New cutlass available

Capt'n Corbin

Del Tin is THE BEST Sword maker on the planet... bar NONE! It will be worth the wait. Their blades are considered by those who actually USE swords to be the best.

:rolleyes: Barbossa II :lol:

Well....

Speaking as a swordswoman who gets paid to fight, (meaning I use my weaponry a great deal) I'd not say they were the greatest on earth. Truth is the del tin's I've used I've had to replace with other, stronger blades that take more wear. They even state that they are for collecting for the most part, not for use.

I've learned that if I need a weapon that will REALLY function under hard use I have to have it made.

Del Tin is nice to look at though.

(shrug) Just a working lass' opinion 'tis all. :lol:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Historically speaking, swords were never intended for hard blade on blade contact (despite what you see in the movies). Swords were designed to cut, slash or stab soft portions of an enemy's body. Generally speaking, a shield or armour would be used to block any incoming blows and the sword would be used offensively.

If you want a sword for blade on blade combat, you should look to other sources than Del Tin. Renactment blades have rebated edges and are generally more heavily constructed than historical swords were. In fact, Del Tin swords generally lean to the heavier side of the historical spectrum. Not ahistorically so, just a little heavier and beefier than average.

Granted, "swords," as a general category, were never intended for blade-on-blade contact, but you are technically including epees in that same category, which were specifically intended for nothing except blade-on-blade contact.

Speaking of which -- does anyone know what happened to Santelli & Co.? I got all my fencing equipment from them, had no contact for a year, and they now appear to be non-existant.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

I've learned that if I need a weapon that will REALLY function under hard use I have to have it made.

Del Tin is nice to look at though.

(shrug) Just a working lass' opinion 'tis all. :ph34r:

Right on the money as usual, Bess. Del Tin blades are tip-heavy and a bit slow. If you're looking for a functional cutlass, I would stick with a custom piece. Cost ya $500 or so, but will last a lifetime. Or restore a historical naval cutlass ... they're found fairly cheap sometimes. Little bit of elbow grease is all that's needed.

Wartooth

The Italian sword company Del Tin has this cutlass now listed on their website.

Wait time is listed as approximately 9 months, but tis such a pretty sword :lol:

It's a very pretty blade. Any idea how much it costs? I couldn't find a price on the website and I'm too lazy to email them.

On a mostly unrelated note, I wonder what they edited out of the upper right corner of the picture.

On a mostly unrelated note, I wonder what they edited out of the upper right corner of the picture.

Most likely advertising text... it may be a stock photo from another source with descriptive text that they no longer liked.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

I would be curious to know if it is a "Full Tang" blade thru into handle?...., or is it a rat tanged sword as are so many others?

I do not know..., does anyone else?

If it is not then you may be left with only but a handle in your hand., and it should not be weilded at speed out in your yard....,A full tang., assures you that you actually have a grip on it.

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"