Master and Commander: the film

capnwilliam

;) i've only seen it once, but really enjoyed it. wil have to wait til i'm better off financially before i can get it. i just wondering if there are any plans on bringing any more of that series of books to the big screen. ;)

~snow :D

with faith, trust and pixiedust, everything is possible ;)

if it be tourist season, why can't we shoot them?

IWG #3057 - Local 9

emmf steel rose player - bella donna, 2005

improv cast member and dance instructor - fort tryon medieval festival

lady neige - midsummer renaissance faire

Actually I thought the movie was under-rated. I have it in my "Bar Collection" and tho POTC has warm wonderful Disney characters(I really liked it too) It wasnt as Real or believable as I believe M and C was supposed to be.

2 completely differant ideas of life in the 18th century for sure.

Yes I have watched it several times as well.,I would have to say Master and Commander kicked royal butt.. and would love to see more adventures of Captain Jack Aubrey and the Surprise.

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

My husband and I own a copy of the box edition of this film. Unlike the single disc edition, the extra disc has a vast wealth of information in regard to production of the film and the author, Richard O'Brian. I can recomend it highly.

The one thing to note, is that the film is a conglomeration of twenty of the twenty-one books in the series. (The twenty-first book was released this past November as an unfinished work.) Master and Commander is the title of the first book in the series, Far Side of the World is the tenth.

Richard O'Brian was very thorough in his research and the series contains a wealth of knowledge though they do not read in a dry way. I will say though, even though he was a modern writer, his writting style is more of the Dickens era. The first of the series is a bit rocky, but all smooths by the second book and continues as such by those that follow. I have made it through eight and am currently taking a breather before continueing on.

To make of note to the piracy condentation, Captains and Post Captians of that era did not receive a large alotment of pay, generally speaking. Being that that was the case, the success in obtaining a "prize" ment extra money for everyone involved. A successful venture could produce more money than a crewmember could make in a year's wage wence the divy of share was produced. This explains the drive for obtaining "prize ship's".

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

Aye, Aubrey puts the prize in SURPRISE! the special edition movie is more than worth the extra doubloons! I bought the single disk one by mistake first!

I'm just finishing up book three...The Surprise. just after they debauch the sloth! LOL! I LOVE and admire how Patrick O'Brian can go from pages of technical ship stuff (midshipman explaining rigging to Dr. Maturin) but also manages to let us explore the romantic and sensitive sides of his characters. Sea battles, riggin and bodice rippin! And don't forget pirates!

There is even a companion cookbook with a recipe for Galapagos Islands pudding.... Can't find the title right now though! Anyone know the title/publisher?

Something clever I just found on the web...while looking for recipe book in vain.....

TEST FROM: http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=xhapless

I made a test for Master & Commander fanatics! :D Just check which ones apply, and tally at the end.

1. Do you own the ‘Master & Commander: The Far Side of the World’ DVD?

2. Do you own the ‘Master & Commander: The Far Side of the World’ Extended DVD?

3. Do you own BOTH?

4. Do you suddenly flaunt your Irish-Spanish heritage, authentic or false?

5. Have you EVER imitated the French captain from before the battle scene in the film?

6. Have you watched numerous Russell Crowe films simply to see dear Jack Aubrey?

7. Have you watched numerous Paul Bettany films simply to see dear Stephen Maturin?

8. Have you ever attempted some form of surgery on ANYTHING simply to mimic Stephen?

9. Have you read all twenty-one Aubrey-Maturin novels?

10. Do you search incessantly for anything written by Patrick O’Brian, EVER?

11. Do you succeed?

12. Do you read them?

13. Do you purchase numerous items at outrageous prices off the Internet, only because they have something Aubrey-Maturin related on them?

14. Do you run around town wearing an Aubrey-Maturin related tee shirt in the hopes that Peter Weir will see you and cry “Rock on!”?

15. Do you run around town wearing an Aubrey-Maturin related tee shirt in the hopes that a really physically attractive person of the opposite sex will stop you and ask if you really like the Aubrey-Maturin series, too, then insist that you study together about Nelson at the library some time?

16. Is the first question you ask someone upon acquaintance, “Have you seen ‘Master & Commander’ yet?”?

17. Did you take up the ‘cello or violin after having seen ‘Master & Commander’ or reading the books?

18. Do you insist that, upon your birthday, that you want a floating Galapagos Islands pudding instead of a cake?

19. Do you promise that you will cook the part that has calf’s foot jelly, because that is just gross?

20. Do you swear that you will name your first child Jack or Stephen?

21. Have you ever been to the HMS ‘Rose’?

22. Did you completely max out your memory card on your digital camera and/or used ten rolls of film on your regular camera when you went?

