I needful suggestions for a wench outfit

Hi there,

my name is Sarah or Mary Sue Phonix (me pirate lass name). I went to the Kanasas City Ren Fest this year for me second time in a row and I had a lot of fun. But sadly I could not spend a lot of money or time on making a costume ahead of time since. I am planning on goin to two anime convention later this year, as well as a few family trips. lol so money is kind of short sometimes at my house. So I had to use somethings from my house and go dressed up as a Hobbit.

And even though I really liked my costume and had lots of fun playing the act. I still couldn't help but feel slightly jelous when I saw other people with their had made outfits that looked so amazing looking. So I wanted to get some advise on how I could make a really good looking outfit for Ren Fest (ahead of time) lol without spending an arm and a leg making the thing.

What I was really wanting to try and make my self was somthing like a wench outfit (lol let see if I can to explain this from my minds eye): a white poofy shirt on the top part low cut (of course with clevage) a courset like bodice on the outside...helping mak the celvage..lobl maybe a black color I would say, and a light brown dress that goes just a little above the ankles.

Well thats what I would like to try and make if you guys have any better outfit suggestions please tell me them. Also if would help at all I can try and see if I can get a casual picture of my self up here..

maybe that will help for visual aid anyway I would really apricate it if I could get some help thank you

SD

I'd like to say that I'm rather a beginner at this too, but it's not really true. I've been making costumes every year, year round for at least 5 years. I've had experience in both making (sewing) my own costumes and making the accessories, and in buying and commissioning. I've gone to comic, science fiction and anime conventions so I know what it's like to try and make crazy costumes like from Guilty Gear or InuYasha. :D

Most of us here on the boards are cheap. Yep, we're pirates on a budget, but I suppose that goes along with being a pirate, lol! I'm sure many of them will give you good advice... start looking in the other Plunder threads on where to buy, how to make, and what to look for for many items including hats, sewing patterns, weaponry and more.

Anyway, to get to your question, there are many things you need to consider when making a costume, especially if this is your first. If you know how to sew, or have ample access to someone who does like your mum or grandmother, then you're HUGE steps ahead of the game! Sewing your own costumes is one of the cheapest ways to make a good costume, and not only that, have pride that you made it youself!

Okay, to make your own, you will need to first look at patterns. Fabric shops like JoAnne's are great places to start. There are several patterns that are very pirate wench like that you can use. Be aware though that you don't only look at the pictures and how the particular model is situated. Some of my favorite and some of the best patterns are ones under the label of Renaissance Faire "maids" or "peasant" patterns. Try Simplicity patterns, McCall's or Butterick.

The costume you're going for is probably the typical Ren look with a pirate flair. Fancy hats, sashes and coats over this type of dress look great for wenches. You'll need a bodice, an overskirt, and either a shirt or a chemise. The chemise is a long shirt that acts as an underskirt and a shirt.

Next, you look at the fabrics to make your costume out of. For the chemises, shirts and underskirts, use only NATURAL materials like cotton or ideally, linen. Unfortuately, linen is both hard to come by and very expensive. Try online shops or eBay for buying linen by the yard.

Accessories make most of the wench, so you may want to spend some time buying or making those. A lot of those accessories you can buy at ren faire, so save up some money and keep a sharp eye for things you like next faire. Mugs, swords, sword frogs, fur tails, daggers, brooches and pins, feathers, etc. are great. The hats, I may say, are the best to buy at faire or from Jas. Townsend... buy yourself something called a "hat blank," which is a stiff, plain black hat you can mold. For those, you hold the hats over steaming pots of water and literally mold the hat to the shape you want. Popular styles include the tricorns (like Capt. Jack Sparrow's) and the musketeer-style with one side folded up. Afterwards, people like to decorate them with trim, feathers, pins and brooches for a personalized look.

If you don't want to sew or make your own, another cheap way to do this is cannibalizing and throwing together one from already-made items. Bodices with boning are hard to come by in regular clothes, so if you only make that and buy the rest, you're good to go. Go to vintage stores and look for shirts with flared or puffy sleeves, with or without ruffles. Wide and airy skirts of thin or breathable material are good. You may want a full length dress and have a bodice go over it. At vintage stores, you MUST look at the scarves bin for items you can use as sashes to go around your waist.

The other, more expensive option is to commission other seamstresses to make a costume to your measurement, or buy the pieces yourself from other merchants. This a good link for merchants from No Quarter Given. If you find good seamstresses, you can get a whole dress made to your exact measurements for around $100+. It's pricey, but it'll look right.

Hope this helps, tell us how it goes for you and post pictures if you got 'em!

You can also look on e-Bay for ren-type clothing. Use Ren or SCA in the search; although I'd wait until after Halloween.

I have a great Ren dress I bought on e-Bay for $180 that I'm converting for pirate wear. It has a short chemise (like a shirt) and a black underskirt. The outer part is like a jumper with the bodice attached to the overskirt. The overskirt is split so the underskirt shows through.

