Making a baldric

As the costume of Belladonna Bess progresses from something that looked suspiciously like a heavily-armed bellydancer in a cocked hat, to something that is more obviously pirate, I'm slowly adding more piratical accessories.

The latest thing I want to add is a baldric. I'm not game to attempt making one myself, but I have found a local craftsman who I'm told can make pretty much anything from leather (I'm not asking for too many details over exactly what that means, but I've seen enough of his "family-friendly" work to know that he is good).

However I need to tell him exactly what I want. I've seen quite a few nice pictures of baldrics, but little or nothing on how they are made, how the sword fits in, how the other weapons are attached, grade of leather required etc.

I'd like to supply the person who is going to make the baldric with good detailed information so it turns out right.

So, anybody got any ideas?

To explain what I want - my costume is totally non-authentic and likely to remain so for the forseeable future. However I'm interested in knowing accurate background information, so if anyone can point me to discussion on this I'd be really happy.

I'll have to be making some arrangement to carry some small metal bottles attached to it somewhere, since while Belladonna Bess carries a sword and a dagger, her main weapon is her extensive botanical knowledge (deadly nightshade etc).

And on the subject of swords, how are baldrics made adjustable for different swords? Currently I have a very nice-looking sword that I carry around and threaten my prisoners with, but this sword is very good for one purpose (balancing on yer head while you do pretty undulations and shimmies) and I don't plan to use it for piracy in the long term.

Anyway, any discourse on the subject be most wlecome.

THis is a personal item., therefore you need to really think about your kit as a whole. Some throw alot of differant items together and look great ! Others look tattered and old,m and still others look new. Most of my gear looks pretty new., not new thrown into a mud mixer which gives the authentic look., lots of browns., therefore you gota think about your over all desire. My self I have 3 coats 2 black and one Blue velvet frock., with this in mind,., I thought ablout most of my metals. Most are gold (Brass) for example a sea service pistol has brass accents., therefor I included brass on my swords.

Back to the baldric.,I chose a DARK brown almost black leather with a brass buckle and hardware., decorated with alot of brass rivetts in a diamond pattern. to attach the scabbard there is 5 mini belts with brass buckles.

If most of your jewelry and other pieces are silver., some use cloth., and have several colors depending on the outfit?

I guess I wasnt much help., but choose wisely.

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

Thanks for your responses.

Diego, I've found a few things, but if you have any sites you recommend or know of some particularly good pictures, I'd be keen to see them. And since I'm not in character in this forum, it is quite safe to drink with me (and if ye be buyin', I won't complain).

HarborMaster, I'm pretty sure the colour will be black with silvery metal, as most of the shiny bits in my costume are silver (although there are some small brass bottles...). My character wears lots of black and red because of the "Black Widow" theme in her life story. The arrangement you describe with the small straps for attaching the scabbard are one thing I need details of - any chance of seeing a close-up picture?

Jolly O'Grog Rogers, I don't have a wooden mug, I'm afraid I drink my (usually highly dilute) grog from a plastic bottle (I have a nice glass bottle, but carrying a glass bottle at some of the events I'm at is a bit risky when there are barefooted people everywhere and you are playing a little rough at times).

But before you all recoil in horror, I hand-wove a flax (NZ flax or Phormium tenax) case for the bottle so you can't see the plastic. It is the only thing in my costume that really has any serious historical accuracy. Although the idea of making a plastic bottle cover is modern, the material and form are traditional Maori weaving (a shape known as the kono, primarily used for throwaway food baskets).

Belladonna Bess, Blackjohn posted the address for the "Sutler Webring" in (Plunder) "My youngest mate requested garb...where to look" I poked around some of the sites, and there is one that has some realy good pictures of baldricks that they sell, (sorry I can't remember the exact site) but you may wanna check it out......