Horsehair Interfacing

Capt Grey

A while back someone, I believe it was Master Hawkyns, was talking about horsehair interfacing for coats.

One of my online fabric supply sites is selling a bulk roll of this interfacing for a very reasonable price:

http://store.trimfabric.com/lx-593.html

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

Probably good for those back east events, but out here in the west, arrgggghhh- too hot.

Besides, I couldn't possibly wear something made from a horse's hide, tail etc. - that's sacrilige to me! I use to own and show horses in my younger years.

Rumba Rue

** :blink: **

I wouldn't wear it against my skin, but I believe someone was referring to it as an interfacing in the "old days" (before we had the wonderful iron-on stuff).

I had horses too, Rumba. :huh:

hook_banner2.jpg

A while back someone, I believe it was Master Hawkyns, was talking about horsehair interfacing for coats.

T'weren't me. I've heard of horsehair for stuffing and padding things, but not woven as cloth. I talked to a spinner and they weren't too impressed with the idea of being able to spin the stuff, it being too coarse and stiff. They made the point that it was a limited commodity, too, since the only hair that would be long enough would be the mane and tail, unless the horse was *really* shaggy.

I've got a couple of horsehides on the rack now waiting for projects. I'm thinking of making some of my Roman kit (marching pack, scutum straps, etc.) from it. I wouldn't kill an animal for just the hide or tail but when the horse is dead, why waste the bits? Horsehair just strikes me as way too prickly dor clothing sorts of things.

Hawkyns

^_^

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

I suspect that it might make a decent interfacing material. I have an antique rocking chair (1860's vintage) with the original upholstery fabric still intact. The fabric is made of woven horse hair material. It is chiefly black in color with the occasional lighter color piece of hair intermixed. It is rather stiff, and has a sheen to it. It probably looked quite elegant when new.

I have seen other examples of furniture of the 1800's with intact covering identical to it also, so I think the material was fairly common at least at that time.

>>>>>> Cascabel

The fabric is a mixture of horsehair and cotton (if anyone read the linked page). And yes, it is for in-ter-fac-ing not actual clothing. Interfacing: the stiff stuff you put between your coat fabric and lining to keep the collar stiff or add weight to the jacket.

(Not quite sure why no one understand this concept; it's in the thread title ;) )

Just trying t'help the historically accurate, mateys. The normal price on this 20 yard bolt is $125, so the sale price of $60 is quite good.

horsehair.JPG

hook_banner2.jpg

I do believe that it was used later in the 1730-1780s to flair out the sides of the Justaucorps.....

But it would make a wonderful pirate thong.... don't you think?

GOF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Horsehair interfacing is still used today to interline high-end Saville Row suits (and upholstery). The best stuff is 100% horsehair because the addition of another material (like cotton) only serves to soften it, which is not what you want in an interfacing. You can also find synthetic horsehair interfacing in tailoring supply stores. But it's not nearly as good as the real thing and doesn't breathe worth a damn.

Use of horsehair interfacing can be seen in tailoring as far back as the Elizabethan period. And I bet if we had more extant garments from eariler, we'd see it in doublets as far back as doublets go. It's great stuff and really does the job of making the coat/doublet/justacorps hang properly.

Kass

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

It's woven. I don't think you can felt horsehair. The hairs need to have curl to them for the felting process to work. Felting horsehair would be like trying to make dreadlocks on a person with pin-straight hair. :ph34r:

Your friendly neighbourhood obscure textile knowledge geek,

Kass

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!