My only modification is to turn the underskirt into slops (pirate pants) and wear boots with the outfit. By adding a pirate hat, pistol, and sword belt I'm ready for adventure on the high seas. :D

Also Claire (Poison Quill) had a thread on a lady who makes great dresses for around $70-$80. I'll see if I can find it for you.

Nope, that thread has been automatically deleted. Sorry. You can always send Claire a PM and ask her for the info.

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

Next, you look at the fabrics to make your costume out of. For the chemises, shirts and underskirts, use only NATURAL materials like cotton or ideally, linen. Unfortuately, linen is both hard to come by and very expensive. Try online shops or eBay for buying linen by the yard.

Imho, skip the linen and go with cotton. Why? If the goal is a Ren Fest costume, and not something historical, the money saved could be put to better use elsewhere.

Blackjohn

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Thank ye both for the advise, if I can do this right I am hoping all I need to make is the unershirt and the bodice (maybe the skirt..but I am hoping I can just find somthing at a used clothing store.) I found a very interesting patter at a web site called alter years.

http://community.webshots.com/scripts/edit...security=iypiET

The link above is what it looks like, it priced at 10 bucks whitch I think sounds pretty cheap. And probaly making the bodice is going to be my best bet since you don't see bodices floating around very often now a days.

I do know a bit of sewing, I am better at sewing somthing when I have other people around with me helping me out with it.But usually if I run into problem my mother or my grandmother are very good with helping me out with things.

I do have kind of odd question to ask, do any of you guys know. Any places on-line that I could find a patter for a chemise lol or one of those big baggy shirt things lol I am not with my vocab cuz I have only been doing Ren Fairs for two years.

Also this might seem slightly annoying on my part..but I think just for fun I am going to try and darw and picture of how I want this outfit to turn out as kind of a hopefully visula goal for myself.

If you know sorta how to sew... then I'd agree with blackjohn.... in the beginers section are instructions on how to make a chimesse (sp).... (the womans blouse... nightgown... underwear thing........)

But browse the site.... it has a lot of very good information....

.... and I was going to sujest that for a proper wench... all she would need would be a torn skirt...... kinda shows you what a sexist pigdog kinda pyrate I am........... :D

.... and I was going to sujest that for a proper wench... all she would need would be a torn skirt...... kinda shows you what a sexist pigdog kinda pyrate I am........... :D

I like dogs, but I don't know about pigs. :D

If you want good patterns, try Googling "Simplicity patterns" and "McCall's" who also make Butterick. I find it's far easier and more rewarding to go straight to fabric stores and look through their pattern books, huge volumes of pictures of all the different brands of patterns. Look always under the costume section.

Cap'n Grey had a good suggestion, though. Claire's seamstress is awesome! I've commissioned two things from her, and she's just so kind, helpful, and has great visions for dresses. She's also quite cheap for making the entire dress for you!

Well rats, I wanted to ask a techincal question but I sort of needed the link to the pic to work...lol hopefully you guys saw it already or know what kind I am talking about. If not I can try to see if I can post the picture up there any better.

lol anyway I had a weird idea for the outfits up part...what if after I got the pattern for the bodice all made. I sewed on some sleves on the sides of the boidice where it goes up..(the bodice has small lil straps that go over each of the shulders. and I wanted to have a baggy shirt kind of thing to wear underneath...but the problem was. if I was wearing a shirt it would cover my chest and not let me have any cleavage. So I thought why not sew the big puffy sleves on to the bodice. I'm not sure but I do't think that would affect how tight the bodice was, when I need to tie it up..I think it said the laces where in the front.)

Anyway tell me what ye think...lol like I said I am new to this sooo this might be crazy idea and it might not. (by the way the kind of look I am going for with the sleves if you all are wondering is somthing kind of like what Jack Sparrow wore. Think of the beach scene with that baggy yet puffy shirt that he has on...but just more for a female to wear.)

shirtless under a bodice is the absolute height of trashy renfair reject. Wear a shirt. There are shirts that are low cut enough to give the cleavage you desire, with out entering on bondage/trashy/sex wear. I've never in all my years at renaissance festivals had trouble with cleavage and wearing a shirt under my bodice.

The Duchess

OK this isn't period.... but I call it a "slut top" worn under a bodice it can be worn as low as you dare, and you wont "fall out"

Basicly the body is a tube, with a casing for a drawstring at the top (don't use elastic or you WILL fall out...)when worn, the drawstring should be slightly snug, but not tight... The puffy sleaves are also tubes with a casing at both ends and elastic to fit your upperarm and wrist ... the wider you make the sleaves .. the puffier they will be.... . the sleaves are attached to the body with a few stitches in the armpit. so when it is worn, it looks like the sleaves are falling off your shoulders.

I've made a few of them for lady...errr... female friends... and even tho I know they won't fall out of the top... I'm looking along with everyother guy to see if she will...... "There's nothing like a lowcut bodice to keep a man on his toes...)

lol

Ye be in the right place t'find answers t'yer questions, lass.