23. Have you ever asked your parents (spouse) to go to the Galapagos instead of Hawaii that summer?

24. Have you ever constructed a Diana Villiers voodoo doll?

25. Is your pet named after an Aubrey-Maturin character?

26. Do you insist that Blakeney is a meaningless pawn in Peter Weir’s battle to wipe all knowledge that William Reade ever existed?

27. Do you know who William Reade IS?

28. Have you ever debauched a sloth and/or something quite close to a sloth?

29. Have you ever walked into an antique shop for the sole purpose of finding a Breguet watch like Stephen’s?

30. Have you ever used a real French naval perspective glass?

31. Do you stop every time you hear the word ‘man-of-war’?

32. Do you beg for your parents (spouse) to send you off on a Baltimore clipper for two months while it sails to Hawaii?

EXTRA CREDIT (WORTH SEVENTY BILLION POINTS IF ANSWERED CORRECTLY): Was the film completely and utterly, UNFATHOMABLY faithful to the books? If not, how?

0-9 points, Normal Seaman

Congratulations – you are sane. You don’t exactly go all out – far from it. You enjoy it to some extent, but let’s not get carried away. Still learning the ropes.

10-19 points, Captain of the Tops

Any and all things related with the Age of Sail are fun topics for you. Still fairly adequate when talking about something BESIDES Lord Nelson. Geez. Capable while hanging around the ratlines.

20-29 points, Post Captain

People get a little concerned when you start on about Thomas Cochrane. Your time in class is mostly spent wondering how the hell this is relevant to the War of 1812. Hopefully, it’s just a phase.

30-70,000,000,030 points, Admiral of the Fleet

Good Lord. You are the master/mistress of all things Aubrey-Maturin. Get a life, would you? Make way, pitiful denizens! You’re blocking the Extremist’s view from the quarterdeck.

70,000,000,032 points, Chief of the Admiralty

You apply for every single one. Honestly. You even got the extra credit. You need mental help. Right away.

Stormfeathersiggycopy.jpg

Ah...The sloth. :D:D Poor creature, but a most amusing sequence of events. Wait until the you encounter the collection of marsupials from New Holland. :D:D

And here is a true stumper to add to your test. What is Maturin's full name as known in Catalin?

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

DECK!! OK, guys, I think we've moved more than a bit away from Twill type topics on this one. I'm going to move it over to Pirate Pop.

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

There is even a companion cookbook with a recipe for Galapagos Islands pudding.... Can't find the title right now though! Anyone know the title/publisher?

The book is called "Lobscouse and Spotted Dog" I got it a couple of Christmases ago, and I either lent it to a friend or mis-packed it while moving this past January.

It's a very entertaining read, but I didn't have the opportunity to actually make anything from it before misplacing it.

I have "Lobscouse and Spotted Dog", as well, and made a spotted dog for Christmas... different, but good!

Touche'

Ship's Marksman & Crab Fiend

Pyrates of the Coast

"All the skill in the world goes out the window if an angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket."

"Florida points like a guiding thumb, To the southern isles of rumba and rum, To the mystery cities and haunted seas, Of the Spanish Main and the Caribbees..."

What I found to be exciting was the way the company actually got inside the ships crew offering a look into the infra structure of the certain tasks and duties of (for the most part) each of the wood workers (during repairs) and blacksmiths making braces. the doctor and the truly captivating things always going on in depth in the background which captured my romantic immagination. I never witnessed the close to look at the real work the company did so well you could almost smell them.

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

• 2 months later...
What I found to be exciting was the way the company actually got inside the ships crew offering a look into the infra structure of the certain tasks and duties of (for the most part) each of the wood workers (during repairs) and blacksmiths making braces. the doctor and the truly captivating things always going on in depth in the background which captured my romantic immagination. I never witnessed the close to look at the real work the company did so well you could almost smell them.

That WAS great, Diego; and I love the way you put it about "almost being able to SMELL" the work! :)

One thing that confused me was the doctor and the loblolly boy taking part in the battle. Seems as though they'd have been too busy patching up the casualties; nor would atackers be likely to have molested them. (Would YOU attack one of the few people in a thousand miles who could patch up YOUR wounds and ailments? :angry: )

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"