Pyrates of the West Coast

Moving? But, William...Should not those quarters be left to those who would be appointed to them? I have no desire to be an inconvienece to those who are deserving. If it is your wish, than I shall accept the larger acomodations with gratitude, as long as there are no problems to arise at a later time from doing so...

As to the larger work space and its location...Better lighting and access to a greater quantity of air would be accomplished by that measure of construction. Now, I am no great expert on the doings of the Gunroom, but are you certain that this will not cause problems with its functioning? Please have patience with my questions, for it is healing that I know...not the acts of war and combat.

*Weak smile*

All of this shifting about is not going to cause issues with your personal quarters, I should hope. I understand that many of the standing walls are simply partitions and can be removed, but I have no wish to take away space from your Great Cabin or the Gunroom...I do prattle on. You do as you see fit and I will abide your choices. As I said, I am but a healer.

No, Doctor. It won't inconvenience anyone. We have no such use for space, since we have no such officers and are not likely to. The Watch Dog is a converted Merchantman and therefore, she has a smaller gun deck and most of the walls aft are permanent. A true frigate oft times has walls that can be removed, but the Watch Dog is no true frigate. As for my quarters, they are fixed, as are most of the rooms aft.

We may choose to change the nature of the cabins at some future time, but for the present I would rather see the surgery made adequate for our wounded should there be any.

(William thanks the Doctor again and goes above decks)

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

//"No, Doctor. It won't inconvenience anyone. We have no such use for space, since we have no such officers and are not likely to. The Watch Dog is a converted Merchantman and therefore, she has a smaller gun deck and most of the walls aft are permanent. A true frigate oft times has walls that can be removed, but the Watch Dog is no true frigate. As for my quarters, they are fixed, as are most of the rooms aft."//

Very well then. I shall assume that this undertaking will occure after the careening has been finished.Thank you for your generosity, sir. I am sure the extra elbow room in both cases shall be a very rewarding change.

//"We may choose to change the nature of the cabins at some future time, but for the present I would rather see the surgery made adequate for our wounded should there be any." //

To your credit, William...I must compliment you on your dedication and concern for the crew of this vessel. A sense of compassion is a rare thing residing in the hearts and minds of those in power. Tis a truth that you never cease to amaze me with your qualities. It gladdens me that you have chosen to accept your newly appointed mantle of office and I have every confidence that you will judge well under future circumstances that will present themselves.

//"(William thanks the Doctor again and goes above decks)"//

*Watching after for a moment she then sits to scribe the current entry into the Medical Log. Quill poised above the clean page, she catches her Steward in peripheral view and smiles*

Armand, would you be so kind as to retrieve a bottle of muscat from the trunk...and two glasses if you would care to join me. I shall relate to you the changes affecting us in the near future. Merci, mon ami.

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

To your credit' date=' William...I must compliment you on your dedication and concern for the crew of this vessel. A sense of compassion is a rare thing residing in the hearts and minds of those in power. Tis a truth that you never cease to amaze me with your qualities. It gladdens me that you have chosen to accept your newly appointed mantle of office and I have every confidence that you will judge well under future circumstances that will present themselves.

(William thanks the Doctor again and goes above decks. He wears that smile that only such a compliment can make as he winds his way among the busy and capable crew of the Watch Dog. He notes with what enthusiasm Mister Johnson has taken to the idea of learning the swivel guns and wonders to himself how many might fall under his enthusiastic aim. He watches Mister Lasseter manuever each sailor to his duty and marks the distant figure of the blacksmith returning with shovels at his shoulder. William watches each person in their work and marks each man and woman for future duties, still pondering on those positions yet to be filled.

Then, since there is more work than sailors to accomplish it, he strips off his coat and hat and goes to work on those lines not tended to amidst the swarms of busy sea dogs.)

me morning thoughts:

I having slept in the crows nest really miss me first ships duties, when I first hired on me first ship I was a lookout, I do love the sea so.

(anchored off the sand bar waitin for the highest tide to swing 'er around and lie her down)

I am reminded that even though we want to do something now we simple mortals always having propers perspectives realize our efforts are in strict accordances by the will of God. Well indirectly anyway as it is his master plan the seas, skies, stars, the moon and the tides as well.

It is the sabbath. I believe I'll drynk to that i will!

Gods ale is such a blessing.

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

In the absense of the Watch Dog's Master Gunner, Petee, young Johnson had been giving the deck's swivel guns some tender loving care. Though he was new to the specific weapon, the swivel gun shared many characteristics of the very familiar flintlock pistol.

With cloth in hand, Johnson began cleaning and polishing the foot and a half long mini-cannon, making sure the Captain could see his own reflection in it's shine. He removed the salt-sprayed stains upon the barrel, and made sure that the swivel turret was properly lubricated. Johnson was a stickler for readiness, and ready the guns would be.

Breakfast is ready and set up buffet style. Hope ye all enjoy it! :lol:

Thank you, Christine. This is excellent fare and it will keep the lads and lasses fit for the many hours of work ahead.

Do you see the need for any changes or modifications to the galley and larder?

Hearing Christine's call, Johnson turns from the freshly polished swivel gun and wipes the sweat from his brow. After toiling for some time in the morning sun, breakfast was a well welcomed gift. Heading down to the galley, Johnson aims to wash up properly before taking a seat with his respected Captain and mates.....

The reflection of sun on the wavelets below echoed the image of a thousand diamonds as the Surgeon paced the legnth of Main deck. Offshore breezes had picked up, but this had little effect upon the balminess hanging the air with persistance. Unconciously she wiped the sheen of persiration from brow, eyes searching the shallow depths surrounding the ship's girth. Trekking towards the bow and fo'c's'le, her focus lay intently upon the waters surround, not finding satisfaction for the lightness of hue nearby.

A local avian hung in the updraft, jeering to those below before folding wings to drop with rapidity, plunging with expertise to disapear somewhere beyond the bowsprit. Climbing to the raised deck and passing the Foremast, she stopped her progress as her eyes fell upon what she had been questing...There...two points to starboard, the pale shallow of aqua changed its tint to a richer saphire.

Climbing over the Fore rail with a dance of balance, the small bare feet touched the angle of bowsprit. A childish joy washed over her features and with an homage to the seabird moments before, she pushed off the worn plane of worked wood to the semi-cool of liquid salt below. Tiny colorful residents scattered to the disturbance, leaving no trace of their former placement. With deft agility she change direction to gain the air border above, breaking the surface to tread.

The decks looming overhead were summoned to life by the piping of meal's preperation, the scurry of feet beating the wooden surface in the Galley's direction. Having no pang of hunger, her mind dismissed the call. Rolling to lay sideways stroke, she propelled parallel the massive hull towards the stern and around the rudder to view the cove's shoreline. The distance to land is considered then dismissed with a roll backwards to float the stern's shadow.

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

(William takes his portion of food to the table and spends his time there eating and listening to the gossip, conversations and everyday din of sailors at their meal. He notes the individual and unique dialects of each crew member.

"So many nations in one hold. So many tongues.", he muses to himself." A man might life a year among this cross section of humanity and learn much."

He takes note of the new faces and wonders, not for the first time, how many of them will be here in a year's time. Fate is fickle.

Then he see Mister Johnson.)

"Mister Johnson! I wonder that you should have made such a new murder gun out of the old one. Why, I've not seen a polish on any cannon, knew or old to match the light coming off the stern swivel.

(laughs)

Our enemies shall mark us at fifty leagues. Excellent work. The gun is much improved. I was almost loathe to test it for the tarnish. The thing was apt to blow up in my face, but now...

You have taken to it with admirable instinct. You'll be teaching me the swivel before long."

"Mister Johnson! I wonder that you should have made such a new murder gun out of the old one. Why, I've not seen a polish on any cannon, knew or old to match the light coming off the stern swivel.

(laughs)

Our enemies shall mark us at fifty leagues. Excellent work. The gun is much improved. I was almost loathe to test it for the tarnish. The thing was apt to blow up in my face, but now...

You have taken to it with admirable instinct. You'll be teaching me the swivel before long."

Thank ye Cap'n. I just figured, if'n ye're gonna be sendin a man to his death with it, ye might as well give em somethin pretty to look at while ye send em below !

*The lull of the sparse wake caused by the "Watch Dog's" forward movement had dispersed as the galleon moved onward to the cove, a bright glint of sun reflecting as a wink from a polished surface, from the aft. Time's existance was marked only by the call of seabirds and the intensity of the sun above which was doing its best to cook what exposed flesh was offered to its whimsy.

The glare and heat radiating from above was bordering on discomfort, when the Surgeon crack an eyelid to see that the galleon's ornate stern was further away than thought and heeling towards the shoreline. Leaving the prone position upon the fluid bed, she dove below to cool to return treading the surface. A fleeting impression secured the knowlege that gaining the ship was a rediculous concept, so to shore it would be.

The familiar jeer of the Avian Native called from above as she turned to make progress to the near distant shoreline.

(yawning and with a masterful stretch and a widening stance to compensate me own weary muscles) I sees the light of day announcing work and plenty of it. I made haste into the galley for a cup of joe. Goodmorning Christine might I beg your pardens for a piece or two of fried pork strip and a scone?

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

*After feeling the brush of the shallowing water's sand strewn bottom, the Surgeon raised herself with a sidelong survey of the galleon's progress within the encompassing borders of the cove. Sheltering her eyes fron the reflective glare cast from the liquid surface, Tempest noted the activity swarming about the decks in response to the call of orders playing on the breeze.

The fortitude that had been under dilligent construct, lay to the right and was a greater distance to traverse compared to the line of palms and white sand to the left. Movement caught her peripheral and glancing to its direction, the notice of a smallish skate undulated by under the power of water inclined wings to dissapear into deeper soundings. Choice of bearing made, she slogged to the left as the offshore breeze met to struggle for power and standing against those of onshore nature.

Wet sand gave way to the dusting of dry, powdering the careful placement of step to the nearest Royal Palm and its spray of shade to the temperate glow from above...*

:: with the direction of the QM, Bo'sun Badger skillfully manuvers the Wtach Dog, closer to shore, near the fortifications... As Mad_Jack and his crew on the ships bardge pull away, until their work is hampered by the making soft contact with the sand bottom of the cove ::

*Taking speaking trumpet in hand*

!!AVAST PULLING MAD_JACK, SHE'S BEACHED WELL ENOUGH!!

::turns to the Bo'sun::

Fine job there, lad...

:: walks over to the lee side of the quarterdeck, (salutes Captian by knuckling forehead) ::

Cap'n, we's run aground fer careenin'... as th' tide turns, shall I 'ave th' crew bring down th' top masts an' rig th' tackle ta shore?

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

*Hearing a hail from the distance, she opens her eyes and leans forward from the palm acting as a support to her back. Squinting to the glare, cups her hands to relay a respone...*

"Good morn to you, sir! Just trying to obtain some relief from the heat, as it were. The water is of fine temperment to my realization, prime indeed!"

*Pushes away a bothersome strand of hair that clings to her cheek*

You are well this day?

::knuckles forehead::

Aye. Aye, Cap'n...

*takes speaking trumpet*

!!ALL 'ANDS ON DECK!!! PREPARE TA DISMAST AN RIG TACKLE TA SHORE!!!

BO'SUN, RIG OUT ALL SHIPS BOATS FER INSPECTION AN' CAREENIN'!!!

LADS, DO A RIGHT FINE JOB AN' YER GETS AN EXTRA TOT FOR TH' EVENIN' MEAL!!!

*sets trumpet down*

Tha' aught ta put aspring in their step...

:: pulls a kerchif from his pocket, wipes brow ::

Hmmmm... need ta make sure 'r water barrels 'r full, n' all r' gettin' plenty....

:: walks about the ship, giving a word of advice here, lending a hand there, making sure everyone is doing well ::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

*feeling a sudden stop of the gentile rocking motion, Petee slowly opens one eye and looks around, sits up and streches. Ruubing his head, he notices that he is almost fully healed. With another stretch and yawn he slowly gets out of his hamock and goes above deck.*

Petee-2.jpg

(cupping me hands to accentuate the news) good surgeon there is no regrets in fact I have jes learned of a rum double rations this end of workday evening!

(turns to face Captain Redwake and our goodly quartermaster) "gentlemen" (nods with a significant effort) "goodaye"

Might I offer up me fine ability and start the fires for the pitch pots? What say how bouts on yonder beach outa the wind on the post morn change?