Pirate Mythtory

Fox

Didn't you thinly disguise the fan club as the Bonaventure Tropical Fruit Fly Organization?

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Auction??? we have to pay to be in Foxe's fan club?

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

we have to pay to be in Foxe's fan club?

Well...Yeah...

But the membership cards are really cool..... tongue.gif

membership cards? damn i just got branded with an "F"

bannerad.jpg

...and then I discovered the wine...

membership cards? damn i just got branded with an "F"

That's because your cheque bounced...

'Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana'. I forget who said that.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

I'm pretty sure it was Groucho Marx.

Not to get OT (if that's even possible at this point), but everyone should see a Marx brothers movie at least once in their life. Quality entertainment with a capital K. I suggest starting with The Cocoanuts.

This will in no way help with your pirate flag research, however.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 1 year later...

I just came across a pretty interesting article about a pirate called Lines in a copy of The Dublin Weekly Journal from 1725. Theres a good description of the "black silk" pirate flag they are flying. Plus it seems Lines had his eye shot out but no mention of an eye patch unfortunately.

"Philadelphia, January, 22. We have Advice from Barbados, That the barbarous Lines, formerly Consort to Sprigs the Pirate, and his Crew were taken aud carried unto Curacoa.: The way they went to be try'd was thus, the Commander went at the Head, with about 20 other Pirates, with their black silk Flag before them, with the Representation of a Man in full proportion, with a Cutlas in one Hand, and a Pistol in the other extended, as they were much wounded, and no Care taken in Dressing, they were very offensive, and stunk as they went along, particularly Lines, the Commander, who had one Eye shot out, which, with part of his Nose hung down his Face; there was a Master of a Vessel re-taken with them, whom Lines had snapt his pistol at several times together with an Intent to shoot him thro' the Head, but it missing Fire so often, he threw it down on the Deck, and swore he would not kill another Man while he lived : One of the people immediately taking it up fired it off at the first Trial into the air; and it was God's Will to prevent him from breaking his Oath, by putting him in the Way of the two Sloops soon after. He confessed, upon his Tryal, that he had killed 37 Masters of Vessels, besides Foremast Men, during the Time of his Piracy."

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Dw0UAAAAQAAJ&dq=The%20Weekly%20Journal&pg=RA1-PA143#v=onepage&q&f=false on page 239

bannerad.jpg

...and then I discovered the wine...

That is a most awesome find, PoD! "LInes" is surely Philip Lyne, who is known to have been hanged at Curacao and to have lost an eye, but I had never heard the detailed description of his flag before! That is also the first case I have heard of a pistol figuring in an authentic Jolly Roger, although William Red Wake has made some stupendous modern pirate flags with pistols in them.