Nautical Christmas Ideas...

BoneHunterLane

I was shopping at a wood-working site I frequent - (well, it does no harm to look, right?) and found some nautical items of interest.

The web site is http://www.leevalley.com and they have neat tools for woodworking and for gardening, and they have reprints of books, and other neat things. However the interesting naval ones are the following:

1. 2 wooden ship models (they are skeletonized, but look nice) to assemble. The set of 2 sells for $22.95 (yes, that is $22 dollars and 95 cents) - the Cutty Sark and the Santa Maria. I found them by searching for wooden ships. They are supposed to be intermediate level.

2. Books. They have quite a few naval books - I couldn't resist the 'Sailing Ships at a Glance' book for $6.50... quite a few reprints.

3. They also have a bosun's whistle (British Navy) reproduction.

I quit looking around at that point, as I'm trying to not spend any more until I've plundered a gold galleon or something.

Have a great time shopping everyone.

:huh:

Oh, another place to shop (aren't I just the helpful lil' pyrate...???)

At Barnes & Noble, I found a book (it claims to be a children's book, howe'er I found it in the regular fantasy section...) by Tanith Lee, entitled "Piratica" - the subtitle is "Being a Daring Tale of a Singular Girl's Adventure Upon the High Seas".

In the bargain section, I found a small book called: "A History of Pirates: Blood and Thunder on the High Seas" by Nigel Cawthorne (it was priced at $7.98)

Yr' humble elf...

In the Sunday's Charlotte Arts & Books section, the following are listed for gift ideas

1) The Nautical Chart by Arturo Peres-Reverte. Havest books, 466 pgs, $14: "Spain's best-selling author combines mysterious characters and rumored lost treasure with a search for a Jesuit ship sunk by pirates in the 17th century"

2)Defining the Wind: The Beaufort Scale , and How a 19th Century Admiral Turned Science into Poetry, by Scott Huler, Crown Press, 304 pgs, $23, "NC writer Huler's account of the scale that describes wind velocities should please anyone who likes vivid, accessible and passionate writing about science."

Perhaps there should be a forum on drinks as defined by the Beaufort Scale. <_<