They shake hands again and Cut Throat leaves. Mr Hawks will get him when it is complete. He has something special in mind. In the meantime, Jonathan once again heads back to the ship to see if there is anythign else that needs forging since the regular work is now complete. The ships work comes even before the knife.

Gets on board the ship and once again sees Red, inspecting things as he walks about the deck.

"Well, Red, I come back ta check in and see i'fn thar be anything special or left over that need fixin with me forgin. Cut Throat came ta see me ana we got an understandin thar, but me ships work comes first. "

Shoots anything that moves!!

Johnson listened to Mister Hawks suggestions with an open ear. He was more than pleased that his knife would be made by one o the greatest blacksmiths he had ever heard of.

As he shook hands with Jonathan and then took his leave, he made a roundabout and headed for the ship's weapons locker to retrieve a musket. With many hands away on errand runs, the Dog needed all the protection she could get. Johnson shouldered the musket of his choice and headed off to patrol the sandy shores....

It would be a long night. A long night indeed.

"Well, Red, I come back ta check in and see i'fn thar be anything special or left over that need fixin with me forgin. Cut Throat came ta see me ana we got an understandin thar, but me ships work comes first. "

In the morning, please report to Mister Lasseter and Mad Jack about the necessary repairs to the Longboat and the Barge. Some of your handiwork may be needed there.

Because of the lateness of the hour, consider your day closed. Thank you again, Mister Hawks.

(William finishes out the hour before his watch relief comes on deck. Then, using a lantern, he signals the all well to Mister Johnson on shore and waits for the signal to return back.)

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

"Aye Red, I will do so then. I can use me more rest. Ave a good rest."

Jonathan leaves for the fort ta make sure the forge is shut down fer the night properly before turning in himself. After doing so, he excuses his men for the night and then takes his leave to a nice soft bed.

Shoots anything that moves!!

Darting his eyes about the length of the shore, Cut-throat was relieved that there were no possible threats lurking anywhere about. After quite some time patrolling the sandy coast, Johnson's weather-eye spots the alls well signal from The Watch Dog. Taking the lantern that he carried in his hand, he held it up and gently waved it, signaling that all was indeed well upon the beach. " An a pleasant good night to ye Cap'n " Johnson said to himself. He then snuffed the lantern's light and proceeded to trail the coast by moonlight back to the mighty Dog.

After a few days ashore, Wil now found himself back on board and the solid deck of the Watch Dog felt good under his feet. Though he did his part to help with repairs to the ship he did so detest shore work. Aboard a fine vessel is where his heart lay and the reason which lead him to a life at sea in the first place.

Gunner Firethorn walked the deck a bit; paying his respect to the various officers he passed, before heading below decks to his cannon station. As he approached, his mind drifted back to the days after he left home as a young lad. Living in Dover for a bit trying to find employment on a Merchant ship, he spent many a night carousing with the ladies at the local tavern. His hand lovingly caressed the gun over the name he hastily scratched upon her…Charity.

Wil Firethorn …ship’s gunner & scoundrel

wil22.gif

~As the blackness or tne night gives way to the dawning of a new day Shipwreck arises hammock. after streching and changing his garb, he haeds up on deck to fine a fresh pot of joe the cook had finshed making . Filling his tankard with yhe black liquid he heads down to the gun deck where the armory box is and has the watch unlock it so he can get his longsword, a pistol, and as musket. after loading his weaons, and grabbing a few extra shot, he scrmbles up to the Weatherdeck~

" Permmission to go ashore" Shipwreck requested

" Permission granted " was the reply

" Off I be then, for I am on a mission"

~and with that said Shipwreck heads for the beach, off to find Mr warren and start the quest for finding a Cutter.~

Shipwreck

Adventurer of Independent Means

TALL SAILS AND MERMAIDS TAILS, THIS BE THE LIFE FOR ME

"THEM THAT DIE WILL BE THE LUCKY ONES"

bnnr2.jpg

(As the mornin' sun begins his rise over the water, a small boat is seen comin' into the cove. The skiff is filled with kegs and two men can be seen. One is sitting upright, rowin' with all his might; the other seems to be sleepin'. The boat now approaches closer to the Watch Dog and it can be seen that the rower is Ciaran, sweat pourin from his brow and look of exhaustion and distress upon his face. With him is Diego, who is bundled up, lying beside Ciaran, his eyes closed, sweat also pourin' from his brow.)

Ciaran shouts at the Watch Dog:

Help us! Someone fetch the Doctor, smartly. Diego needs medical attention. Please hurry!

(A few of the sailors who be awake hand down ropes and a couple climb down to assist. Ciaran helps them lift Diego up. The monsignor is barely conscious, his body feverish, his lips blackened and then it is seen that his left arm be wrapped in Ciaran's torn shirt and is swollen and bloody. Diego is hauled onto the deck of the ship, as Ciaran and the sailors climb aboard.)

What happened to him? someone asks.

(Ciaran is out of breath from the rowin.)

Serpent. A large black serpent bit him last evenin. We were in the mangroves on our way back from filling those kegs (Ciaran points to the skiff) with fresh water. It was dark and we were havin' great difficulty hackin, rowin' our way through the brush that hung low nearly onto our boat. I was in the front rowin', while Diego behind me. All of a sudden I heard him scream and thrash around. It was so dark, we couldst barely see, but as I turned around a great snake had fallen from a low hangin' tree and was wrappin' itself around Diego. I lunged forward to help him. The snake was a devil, fire in it's eyes. It wrapped tightly around Diego's arm and then struck. It bit his left arm and the monsignor screamed in pain from the sharp fangs. I pulled out me dagger and sliced the serpent head. Twas like cuttin' wood, it was so tough. But I cut, it's evil blood spillin' upon me hands, until at last I severed it's head. Frantically I unwrapped the creature from me matey, who had collapsed into the skiff. I tossed the creature into the black waters. Diego's arm was bleedin and already greatly swollen. Tis a bad poison I thought. Diego whispered fer me to help, to cut him and remove the poison before he died. Me heart poundin like a cannon, I cut his arm, near the point of the bite and sucked the blood, spittin' it overboard. After some time of this, I then ripped me shirt off, tying it around Diego's arm, and wrappin the rest around the wound. Diego whispered thank ye, mate, and then lay silently. I knew he was not dead and probably would not die, but must get him back smartly to our ship. I forced fresh water from one of the kegs into the monsignor's mouth every few minutes and I paddled, hacked, and prayed fer our safe return. I could not see where I was going, which way to turn in the mass of mangrove trees. Twas a nightmare. But God was with me and Diego and guided our craft all night until now here we be.

So, where is the doctor? Diego needs attention. He is feverish from the snake bite, his arm still swollen, lips darkened. Oh, hurry, he lads, get the Captain, get the Doctor!

(Ciaran is now cryin' from fatigue and worry.)

And, the kegs of water, some of ye, bring those up. It be the best water on earth!

I wonder if one of the most important steps on our journey is the one in which we throw away the map.

-- Loreena McKennitt

My fathers knew of wind and tide, and my blood is maritime.

-- Stan Rogers

I don't pretend to be captain weird.

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

(William walked briskly to Ciaran's side and stood a long while over the fallen Monsignor. The captain might have been worried, but it was hard to tell by looking at him. These were the moments when his face became the mask that hid the fear or the indecision that might or might not be there. Then in a voice both quiet, but absolutely direct in its directions he began to sound orders. Each one in succession.)

Mister Ciaran. Have these men take Diego to the surgery. Do not lend yourself to the strain, but direct them as they go. Keep the Monsignor's head higher than his wounded arm at all times.

Send for Mister Lasseter or Mister Badger. One of them shall have the deck.

See these casks put away. We'll not have the risks these good men have taken go to waste.

I shall be below.

(William followed the small rabble of men as they carried the monsignor below to the surgery. His orders came quick then.)

Place something under his head. Remove anything that constricts his blood flow. Take off those boots there. Remove his ring. Loosen his collar. Let's have some soap and fetch some clean water from the casks being brought aboard.

(William had seen his share of snake bites. Swamps in the Americas produced such venomous vermin in droves. He had seen many a man brought to death by panic and the mismanagement of his care. Too often a man was bled to draw out the poison. Better to wash a wound and let what blood a man had fight the poison then to drain him. This much medicine he knew, and was grateful that he knew it.

He tied a small cloth just a few inches above and below the bite. He was careful to not tie them too tightly. Already, the arm was in a bad way and looked as though it would never recover, but this was often a deceptive condition.

William looked around then at the worried faces that crowded the room. He tried to manage a comforting smile while he worked.)

Don't worry lads. Nor you either, ladies. This is a strong bird. One of the strongest I have met and certainly o'er shadowed by a divine and watchful eye.

