Plus size Pirate Coats

Atala Syrcuse

Been thinkin' o' adding sum Xtra large coats to me cargo, but was wonderin' if'n there be a need fer such a thing. They be 52 and 56 if'n I made them.

I was also wonderin' if'n any of ye scurvy dawgs be wantin' some fall-front breeches. If so, what sizes ye be wantin'?

Psi Phi Cargo

291681265_m.jpg Drink Up Me Harties Yo Ho!

Being a costumer who specializes in large size people, yes there is a need, however, if you price the coats and pants for too much, no one will buy them. You have to look past the extra materials needed and put a price tag that will bear the market. Trust me, there ain't a whole lot of people here or elsewhere that are going to pay more than a couple of hundred dollars for a coat, the money just isn't in the pockets.

So before you decide to do this, think real hard.

I sew because I like to not because I'm looking to make some bucks. If I get a few dollars out of something I made for someone that's fine with me, but I'm not going to make a living out of it.

I keep my prices at what I know I can afford to pay, not what the general cost of materials and time will afford me.

Rumba Rue

**The best part of valor is discretion**~Horatio Hornblower

I definitely think there's a market for the larger sizes, based on what I've seen at places like PiP. I'd offer them - but I'd keep track of the costs... no need penalizing the larger folk pricewise, except to cover the cost of the additional material.

And I think drop fronts are a great addition as well - I don't have time to make the more intensive items so I go out and buy them - often from unlikely places... And I and my mate do pay more than normal for stuff if we like it enough. Diosa was just marveling at an outfit she put together from PiP that ran her 500... she doesn't have that much in her work or home attire. But she did look smashing in it!

So trim those sailcloths. Full steam ahead! Steady as she sews, lass!

The Captain

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Actually I thought the prices were fairly cheap. I have two nice frocks custom built for me to my particular wants and needs.,(this would be altering their design to MINE ! as well as fabric choices for actual sea worthyness) and I am currently working on another frock with a west coast frock maker., and these coats have all costed me much more than the ones we are talking about. I wish I could have gotten mine so cheap., and I am only a size 44 chest. :lol:

:blink: my only question is why there is no karousing and participating in the forums., except for only to drop an advertisement to buy the garments. There are no other posts except for that? Kinda like this a cheap place to advertise to the pirate at heart without really associating with them ? :lol:

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

This be the Plunder section, HarborMaster. We allows folks t'advertise their wares here because other members be lookin' fer swag. And Atala Syrcuse has participated in other threads in this topic.

Rabble Rousing and Beyond Pyracy be t'place fer carousin' matey! :ph34r:

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

Thank ye all fer yer replies an advice. The plus size coats won't cost but mahaps $10 more than the ones I already have seeing as the pattern don't calls fer any extra trim. The plus sizes don't call fer pockets either, but I's put them in anyways.

Any advice on what size breeches ye might be looking fer? I'd be much oblized.

If you are planning on making it it tends to be less horribly expensive. The other thought is making buying base colours (cream or white cheaper in some instances by the yard) then dying them to the shade you want. It's an idea. :)

I'm making my own trim. I'm still working on it, but if you see something you like I can send you the instructions on how I did it. I have some antique books that I got the patterns from that suit this period of time.

I'm plus sized myself, and everything I've ever done for enactment I've made myself with the exception of a few pieces that I bought. Sometimes it's easier to make than buy, but that's up to the person doing the sewing.

If you want someone to make something for you, haggle about if you can use your own fabric vs. theirs. Sometimes that'll shave cost off and you'll be able to pay for the labor.

Smooth Seas

Isabella

Rumba, I am proud that you believe that way. So many costumers say "bigger the person bigger the cost" starting to sound like South West and their "if you don't fit into one of our regular seats, you have to buy another" mentality. I am glad there are still fair costumers out there. I always did much for plus size men/woman, and did the same kept the costs down, and the made it resonable. It's the only way to stay floating, and fair.

Thank you Isabella.

Just an example of over-priced plus size clothes: I went into a Plus Size women's store a few days ago wondering if I could find some nice velvet dress pants. Sure they had them at $54.00 and up. Arrrggghh!

Went next door to Mervyns and found the same pants in the women's plus size section for $35.00.

It's really ridiculous that us women who are of plus size forms must pay far much more than the item is worth. Do you think I would pay the higher price thinking I was getting a better deal and better made? Of course not, I'll always look elsewhere for something cheaper.

That's why I don't want to penalize plus size people of any gender, ok so it takes a little more material, big deal. If the buyer is happy with the fair price and with what I've made, then so am I.

I can tell you I sold a waistcoat and matching breeches for a larger person recently for $120.00, including postage.

I don't think there is anyone here that could or would do the same.

Now of course don't everybody jump on the bandwagon and expect me to do the same for them. It was a case of having some extra material laying around for years from another costume I made which I used up and kept the cost down. If I had to buy the material and trim, I most likely would have asked a price of at least $175.00 or more, but not more than a couple hundred at best.

Another person here at the pub asked me to make him a decent head scarf. For $6.00 I have turned out a nifty head scarf that even my companion wanted!

I truly don't want to rip people off, and am not looking to make a whole lot of money. I enjoy what I do.

Rumba Rue

**Cecile B. DeMille wannabe** :)

An' I thought me cost were low! I wouldn' a have pot to piss in if'n I priced them any lower! :lol: Me plus size coats run $150, but that only covers the cost o' the extra material! I charges $10/hour fer the labor, which around these parts is half the going rate! I'd still like ta make some fall-front breeches, but no one wants to say what size they be wantin'/needin'! :lol:

I actually bought a plus size coat a couple of weeks ago, but once it got to me I realized it wasn't what I really wanted.

So, I'm now offering it to anyone else who'd want it.

I don't have an online picture, but it's the pirate frock coat offered by Very Merry Seamstress, and you can see the picture online at

http://www.verymerryseamstress.com/pirates.htm

the materials on my coat are black cotton velvet with a black and red brocade, and lovely gold accent buttons. It's sized to fit me, but since it laces up there is some leeway (52" bust, 44" waist). I'm trying to sell it at cost ($175), but all reasonable offers will be considered.

If you're interested contact me, ajmargolis@yahoo.com

AJ