hotels

I just decided to attend. This will be my first year and my first time in the keys. Can anybody give me some tips on choosing a place to stay. I'm looking for the reasonable end of the prices. I am milking this trip off hubby as a 20th anniversary gift.

Also, looks like flying into Miami will save us over $100. apiece. Anybody else going to do this. How might it work out?

Our Krewe, The Pyrates, will be billeting at the Holiday Inn Beachside... a little farther out but reasonably priced. We're also flying into Miami - the savings paid for a big van to cart us around. We're taking a red eye in and then driving down as a group - stopping along the way at whatever catches our fancy. I recommend doing the same and renting a car in Miami. Then pick a hotel that has free parking down in KW. Check out www.piratesinparadise.com for a list of sponsoring hotels - they'll have the best rates. I know the Holiday Inn has a good rate as does the Sheaton All Suites if yer to liken a bigger space.

We look forward to meetin' up with ya and we'll have to hoist a flagon in yer honor!

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

• 2 weeks later...

For more reasonably priced motels, you would be well advised to not stay in Key West if you can help it. (That is assuming you have your own transportation.)

Much more reasonable prices can be had on the other islands leading up to Key West. Marathon is about the half way point in the chain of keys, and barring traffic problems is maybe an hour's drive from Key West. There are LOTS of islands between Marathon and Key West, and all of them have a lot of the older type "Mom & Pop" motels with reasonable prices. The closer you get to Key West, the higher the prices seem to get. My thoughts on it would be to start looking when you get to Big Pine Key, which is about 45 minutes from Key West. That is where I stayed before I became part of the cast. There are small motels on all of the islands, so check on the way to Key West, and decide which is more important, convenience or saving a considerable amount of money. Of course, if you don't have a vehicle with you, this advice is null and void !!!!

>>>>> Cascabel

We want to stay on Key West. I will have transport, but only because it's alot cheaper to fly into Miami and then rent something to drive down. I am getting some reasonable prices in the $75.range but I don't want to stay at a dive. Don't need anything fancy, just clean, preferably with a pool. And since the car, I will need a place offering parking. I am wondering about some of the B&B's.

This is also our 20th wedding anniversary.

I believe the hotel sponsors on the Pirates in Paradise site have special rates for participants. I'd call around and see what you can come up with - you may also be able to score a hotel only package - if you get too close to Old Town the parking is a problem, but further out (Raddisson, Holiday Inn, etc.) they have free lots for the cars. We ran into that same issue...

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

• 1 month later...

A QUESTION FOR THE KEY WEST LOCALS:

Does anybody know about the Santa Maria Hotel off Duval Street in Key West?

I just found a great vacation package for two people at $1042.31 from Nashville, Tennessee to Key West, Florida.

It includes hotel+flight+car. That is an incredible deal as far as I can tell. Of course, the hotel is listed as one-star (*) accommodations.

I figure it's kind of shabby, but we won't need it other than sleeping. However, if it's in a skanky neighborhood, I want to be forewarned.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Arrgh!

:(

Capt. WE Roberts

"I shall uphold my indignity with the utmost dignity befitting a person of my undignified station."

My thought is that if I stay too far out, every time I want to do something I will have to drive and find parking. Is it possible to stay close enough to the action to be able to walk around, without paying too much for my room? I live in a tourist town and know what it's like to try to find parking and to accumulate a stack of parking tickets. I'm not sure how Key West is laid out. On my island, which I believe is comparable in size, there is not much you can't walk to.

Grace,

Expedia.com states in the description that the hotel is located one block off Duval Street, which is walking distance to some of the things at the festival. That's one reason why I wanted to book there. I marked a street map with the sites of the festivites listed at the Pirates in Paradise Festival site, and Duval Street area seems to be the closest and best bet, unless you want to take Cascabel's advice and look for the Mom and Pop places once you arrive in Florida.

:huh:

Capt. WE Roberts

"I shall uphold my indignity with the utmost dignity befitting a person of my undignified station."

I was also thinking about here. A friend recommended it.

http://circumvista.com/keywestbandb.html#Rooms

or here also recommended

http://keylimeinn.com/

They will run a little bit more then the other place but they come recommended and get good reviews on alot of web sites. Seeing as it will be my 20th wedding anniversary I may splurge the bit extra. First I have to see what I'm going to pay for airfare.

Before booking a place on Duval St., you need to find out where on Duval it is located. Duval is a quite a long street, and if you are on the wrong end, you will be no where near the festivities, and have a very long walk, or need take a taxi. You need to see that you are near as you can be to Mallory Square and the Green St. area.

>>>>> Cascabel

Me lady and I are registered at the Atlantic Shores Resort. Yes, it's the other end of Duval Street, but by the chart, it's no more than a mile and a quarter, a reasonable walk by my standards. Does that sound right to those with more experience of the place? And it is on the beach, always a consideration.....

Hawkyns

B)

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

The walk isn't bad to the Atlantic Shores area. It's a pleasant walk. During out time there we covered all the points, including up and down Duval on a daily basis... with a stroller no less. Time passes by nicely on the walk. Plus the Bone Island shuttle runs around the island regularly if your tootsies get tired.

As for parking - geez, it is a torture. But it's a balancing act between paying top dollar for being on or near Duval or coming from a bit farther away for cheaper. Key West is only 2 x 3 miles roughly so you can't get too far out. We'll be at the Holiday Inn Beachside this year, farther out but fine as we don't plan to be there except to sleep. Why go back and forth all day when the fun is at the festival, the restaurants, bars and attractions? Just plan your days ahead to avoid the back and forth action. And be prepared to get some exercise as bicycles and feet are still the best way to get around.

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not too picky about having a hot and a cot but the back of my Jeep has served me well on previous trips. Is there a law againts sleeping in a vehicle in Key West?

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.

• 2 weeks later...

I would try American Airlines - but you'll always get gouged flying into KW. About $150 to $220 more than if you fly into Miami. We're flying direct on a red eye and arriving at 9 a.m., then driving down to save costs. The airfare from Seattle was $280 going that route. As for hotels, check the manifest of sponsors at www.piratesinparadise.com - they all offer special rates for the festival. Be sure to call them direct don't go through the regular national reservations route. Packages are fine, but they typically put you up at the 4 star resorts and hotels and who's going to be hanging around the hotel any way.

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

Many thanks to ye, Hurricane.

I have been scouring the Internet, trying to find the cheapest fare. I can't seem to be lucky enough to get through when the prices are good, though!

On 9/30, I was shocked to find out that the trip I was about to buy from expedia.com had been marked down from $1100 to $980. Of course, my Internet was on the fritz, and I had to shut it down. That was right around eleven at night.

When I checked expedia.com again, it was 10/1. And, buddy! What a difference a day makes! As soon as 10/1 rolled around, the price jacked up to over $1200!!! That's insane! I'm thinking about going the route of flight+car in Miami and hotel in Key West. That seems to be the best deal. Anyway, Bob the Swab says he wants to drive Highway 1. Besides, Key West is only 4 miles x 2 miles. It won't be that bad.

Any other suggestions greatly appreciated, maties!

:lol:

Capt. WE Roberts

Aye, that was the same problem we be runnin' into. Going into Miami be cheap, but getting a package in the keys was piracy at its best. So we went the piecemeal route and got better deals and more control. We opted for the red eye to arrive first thing in the morning so we had the entire day to navigate our way down to KW with the necessary stops along the way for grog and rations.

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

Topless...(giggle) I like that! Now, AliasGraceO'Malley, I'm certain you're referring to your Jeep. ;)

Anyway, I found the best way to travel to the PIP festival. I logged on to Priceline. I named my own price for flight+hotel+car. My honey has decided that he really wants to drive part of the way, which took a chunk off of the initial prices. We're flying into Ft. Lauderdale (from Tennessee, $200 per ticket-including taxes; etc.) and taking a rental car to Key West. It's close to 200 miles, but he says he likes driving. Plus, it'll be at night, and there will probably be less traffic.

Anyway, when I went to bid on a hotel, I bid at $50 per night, including taxes. My price was accepted, and we were bumped up to a two-star hotel, the Fairfield Inn Key West. This was at least $10-20 cheaper than booking a one-star hotel through any of the other methods that I had tried.

We also got the rental car for six days at $25 per day, including taxes. I believe I bid $19. With added taxes and other fees, it came to $155.02.

Overall, the vacation I expected to spend $1200 on came to just about $907!!!! I love spending less money! Especially when it's $300 less money!

;)

Capt. WE Roberts