(His smile seemed to redouble.)

Why, he'll be doing handsprings on the bowsprit before the week is out. Mark my words. I've seen men recover from worse bites than this.

(This was a lie, but what of that? The Monsignor would more than likely survive. Men often did. And he was a strong man with piss and vinegar running through him that would stave off any poison.)

Hell, this man is more immortal than mortal.

(Then William excused them to their duties, allowing Ciaran to stay and assist him as he washed and rewashed the wound.)

Thank you, Mister Ciaran. I can only imagine what pains it must have taken to bring this good man back here. I believe he will recover. No other man aboard might be better off than our Monsignor.

Yea, though I walk through the shadow of death, my good Monsignor?

The Monsignor said nothing.

(Ciaran spoke not, his face ashen with fear, the lines on his brow deeper. Exhausted as he was, he would stay here by his mate's side, assisting the good Captain in washing and bandaging Diego's wound. This is where he wanted to be and the pirate was grateful that the Captain allowed him to remain here. Ciaran was lost in prayer, in thoughts, in memories.)

I wonder if one of the most important steps on our journey is the one in which we throw away the map.

-- Loreena McKennitt

My fathers knew of wind and tide, and my blood is maritime.

-- Stan Rogers

I don't pretend to be captain weird.

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

(An hour passed in this fashion. Then two.

Three times, William sent for water. and three times it came.

The Monsignor showed no outward sign of change as they washed his wound and bathed his face and arms with water. William sent for a water basin and clothes from Ciaran's footlocker so he could refresh himself. Food was also fetched and brought.

The workers above went about their business. Passers by would stop to look, but only for a moment. No words were exchanged.

The bells seemed far apart.

William sent for Mister Johnson.)

Roused from his shallow slumber, Johnson's ears perk to the sounds of a a tremendous scuffling above deck. Hastily readying himself, he lept from his tiny quarters and sought out the commotion. Loe and behold, Johnson watched as hurried men carried the Monsignor to Tempest's hold. Muttered words of a poisonous snake bite flew through the air as they rushed by. " He be in the best an ablest hands now " Johnson thought to himself. There was nothing he could do for the man. The Captain knew better than he, and Tempest even moreso than the both of them put together. The only thing Cut-throat could do was wait, watch, an pray for his unfortunate shipmate......

Suddenly, one of the ship hands came barrelling down the hallway. " Johnson ! Mister Johnson, the Cap'n sends for ye ! ". Johnson wasted no time as he rushed down the hallway and into the surgery hold. " Aye Cap'n RedWake, I came as soon as I could sir ! ".

William rose from his chair, popping his back as he went.

"Mister Johnson. Please take the raft, or if one of the boats is seaworthy now, take that and go ashore. Take another crew member with you and wait on shore. The condition of the Monsignor seems to be improving by small degrees. It has certainly not become worse than before, but just the same, I should like to have you ashore. If the doctor returns today you can bring her to the ship with speed. If the Monsignor begins to languish I shall signal to you to rush off to town with all diligence for a doctor. Please take what water and food you may need while ashore, and..."

William fishes out some coin.

"...take this in case you must spur a doctor to hurry to our aid."

Johnson snapped to attention at the Captain's command. His orders were simple enough and he would fulfill them with the utmost dilligence.

" Aye-aye Cap'n ! " * receiving the coins and stowing them safely inside of his leather hip pouch. " Should Tempest appear, I'll have her to ye in no time sir ! ".

With that, Johnson hurried to the deck and chose an able-bodied hand to accompany him ashore. " You there, I'll be needin ye by order o' Cap'n RedWake. Ready one o the small boats if'n possible. We be needed on the beachhead ". The deck hand nodded his head and immediately readied one of the boats.

Within but a moment, Johnson and his delegate were rowing as quick as their oars would take them. Soon they reached shallow water, hopped out of the boat, and pulled it ashore. " All the way up now matey. I don't want the tide risin and whiskin our transport away from us, aye ? ".

Now properly stationed upon the beachhead, Johnson and his mate paced back and forth impatiently as they awaited the ship's surgeon.

" So what's yer name matey ? " Cut-throat asked his comrad. " Nigel sir...Nigel Brisbane ". Johnson nodded his head and replied. " Nicholas Johnson....pleased to meet ye mate, although, I wish it were under better circumstances". Nigel's eyes widened. " Johnson ? Cut-throat Johnson ? ". Nicholas grinned wolfishly as he added with a chuckle. " One in the same matey, one in the same "...........

June 12, 1704

William left Ciaran to watch the Monsignor as he went out upon the decks. Mister Badger was amidships and under his charge, the crew was aloft to check and change the rigging.

William watched this balancing act of sailors dancing at perilous heights among the ratlines.

"Thank you for taking charge, Mister Badger. Send word below of any pressing matter. I am to bed for a time. You have the deck.

:: The cart carrying Kendra and Simon, along with bundles of cloth, can be seen on the narrow road approaching the Watch Dog's landing. The cart is making slow progress, and Jack can be seen walking beside the horse, his fingers gently wrapped around the leather of the horse's bridle. The horse is limping on it's right front foot. Once they reach the soft, sandy soil at the end of the road, the horse's gait improves significantly. ::

:: Jack smiles a self-satisfied smile, and turns to look up at Kendra ::

You see? I told you it was not but a stone bruise. With a little rest, he'll be right as rain in a week or two.

:: Jack pats the gelding on the neck, and scratches just behind the horse's jowl. The horse cranes his neck so Jack's fingers can get at the perfect spot. Jack looks back, smiling, and sees Simon scowling at him ::

You know, mate... I'm beginning to think you don't care for me.

:: Jack glances over to Kendra, who seems to be hiding a look of bemusement ::

You did feed him today, didn't you?

:: Jack laughs to himself and turns his attention back to the Watch Dog, and notices a decided lack of normal activity. He sees Jacob Badger on the main deck, motioning for us to hasten our approach. ::

Merde. Something's gone badly wrong, or we've joined the Royal Navy.

:: Turns quickly back to Kendra and Simon ::

I'm going on ahead. I'll leave the horse to you, but no faster than a walk, am I understood?

:: Jack takes off at a dead run to the ship ::

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

Johnson began to worry for the sake of Diego as no sign of Tempest could be seen. Time was running out and the Monsignor desperately need attention.

Just then, out of the corner of his weather-eye, Johnson spied the hurried approach of one of his shipmates, Mad Jack. Waving his right arm to gain Jack's attention, Johnson hailed the sprinting man.

" Ahoy, Jack ! Ahoy ! ". As Jack reached the shore where Johnson and Nigel beached the boat, Cut-throat saw the look of question upon Jack's face and did not waste any time on filling him in on the occurrence.

" Monsignor Diego was bit matey. Snake bite. Poisoned he be. Cap'n sent me an' Nigel here to await the return o' Miss Fitzgerald to wisk her back to the Dog. I've seen no hide or hair o' her in an hour's time. We can't wait any longer ".

Johnson reached into his leather pouch and removed the gold coin given to him by Captain RedWake.

" Cap'n gave me this to fetch a doctor in town if'n Tempest doesn't show, but I've no idea where to find a good doctor. I never much left the pub an lodgin's while I was in town.....Seein' as ye' just came from there, ye' think ye'd know where to find a doctor matey ? "............

:: Jack took in Johnson's words, and his mind began to race. What ill omen is this, that our cleric should be felled by the serpent's tooth? No! Bloody children's stories! Think, you addled fool! You may have been marooned three years, of what they tell you, but the sun did not bake out all your brains! ::

Right! Give me three things: your coin, your steed, and your solemn word that the Captain and Quartermaster know that I have taken your charge and will be back within 2 hours time, with some manner of physician in tow. Savvy?

:: Johnson nods his agreement, and hands the coin over to Jack. Jack claps him on the shoulder, and throws his leg over the large bey gelding. He takes the reins and flexes the horse's neck to the left, then the right. His eyes narrow, and he speaks to his transportation ::

I don't know your name, mate. But your mission is deliverance, so I christen ye such. Shall we?

:: Jack digs his heels into the gelding's sides, and the horse leaps into a controlled run. Together, they charge off into the twilight, with the promise of Diego's life on their shoulders ::

*Slowly the cart makes it's way into the fort. *Seeing the way Jack road off like that she knew there was trouble. Simon stopped the cart half way near the ship.*

"Simon, Carry me on board. I want to see if I can help."

"What if it is the Royal Navy?"

"If it was they would be surronding the fort by now"

*He Did not like it, but he did as he was told, then took the clloth to the Barge*

"Is any one here?" *she called out*

Kendra2.jpg

"Courage is the decision to fly straight into the flame while knowing the consequences"~ The Adventures Of A Notorious Youth Capt. Hook

By: J. V. Hart

"A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving."~Lao Tzu 490-570 BC

---------

Yes, I am leaving the pub. I don't know when or if I will come back to this port. I will check in from time to time. Until then:

*raising goblet of good cheer*

" To high adventure, and wild romance....long may they endure!"