:(

Be sure t'post a pic when ye get yer outfit together.

Speaking of which, would anyone have suggestions on how to make pants like the character "Raphael" in Soul Calibur II? (The black pants with the red panel on the sides)

Sir Nigel - aka "Sir Freelancealot"; aka "Ace of Cads"; aka "JACKPOT!!" (cha-CHING!)

"Mojitos BAD!...Lesbians with free rum GOOD!!!"

Let me just first of all say that I totally agree with Duchess. That does sound totally trashy lol as I said right now I am trying to brain storm through ideas as of right now. And I do apolgize for sounding dumb or crazy at all! I think the reason I was thinking of that crazy idea was really because...I am not the most well in dowed lass in the middle area if you catch my drift. :( and so I was not really all that sure if I would really have all that much to show even when I make this. Or how I could make it so that I could have at least somthing showing.

But thank you for steiring me clear of the RenFest trash queen, I would rather pick up on the ideas that are wrong to do now, then later on.

Patrick if I maybe so bold as to ask ye if you could kindly forward the information on how to make on of those tops please. (you can PM it to me here or if its somthing with more detail you can always email the inf to me.) I have a feeling you would be a good person to get advise on costume help on. From what I see in your avator you like quite dashing in that costume. It looks extermly nice (lol that is if that's really you). And again thank you all for your help..I can not experice enough how greatfull I am to all of ye.

Mary,

If ye want to accentuate yer "treasure chest", they have patterns fer low-cut bodices that lace up under yer, ummm ... bosom, that will really put 'em out there instead o' covering 'em up. (Hope I don't sound uncouth). Try Simplicity pattern #9966 View A. It has just such a bodice. If that's not yer style, there are many different types of bodices if ye look around.

Hope this helps,

Broadside

Every normal person must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats! - Lucanus

Mary Sue, think of a bodice as a WonderBra; it does a lot with a little.

Here are a couple of basic patterns I use. The one on the left is a chemise (in two different lengths) and the one on the right is a bodice.

chemise.jpgbodice.jpg

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

OK.... I got the page to work (when publishing a web page it is VERY important to get where you send the page EXACVTLY right.......)

Anyway.... if you go to Patrick Hand's page and scroll to the bottom of the page, there is a drawing of the "slut top" that should explaine what I'm typing about........

El Pirata.... if you keep reading this subject.... someone might even say..... nipple.......

And on a model here:

https://pyracy.com/gallery/details.php?...527&mode=search

I think the shirt I have is bit more robust than the one you sketched. The body portion is more fitted, though of course you can't see that. :) Mine is made using elastic rather than a draw string. But note that there is lots and lots of leather that does the supporting and essential covering, so I don't need to rely on the shirt for anything.

The Duchess

Dutches..... awh but showing your arms ........ see how nasty you are (unless you are a washerwoman.........) :ph34r:

What is period... and our modern concept... Hey.... lets play.......

Yah this "top" is not fitted.... the bodice does that...... but it is "dirt simple to make...... (and it has to be worn under a bodice/drendal...or she would be in her ...gasp... underwaer...) (oh yah... and as promised to El Pirita.... the clothe has to have enough "density" or your (HEY EL PIRETA HERE IT IS) nipples will show through the cloth.... I figure all the ladys and females can explain how to or not to "poke" through......

I figure .... what she needs....is a top/blouse (slut top is a bit more fun....), a bodice/drendal (ok once again NOT period.... but accepted so therefore ...ok) and a basic gathered skirt..... then ACCESORIES.......

I'm a guy pyrate..... dang..... I have sewn (eeergh... I make anamal mascots for a living...... eeeergh... I'm a seamster.....) anyway... I've made slut tops skirts and bodices for a bunch women who wanted "garb" Mary Sue appears to be very "new" at all of this..... so simple ... hey "heres how to do it....." seems appriot......

hey did you go to my page and see th' drawings.....?

well, if we really wanted to discuss period, the shirt would be the least of my worries! I'd probably be killed for a heretic/witch or "bad woman". And lets not forget that at 25 I'm an old maid.

My very first fest clothes was a long dress with sleeves and all. But the place I worked at involved lots of running up and down ladders, leaning over railings, climbing onto balconies, and throwing large buckets of water onto people. So within a week my first dress, evolved into a completely different range of attire for safety reasons.

The Duchess

:rolleyes: *blush* lol well yes Pat I am new to this..lol but having fun lil conversations like this make it all the while...lol besides I need all the help I can get I think. lol I mean my last out fit at a Ren Fest (KC) was a HOBBIT...lol a male hobbit costume..that I made out of my own cloths around the house..so I needs help from you guys as much as possible. (oh and dutchess by the way I love the outift in the pic you look really good in that). I truly hope some day I can meet a good amount of you guys..so that we can continue these interesting conversations..in person..lol and even might let Pat try to look down me shirt. :ph34r: