Last Pirate Talk

Red Maria

This is at the Huntington Library in San Marino, CA. That's where I work:

Lecture: “The Last Pirate Talk”

June 2(Thursday) 7:30 p.m.

Robert C. Ritchie, W.M. Keck Foundation Director of Research, will talk about the nature of 17th-century buccaneering and the myths that have been created about it. Free. Friends’ Hall.

I am not really too sure how many pirates out there know what the Huntington Library is? I have been there several times (over 20 years ago) with my mother. (She loves the library) . Anyway if anyone out there would like to see it online its quite the collection on an awesome piece of property. The home of "Pinky and Blue Boy" The Huntington Library This place is great and should be on anyones list of places to see when in So.Cal

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

will talk about the nature of 17th-century buccaneering and the myths that have been created about it

Awwwh man............... dang..... that sounds raly good..... so close... but yet so far......... (six to eight hours away) have to realy look and figure if I could make it.............

<Mumbke grumble..... so close... but so long to get there...but it would probablybe worth it wanna...yah..canya..maybenot.... rats...but you wanna...yah...)

I'd love to attend that lecture, even a lecture remotely like it. But here in Minnesota, the best I can manage are lectures like

"Norwegian Humor, and Other Myths"

"Lutefisk - It Does a GI Tract Good"

"The Evolution of Ice Fishing"

"The Synergy of Scandinavian Stoicism and Bland Food"

"101 Things You Can Do with Ketchup"

"The Zen of Snowblowing and Ice Removal"

:unsure:

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

June 2nd. I am sooooo there...smile.

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...

If you wanted to check out the collection here's the online catalog:

http://catalog.huntington.org/

Try a subject search pirates. The advatage I have is I can check out rare materials at my desk. Right now I'm reading.

The grand pyrate: or, The life and death of Capt. George Cusack the great sea-robber. With an accompt of all his notorious robberies both at sea and land. Together with his tryal, condemnation, and execution. Taken by an impartial hand. Licensed Novemb. 19. 1675. Roger L'Estrange and

An exact narrative of the tryals of the pyrates. And all the proceedings at the late goal-delivery of the Admiralty, held in the Old-Bayly, on Thursday and Saturday, the 7th. and 9th. of Jan. 1674/75. where eight persons were condemned to die: (viz.) Capt. George Cusacke, alias, Dixon, alias, Smith. Gerrard Coundon. VVilliam Collingwood. Gerrard Stack. Henry Lovewell. Simon Harker. and Miles Fitz-Gerrard. For taking and robing two ships, viz. the Robert, neer the Fly: & the Ann, on the Dogger-sands. And John King, for taking and robbing a ship called the Palm-Tree; neer Harwich. As likewise the fineing of an Ostend captain 400l. and two of his officers 50l. a piece, for not strikeing sail to the Woolwich, one of his Majesties frigates. And many other circumstances there, very remarkable: the like court having not been held for many years before

[London :|bs.n.],|cPrinted in the year: 1675

Apparently Cusack was a famous pirate in the mid-17th c. but he's not gerally well known now.

Thank you!

That is very interesting :)

I don't know him either but that makes it all the more interesting to read about him and get to know him.

Impressive library as far as books on pirates and piracy/pyracy (I searched under both and found under both) is conceirned.

I am reading a book myself which was first brought out in Dutch called Americaense zee-roovers in 1678.

Later it was published in English by William Crooke under the name of Bucaniers of America.

Two months later a reprint in English came out under te name of History of the Bucaniers, published this time by Thomas Malthus.

Both English books were translations out of the Spanish version of the original Dutch book.

Henry Morgan file a legal complaint against both books/men as his deeds and characteristics would be displayed all wrong.

Malthus didn't stop selling it though but the English king Jacobus 2nd wanted good relations with the Spanish and sought out the case personally.

Malthus was then fined for 200 Pound.

Etc, interesting book.

The man who wrote it was sold twice himself on Tortuga before becoming a pirate himself and he has experienced piracy at first hand.

Apairently if one was a poor worker of a company and the company in question went bankrubt the worker was simply sold...

Nice time :D

hero.jpg

Great, i will definitely do so!

I've written him down but right now..i cannot buy any books (Need to save for my LA trip in two years time...yep..i am thát poor :o ) but i hear almost anything can be found as ebooks on the net..would you know if his works are too? :o

hero.jpg

I don't think they are. I looked for a long time. Now there IS one site that has scanned pages from an early edition of his book. So you can read him online, but unless you have a good broadband connection it's impossible, and even with broadband it's tedious at best, because the page images are scanned so large at hi-res. But I enjoyed it for the first ten pages or so, then I headed to abebooks.com to buy them.

Here is the online site:

Dampier Text

Like I said, it's not easy going, but it will give you a taste of the action.

newbannersigtar0db.gif

Great, i will definitely do so!

I've written him down but right now..i cannot buy any books (Need to save for my LA trip in two years time...yep..i am thát poor :D )

If you're coming out to LA rmember to contact me about getting passes and a private tour from me for the Huntington! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Just a reminder that the “Last Pirate Talk” is this Thursday 7:30 at the Huntington Library. It is free and will be held at Friend’s Hall which is to your left as you enter the entrance Loggia.

Hope to see you there