For I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content

Philippians 4:11

Twitter:

TwittKnitter

Facebook:

shanamartin1

Hearing Kendra's call, Johnson approached from behind a large palm. " Aye lass, I be here with me mate Nigel. Dontch'a be worry'n now lass, ol' Jack went to go find a doctor for Monsignor Diego. He was bit by a snake in the brush. Poison be runnin' 'em through....I hope ol' Jack can make it back in time....The Cap'n be wantin me to wait for Miss Fitzgerald, an usher her to the Dog on this here boat. There be no sign o' her anywhere, so's if'n ye want a lift to the Dog, me an' me mate Nigel can give ye' an yer gigantic friend here a lift.....but we gotta' be quick about it. I gotta' be back on the beachhead before Jack returns, aye ? ".........

That would be fine thank you!

* gets help aboard, and is taken rather quickely to the ship*

Kendra2.jpg

"Courage is the decision to fly straight into the flame while knowing the consequences"~ The Adventures Of A Notorious Youth Capt. Hook

By: J. V. Hart

"A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving."~Lao Tzu 490-570 BC

---------

Yes, I am leaving the pub. I don't know when or if I will come back to this port. I will check in from time to time. Until then:

*raising goblet of good cheer*

" To high adventure, and wild romance....long may they endure!"

For I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content

Philippians 4:11

Twitter:

TwittKnitter

Facebook:

shanamartin1

:: within 45 minutes time, Jack arrives at the town. He rides to the tavern, and leaves Deliverance tied at the rail. He bursts into the tavern... ::

Ahoy! Hear me now! Where be the surgeon of this fair town? Speak!

:: He glares at the patrons, and they return his stare, utterly agog. Jack walks to the bar, and levels his pistol at the barkeep's head ::

You. Now. Tell me, or pay dearly.

:: The barkeep backs up until he runs into the cabinets behind him, and Jack notices a large wet stain forming on the man's breeches. Studying the mirror, Jack realizes that one fool wants to play hero. He spins and fires, striking the would-be hero in the chest. Jack strides forward and snatches the pistol from the dead man's hand, and turns back to the barkeep.::

As I was saying before we were so rudely interrupted, mate. Where be the doctor?

:: The barkeep stammers a bit, then says, "Please, sir. We don't keep truck wif' pirates here." Jack's eyes narrow. ::

Pirate or no, mate, you have to deal with me. The doctor's location, please? Before you are in need of his attention?

:: The barkeep gulped, and pointed to his left. "That way, Mister. Two doors down. Bang heavy on the door. He's not a light sleeper." ::

Thank ye, mate. For your troubles, and to ensure you'll not be following me...

:: Jack takes his purse, containing his savings of 25 shillings, and scatters the coins at the barkeeper. He turns and runs out of the tavern, down to the door of the local physic. The lights are extinguished, and Jack bangs heavy on the door ::

You! Doctor! Roust yerself, by God! I need your help!

:: He hears some movement within, but is too impatient for pleasantries. He thrusts himself against the door, bursting it from it's latch, and storms upstairs. There, he finds the doctor struggling to pull a robe over his small, nightshirted frame. ::

Ah, Doctor. Just the fellow I'm looking for. Forgive the pistol; I'm in a bit of a hurry. A dear friend of mine has been bitten by a snake, and is gravely ill. I need your help. I can pay handsomely, and will provide transport there and back.

:: He levels the gun at the doctor's wife, lying trembling in the bed ::

What say you, kind sir?

:: The doctor agrees, and grabs his bag. Jack and the doctor race down the stairs. Jack mounts the horse, and pulls the doctor on behind him ::

Wrap your arms around my middle, good doctor, and no ideas!

:: Jack kicks Deliverance into a gallop, and they head to the Watch Dog at full speed ::

(William's attempts to rest are interrupted frequently by his own concerns for the Monsignor. Three times in the first hour he returns to the Monsignor and Ciaran. After the third time he chooses to remain awake and takes a chair near the clergyman.)

His breathing is better. Aye. Better, but I'd still rather see him awake.

(He notes that some of the swelling has decreased, but since he cannot know the nature of the snake and its venom, he cannot know if this is a good sign.)